Status: Hello all my amazing readers! I am currently re-editing all my chapters and plan to post new ones soon :)

Mistakes of the Heart

The First Day - Part 1

My alarm rings at 6:30 A.M, reminding me loudly that it's my first day of school.

I try to stay positive and focus on this brand new day filled with so many possibilities. As I have mentioned before, I really want to make a good impression, but I don’t want to appear like someone I'm not. I'm way passed trying to change who I am in order to “fit in.” So I stop putting off the inevitable and drag myself out of bed.

I walk over to the bathroom, look into the mirror, and realize that I have some work to do. I decide on wearing a cute white shirt, with black leggings, my brown boots, and my favorite jean jacket. Also, I turn my blond wavy hair into luscious curls and work to apply just the right amount of makeup. When I look into the mirror, I conclude that this is as good as it is going to get.

Just as I am finishing up, there's a small knock on the door. I almost forgot that Tanner was going to stop by and walk with me to homeroom.

”Just a minute!” I yell. I realize my room is a mess, so I quickly straighten up and open the door. Tanner is holding a tray with two coffee cups and a bag filled with bagels.

“I thought you would be hungry,” he says with a smile, and then looks up at me. Immediately his eyes grow wide and – believe or not – so does his smile. I feel myself turning into a tomato within seconds. Before he gets the chance to say anything, I grab my coffee and bagels from his hands, and push my way past him.

“Are you coming or what?” I turn around and ask, placing my hand on my hip.

He catches up with me and says, “You look really good, California, but- ”

I cut him off and say, “Thanks. You don’t look too bad yourself.”

I notice he's wearing slacks with a button up shirt and tie. In my opinion, he looks a bit formal, but it suits him. Not everyone could pull that off. Tanner says again, “California, there's something you should know-”

”I'm sure it can wait until later, I just want to get this first day over with.” I sigh.

“But I'm pretty sure you're going to want to know this...”

“Its fine. We'll talk later.”

“Alright, but I warned you.” I see a small smile start forming across his face.

As we walk, I realize that I'm actually glad that we're in homeroom together. I would rather know someone, than be the new girl with no friends. I spot the door and take a deep breath.

I turn the knob and open the door to find all eyes on me. I instantly regret my outfit choice and wish that I listened to Tanner. I just wanted to shrink out of sight and run all the way back to my room. Since when did I have to wear a uniform? Seriously? Just kill me now. I turn around to find Tanner suppressing laughter, and I swear I give him the worst look I could manage. It’s not like I won’t attract enough attention today.

I make my way to a desk in the back of the class and take a seat in the far left corner of the room, with Tanner to my right. I wish I could slap the stupid grin off his face. I consider slamming my head against the desk, but that would just label me as the crazy new girl, which isn’t the reputation I was exactly aiming for.

The bell rings and I can see the teacher sit down at his desk. A few people keep turning around, trying to catch glimpses of me, and others just plain out stare. Not this again. I feel like I'm back in elementary school, because I have this enormous desire to just forcefully stick out my tongue.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at this point. I recall Tanner telling me that it is not everyday they get a new student.

The teacher introduces himself as Mr. Peters and says, “So, it looks like we have a new student.” This time everyone turns around and looks directly at me. Oh, boy.

“Would you like to stand up and introduce yourself?”

“Hell no!” I almost say, but stop myself. How I would love to be invisible right now. I mentally slap myself for not listening to Tanner.

I stand up, clear my throat, and say, “Uh, hey,” I awkwardly wave, “I'm Melanie Tyler,” I take another breath. “I just moved here from California.” I see a few girls roll their eyes and some guys snicker. “Uh...” Oh crap! What else do I say? “I uh....”

Thankfully, Mr. Peters realizes my predicament and asks, “How do you like it here so far?” Phew.

“It’s nice. I really like the beach.” I force a smile. Please, let this be over already.

“Good to hear you like it. Thank you, Ms. Tyler. You can sit down.” Finally!

“Oh, and you can purchase our uniform at our bookstore. I'm sure any of our students wouldn't mind showing you.” He looks at me disapprovingly. Of course, this is followed by fits of laughter, which, unsurprisingly, includes Tanner. I put my head down, hoping and praying that I'll make it through this day.

***

My first couple classes were basically the same as homeroom. There were the “starers”, the eye rollers, and those who just didn't care. Unfortunately, my teachers all made me introduce myself, and by the time break came, I was about ready to go and hide out in my room for the rest of the day. Of course, there was always a comment on my uniform, with added looks of disapproval. I was so relieved to get out of my second period, Calculus, and practically sprinted out the door. Right before I got to my locker, I was grabbed from behind and familiar hands covered my eyes.

I figured it was Tanner and said, “Come on, Tanner! I'm already having a shitty day. And please don’t start with me about the uniform thing. I already know.” He takes his hands off of my eyes, but when I turn around, it isn't whom I thought it was.

“You know, you didn’t have to dress up to impress me.” Matt looks at me from head to toe.

“ Seriously, Matt?” I snap.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. You look hot,” I just groan and shake my head. I decide to skillfully retreat to the one place where guys can’t bother me: the girls' bathroom!

“Hey, that’s not fair!” I give him a small victory smile and push open the door.

I lean on the sink and put my face in my hands. “Why me?” I question softly.

That’s when I hear a female voice ask me, “Rough day?”

When I looked up, I was surprised to see a girl who looked a lot like Callie. The only difference was that she had long red hair, but her blue eyes and towering height, were similar to Callie’s. I just respond saying, “You have no idea!” She sticks out her hand and says, “I know its weird meeting in a bathroom and all, but I'm Haylie.” I shake her extended hand.

“Hi, I'm Melanie, if you haven’t heard already.” She giggles.

“Sorry about that, it's rare that we get new students here. Don’t worry I am not one of those people who want to get your whole life story.” I seriously want to jump up and down. Someone normal for once and she's a girl!

“I appreciate it. A lot,” I say with a smile. I end up showing her my class schedule and we exchange numbers. It turns out that we're in a couple classes together. I finally have an ounce of hope that I can make it through the rest of the day. We agreed to meet up later, and she promised to bring me an extra uniform. I don’t think I can thank this girl enough. The day is finally looking up.

Unfortunately, I realize that my break is about over and it’s time to go to my next class. I look down and read over my schedule and see that next period is AP Government and Economics.

I spent the majority of my break talking with Haylie, so I decide to meet up with the guys later, and head straight to class. I would rather not attract any more attention to myself by being late.

I remember where Tanner said the room was and I start heading in that direction. When I get to the door, there is no one in the classroom. I decide to sit down in an empty desk in the back and listen to my iPod.

I almost doze off, but then hear a conversation between two girls that has caught my attention.

”Did you see Mr. Johnson today?” a girl giggles.

“He looked so good! I swear, if he wasn’t our teacher…” she led off in a sultry tone.

“I wouldn’t let that stop me.”

“Oh, you slut!” she giggles again.

“Whatever. I heard that he hooks up with a student every semester, and trust me, I will make sure I am next. ”

“No shit? How do you know this?”

“ One of the girls who was in his last last semester told me. And earlier I heard him talking to himself about one of his students, and how she is messing up things for him or something. It was weird,” she dragged out "weird", as if it had more than one syllable.

“Is that why he was so pissed the other day?”

“Who knows, but at least we know...” before I even knew it, I was leaning my desk all the way forward. It wasn’t until my desk collapsed on the floor with me still in it, that I decided snooping was a bad idea.

“Oh, shit,” I said as I mentally slapped myself. That was going to leave a mark. When I looked up, I don't see vicious girls glaring at me, but rather a pair of gorgeous green eyes. It is accompanied by an annoyed expression that soon evolves into a smirk.

Mr. Johnson.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go :D
Finally her first day!!! haha

I just wanted to thank...
somebodytolove
ashleyr761
I reallyyyyy appreciate your comments :D
Let me know what you think <3

Thank you running in circles; :D