‹ Prequel: Falling To Pieces

All You Need Is Love

Deals Are Made

I walked out of the house and got into my truck. It was a nice, cool day outside. I laid my bag down in the drivers seat as I started the truck. I already had Serena in the back seat, Regan was inside. Nathan wanted to look after him, so I let him. Regan needed a father figure, and even though he was so used to Caleb being here, Nathan was the only other male in the house. I am not saying that I want Nathan to be his second -well third- father. I just want Regan around a man or two.

As I drove into town, Serena started whining. I looked at her through the rear view mirror and smiled. "I know what you want," I said, sweetly and turned on the radio. It was on an old rock station. Serena loved to hear it. She was already turning into her mother.

I pulled into town and parked at the mall. They offered free parking for so many hours so you can walk around the actual town. Since everything was basically pushed together.

I got out Serena and threw my bag over my shoulder. I strapped her in her stroller and pushed her into the mall. I was supposed to meet Elena. It wasn't exactly a date, but in a way I guess it was.

I checked my phone to make sure I was here on time, and to remind myself of where we were meeting. Starbucks, alright. I nodded and walked into the not-so-crowded coffee shop. Serena cooing at random people, and making faces up at me. I giggled and sat down at a table. I pulled her closer and fixed her little skull beanie. It was actually Regan's, but I stole it from his clothes.

"Shilo?"

I looked up to see Elena. Just as pretty as the night I saw her. I smiled and stood up. "Yes." We hugged and giggled. She saw Serena and her mouth dropped.

"She's so cute! Is this your little sister?" She asked, playing with her. They each giggled at each other and made faces. I smiled.

I sat back down and looked at her, serious now. "No, Elena. There's something you should know before we get into anything." I said, biting my lip.

She looked up at me and then sat across from me. She watched me, worried. "What is it?" She asked

I nodded my head towards Serena. "She's mine. I gave birth to her."

We sat in silence for a few moments. Finally, she said, "So, you've had a boyfriend?"

"The father wasn't my boyfriend. He was.. my mothers." I bit my lip. I explained everything from that point. From how my mothers boyfriend was, how Caleb was, and even that I lived with Olivia and her boyfriend. And that she even had a baby. I explained that I had two, Regan and Serena. And that she wasn't just some way to test if I liked girls. Because I never really thought it mattered who I liked, because I was really attracted to her.

When I was done explaining, I was playing with my hands and chewing my lower lip. My eyes set on the coffee she had ordered some time between now, and when I started talking. "I just thought you needed to know because my last relationship didn't work so well because he didn't know all this to begin with." I pointed out.

She placed her pale hand on mine. I looked up at her. She had been smiling. "I understand, Shilo. I've been through a lot well. I was only hoping you wouldn't make fun of me." She giggled. "See, I've been beat. My parents.. never really understood me. So when they broke up, my father got this girlfriend. Only, she was using him because she liked women, young women. She usually found a boyfriend with a daughter and tried to.. do things with them. Like a man would with little children. I, of course, fought back. Dad found out she tried, and ended up dumping her but sent me to juvvy."

Shock entered my body. Worry, as well. "Why would he do that?"

She shrugged. "He figured it would have changed me into depression. He thought it best for me, but it honestly wasn't. I was raped by a man in there." She shrugged again.

We shared at each other and then busted into laughter. Not because of the fact we'd both been raped, but because we were both dwelling on the past when we were sitting here, possibly our soul mate right in front of us, and we were talking about depressing stuff.

I looked over at the counter and gasped. There watching me was Caleb. Serena had seen him too because she said, "Da-ee!" She clapped.

Elena looked over and tilted her head, confused. "Who's that?" She asked, letting go of my hand.

I sighed. "My ex."

He walked over, half smiling. But I saw the depression in his eyes. He almost looked life-less. Like he'd had no sleep in days. "Hey, Shi."

I crossed my arms and looked up at him. "Caleb."

"Look, I know I was a douche bag. I know I've been nothing but a big baby the whole time we were together. But I am the closest thing to a dad these babies have." He held his hand out to Serena and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Caleb, I'm over you. I've moved on." I waved a hand at Elena, who was sitting back awkwardly. I knew she felt out of place right now.

He looked over at her and his mouth dropped. "You-you're.."

"I like girls, yes." I said. "Look, I agree. The kids love you, and you are a father to them. When you wanted to be, you were a great dad. But most of the time you acted like one of them. I don't like taking care of my partner. Not every day, at least."

This was awkward for all of us. You could feel it in the air. I wanted Caleb to go away and never to see him again, but the kids needed him. They loved him. I was willing to make a small deal.

"Can I at least see them? Maybe on weekends or something?" He finally asked.

I thought about this. "Okay. As long as you call, you can see them whenever." I shrugged.

A smile came onto his face. He kissed Serena's cheek one more time. "Can I come over tomorrow?" He asked.

"Call before you come." I said and gave him a small hug.

I could tell everything would become weird for a few weeks, but I knew everything would turn out great in the end.
♠ ♠ ♠
I.. could have written this chapter SO MUCH BETTER. But I decided not to. By the way, if you want to know what Elena looks like click here

--Christa