Status: Completed

Psyche

8

Alexandria keeps rainbow-colored pens and markers on her at all times. And currently, Jamie has the words Call Alexandria the Lame written in blue and purple ink on his wrist. The words are almost bigger than his entire wrist.

“Call me when you get home, or whenever you have time.”

On the bus ride home, he grips his wrist while his throat feels as if he’s swallowed a bottle of soap detergent and now the bubbles are erupting giddily in his stomach. His brain alters from Jean to Alexandria to the point of causing a headache.

Jean’s paying attention, a little attention, side attention, to him. Even if it’s because of Alexandria. Jamie’s trying hard not to feel jealous, but he’s never been in envy of a friend (are they really friends?) before. He doesn’t know how to deal with it.

He gets off on his stop and strolls up Merlyn Street until he sees the mousy brown house he calls home. He unlocks the door to say hello to Girlie, and instead stumbles on his words.

The man glances up at Jamie from his place on the couch, and the heat pooling in Jamie’s side bursts the bubbles and leaves a sour residue.

While Jamie wasn’t paying attention to Girlie this morning, she had said Zack would be here today.