Status: Hello all my amazing readers! I am currently re-editing all my chapters and plan to post new ones soon :)

Mistakes of the Heart

Waffle Day

I wake up the next morning and find myself still in my regular clothes, sprawled across my unmade bed. This causes me to groan inwardly. I guess I was more tired then I realized.

I look at my phone and see that Callie has called me three times and sent me a text.

“ I am expecting an update ASAP! Don’t forget to look for cute boys ;)” I smile to myself. This is such a typical Callie text and it just makes me miss her so much more. At least, I won’t have to worry about not having stories for her.

I hear my stomach make a loud growl. Looks like it’s time for breakfast, especially after skipping dinner last night. I pull out my map and locate the cafeteria that Ms. Phillips pointed out yesterday. It’s actually not too far - only in the next building. So, I grab a pair of jeans, put on a sweatshirt, and head out the door. I make sure to channel my inner ninja, while I sneak past Mr. Johnson’s room. I don’t feel like dealing with him right now, especially after the way he treated me.

I stare intently out at the beach as I walk across campus. It’s still dark outside, but the sky looks amazing with the combination of vivid oranges and yellows thrown across the horizon. I get lost staring at the beautiful sunrise, but then notice a figure running in the distance. As it gets closer, I discover a smile that you can spot from a mile away.

“Whoa Tanner! Where the hell are you going?” I practically laugh.

“It’s Waffle Day! I never miss Waffle Day.”

“Waffle Day? ”

“Mhm. Best day of the week. Are you coming or what?” This time I was more prepared when he grasped my hand, and started running full speed towards the cafeteria.

“Tanner slow down! I'm sure they will have enough waffles for the both of us.” Of course, he just ignored me and kept on running. We finally arrived and I was able to catch my breath.

“These better be some damn good waffles!” I pant. When I walk inside, the cafeteria is practically empty, expect for a couple of people. “There's no one even here yet,” I say annoyed.

“I know that silly. I just like to pick out the best ones.” I just shake my head and continue to follow this crazy boy. I hear Tanner say, “Hey Mrs. Fields.”

“Your plate is over there, and I picked out the best ones, as usual,” she says with a smile.

What is with Tanner and faculty members at this school?

“My friend here would like some as well.” He turns and winks at me.

“Anything for you, Mr. Warren” I see her hand him another plate. We find a table to sit at, and I realize that I'm hungrier than I thought. I practically devour almost all my waffles within minutes.

“Damn girl! And I thought I was hungry.” He flashes that goofy smile again.

“Well… ummm… I…”

“No need to explain yourself. I like a woman who can eat,” He winks and I roll my eyes.

“So, California, why did you decide to come to Belmont?” I think of the real reason I am here and I know that I have to do everything I can to make sure no one ever finds out.

“It’s complicated” is all I end up saying.

“ So now you are trying to be all mysterious, eh? Don’t worry you will tell me sooner or later.” I think Tanner notices my unchanged expression because when I look up Tanner’s playful expression suddenly turns serious. “It can’t be that bad. Everyone has a complicated life in some way.”

“ Don’t worry about it. It’s nothing.” I say while giving a forced smile. Then I look back down at my plate and start picking at my last waffle.

“Melanie, I know I just barely met you, but if ever need to you can talk to me; I am not one to judge.” He actually seemed like he genuinely meant every word he said. It almost made me want to give in, but then I remembered my promise: I wasn’t going to let my past affect me here.

“Thanks, but there really isn’t anything to talk about.” I look back up and Tanner is looking at me. It’s almost as if he can see right through my walls. We don’t speak as we finish our breakfast. I keep looking up to catch glimpses of Tanner. His blond hair is all messy, as if he just woke up, but in a cute way. In all honesty, Tanner would have been the type of guy I would totally date before the whole incident. But I decided after everything that I am going stay away from guys for a while. I don’t exactly have the best track record either. Especially, since my last relationship was pretty much all a lie, and is one of the reasons I'm here in the first place.

I must have been really lost in my thoughts because I hear Aiden say, “Dude, Tanner, what did you do to Blondie?” I snap back to reality and realize that the cafeteria is almost full. Also, there's a long line of students waiting to get their waffles. They're actually really good, but I'm not going to tell Tanner that. I would rather not give him the satisfaction.

“I think it’s my irresistible good looks and charm that have left her speechless.” I see his familiar smile reappear across his face. I just shake my head.

“In your dreams!” Now we all burst out laughing. It feels good, especially after the awkward tension.

“So, dude, guess what? The band has a gig in a couple of weeks. So, you better show up this time.”

“You know, I couldn’t help what happen!” I turn to see Tanner looking a bit flustered.

“Oh, right. What's her name again?”

“Vic-Victoria,” He stutters as he rubs the back of his neck

I can’t help but smile and ask, “Who is Victoria?”

Aiden answers by saying, “Only this girl who is obsessed with Tanner.”

“I've known her since middle school, and she hasn’t really gotten over me,” he says as he shakes his head. “ But I guess I couldn’t blame her.” He adds with a grin. Then, both Tyler and Matt approach us.

“Are you guys talking about Tanner’s girlfriend?” asks Matt.

“She’s not my girlfriend! I am - without a doubt - single,” He says this while glancing over at me.

“Dude, just make sure you make it this time,” replies Aiden.

“Do you guys have another gig?” asks Tyler obviously overhearing the conversation.

“Yeah, in a couple weeks,” Aiden turns to me, “you’re invited too, Blondie. I especially want you there,” he says with a wink. I automatically ignore his attempt at flirting and ask, “Well, are you guys any good?”

“If you like a bunch of guys screaming at the top of their lungs, then yeah.” retorts Tanner, still slightly irritated from before.

“I’m up for it. I just need a ride.” Of course, I should have watched what I said because all four guys started arguing on who was going to take me. I used this as an opportunity to escape and decided to head back to my room.

They were so caught up in the argument that they didn’t realize I was leaving until I said, “Bye, guys!” Then, all of them turned around, but as I looked at Tanner, I noticed that same look from before. I head out the door, ignoring the little voice in the back of my head.

I can hear some of the guys saying, “Look what you did,” and, “Mel come back!” but then, I am too far away to hear anything else.

I finally get back to my room, but before I get the chance to go inside, Mr. Johnson’s door bursts open. He has on no shirt and looks as if he just rolled out of bed. Damn. I can’t do anything else, but stare. Trust me, if you were me, you would be doing the same thing. He looks over at me and just stares back. I notice a look that I can’t quite put my finger on, but before I know it, his face turns back into his annoying smirk. Then immediately, he turns around and slams his door shut.

I shouldn’t have been surprised, but that just pisses me off even more than before. It’s not my fault he overreacted over a simple misstep. I shouldn’t even care what he thinks about me, but in a way I do.

I open my door and go inside my room. I try to figure out all these overwhelming feelings, but I just end up confusing myself even more. So, I decide to stick my headphones in my ears and listen to my iPod. I immerse myself in the beating music and let my thoughts drift away until all I hear is the melody and lyrics of the song.

***

The rest of the weekend went by in a flash. I met up with Tanner and his friends a couple times. They showed me around, and pointed out where my classes are. It turns out that I, at least, have one of them in each of my classes except AP English and AP Government. I think I could manage a couple classes on my own anyways. I didn’t see Mr. Johnson for the rest of the weekend either, which made me really happy. I was starting to thing avoiding him was not impossible after all.
I can’t help, but wonder how school is going to be like tomorrow. I want to make a good impression, but I don’t want to be somebody I'm not either. At least, I won’t be clueless, and hopefully I can make a friend who is a girl. That reminds me that I better call Callie. I have been avoiding calling her all weekend. I just don’t like talking to her when I'm in one of my moods. She sees right through me and always calls me out. She's probably already pissed at me; so, I just suck it up and call her.

The first thing I hear her say is, “What the hell has taken you so long? Melanie Rose Tyler, you better have a damn good explanation for this!”

“Hey, Cal. I am so sorry. I just have been super busy and-”

“Oh, puh-lease! Don’t shit with me. You have been avoiding me! Now what happened?”

“ Nothing happened. ” I state as calmly as possibly.

“Seriously, Mel? After all the years I have known you? You really are going to pull this shit? ”

" I just don't want to worry you...” I urge.

“ Who is bugging my girl?! I swear I will hop on a plane...” As she babbles on, my first instinct is to think of Mr. Johnson, because he was the one person who truly has annoyed me. Yet, I decide that I don’t want to get into that right now and rather tell her about Tanner and the guys instead.

"... no one messes with you. You got that?" I hear her exclaim. " Are you even listening to me?"

" Cal, it is fine. Really! But I guess there is this one guy, Tanner, and his three other friends who apparently are in this competition involving me. And ever since I met them they have been annoying me nonstop.”

“ That's because you are the hot new girl, " she says in a matter-of-fact way.

“ Oh my god, Cal!”

“ You know its true! I can bet a million dollars that a bunch of guys have already hit on you.”

All I can manage to say is, “Whatever.” I can practically hear her roll her eyes through the phone.

“ So, any takers?” she asks with a small giggle.

“ Not really. You of all people should know that I am not interested in dating anyone right now.” I say.

" I am just saying maybe you need a little distraction," she hints.

" We will see." I say because she won't drop otherwise.

“ Hmm. I still think there is something else you are not telling me.”

“ Cal, I haven’t even started my classes yet!”

“ I guess that's true. But something is up girl. I can tell!” she presses on.

“ Really, you have nothing to worry about,” I reassure her.

“Mhm, whatever you say. Well, I better get some z’s. You better call me sooner next time!”

" I promise!"

“ Right. Anyways, I love your lying ass! Kisses. Call me soon!” and all I can hear is silence.

I knew Callie would be able to detect that something was up.It didn’t help that Mr. Johnson was so damn attractive. I mean I probably would have reacted like every other girl if he didn't act like such an asshole.

Why am I even thinking about this?! He is not worth anymore of my time or energy. Ugh, he has just gotten under my skin. I know that’s all it is. Right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooooo my sister convinced me to post today... SO YOU GUYS GOT LUCKY! haha :D
Anyways, I just wanted to thank those who commented! <3 You guys made my day! :]
Just warning you that my next updates won't be as fast, but I will get them out as soon I can!
Let me know what you guys think !

Thanks to my editor running in circles; :D