Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

I Miss You

"How...How is that even possible? I thought--"

"Jordan, shut up." Sidney rubbed his forehead, "Danni...what's going on?"

All of the guys surrounded me in my office, Mario and Sidney in the front. Nathalie and Vero kept the children occupied while I was questioned.

"You said that Maddi's father was dead." Mario said calmly. Sidney must have told Mario everything I told him. Blabbermouth.

"That's what I told Madison. Her father," I let out a shaky breath, "he bailed when he found out Addie was pregnant. He never called or helped her support Maddi. What else would you tell a child when their father abandons them? I had to protect her."

"Is that why you moved to Pittsburgh?" I shook my head.

"Addie and I came up with the idea before she died. The company still wanted to go through with the plan so we moved. It was an opportunity for us to start over."

"He obviously knew you had Maddi. Why sue you now?" Sidney asked. I shrugged.

"I have no idea. I don't know how he found out. Once Maddi was born he wanted nothing to do with us."

"When's the meeting?"

"Tomorrow. I have to go in that afternoon with Madison."

"I'll come with you." Sidney offered.

"No. I need to do this on my own."

"Danni, you'll need someone there. This won't be easy." Mario said putting his hand on my shoulder. I wanted to shrug it off and tell them to let me be but this team had become family since I walked into Pittsburgh. So I gave them a simple nod.

"Let's get back." Kris said standing up from the shelf he was leaning on. Him and everyone left except Sidney.

"Danni, I want to help you." He knelled in front of my chair, his hands on my knees. I just smiled at him and patted his hands. He kissed my lips then helped me up.

Everyone left soon after, the mood ruined thanks to the only bastard I though was out of our lives.

I was picking up the living room, taking my anger out on the garbage as I threw it in the garbage bag I had. Sidney must of saw my frustration when he volunteered to put Maddi to bed.

There was no way this was actually happening. Moving to Pittsburgh was the chance to get away from the past. Sure, I felt bad for moving Maddi away from her mother but we had to get away. I wasn't a 100% sure if her father would show up in her life but I was determined to make sure he never came in a 10 foot radius. Her father was an awful man and I wanted to ring his neck for the things he did.

"Danni?" I jumped three feet in the air when Sidney said my name. "Babe, let's get some sleep." I shook my head.

"Go ahead. I'm not tired."

"Danni, you need to sleep. You've got that meeting tomorrow."

"And you've got a game. The city of Pittsburgh will hunt me down if they find out you didn't get your beauty rest before a game."

"I'm not going without you."

"Sid, please. I need to do something first anyways." Sidney starred at me until he seemed to think I was telling the truth. Placing a kiss on the top of my head, Sidney went upstairs.

I walked to my office, welcomed by the picture of Addie, Madison, and I. This wasn't going to be an easy process. I'd like to think this would be easy but who knows what that man has done since I last saw him. Whatever his motives are for getting Maddi back, won't be good.

---

"Are you sure you don't Mario or I to come with you?" Sidney asked the next morning. He had finished getting ready for practice while I was getting ready for the meeting.

"I can handle this Sid. If I need something, I'll let you know."

"You promise?" Sidney curled a hand under my chin, turning my face towards him.

"I promise. Now go or you'll be late." With a kiss goodbye, he was off.

I starred at my reflection trying to get a hold of myself. I hadn't slept at all last night, going over the information I received from my lawyer last night. Whatever this creep wanted, her wasn't getting it...over my dead body.

I called Madison's school to say she wasn't coming in today. I also called my mom to tell her everything and promised that I'd call when the meeting was over. She offered to fly out and kill the son of a bitch but that obviously won't help our case.

After letting Maddi sleep in, I cooked her breakfast and pulled out a presentable outfit for her.

"Where are we going Danni?" She asked as I brushed her hair.

"We need to go talk to some people."

"About what?"

"...About your mom."

"Is everything okay Aunt Danni?" I blinked back my tears.

"Everything will be fine sweetie. We need to get going." She took my hand and we walked out to the car.

We stayed in the waiting area until the receptionist came and got us. Madison walked behind me as we entered a conference room.

And there he was. Sleek, black suit. Black as night hair gelled back, the ends curling. When he heard the door open, he looked over his shoulder.

"Hello Danielle."

"Stephen."

"It's been too long. You look beautiful." Then his eyes landed on the figure behind me. "Madison?" Maddi popped her head around my leg to see the handsome man before us. "She looks just like her mother."

"Is there a reason I'm here Stephen?"

"Of course...I want my daughter back." He grinned.

"Good afternoon everyone." An older gentleman walked into the room followed by two younger ones. "Let's all take a seat. Melissa, will you take Madison here out to the front office?" The receptionist from before nodded and took Maddi's hand, shutting the door behind them.

"Ms. Samson, how long have you been Madison's guardian?"

"Over a year. Since her mother died."

"And you took care of her before that as well?"

"Yes, her mother was my best friend. I helped pay for the bills."

"Mr. Manning stated that he was not notified when Madison was born, is that correct?" I glared at Stephen as he just sat back and smirked.

"No we did not notify him."

"Why not?"

"He wanted nothing to do with Madison since the pregnancy, we figured he didn't care about the birth either."

"Come now Danielle. Madison is my daughter. I love her." He tried to play out.

"You wanted nothing to do with her." I hissed.

"Ms. Samson, please." I turned my attention to the lawyer. "What do you do now, Ms. Samson?"

"I mange a local Tim Horton's."

"Is that why you moved to Pittsburgh?"

"Yes, I planned to open one up down here."

"And how is business?"

"It's going fine."

"Are you currently seeing someone?" My eyes shot at Stephen.

"You have got to be kidding me?'

"Answer the question Ms. Samson."

"Yes." I sneered.

"Who is it?" Stephen's smirk spread into an evil grin.

"Sidney Crosby." The two younger lawyers eyes widened at my answer.

"How did you and Mr. Crosby meet?"

"He sponsors Tim Horton's. How do you think we met?" I hissed. I was done with this. "Is there a reason why I am being questioned about my personal life? I thought this was about Madison."

"It is, Ms. Samson but we have come under the suspicion that you are not a fit guardian for Madison." The lawyer answered.

"You son of a bitch." I yelled standing from my chair, slamming my hands into the table. Stephen sat there comfortably.

"Ms. Samson, control yourself please."

"I've been a fit guardian for Madison since the day she was born! This bastard ran away from her. Isn't it suspicious that, out of the blue, he wants her back?" I questioned the lawyer obviously on Stephen's side.

"Mr. Manning stated that he has been trying to be financial ready to take care of Madison."

"That's bullshit!"

"Ms. Samson, you're not helping your case."

"I will be calling my lawyer and we'll schedule another appointment." I stormed out of the conference room. Maddi saw me and ran over.

"Is everything okay, Aunt Danni?"

"Yes, everything's alright baby." I helped her into her car seat.

"Danni."

"Come near me Stephen and I'll kick your balls into next Tuesday." I threatened as he walked closer to me.

"That's no way to act around a four year old."

"She's five."

"My apologies. Look, you've done a great job taking care of her, but it's time I have my daughter back."

"Over my dead body." I hissed stepping up to him.

"Is that a promise?"

Buzz Buzz Buzz

"I'll see you later Danni."

I got in the car before I answered my phone, "Hello?"

"Hey, how did it go?" Sidney asked.

"We'll talk about it when I get home. I'll see you in a few." And I hung up.

"Aunt Danni, who was that man?" Maddi asked as I backed out of my parking spot and drove home.

"We can talk about this when we get home."

Sidney's car was already in the driveway by the time we got back. He watched Maddi and I walk up the stairs to our rooms to change. I washed the make-up off my face and tossed my hair into my messy bun.

I went back downstairs and sat on the couch. Sidney was by my side in an instant, his arm around me. "What happened?"

"That son of a bitch. He's trying to prove I'm not a good guardian. They asked me questions about my personal life. They even asked about you." His forehead scrunched in confusion.

"What about me?"

"They asked if I was seeing someone and I had to tell them who. That bastard knew I was dating you. He's not doing this for Maddi, I just know it. There's ulterior motives."

"Are you getting a lawyer?"

"I need to call one."

"I can get you one Danni. We can get the best one in Pittsbu--"

"No, I've got one."

"Why won't you let me help?"

"This doesn't include you, Sidney. I don't want to drag you into this."

"I want to help you. I love you and Maddi and I don't want anything happening to either one of you. Let me help." He pleaded.

"There's nothing you can do. I have a lawyer back in Rochester that was there when I gained custody of Maddi. I just need to go see him soon."

"Then do that. Fly out to Rochester. I'll watch Maddi."

"I can't ask you to do that."

"You're not. I'm telling you I will. I'll keep her at Mario's, that way someone's always watching her." I closed my eyes and put my head in my hands. "Hey, everything's going to be fine." He comforted.

Maddi's little feet pattered down the stairs and into the living room. She stood in front of Sidney and I, "Why are you crying?"

"Sweetie, I need to tell you something. That man from before," I gulped, "...he's your father."

"I-I thought my daddy was..."

"I know and I'm sorry I lied to you baby girl. But your father wasn't there when you were born and I didn't know where he went."

"Am I going to live with daddy?"

"If you want too--"

"I want to stay with you and Sidney." She said, her big green eyes filling with tears.

"Then you'll stay with us. Nothing's going to happen to us Maddi. I promise." I hugged my goddaughter tightly. The thought of never holding her in my arms again scared me.

"Hey Maddi, do you want to have a sleepover at Lauren's house for a couple days?" Sidney asked. Maddi nodded her head.

"Are you gonna be there, Aunt Danni?"

"No sweetie. I need to go on a business trip for a couple days. Sidney and Lauren are going to watch you while I'm gone. Is that okay?"

"You promise to come back?"

"Of course. Why don't you go upstairs and pack?" She nodded and ran back upstairs. "I need to pack too." Sidney stood and followed me to the bedroom. I pulled out a suitcase and started packing some clothes. Sidney was on my laptop looking for a plane ticket to Rochester, "You've got a flight tomorrow morning." He confirmed. I didn't really acknowledge him. My mind was elsewhere.

I have to call my mom. I need to call into work. I need to call my lawyer. I need to find a drink.

My mind was racing with different situations of what could happen. This could be a 50/50. I could either keep Madison...or lose her completely. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I lost her. I promised her mother I'd watch her, keep her safe. I have to fight with everything I've got to make sure Stephen doesn't win.

"I'll drive Mads over to Mario's place and come back." Sidney told me. I just continued my packing. I heard Sidney say something to Maddi and then the front door close.

That's when I lost it. I just let it all out. I've been trying to be strong for Maddi but I don't know how long I can keep this up.

I settled down enough to call the other manager at Tim Horton's and inform him of my plans. He could tell from the sound of my voice that something was up but didn't question, "Take all the time you need Danni."

Next I called my mom, "Danielle, you aren't suppose to call till tomorrow."

"Mom, I'm coming home."

"What? Why? What's wrong?"

"I need to meet with the lawyer." I heard my mom say something away from the phone, probably telling my dad what was going on.

"Is Maddi coming with you?"

"No, she's staying at a friend's house. I can't take her out of school for this."

"How long will you be here?"

"I don't know. I just need to get stuff together."

"Danni, I'm so sorry this is happening."

"It's alright mom. We'll talk more when I get there. I've got a flight tomorrow morning."

"Okay, then we'll pick you up tomorrow at the airport. See you then Danni. Love you."

"Love you too mom."

I tossed my suitcase onto the floor and curled up under the covers. Sidney came back a half an hour later, laying down beside me, "I'm sorry I'm ruining your routines." I whispered.

"I'm more worried about you then the game. Just get some sleep."

---

I could have honestly stayed home instead being at the game but I wanted to be there for Sidney and the guys. I was no fun as the Penguins dominated against the Oilers. I stood in the back not wanting to get in anyone's way.

Vero tried to comfort me but I was not the best company at the moment. I felt bad but could you blame me?

"Sidney said the meeting didn't go to well." Mario said standing next to me. "You know, if you ever need anything, just ask."

"I know and I appreciate the offers and watching Maddi but I can't get Sidney or you into this. Maddi's father is up to something and I don't know why. This is something I need to do." Mario nodded putting his arm around my shoulders and bringing me close. Since coming into Sidney's life, Mario and Nathalie had become second parents to me. They love Maddi like their own grandchild and I know they would do anything for us.

"Danielle, I knew you were perfect for Sid when I first met you. I know you're watching out for him but he wants to watch out for you too. Don't push him away completely."

"This is a situation only I can take care of. I mean nothing against him...I just..."

"I understand. You do what you need too. We'll be right here when you need us."

"Aunt Danni! Come watch the game!" Maddi called out to me.

"Her mother would is so proud of you, Danni. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Mario's final words to me hit me hard as I took a deep breath and joined my goddaughter.

---

"Call me when you land." Sidney's forehead was pressed against mine as we stood in front of the airport security.

"I promise. Take care of Maddi."

"Of course. I'll feed her loads of sugar for when you get home." He joked. I cracked a grin. Sidney's hand cupped my chin, "There she is. I've missed that smile. This will all be over soon." He couldn't promise that but I smiled nonetheless.

With one final kiss, I passed through security and headed for my gate. I was on the plane 30 minutes later and headed home. Headed back to my past.

I couldn't sleep on the plane. My thoughts kept me from resting, just like the nights since I got that fucking letter.

I had to get my mind off of everything but something would relate to the problem. I tried listening to music but the playlists never changed since college. I tried to read but I would reread the same sentence five times in a row. Sleep was obviously out of the question and my only form of communication to the outside world was dying.

This was going to end soon. Just like Sidney said. I wanted to believe that Stephen would get smushed by a boulder but those chances were low.

I've been Maddi's guardian long enough to beat Stephen in this case but he has something up his sleeve. He obviously knows about Sidney but what could he possibly have to do with this?

I have an hour left in my flight. Once I land, I've got to do so much when all I want to do is crawl into bed and close the world out. But my trip home wasn't all business. I have personal things I need to do, something I'm praying will help.

When my plane landed in the Rochester Airport, I spotted my parents. And the tears I had thought stopped falling, came pouring out again, "Oh baby."

---

The winter days in Rochester were just as I remembered them; dark and cold. The couple days I was here I was haunted by these dark clouds over my head, following me around.

Today it decided to rain. Surprise, surprise. I had already met with the lawyer and he was gathering the information I needed and we will fly out with me to Pittsburgh. I would be heading back tomorrow but I had unfinished business.

"Are you sure you want to go alone?"

"I'll be fine mom." I said walking out the door to my car. I drove the empty streets for 20 minutes till I reached my destination. I parked my car right by the orchid tree in the back.

Mud stained the bottom of my jeans as I walked to the site. I pulled my jacket tighter against me. The sweatshirt I had underneath wasn't enough to keep me warm from this cold weather. The solid black stone was clean thanks to the rain. Droplets fell into the engravings of the angel and the lilies.

Addison Marie Johnson
Beloved Daughter, Friend, and Mother


"Hi Addie...It's been so long and I'm sorry it's just...I've been busy I guess. We moved to Pittsburgh, just like we planned to do. You wouldn't believe who we've met. The Pittsburgh Penguins. I know they're not the Sabres, but the things they've done for us...but I'm sure you already know," I let out a ragged breath.

"I have a letter from Maddi," I said pulling out the stationary paper from my coat pocket, "I took it before I left Pittsburgh. She wrote it the other day. I can read it to you if you don't mind. Hopefully she won't mind," I unfolded the paper and smiled at the five year old hand writing.

"Dear Mommy,
I haven't wrote in a while. Aunt Danni promised we'd visit soon. I still write you letters though, like the doctor says too. I go to this big school now. Everyone's nice to me. I don't like math. Aunt Danni told me you didn't like it either. But I'm getting better.

"I want to tell you about my new friends. They are so much fun. Me and Aunt Danni met them at Aunt Danni's work. They play hockey. Aunt Danni says you're the biggest hockey fan but these guys are even bigger because they play it. The whole team is really nice to me. They're teaching me about hockey and I'm getting it. Coach Dan even let me help at a practice once. It was so much fun!

"First there's Marc and Vero. They let me stay the night once and we had a big party with our other friends. They are really nice to me and Aunt Danni. Marc is going to teach me how to be a goalie because he plays hockey. Marc is always playing pranks on people and he let's me help. One time we put silly string in all of the players gloves and skates and helmets. Marc says I'm the best prankster. Vero says that she's going to have me and Aunt Danni go to their home in Canada. I have never been there and I'm really excited to go. Aunt Danni said that'll we can.

"Then there's Jordan. Hes really tall, so tall he can touch the stars! He promised to get one for me. I can beat him in wrestling. We wrestle all the time. He promised to take to meet his family sometime. He said he has three other brothers just like him and that they are really nice and tall. He's going to show me the farm he grew up on.

"Kris has really long hair but not as long as mine. He's really quiet and he's teaching me French because he can speak it really good! I asked him if he was from France and he said he was from Montreal. I don't know where that is but Aunt Danni told me it's in Canada too. He told me a story about his friend who died in an accident, just like you. He was really sad too. He even got a picture on his arm for his friend, just like Aunt Danni did for you. I want one too but Aunt Danni says I'm not old enough yet.

"Max is really funny. He's always joking around with Marc and Kris. He makes me laugh a lot. He always has a funny mustache too. He speaks French just like Kris and Marc and Vero. He promised to make sure I never date a hockey player. Boys are icky anyways! He's gonna teach me how to fight so I can be big and strong just like him.

"Geno talks funny. I don't really understand him but Aunt Danni says that's because he's Russian. But I like Geno, he's funny just like my other friends. He's really nice too. He said me and Aunt Danni should go to his home to visit him over the summer. I guess his mom and dad are far away. He said he misses them and doesn't get to see them much.

"Then there's Sidney. Sidney's really nice to me and Aunt Danni. He's always coming over and he brings us to his hockey games. He's even teaching me how to play hockey! I'm not that good right now but Sidney says I'll get better with practice. I think Aunt Danni really likes him. I know Sidney likes Aunt Danni, he even asked me if he could go on a date with her. I hope Sidney keeps taking Aunt Danni on dates. That means he'll always be around. And I like Sidney and his family. Mario and Nathalie are just as nice as Sidney. Sidney said that they are his second family because his first family is far away too. Lauren babysits me when Aunt Danni and Sidney go places together. Sometimes they will take me with them to the movies or to the zoo. We're a big, happy family. I wish you could be here too. You would like these guys a lot like me and Aunt Danni. Even though you are a Sabres fan and Aunt Danni says that teams are not suppose to like each other. But I'm starting to like the Penguins just as much as I like the Sabres.

"I really miss you Mommy. I know Aunt Danni does too. We missed you on Christmas and my birthday. I turned five this year! But me and Aunt Danni spended it with all our new friends. I got a lot of nice things too!

"I hope you're watching me and Aunt Danni. We're really happy but we miss you. When we go to visit Nana and Papa we will come visit you too and I'll bring your favorite flowers.

I love you Mommy. I hope you're happy in heaven.

Love, Maddi Johnson"


I couldn't control the tears as I read the note aloud. I folded the note back up and put it in the resealable bag leaning against the stone where Maddi's notes and pictures stayed. Along with the note, I slipped in a picture of Maddi and I that Vero had taken at the Christmas party. A recent photo each year was put in that bag.

"She's an amazing girl Addie. Just like you...Addie...I'm so, so sorry for letting this happen. I should of been more careful. I don't know what to do. But I promised you that I'd look after her and I will. I will do everything I can to keep Maddi away from that bastard. I won't fail you Addie. Just please, watch over her. If you're listening, please...please don't let me lose her. I won't live with myself. Just keep her safe and I'll do the rest. Nothing will happen to her Addie. I won't allow it." I kissed my hand and placed it over Addie's name.

"I miss you Addie."
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit sad but necessary. After writing that last chapter, I knew this is what I wanted to do with this one so here it is. I apologize now if this whole child custody thing isn't how it really goes. I'm kinda just doing it my own way. I'm sure there's a whole process but I don't know it so we'll stick with this for now.

Thanks for reading, commenting, and subscribing.

With love<3