‹ Prequel: Give 'Em Hell, Kid

This Is How I Disappear

Eleven

“Hey, it’s Aria! I’m out living my life right now, so leave a message after the beep!”

“Hi Aria, it’s Frank. I just wondered if you wanted to come over, but apparently you’re busy, so... Call me back when you get the chance, we need to talk” This is it. This is where I’m going to give her the speech where I tell her it isn’t her, but me. And it’s actually true; it isn’t something wrong with her, or any of the other girls I’ve dated for that matter. It’s me. It really is. I’ve tried everything; I’ve almost forced myself to fall in love sometimes. But as you can see; it never works. Aria’s my favorite though, she’s been really good to be, and too understanding than I deserve. On my dark days she’s left me alone, and when I can’t ‘preform’ in bed, she’s told me it’s okay. She’s a good girl, she really is. That’s why I’m not looking forward to our conversation.

I’m walking down the street trying to figure out what I’m going to say to her as I bump into Tess. Yup, Tess of all people.

“Hi Frankie!” Cheerful, cheerful, cheerful.

“Oh, hi Tess” I can’t even get myself to look at her, she’s so… annoyingly happy.

“So, weird bumping into you after all this years!”

“I would say it’s the other way around. I live here. You don’t”

“Oh, right, I forgot to tell you; I’ve moved to Chicago!” What is she, a stalker?

“Wow, that’s great” Sarcasm.

“I know right! We should totally hang out some day, catch up”

“Totally” I say as I turn around and walk away. There’s something different about her. And not just that she’s so damn happy and cheerful. She looks different. She talks different. I bet she even walks different. I guess she’s on some sort of medication preventing her from acting like a self-righteous bitch. If something like that exists. But I have to admit; she looks better. Her hair is red and down to her waist. Her eyes have a nice, green color which I haven’t really noticed before. She dresses better, and her boobs have grown. Call me a pervert for checking out her boobs when she was 14, but hey, I’m a guy! But no, I’m not proud of it.

I unlock my apartment and goes inside, finding Aria in the living room.
“Hey, honey, I’ve been waiting for you!” She runs over to me and gives me a passionate kiss.

“Hi, I thought you were busy, you didn’t answer your phone when I called”

“Nah, I wanted to surprise you”

“Oh, well, we need to talk, Aria” And suddenly a serious expression enters her face.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing, it’s just… You’re a great girl! I mean, woman. And it’s not that you’re boring or anything, it’s just-“

“Oh my God, you’re breaking up with me, aren’t you?”

“I guess I am” She slaps me as the word flow over my lips, but I guess I deserve it.

“You’re an asshole” Her body is shaking as she picks up her bag and runs out the door. Welcome, freedom. You’ve been missed.