Status: Completed

Psyche

4

He keeps thinking about how Girlie looked when the counselor said he was “improving.” Jamie feels too humble, like he doesn’t deserve it. But at the same time, maybe he has been because his head has been a bit clearer lately, in a way.

He doesn’t know what his opinion to form on Solstice. At times he thinks they try too hard with him and he feels like screaming for being stuck here. Then there are moments when he’s talking with Nolan and maybe someone else from group and it’s all so ordinary. Like he’s with Alexandria and they’re hanging out.

Maybe he is getting better. Whatever that means.

*****

Yet when they tell Jamie he’ll be going home in two days, he’s absolutely terrified and all he can think of is not lasting a week before he’s back at Solstice or going somewhere else.

Then he thinks of the word home again and for the first time the word brings him joy.

He tells Nolan this on their way to group therapy, walking a bit slower to delay arrival. Nolan finally stops and looks at him with a thrilled expression.

“Seriously?” he exclaims. “That’s awesome.”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do. It’s gonna be weird,” Jamie says.

“It always is, but it doesn’t last long,” laughs Nolan, and he ruffles Jamie’s hair for added effect before Jamie punches his hand away.

“You still think I’ll be okay?” he asks cautiously. Nolan peers at him tentatively for some time, his grin slowly widening as he shakes his head.

“I know you will, kid.”

Jamie figures, if Nolan and everyone else believes in him, they must be right.