Status: Hello all my amazing readers! I am currently re-editing all my chapters and plan to post new ones soon :)

Mistakes of the Heart

The Date

If only I knew that this was going to happen when I asked Tanner to be my date. If only I knew that I would be in the middle of drama that I never wanted to be a part of. If only I knew I would be stuck hiding in some strange guy’s room, avoiding the fate that awaits me outside.

If only I knew.

But before I get ahead of myself, let me rewind to earlier today.

Six Hours Earlier

Haylie was sitting on my bed, scanning through a magazine, as I was getting ready for Tanner’s arrival. I decided that it was only fair that I kept my date with Tanner. I mean I am the one who asked for it.

“ What is this place called again?” I question, while rummaging through my closet.

“ It’s called the Strip. You probably spotted it on your way here from the airport,” she replied, looking at nothing in particular.

“ Do you mean those huge houses that are right by the beach?” I ask, curiously.

“ Yep. They are the most expensive houses on the island, and where the best parties are at,” she smiles.

“ How did Aiden’s band even get a gig there?”

“ Well, apparently the drummer knew somebody, who knew somebody, who knew somebody’s brother who needed a band.”

“ Oh.” I say, while holding up two outfits I was considering.

After a few more minutes, I turn around and look at Haylie defeated.

“ What the hell am I supposed to wear?!” I exclaim.

I can see a smile forming on Haylie’s face.
“ You should have asked me hours ago. I have the perfect black dress and pumps that would look amazing on you.”

I groan. “Hales, remember what happened the last time I borrowed some of your clothes?”

She rolled her eyes and said, “ Yes, you looked fucking gorgeous. Now, do you want them or not?”

Knowing that I probably wouldn’t find anything in my closest, I answer, “ Fine. Go get it.”

She let out a small yelp, and bolted out my door. Unfortunately, she didn’t close it all the way so I had to get up and close it myself. But before I do, I hear the sound of heels clicking in the hallway, and then a small knock on a door. I peek through the crack and see it is Isabelle, in a very short, lacey dress, waiting for Mr. Johnson to let her in. I can’t help but feel jealous, but I remind myself that I have Tanner.

I see Mr. Johnson open the door, but he doesn’t let her in. He starts to tell her something, but I can’t make out the words. Her face turned from confused to disappointed and then angry. What did he say to her? Did something happen? I don’t understand, but before I can find out, Haylie is blocking my view. She is holding up the dress and pumps that she promised, with a suspicious look on her face.

“ Spying are we?” she asks, jokingly.

“ I… uh…” I stammer.

“ Girl, its fine! I would be too if I had that nice piece of ass across the hall.”

“ Haylie!” I laugh.

“ What?! You know it is true.” She smiles. I just shake my head, and begin changing into Hayley’s clothes.

Tonight I am going to forget all about Mr. Johnson, and make sure I focus on having a good time with Tanner.

***

It isn’t for another half an hour, that I hear a knock on the door.

The moment Haylie opens my door I am in shock. Tanner actually looks really hot. He is wearing perfect-fitted dark blue jeans, a white v-neck, and a flannel shirt rolled up on his muscled arms. This made me wonder how many girls, wished they were in my place tonight.

“ Ready to go?” he asks with a smile. Then, he scans me once over and ends up staring at me longer than necessary.

Haylie clears her throat and says, “ Tanner stop drooling over her, and get going.”

Tanner makes at face at Haylie and grabs my hand. He adds, “ You look amazing Melanie.”

“ Thanks.” I smile. “ You do too.”

As we are walking out the door, Haylie yells, “ I will meet up with you guys later!”

When we get outside, a limo is waiting for us. I still can’t get over the fact that Tanner’s dad owns part of the island. I am so excited to finally go to the Strip and can’t wait to hear Aiden’s band.

It took about an hour, until we finally arrive at the party. There is a long driveway up to the front of the house where cars are being valeted. I can see people gathered both outside and inside the house. My stomach is in knots, not only because of the date, but also because of what awaits inside. This is the biggest party I have ever attended, and I don’t exactly know what to expect.

Tanner notices my nervousness and squeezes my hand encouragingly. He helpes me out of the car and we make our way around the side, to the backyard. People, who look around my age and a little older, are crowded together dancing with each other. I can barely make out a mini bar to the far right, and a DJ right above the pool. To the far left, is Aiden’s band setting up to the side.

“ There they are,” yells Tanner, over the blaring music. Again, he interlaces his hand in mine, and starts pulling me towards the stage.

“ A- Man!” smiles Tanner.

“ Hey, you made it! I see you brought my favorite groupie with you.” He winks.

“ Dude, back off my date.” He smiles, but you can tell that there is some seriousness behind it.

“ Your date? Well, she won’t be for long,” he says, suggestively.

I just shake my head and turn towards Tanner.

“ Do you want to dance?” I ask with a smile.

Tanner leans down and whispers in my ear, “ Let’s go.”

Once again, he puts his hands on my hips and we start getting into the beating music. As I am dancing with Tanner, I can’t help but think of Mr. Johnson and how it would feel if his hands replaced Tanners. Why did all my thoughts have to turn to him?

But my thoughts didn’t last long, because all-of- a-sudden I felt someone spill beer all over my dress.

“ Damn.” I sigh, angrily. I look around to see if I could find the culprit, but it could have been anybody with the amount of people here.

“ Are you okay?!” asks Tanner.

“Yeah. I am just going to go clean myself up inside.” I answer. I push my way past the dancing bodies, until I reach the house. The inside of the house was filled with people, as well. It took me a while, but I eventually found the bathroom upstairs. While I am freshening up, I hear a group of girls outside the door. One of them is clearly upset, and ranting on about some guy.

“ I just can’t believe he stood me up. Does he even know who I am?” she whines.

“ You don’t need him!” says one of the girls.

“ Yeah! ” echoes the rest of them.

“ If it wasn’t for that little slut, I would have him right now. I thought he hooked up with anyone!” she announces.

He sounds like an ass to me. I guess some girls are just that desperate. I was able to get the beer smell off the dress, and decide to find Tanner before Aiden’s band started playing. I open the door and see none other than Isabelle surrounded by a bunch of girls. I try to sneak past her, but unfortunately she spots me.

“ That’s the slut!” she yells and points to me.

All the girls stare me down, and scan me from head to toe.

One of them says, “ I don’t know what he sees in her.”

“ Yeah she is not even pretty. She is probably still a virgin too,” another girl smirks.

“ At least I don’t sleep with anything that moves!” I snap back, but I realize I should have kept my mouth shut. I try to get passed them, but they are blocking my way. They are all gathering around me, with daunting looks on their faces. I don’t know what to do, but luckily Matt spots me.

I can see all the girls eyeing him as he approaches.

“ What’s going on here?” he questions.

All the girls just stay silent, and then proceed to flirt with him. I was able to mouth a ‘thank you’ and sneak away back to Tanner.

When I get back, I can see the band tuning their instruments. I am able to find Tanner talking with Aiden, who was about to go on stage. When he spots me, he immediately stops his conversation, and helps me get past the crowd.

“ Is everything alright?” he asks with a genuine smile.

“ Other than almost being attacked by vicious girls, I am fine.” I smile back. He looks at me confused and I add, “ Long story.”

“ Save it for next time?” he whispers in my ear. Before I could answer, Aiden announces, “ Hey everybody. We are Lights Out! Are you guys ready to party?!”

Everyone was cheering and crowding around the stage. I was relieved that I didn’t have to answer Tanner. I mean he has been incredibly sweet, but this whole time my mind kept going back to Mr. Johnson. It isn’t fair to Tanner if I keep leading him on.

Aiden’s band turned out to be really good. They had a punk-rock/alternative feel and people were really getting into them. I was able to find Hayley, while Tanner went to get himself a drink. We were dancing around, and singing along to the music. Suddenly, I could no longer see Hayley and feel someone violently pull me to the side.

“Victoria? What the f-“

“ Stay the hell away from Tanner. He is mine.” She sneers.

“ What is your problem?!” I shout.

“ I would have thought that you got the hint by now. Enjoy the beer?” she says with a smirk.

“ That was you?! I think someone needs to get a reality check. Tanner is on a date with me, right now. Not you!” I snap back.

“ You little bitch!” she yells and then smacks me in the face. She tackles me to the ground and I can feel her nails digging into my skin. Are girls out to get me tonight or something?

I was able to push her off of me and run towards the house, but along the way I crash right into Matt.

“ Woah Melanie.” He laughs. “Where do you think your going?”

“ I… er… I have to go.” I mumble. I try to walk past him, but he grabs my arm and pulls me against his body. He encircles his arms around my waist and is looking down at me.

“ I think I need to be repaid, from saving you from those girls, “ he says, provocatively.

“ Matt. Please, right now is not a good time.” I was trying to push a way out of his grasp.

“ Oh I think right now is the perfect time.” He smirks. Then suddenly, I fell his lips crash roughly on mine. I almost didn’t register what was happening, and it took me a few seconds until I am able to shove him off.

That’s when I hear Tanner’s voice. “ Melanie? What is going on?” he asks, with an unreadable expression.

“ I… I…” I mumble, and then begin running as fast as I can towards the house. I hear voices echoing my name from behind me, but I just need to catch my breath, and sort everything out in my head.

I was able to find an empty room upstairs. It was clearly a guy’s room, but luckily it had a lock.

So now I am back where I was before. I am hiding out in some strange guy’s room, trying to get a grip on things. I have a bunch of crazy bitches out to get me, and unnecessary guy drama that needs to be explained. All I want is to get out of this unfamiliar house, take off this constricting dress, and pretend like none of this ever happened. Everywhere I go, drama follows. Why can’t I just be plain normal? I guess I wouldn’t be Melanie Rose Tyler if I was.

I hear a small knock on the door that I try to ignore. Eventually, the knocks become louder, and I am forced to open it. As usual, it is not whom I expect.

Mr. Johnson is awkwardly standing in the doorway, looking perfect as always.

“ Mr. Johnson? What are you doing here?” I ask, confused.

“ Do you mind calling me Liam for right now?” He smiles his annoyingly perfect smile.

I just stand there, unsure of what to do or say. Why was it that whenever I was having a crisis, he was always here to rescue me?

After a few moments of awkward silence he asks, “ Do you want to get out of here?”

I already knew what my answer was, but I made it appear as if I was thinking about it.

“ Yes.” I state, firmly.

He motions me to follow him, but before we leave, he turns around and faces me. His eyes are glittering and there is a smirk forming on his face. He makes it obvious that he is perusing over my body.

He leans forward and whispers in my ear.

“ By the way, you look sexy in that dress.” Goose bumps starting forming all over my body, and I know that tonight is nowhere near over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go :D A lot of drama going on in this chapter :P

Just letting you know it's going to to take a little longer for me to update because I am starting school! But I promise to update as fast as I can :]

Thanks to my commenters...
ashleyr761
ZombiesGoRAWR


Sorry again for the typos! I don't have an editor anymore, so just warning you!

Please let me know what you guys think <3