Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

My Parents Are Coming

It's been a couple weeks since Danni returned from Rochester. She's still as out of it as she was when she left but things seemed to be getting better.

I worried about her when she was gone. Everything was crashing down on her and I wasn't sure what to do. She wouldn't let me help and the last thing I wanted to do was upset her. I tried to just be there for her, helping her out with Maddi and all. I'd pick Maddi up from school so Danni could work extra hours to help pay for the lawyer and everything else. I had offered to help with that but she rejected it.

"You just need to be there for her right now." Mario told me when Danni was gone those few days but I hated just sitting around and waiting. I wanted to do something. Danni and Maddi could be separated and I just had to wait to see what happens? Fuck that!

There has to be something I can do. I can't just let Danni do this on her own. I even promised Maddi...

I was tucking Maddi into the make shift bed in Lauren's room when Danni was in Rochester. Minutes before we had talked to the young girl's godmother on the phone, telling her about all of the things we've been doing. The guys and I had taken Maddi to all kinds of fun places to help her not think about Danni or her father. It seemed to be working until we talked to Danni.

Danni had just told Maddi that she visited her mother and told her all about their time in Pittsburgh, and that she gave her mother the letter Maddi wrote.

"Are the flowers still there?" Maddi asked.

"We're gonna have to plant some new ones in the spring. The old ones are dying because of the snow." Danni explained.

"We can plant her favorite flowers."

"Of course baby girl."

"Maybe Sidney can come with us to see Momma." I was taken back by the idea of intruding on a private moment, but Danni's reaction was different from mine.

"Of course. If Sidney wants too that is," She let out a tired sigh, "Well Maddi, you need to go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow when I get home. Behave for Sidney. I love you."

"Love you too Aunt Danni. Sweet dreams." Maddi hung up the phone and handed it back to me as she laid down in bed. "I'm sure Momma would love to meet you, Sidney." She said with a yawn.

"Well I'd love to meet her too." I replied tucking her into the covers.

"Sidney, am I going with my Daddy soon?"

"Not if you don't want too, Maddi."

"Is Aunt Danni leaving me?"

"No, she's trying to keep you and her together." I answered.

"Are you leaving me and Aunt Danni?" She asked softly.

"I'm not going anywhere Madison. As long as you'll keep me around."

"I don't want you to leave. I love you too."

"I love you too Maddi. Now get some sleep. We gotta pick up Aunt Danni in the morning." I kissed the five year old's forehead and walked to the door. As I turned to look back at Maddi, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.


"Thank you so much...for everything. I don't know what I'd do without you."

I smiled down at the text. This woman had no idea that I'd do anything for her, all she had to do was ask.

Maybe it was time I to tell her.


"I love you Danni. I'd do anything for you."

"I love you too, Sidney."

And since that night, I've been reminding her just how I feel. I know I'm not big on expressing myself but I had no problem telling Danni just how much she, and Madison, mean to me. I've never really felt this way towards anyone.

I've had girlfriends, sure, but nothing that is as serious as this relationship with Danni. I knew when I first met Danni that if I didn't do anything to talk to her, I'd regret it for the rest of my life. It didn't matter that she was taking care of a kid, that just showed me that she could hold her own, that she is responsible, that she's looking out for someone other than herself. Most girls would have had ulterior motives in our relationship but I knew with Danni...it was a different story.

When Danni returned, I thought that things would of gotten better. She had her lawyer and they were creating ways to take Stephen down but for now both Danni and I tried to keep all of this away from Maddi.

"She's too young to be worrying about this." Danni repeated as she got ready for bed, "I don't want her be thinking about this." I was laying in bed as she moved around the room. I had the TV turned on to NHL on the Fly but with Danni moving around so much, it was hard to concentrate.

"She's been busy with school and watching hockey, she hasn't had time to think about it." I told her. When Madison wasn't at school or doing homework, she'd watch practices or go to the games. I do everything I can to make sure she doesn't think about this custody case. She may be young, but she's not dumb. She knows what the consequences could be.

"I know but Maddi's a smart girl. She knows when somethings wrong." Danni said finally getting in bed, her laptop resting on her lap.

"You need to stop worrying about it, Danni. Everything will work out." I told her looking back at the TV. She let out a sigh and started clicking things on her computer.

I was intently watching a replay of the Flyers and Boston game and Lucic just laid out Simmonds when Danni asked,

"Sidney...what is that?"

"Lucic just checked Simmonds. The refs didn't even giv--"

"No. This." She turned her laptop towards me. I glanced over quickly, not wanting to miss the replays but I had to do a second take. I felt my jaw drop as I starred back at a picture of me and Maddi coming out of the Tim Horton's with some hot chocolate.

I remember this...It was when Danni was away.

"How is that possible?" I asked. Danni just scrolled through a bunch of pictures. Some of them were during practices and game days, others were of the two of us with the guys at lunch or dinner, "Danni I swear, I had no idea this was happening." I told her. Danni just shut the laptop and set it on the floor. She laid with her back to me and pulled the covers over herself. Any chance of making this better were low now.

-----

If I thought this could get any worse...it did.

After I found those pictures online, people have been following Maddi and I everywhere. And when Sidney was with us, all privacy was thrown out the window.

They followed us from work and school and practices. I actually caught someone outside of my house! They'll even follow me as I go to meet with my lawyer. Since then, I've been trying to follow what people are saying, just waiting for that day when the custody case is leaked out.

Sidney's been torn up about it. He didn't mean for it to happen, I mean, who does? But this was beating him up. He was constantly apologizing whenever someone snapped a picture of us. I actually had to restrain him from letting someone have it. I wasn't about to let him ruin his reputation because of me.

It was a Friday night when I had the chance to relax. I had the whole weekend off and the chance to, somewhat, get away from the chaos around me. Sidney had a game but I opted to stay home. Maddi had gone with him leaving me alone until late.

I sat in front of the TV watching the Penguins game while I ate my home cooked meal. Maddi must of had Sidney's phone because she was texting me about everything going on. How she even learned to text was beyond me. Must of been one of the boys.

When the game finished, I tidied up the place just a bit before I went and filled the tub with hot water and black raspberry soap for a relaxing soak. With my iPod speakers playing music softly and a glass of wine(with the bottle in arms reach) I relaxed into the water. My muscles loosened and I let out a sigh.

Since the Pens won, I had a while until Sid and Maddi returned home. It was already well past 11:00pm so hopefully Sidney will get Maddi to bed when they get back.

My phone went off just as I took a sip from my wine glass. I was expecting Maddi to let me know when they were leaving but when I looked it signaled that my brother was calling, "Hello James."

"Are you sitting down?" My face scrunched in confusion.

"Um, yeah. Why? Whats wrong?"

"I tried to tell her Danni but she wouldn't listen."

"James, what are you talking about?" He was starting to worry me.

"Mom...she's coming to Pittsburgh." I sat up in the tub.

"No she's not!" I didn't believe it.

"She's worried about you. You don't call her or answer her texts--"

"I do too!"

"--And she wants to make sure that Maddi is being taken care of."

"When is she coming?"

"Tomorrow."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me! Why is she doing this? Things are fine!"

"Mom's not convinced. You should of seen her over Christmas. All she did was talk about you and Maddi. She's not use to you being so far away for so long."

"It's my job. I have to be away."

"I tried to tell her. I thought I should warn you, but she wasn't going to tell you."

"She was just planning on waltzing right in?"

"Yeah, pretty much." I groaned.

"Alright, thanks James."

"Let me know how everything goes." I promised him I would and hung up. I scooped up the wine bottle, forgetting my glass and took a big gulp.

I sat back in the tub and considered just drowning myself but I heard the front door open and close. The floorboard creaked under the one set of footsteps down the hall and into Maddi's room. It was several minutes until I heard the same steps come down the hall and into the bedroom. Sidney must of noticed the empty bed and made his way to the bathroom.

"Rough night?" He asked with a smirk noticing the bottle in my hands.

"You have no idea." I said taking a sip. He shrugged off his jacket and began undoing his tie. "You had a good game. Congrats on the win."

"Thanks." His shirt was next to go and I sat and watched as layer by layer his clothes piled into the hamper until he was nudging me to make room behind me in the tub. He took the bottle from my hands and had a swig before setting in on the floor.

I leaned back against his chest as the two of us let out sighs of content. Even after the phone call, I was able to be calm for a few seconds...before I had to tell Sidney.

"My parents are coming." I said just above a whisper. I was expecting some kind of freak out, maybe even a startle but Sidney did neither. He only asked,

"When?"

"Tomorrow." His hands glided up and down my sides.

"Do they know?"

"No." I honestly didn't know if they knew or not. With these pictures leaking out, who knows what people know. I think my mother has no idea that I'm even acquainted with the Pittsburgh Penguins, just that I've taken Maddi to a few games. Hell, she wouldn't even know who Sidney is if he walked up to her with a Penguins shirt on. My dad would know. He knows enough about the sports world to know who Sidney is.

"What are you going to do?"

"I can introduce you or you can run for the hills. My mother is just making sure I'm still alive down here."

"How about I stay at Mario's for a couple nights and when you're ready, I can meet them." Sid suggested. That would actually be easier. I can get my mother's worry about Stephen out of the way and then break the news that I've got a boyfriend...a very smart one at that.

"That'll work." I tilted my head to look up at him, "But seriously, if you want to run for it, I'd totally understand." He chuckled.

"I'm not going anywhere."

---

The next morning Maddi and I awaited the arrival of my parents. We spent the morning cleaning the house, making up the guest room, grocery shopping, and anything else that will make this stay a little easier on myself.

By the time they arrived it was around noon. Madison answered the door enthusiastically, just like she always does, "Grandma! Grandpa!"

"There's my girl!" My father said, scooping up he six year old as he entered the house.

"Hey dad." I gave my father a hug and kissed his old aged cheek, "Nice of you to drop on by." I said.

"James call you?" I nodded as my father stepped aside to reveal my mother, taking in the house.

"Hello mother."

"It's good to see you again, Danielle." She greeted. I took her bag from her and brought it to the guest room on the first floor. My father followed behind, giving me a sympathetic smile as I passed by him back to the living room.

"This is a nice place Danielle."

"Thanks dad. Can I get you two anything?" My mother requested a cup of tea, whereas my father was going for something a little harder. I cracked open his favorite beer and slid it across the table. Then I set to making my mom and I a cup.

"How's work going?" My dad asked.

"Work is work. It's quite busy though. People like their Tim Horton's."

"You and Addie were smart to suggest it." He complimented.

"Who watches Maddi when you work?" I gave my mother her cup which was made up with her milk and sugar. I stirred my own and took a sip.

"I have a friend that will sometimes. I also hired someone to watch her when I need it."

"What's your work schedule?" The only reason she's doing this is because I don't call enough for her to ask then. I'm starting to think I need to call more often so this doesn't happen.

"I work while Maddi's in school, but I've had to pick up extra shifts for the lawyer."

"Does Maddi know?" I was mid-sip when she asked. I slowly set my cup down and nodded, "What did you tell her?"

"I explained that her father wanted her to live with him. And I apologized for lying to her."

"What does she think of all this?" My dad spoke up this time, concerned for his adopted granddaughter.

"She doesn't want to leave me." He nodded, happy with the answer I guess.

"What are you doing to keep her?" I turned back to my mom.

"Everything mom. I'm doing everything."

"Why don't we go get some food? You and Maddi can show us around Pittsburgh." My dad suggested realizing my wanting of the conversation to end. I know it wouldn't be the last time we talk about it but I am in no mood today...or the next.

Maddi was more than happy to play tour guide as I drove my folks around town. We went to the mall, walked the street with the good shops on them. Maddi even pointed out the arena when we passed it, "I love going there, Grandpa. I'm going to play hockey and one day I'll get to play there." She said to my father. I noticed his smile in the rear view mirror but I certainly did not miss my mother's questioning glance at me.

"It doesn't sound that bad." Sidney said that night when I called. I had explained the days happenings in the same amount of painful detail that I experienced them in but Sidney would just let out a chuckle.

"Oh, what do you know?"

"I know a lot of things."

"Of course you do." I said rolling my eyes.

"So when do I get to meet the folks?"

"Never. I'm locking you away until they leave."

"Seriously Danni." I let out a sigh.

"I know, I know. I'm still not sure. It's only been one day." Sidney understood that, but it didn't stop him from asking.

---

The next day we spent it at the house. Snow was still falling in the month of February with enough force to keep the streets slick until the evening. By then it's suppose to slow down, so the option of going to the game tonight was possible.

Sidney suggested taking my parents to a game, that way they can get a glimpse of what he does before they meet him. I was still unsure of this plan but he was determined that I'd see it his way. And of course Madison would never turn down seeing the guys play.

Maddi and my father were sitting at the island working on Maddi's homework. I was cooking an early dinner, trying to come up with a way to convince my parents to go to the game tonight. And my mother was doing God knows what.

I was mixing the chicken on the stove when my mother's voice rang through the air, "Danielle, what are these?"

"What's what mom?" I asked not turning around.

"Oh those are Sidney's!" Maddi answered. I spun around, dropping my spoon in the process. My mother was standing in the entrance way of the kitchen holding a button down shirt and black slacks, both obviously too big for me.

"Who's Sidney?" My father asked.

"Mother, what are you doing in my laundry?"

"I was helping you do the laundry when I found these. Who do these belong too?" My mother demanded.

"They're Sidney's."

"Who is Sidney?" She asked walking closer and tossing his clothes onto a chair.

"Sidney is a friend."

"A guy friend?" My father added. His raised eyebrow indicated he was concerned for his little girl, unlike my mother who was thinking on a whole other level.

"Sidney's..."

"Sidney's her boyfriend." Maddi gushed. That five year old thinks she's so smart.

"Boyfriend? You have a boyfriend? When did this happen? Danielle you cannot have a boy--"

"Mother please!"

"I haven't even met this 'boyfriend."

"Oh but Grandma, Sidney's really nice. So are the other guys!" My mother's eyes practically fell out of her head as those words passed through Maddi's lips.

"Other guys? Danielle Marie, what is she talking about?" My mother asked with a raised voice.

"Okay, just let me explain. It's not as bad as it sounds," My parents were both starring at me intently as I tried to come up with the best explanation, "Yes, Sidney is my boyfriend. Um, we've been dating for a few months now."

"And what does Sidney do?" My mom crossed her arms, popping out one of her hips with a little attitude.

"Sidney plays hockey for the Penguins!"

"Wait a minute...Sidney...plays for the Penguins...you're not talking about Sidney...Crosby....are you?" My dad questioned, stepping closer to me. I nodded. My dad hugging me was the last reaction I imagined would happen.

"Who's Sidney Crosby?" My mom was not getting it.

"He wants you guys to come to the game tonight. He wants to meet you." I told them but my dad was the only one that knew what that meant.

"Are you serious? Oh we are so going!" He cheered like a young boy.

"He even gave me a jersey! Come on Grandpa, I'll show you!" Maddi jumped from her seat and took my fathers hand, leading him upstairs to her room to show him all of the memorabilia she was given. That left me alone with my mother.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you Ma. I just, wasn't expecting this Stephen thing and I was hoping for a longer time until it came to 'meeting the folks'. I was going to tell you."

"Danielle," She sighed, putting her hands on my shoulders, "His he good to you? And Madison?"

"Like you wouldn't believe mom." I answered with a grin. She sighed.

"Then I'm happy for you. I just wish you told me. You know I worry about you and Maddi, especially when it comes to you dating. You're a brilliant woman, Danielle. I don't want to see some guy treating you bad. You and Madison."

"Sidney's a great guy mom. He adores Maddi so much. I wouldn't of let him into her life otherwise."

"I know baby girl," She patted my cheek, "Now who are these other guys?" I laughed.

"I'll introduce you tonight."

When it came time for the game, Maddi and my father were ecstatic to be going. Sidney had gotten seats to impress that's for sure; only a few rows up from the Penguins bench. My father and Maddi sat between mom and I as we watched the warm ups.

Maddi was dressed in her Crosby jersey, like always, and I had loaned my dad the jersey Sidney gave me. The two of them sat there and talked endlessly about the team and their stats. Maddi pointed out all of the players and their pros and cons, like my dad wouldn't know them already.

Occasionally, I would look around the two at my mom. She was watching the ice with a blank face. I couldn't figure out if she was at least enjoying herself or not. From what I could see, it was almost like she was listening to Maddi explain each player and then look for them on the ice as they skated around in circles doing their warm-up drills.

"And then there's Sidney. He's really good. He's teaching me how to play hockey. He's the captain of the team. He even lives with Mario who use to play for the Penguins but now he owns the team." I heard Maddi explain to my dad who just sat there in disbelief. This five year old was just shooting out facts about hockey. Anyone would have been impressed.

As she explained more about Sidney and the team, my eyes went to find that certain number. He stood in the middle of the ice, talking with Geno as they waited for their turn in the line. As they talked, his eyes were on the crowd like he was looking for something. His eyes stopped on me and my family and he smiled. Geno noticed the look on his Captain's face and followed his eyes, seeing all of us. the Russian just laughed and waved up at us. Maddi returned it with a eager wave of her hand.

When the buzzer rang for the end of warm-ups, Sidney skated to the bench and looked up at me once more as he got some water. I sent him a smile and a thumbs up for good luck. He cracked that famous goofy grin and joined his team in the tunnel back to the locker room.

"For a guy about to meet your parents, he's very calm." My dad teased. I shook my head with a laugh and waited for the game to begin.

---

The Penguins shut out the Leafs at the end of sixty minutes. Maddi was practically dragging my dad down to the locker room so he could meet the team. My mom and I were a few feet back watching the old man try and keep up with the five year old.

"Now, I don't know much about hockey, but Sidney seemed to play well."

"Just one goal and three assists, mom." I said with a smile.

The four of us stood in the family lounge waiting for the players to emerge with the others. I introduced my folks to Vero and a few of the other WAG's. Of course most of them asked me if this was the first time Sidney was meeting them and when I answered they'd just laugh and say, "He must of impressed them so far."

"Danni, so good to see you here." I felt Mario's hand pat my shoulder as he walked up from behind me.

"Good to see you too. Mario, I'd like to introduce my mother, Georgia. Mom, this is Mario Lemieux." I introduced. Mario and my mom shook each others hand.

"It's nice to meet you. Maddi has talked a lot about you." My mom informed the Pens Owner.

"Maddi is a sweet girl. She's becoming an avid hockey fan."

"She's just like her mother." My mom said just as some of the players filed out of the locker room. Most of them went to their families and some came over my Mario and my family. And who better to be the first than the Superstar himself.

"This must be Mrs. Samson! It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Mom, this is Max Talbot."

"It's nice to meet you." She greeted.

I just sat back and watched as my mom and Max talked like they were old friends. But Max always had that charm about him. Marc and Kris came over a few minutes later. Jordan and Geno not far behind. I silently laughed as I noticed my mom get wide-eyed as she was approached by these handsome men.

"I have to tell you Danni, Sidney's been pretty jumpy since he saw your folks in the stands." Max said as we stepped aside while my parents chatted with the team.

"He looked fine to me." I said recalling his calmness on the ice. Max let out a laugh but my attention was turned to Sidney casually walking into the lounge. Dressed to impress with his black suit and white shirt. He smiled and waved at those he walked by, his path headed towards our small group.

"There he is! The man of the hour!" Max yelled out, making the first impression interesting.

"Mom, Dad, this is Sidney." I said, putting my arm around Sid's waist. He stuck out a hand which my dad took.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Samson."

"You too Sidney. You had a great game tonight." My dad said, causing Sidney to smile.

"Did you enjoy the game?"

"It was defiantly an experience. Maddi had nothing but good things to say about everyone on the team." My mom explained. Maddi smiled up at all of the guys, a few of them giving her a high five.

We stood there and talked a little before the guys decided to head out. Each one expressed their happiness of meeting my parents. It was like they were trying to impress my folks. Or they're trying help Sidney look good, which wasn't hard.

"We should be heading home." I say looking down at Maddi. She was leaning against Sidney's leg, her eyes droopy.

"Can Sidney bring me home?" Madison asked glancing up at Sidney and I.

"I think Sidney wants to get home."

"No, that's alright. I can take her." Sidney told me. I shrugged.

I gave Sidney Maddi's car seat and got into the drivers seat of my car, my mother sitting beside me and my dad in the back.

"Well so far, Sidney is a nice guy," My dad started, "I mean those seats were awesome. And the way he, and the rest of the guys, treat Madison. You defiantly found a good one there Danni."

"He seems nice but we still don't know much about him. Does he know about Stephen?"

"Yes mom. I've explained everything to him."

"Is he helping you with the lawyer?"

"Of course not! I won't allow it."

"Why not?"

"I don't want him getting mixed in with whatever Stephen is doing. I'm just looking out for him."

"Maybe he wants to look out for you and Maddi. Sidney seems like a decent guy. Don't be afraid to ask him for help. I'm positive he'll be there for you." I know my dad is right but I can't help but think what the media would say if they found out about this. Because I know once everyone knows, it will come back and haunt us all.

---

"She's asleep?"

"Knocked out before I pulled out of the parking lot." Sidney answered, laying Madison in her bed. I took off the jersey and her shoes and carefully changed her into pajamas. I kissed the top of her head and walked out of Maddi's room.

"You don't have to stay. You know they're going to interrogate you." I whispered just outside Maddi's door.

"I wouldn't expect anything less." Sidney replied putting his hands on my waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck, standing on my toes to place my lips to his. "Maybe I can sneak back later." Sidney mumbled, pulling away slightly.

"I'll leave the door unlocked." He smirked leaving me with one last kiss before taking my hand and walking down stairs to meet my parents in the kitchen.

It was about an hour and a half before Sidney left. My parents tossed so many questions at him, he probably thought it was another interview. None of the questions were about the custody case but about his family, his home life, hockey, and anything else Sidney Crosby's girlfriends parents would ask him.

"I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer."

"Then maybe we can trade places." I joked with Sidney. We stood outside by his car after my parents declared it was getting late. Sidney was leaving tomorrow after a morning practice for a quick road trip. By the time he'd return, my parents would be gone.

"Maybe you and Maddi can come on the road sometime." He suggested, his hands rubbing my arms to keep warm.

"I wouldn't want us to be a distraction."

"You're far from a distraction."

"Let's just see how everything goes first." I mumbled. Sidney nodded, understanding that I didn't want to get ahead of myself. I'm determined to win this case but if there's any chance of losing...

"Hey, stop thinking about it." Sidney said lifting my chin up so I look into those hazel eyes. "Everything will be fine. We'll keep fighting. Together."
♠ ♠ ♠
Super long chapter. Hope it's alright. Think of it as a late Christmas/early New Years gift from me to you :) I'm hoping I can get better at updating. I get those wonderful comments and then won't update for a few days. I feel bad, but I promise to get better. Thanks again for the comments by the way!

I hope you all have a great New Years and 2012 is good for you!

Keep reading, subscribing, and commenting!!

With love, <3