Status: Hello all my amazing readers! I am currently re-editing all my chapters and plan to post new ones soon :)

Mistakes of the Heart

Welcome to Belmont

Waking up this morning was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. It was like my whole life changed within just a few seconds, even though it actually had been a few months. Hearing that you have to switch schools halfway through your senior year, isn’t exactly what any high school student wants to hear. I mean I’m all for starting new and embracing change, but I never expected anything like this.

Here is the thing: One of the best parts about going to a new school is the fact that no one knows who you are. They don’t know anything about your past and have nothing to judge you by. You get a fresh start - a clean slate. But going to a new school in the middle of the year is a completely different story. While you are just barely becoming familiar with everything, everyone else is already used to his or her classes, teachers, and friends.

I just cannot stop thinking if it wasn’t for that one day – that one stupid mistake – I would not be in this situation.

I would not be on a plane destined for the infamous Belmont Boarding School. I would not be worrying about making a good first impression as the “new girl”. I would not be wondering what would happen if anyone learned about my past. And, most of all, I would not be lost in unsettling thoughts of what my future awaits.

I constantly replay the moment my parents broke the news to me a few months ago.

“ Why are you forcing me to do this? Do you really think shipping me off will make a difference?” I shouted.

"Melanie, this is for the best. Everyone says that they have an excellent academic program and you get to make brand new friends!” exclaims my mom as she gives me her usual reassuring smile, as she avoids all eye contact.

”But mom! How can I leave now? It’s the middle of my senior year and I don’t want to make any new friends! ”

“Your counselor and the judge said that a change of environment was in your best interest.”

“But… but… IT’S IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! I can deal with your sending me to a new school, but is shipping me off ten hours away really necessary? And seriously, what kind of school is built on some random island?” I say as I frantically wave my hands in the air.

“ Just give it a chance, Melanie. Your not exactly in a position to be arguing with us right now.” she accused.

“ This is just completely unfair! I don’t understand-“

I am interrupted by my father’s harsh voice. “You don’t have a choice.” He says with a stern look on his face.

That’s when I realized that I really didn’t have a choice. In fact, I never did.


Maybe I should have fought harder. Or maybe it wouldn’t have made a difference. But either way, I am still on a ten-hour flight on my way to who even knows where. Plus, my level of tolerance for people was fading each minute that passed by. I was in no mood to deal with anyone today.

When I finally arrive, I see a man holding up a sign with my last name, Tyler, in bold letters. As I approach, who I assume is my driver, I put on my best fake smile and stick out my hand.

“I’m Mel…” But he just abruptly turns around - ignoring my outstretched hand.

“Follow me,” he says shortly.

Talk about a warm welcome. Once I get all my bags in the car and sit down, I realize I have no idea where I am going, so I try to start up a conversation.

“Thanks for picking me up. I was just wondering, how far away is the school from here?” I ask.
No answer. I figure that he probably just didn’t hear me, so I clear my throat and ask again.

“ Do you know long does it take to get to the school from here?” After a few awkward seconds of silence, I finally look at him and he has an annoyed expression on his face.

He sighs loudly and then says, “ I don’t have time to deal with your right now. Do I look like a tour guide?! I spend enough time carting around all you spoiled brats.” I could hear the venom in his voice. “But if you’re really that concerned, it takes about three hours.”

Great. Three hours in a car with him. Like, seriously, what is up his ass? I wouldn’t necessarily label myself a “spoiled brat” either. What kind of school is this anyway? Well, there goes my plan of trying to hide my annoyance. There is no way I will be able to disguise it now.

As I sit in the unsettling silence, I look out the window and notice giant oak trees scattered everywhere. It almost feels like I am in a tropical forest, preparing to start my new adventure – if I can even call it that. Then, I see rows of the biggest houses I have ever laid eyes on, lined up along the beach. Each house was unique in its own way, but they all had to be worth loads of money. I was about to ask jerk-face over there about them, but I thought better of it. It is just one more thing to add onto my list.

After three uncomfortable hours of forced silence, we finally arrive at Belmont Boarding School. Looking at the school made me feel like I stepped back in time - like Medieval Times. The school looked ancient! Seriously, where the hell am I?

As I was stepping out of the car to get a better look of the school, someone crashes straight into me, causing both, him and me, to fall to the ground. I felt my heart beating rapidly and my annoyance level bursting though the roof, but I managed to muster up an apology.

“I am sorry! I swear I didn’t see you there,” I say as I pick up papers that are scattered all over the ground. As I look up, I find myself face-to-face with one two of the most mesmerizing blue eyes I have ever seen. And to top it off, he looked like he belonged on a cover of a magazine or movie poster – perfect body and all. My face turned red just looking at him, which I was doing very noticeably. He appeared to be in his early twenties and I was trying to figure out if he could possibly be a teacher here. As I was standing there, I felt like my whole body had turned to Jell-O, and the only thing I could do was stare.

Pull yourself together Melanie.

My gawking was then interrupted by a harsh voice.

“ You got to be kidding me. I don’t need some spoiled, blond…” he looks me up and down, “slut throwing herself at me.” At that moment, all thoughts of his appeal vanished. I have only been here a few hours and I already hate this place. I was at my boiling point now and I knew I couldn’t hold it back any longer.

“What the fuck is your problem? Maybe an arrogant prick like yourself should pay attention where you are going, instead of being so obsessed with yourself! Trust me you are nothing special.” I snap.

I was fuming. I mean I know that my family is more on the wealthier end, but I never had so many people treat me this rudely. Geez. And slut? Like really?! Nothing else says slut like a nice pair of sweatpants. Asshole.

At that, he narrowed his eyes, grabbed his papers, and stormed off. But just before he got to the front door of the school, he didn’t forget to give me a welcoming present – the finger.

Welcome To Belmont Melanie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello there! So this is my very first story and thank you for any of you who gave it a try :D Honestly, I originally wrote this story just for fun and to de-stress. Sooo I am totally open to any suggestions!

Currently, I am re-editing all of my chapters and I hope to post new chapters in the near future. It has been a couple years since I have updated, but I rediscovered this story and decided that it was time to complete it. Hope you all enjoy it :) [updated 3/18/14]