Status: Completed

Psyche

3

The cold liquid seems to make the rough patch in Girlie’s throat harden, but she sips her cup of water greedily to try to find any comfort she can. She and Jamie sit in the counselor’s office, looking at one another with composure. The simplicity of the office displays ease, yet Girlie has a headache.

She looks at Jamie and his hair has been cut short, leaving his ears uncovered. His cheeks are a tinted red and his eyes are clear. He looks considerably better than Girlie, but she wonders if he’s just acting. She also wonders if he can see what a mess she actually is.

The counselor begins talking but all she hears is a quiet hum instead. She keeps thinking about Zack. She wants everything she found out about Zack’s past to vanish. She doesn’t want to tell Jamie he’ll have to testify against him for Zack to finally go away for good. She wants Jamie to get well, so they can go home, and everything will be fine again.

After awhile Girlie tunes the thoughts out and listens when the counselor goes into how Jamie has been making progress. Jamie slouches further in his seat like he doesn’t think so.

When he glances at her, she smiles and hopes he can feel her love for him, her forgiveness. He’s suddenly a small child again, and Girlie can remember holding him and telling him he was everything good in the world to her. He still is.

He must hear her thoughts, because he suddenly grabs a hold of her hand. He doesn’t let go even when it’s time for her to leave.