Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

I Don't Need His Help

Before I left for my road trip, I promised Danni's folks that there'd be other times we can talk. They only had a couple days after the first meeting to get to know me before I had to leave. At least I could leave on the road trip with the hint that they liked me. By the time I got home I knew they would already be back in Rochester.

Danni told me she was meeting with her lawyer today and had dropped Maddi off with Lauren. So I stopped by my side of the Lemieux's house to drop my things off. Through the few months of being with Danni, I had slowly moved in with her. Danni had set aside a few drawers for my things and when I had my suits washed at her place they were hanging in the closet. It might of looked like things were going too fast between us but...I love her and I want to be with her.

I traded out my clothes from this road trip and got the things I needed for the next to take to Danni's. Then I headed over to Mario's side to find Maddi. She and Lauren were sitting in front of the TV playing some card game.

"Hey Maddi." The five year old looked up at me and smiled, setting her cards down and running over to me.

"Sidney!" I picked her up and rested her on my hip with her little arms holding on to my neck.

"Sid...dad wants to see you in his office." Lauren told me, her voice not as enthusiastic as it has been when Mario wants to see me. I set Maddi down and headed for the office.

"Ah, Sidney, you're home."

"Mom? Dad?" My mother was sitting in one of the chairs in front of Mario's desk and my dad had stopped his pacing. "What's going on here?"

"Sidney, there have been...pictures leaked on the internet." Mario said.

"Yeah, I know. Danni found them before I left for the road."

"Why haven't you told us about this girl, Sidney?" My dad asked.

"Because the relationship is still new."

"New? From the sounds of it, it's moving pretty fast. You spend all your time with her. Are you even focusing on the playoffs coming up?"

"Yes dad, I am. We've been winning every game. We're number two in the division by one point."

"Sidney, this girl is going to get in the way. It needs to end."

"She's far from in the way, dad. You don't know her."

"Sidney she's got a kid! She's going to use you for your money! She obviously can't take care of this kid on her own since she's being sued!" My father has never raised his voice at me, not like that. He didn't have the story straight and as much as I love my dad, he has no idea what's really going on.

"Dad, where did you hear all of this?"

"It's all over the papers. I wake up one morning to see my son with a child on the front cover. Then more pictures with this...this puck slut!" My dad stepped towards me in my face.

"Dad, stop. Just let me explain."

"There's nothing to explain! This woman is going to ruin everything you've worked for! This, whatever it is, has to end. She's going to take your money and run."

"Troy." My mom said trying to stop him.

"No, he's a grown man. He can't be running around with this chick and her daughter! She can't take care of herself! I mean, what happened to the girl's father Sid?"

"Troy!" My mom hissed.

"He obviously didn't want to stick around! Don't let this woman take away everything you've worked for! She's not worth--"

"Troy!" My dad stopped when my mom raised her voice.

"Danielle." Mario jumped out of his seat. My eyes widened and I spun around to see Danni standing in the doorway. Her cheeks were tainted red with anger. I had never seen Danni upset except when she got the letter but this...she was beyond pissed.

"Danni, what ar--" I started.

"I came to pick up Maddi. Lauren said you were...here. Hi, you must be Sidney's parents." Danni walked into the room and stood next to me. My dad's face never fell from it's angry state, "I've heard a lot about you. And obviously you've heard nothing about me." She looked at me. I noticed her eyes were red and watery.

"So let me start by saying, how dare you. How dare you jump to conclusions about me or my goddaughter. How dare you call me a puck slut. And how dare you think that I am incapable of taking care of that little girl downstairs! If you knew half the truth, you'd be kicking yourself in the ass right about now."

"How dare you speak to me like this!" My dad tried to defend himself but Danni wasn't going to let him have a chance.

"You want to know the truth? You want to know what those papers don't know? I took Maddi in when her mother died. Her father abandoned her and her mother died. I was the only thing she had." My mom was blinking back tears I know she never wanted to cry. She had one hand over her mouth in disbelief of the story Danni was telling, and her other was over her heart at just the thought of a little girl losing her mother.

"I moved to Pittsburgh for my job. Meeting your son was never my plan. He just happened to walk into my Tim Horton's. And since that day, he's been nothing but good to that little girl, giving her what I know I couldn't. I'm not talking about his money or his fame because that's not what Madison needs. I've got all of that. What she needs is a male figure in her life and that's what he given her.

"Madison loves your son more than anything. And so do I. But I don't need his help. I don't need his money or his connections or anything! I've been capable of taking care of Madison with the money I've saved since the day she was born. I have money, and plenty of it. If anything was to happen to her, or even Sidney, I'd have the money to take care of them.

"I don't care who your son is or what he does for a living," Danni said in a whisper, "But I will not tolerate someone, who doesn't even know me, say awful things about my family."

Everyone in the office was stunned into silence. No one has ever talked to my father like that and Danni was certainly the last person I'd imagined being the first. I didn't know if I should be upset that she spoke to my father that way or happy that she wasn't going to take bullshit from anyone when it came to her family. She's been through enough and my father was the breaking point.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take care of some business." Danni stormed out of the office. The sound of the front door opening and closing minutes later was the realization that her point was made clear.

"Danni runs numerous Tim Horton's in New York, and she's creating more here. She put Madison in a good school, giving her the opportunity to live as normal of a life as she can. She's even letting Maddi play hockey next year. Danni doesn't need anything from me, even though I'd give her the world if she just asked.

"You're right dad. I'm a grown man. And if I want Danni and Madison in my life then you'll just have to learn to accept it." With my final words I headed out of the house to grab my things and drive over to Danni's place.

I entered the house quietly, not sure what I would find on the inside. Most of the lights were off, the curtains open to let in the sun light.

Madison was sitting on the couch with the TV on low. I approached her careful not to scare her, "Hey Maddi, where's your Aunt?"

"She's in her room. Is everything okay Sidney? Aunt Danni looked like she was crying." I patted Maddi's head, smiled gently.

"Yeah, everything's alright."

I walked upstairs and stopped at the bedroom door. There was a slight crack giving me a view of the bed. Danni was sitting on the edge of the bed, her head in her hands. She hadn't even changed out of the dress she wore to her meeting.

The door creaked as I opened it causing Danni to look up. She stood and wiped her eyes, "What are you doing here?" She walked to the dresser to pull out a pair of sweats and started looking for a shirt.

"I came to see if you're alright."

"I'm fine. You should go back to your family. Looked like your sister wanted to see you."

"My sister? Taylor was there?"

"She was in the living room with Lauren and Maddi when I got there."

"Danni," I grabbed her arms to stop her from moving, "I'm so sorry this happened. I didn't know they were here till I got home. And I was going to tell them about you and Maddi, I swear,"

"But?"

"I wanted to wait a little. Until after this custody thing was over. You have so much to worry about and I didn't want to add my parents to the mix. You saw how my dad was. He's like that with every woman that get's close to me."

"They love you Sid. They want what's best for you."

"Then they'll have to learn that you're whats best for me." Danni had been avoiding my gaze but she finally looked up at me. I brushed a stray tear away with my thumb, "You mean everything to me, Danni. And if I have to prove it to you, I will." I smirked, "I even told my dad off. And Danni, I've never done that before," She smiled, "I love you."

"I love you too Sidney." I leaned down and kissed her. She melted into me, her body fitting into mine like a puzzle piece. This is the woman I'm meant to be with and I'll do my best to make that come true.

"How about, I call some of the guys over, order a pizza and get you a beer. It's time for you to relax with me and Maddi and everyone that loves you. How's that sound?" She smiled and nodded. "Good, now go get changed." I said slapping her butt, making her laugh.

The guys were over in a second after I briefly explained my parents encounter. Vero even brought ice cream.

Maddi helped me clean the place before the guys showed up. When Danni came down she was about to help, but I cracked open a beer and handed it to her. She smiled and took it.

When the guys showed up the quiet atmosphere made a 180. All of the guys hugged and kissed her. Flower brought over his Wii Console and started up a game of Mario Kart. The guys got into it with Maddi, letting the little girl win a couple of games.

The five pizzas I had ordered was gone in half an hour, and the ice cream had no chance either.

I knew bringing the guys over would give Danni the chance to forget everything that's going on for just a night. She needs it.

"So she met the folks, eh?" Flower asked leaning against the island beside me. Maddi was sitting on Danni's lap as the five year old helped her Aunt in a race against Jordan.

"Flower, I've never seen anyone talk to my dad that way."

"Fuck, I wish I was there for that." He joked sipping his beer, "You know what this means, right?" I raised an eyebrow. "You better marry that girl."

"It's harder then that, Marc." I said shaking my head.

"See, but it's not. I'm gonna tell you this because you wouldn't want Vero doing it," He pointed at Danni, "Not many of those come around often. You better do something about it or one of these other dipshits will."

---

Danni had to be at Tim Horton's early the next morning so I took Maddi to school and promised to pick her up after morning skate.

Practice was light since we had a game tonight. Coach ended it early giving me time before I had to pick Maddi up. I thought I'd stop by Tim Horton's and grab something to drink.

A teenager I've seen the numerous times I come here was standing at the front cash register, "Hey Sidney, what can I get you?" She asked.

"Two hot chocolates. Where's Danni?" I replied giving her the money for the drinks. It was well known to the staff here that Danni and I were together. All of them were pretty cool about it, never making a scene about it. They respected my privacy and their bosses privacy.

"In the back. You can go see her. I'll bring you your drinks." I thanked the girl and headed to Danni's office. She was slouched over a some paper work, a hand rubbing her temples. I softly knocked on the door.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" She asked sitting up. I went and stood next to her desk, leaning against it.

"Got out early. I had sometime before I pick Maddi up so I thought I'd stop by."

"How was practice?"

"Good, defiantly ready for Vancouver. You coming tonight?" She nodded. "It should be a good game."

"Sidney?" I turned to the door, "Here's your hot chocolate." The teenager handed me the two cups and I thanked her. I set them on the desk and as I did I got a better look at the papers Danni was starring at.

"What's going on with Stephen?" She let out a long sigh.

"He's demanding more money. He says that with those pictures getting out, it's obvious he needs more to make sure Madison is taken better care of."

"By taking more money? People are really buying that shit?" I asked.

"Apparently, since I'm still being sued."

"How much does he want now?"

"$700,000." My jaw dropped.

"You're joking...right?" She handed me the paper and I read it in black and white, that ridiculous number. That has to be everything she's got. I can't let her do that. "Danni, if you need anything. I can help you with this."

"The money isn't the problem Sidney. I can pay for this."

"Danni, that's a lot of money. I want to help you." She shook her head.

"When I told your father that I didn't need your money...I meant it," She let out a little laugh, "When I was sixteen, my uncle told me all about stocks and if I invested young I could retire at the age of fifty with enough cash in the bank to support my family. So for my birthday, I bought some stocks. Everyone's dream birthday gift, huh?

"The money was suppose to help pay for school but when I got a full paid scholarship, I put it in an savings account. I invested more to earn more and when I got a job with Tim Horton's, I added more money to that account. It helped pay for the apartment and all that. But when Addie died, all that money became Maddi's college fund.

"Sidney, I don't want you to think for one second that I'm taking any of your hard earned money because...right now it sucks knowing all mine is going down the drain." She choked back a sob. I knelled down and took her hands.

"I'm very proud of you Danni, proud of everything you've done. And I really want to help you. I will give you the money. It will be the best money I've ever spent as long as you are happy."

"As long as we win this case, you can save your money and spend it on something else." She put her hand against my cheek and I kissed the palm of her hand. "You should get going. Maddi should be out soon." I nodded, kissed her and headed out with my two cups.

The women in the school office have gotten use to seeing me pick Maddi up. Don't think I didn't notice the dreamy looks they gave me when Maddi would come running up to me, just like today.

"Hey babygirl. Ready to go?" She nodded and we walked out to my car, getting her in her car seat. I handed her, her small hot chocolate and told her about my practice and she told me about her day at school.

"And Billy...Billy said that you guys were gonna lose tonight."

"And why would Billy say that?" I asked glancing into the rear view mirror.

"Billy's dad is a Canuck fan and his dad said that our defense won't be able to handle their offense."

"Well then, I guess we'll have to show Billy's dad that we can, eh?"

"I'm gonna tell Kris to beat up their offense."

"You can't do that Mads. We gotta play fair." She sighed. I just laughed at the little girl. She will defiantly be a hockey player.

Back home, Maddi did her homework as I laid out a suit for tonight. I had to make a few phone calls thanks to my agent but when I finished Maddi came into the room and climbed under the covers, "Ready for a nap?" I asked. She nodded and curled into my side once I laid down.

If you told me about a year ago that I'd be taking my pregame nap with the five year old goddaughter of my girlfriend...I probably would of laughed at the thought of someone disrupting my routine. But as I gazed down at this amazing little girl, I couldn't image [i[not having her here. Maddi and Danni have become apart of my life and...I want them to always be.

I want to come home from practices and games to Maddi hugging me at the door and Danni lying beside me every night. I want Maddi to walk around CONSOL with me, both of us focusing on the game ahead. I want Danni wearing my jersey in the stands cheering me on, win or lose. And maybe, just maybe there'd be more.

---

Knock Knock Knock

I stirred blinking the sleep from my eyes. I reached over and grabbed my phone of the bedside table. It was a few minutes before my alarm was about to go off.

Knock Knock Knock

I carefully climbed out of bed, hoping not to wake up Maddi as she snored lightly. The house was still empty since Danni wouldn't be home for another half an hour. I answered the door, my eyes still getting use to the light from the sun. When I could finally see clearly I was surprised by who was here, "Mom? Taylor?"

"Oh good, this is the right house." My mom said, relaxing just a little. I opened the door wider for them and shut the door quietly.

"Where's Danni?" My mom asked looking around the place.

"She's at work still. She should be back soon." She nodded.

"And Madison?"

"Sleeping upstairs. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah...yes. I'm sorry about just showing up. Mario gave us the address."

"Mom it's alright. Where's dad?" I grabbed three water bottles for each of us, cracking mine open.

"He's still at Mario's. Sidney...I want to apologize for yesterday. Your father was out of hand but he does love you. He's just looking out for you."

"I know mom, but if he knew Danni..."

"I think he does now. He was speechless after you left. He's barely spoken to anyone since."

"It's really weird." Taylor added. I smirked at her.

"But I know he's sorry, but you know how your father can be."

"Sidney?" A small, tired voice caused all of us to look at the stairway. Maddi stood there rubbing her eyes, her hair tousled.

"Hey babygirl." She slowly walked over to me, eyeing my mom and sister as I lifted her up on the counter, "Maddi, this is my mom Trina and my sister Taylor."

"Hi." She said softly.

"Hi sweetheart." My mom smiled at the little girl with the same look she would give younger family members.

"How old are you Maddi?" Taylor asked, attempting to get to know her. Maddi held up all five fingers. "I hear you're a big hockey fan." Maddi smiled and nodded.

"She wants to play hockey next year." I said.

"You do? Is Sidney teaching you how to play?"

"Yeah and the other guys are too."

"That must be fun. You know I play hockey too."

"Do you really?"

"Of course. Maybe I can help you out too." Maddi patted my arm and I helped her off the counter. She moved over to Taylor's side and took her hand.

"Sidney step up a net in the basement and he helps me with shooting since it's cold outside."

"Then why don't we go see if my big brother has taught you well." Taylor said smirking and letting Maddi take her to the basement.

"Sidney, she is adorable." My mother gushed when they were gone.

"She's one of the only little girls I know that can make entire hockey putty in her hands." I joked knowing that each one of the guys on the team would do anything for Maddi.

"Does she go to the games?"

"Yeah, she sits with Mario and they talk hockey the whole time. That's what Danni says anyways."

"It'll be cute to see that."

"Are you coming to the game tonight?" She nodded.

"So is your father." I nodded this time. "You should go get ready. Do you think Danni will mind if I start cooking?"

"I'm sure she won't." I kissed my mom's head, "I wont' be long." And I jogged up the stairs.

---------------------------------

When I pulled into my driveway I was confused who's black car was parked there. Maybe it's one of the boys but I don't know why they'd be here on a game day.

I let myself in the house and was blown over by the delicious smell floating in the air.

"Hello? Anyone home?" I called out, dropping my purse on a table. I picked up the mail, flipping through it as I followed the mouth watering scent.

What I wasn't expecting was to see an older woman mixing a giant salad bowl in my kitchen, "Hello." I said. She looked up, eyes widening like she was caught taking a cookie from the cookie jar.

She wiped her hands on a towel and walked over to me, "Danni...I'm Trina, Sidney's mom."

"Yes, I remember." I said a little skeptical of why she here and cooking in my house.

"I'm sorry for intruding. Sidney said you were still at work."

"No, no it's alright. You just caught me by surprise."

"Danni...I want to apologize. Yesterday was uncalled for and I'm sorry."

"Mrs. Crosby it's alright. I'm sorry for getting out of line."

"Dear," she placed her hand on my shoulder, "You did what a mother would of done. Never apologize for loving Madison. She's a sweet girl and you've done a wonderful job with her."

"That means a lot coming from you." I said. Mrs. Crosby blushed and waved me off.

"Sidney's upstairs getting dressed and Madison is downstairs with Taylor. You go get changed and I'll finish up here. Tell Sidney it's almost ready." I smiled as she went back to work and turned to head up the stairs.

I stood in the doorway and pushed the door open. Sidney was looking in the vanity mirror, putting his tie on. I strolled up to him, my hands on my hips. He looked at me through the reflection then slowly straightened up, "Hey babe."

"Dinner's almost ready." I said with a smirk.

"So...you've met my mom?"

"Yes I did."

"...And?"

"She said she was sorry and said she would've done the same thing if she was in my place."

"So...everything is good." I smiled and kissed his cheek. I grabbed a change of clothes and joined everyone downstairs.

Sidney's mom was helping Maddi fill her plate with some chicken pasta and salad. It reminded me of when my mom was in town and she would help Maddi with whatever she needed, just like every grandmother would do for their grandchild.

Sidney was talking to Taylor making her smile and laugh at his words. It was a sight to see. A family reunited and maybe a new one in the making.

---

"Kris! Kris! Kris!" Maddi yelled at the quiet defender when we arrived at the arena. Kris stopped walking and waited for Maddi to catch up to him. Kris picked her up and continued walking towards the locker room.

I raised an eyebrow when he threw his head back in a loud laugh, startling everyone around.

"What's that all about?" Mrs. Crosby asked. I just shrugged and continued my way to the lounge.

"Mrs. Crosby, so nice to see you again." Vero said walking up to Sidney's family and I.

"You too Vero. How's everything been?" They fell into casual conversation as I looked about the room.

Maddi had stayed with Kris as he went to the locker room and she should of been back by now. I excused myself from the group and went to search for her, heading for the locker room first.

I easily spotted the red headed girl standing next to Sidney who was dressed in his Under Armour, but it looked like she was talking to someone.

"Maddi?" Sidney and Madison turned giving me a clear view of who she was talking too. Kneeling before her was Mr. Crosby. Once he spotted me I was expecting anger to flash across his face, sort of like mine kind of did, but instead he bent his head suddenly unsure what to do.

"Sorry Aunt Danni, I was saying hi to Sidney's daddy." My goddaughter answered.

"Hey Mads, how about we go play a prank on Flower?" She nodded and followed Sidney to where ever mischief took them.

This left me standing before the same man I had yelled at almost 24 hours ago. After a few minutes of no verbal exchanged, I was about to turn on my heel when Mr. Crosby stopped me. He slowly approached me, "Danni...I, um, I...want to say I'm sorry...for the things I said yesterday. They were uncalled for. I was just looki--"

"I understand. He's your son and you want what's best for him. I can relate."

"Mario had informed me more on your situation. And I felt like a complete idiot. I hope we can start over." I starred at him. For the second time of ever meeting this man, I had seen two different sides of him; a caring father and a kind man. So I did what was needed.

"Danielle Samson. But you can call me Danni." I stuck my hand out to him. Mr. Crosby smiled, taking mine in a tight grip.

"Troy Crosby. You can call me Troy."

"And you've met Madison." I said nodding in the direction she disappeared in.

"She's a nice girl."

"She adores Sidney." I whispered. Mr. Crosby turned to me, "I meant what I said yesterday. She loves Sidney. And so do I."

"I understand Danni. And thank you, you've made my son happy and that's all a father could want."

---

"That has got to be the cutest thing I've ever seen." Vero said sitting beside me. We were a few rows back in the box from where Sidney's family was sitting, Maddi placed lovingly on Mr. Crosby's lap as he pointed to something on the ice. "I'm guessing things are worked out?"

"Yeah."

"That's good...wouldn't want the in-laws to hate you or something." My body tensed as I shot her a look. "What? Oh come on, we all know that Sidney is madly in love with you. And I know for a fact that they guys have told him numerous times to drag you down to the best jewelry store and let you pick out a ring."

"Vero, no. It's way to early for that."

"It is never to early for love." She gushed leaning over me with her hands pressed to her heart.

"What are you, a Disney movie?"

"You've got his parents blessing. I bet he's got your parent's blessing. Maddi loves him. What are you waiting for?"

"We've been dating since December...it's only the beginning of March." I pointed out.

"...And your point?"

"Vero, there is just way too much going on to even be thinking about it. This relationship is still new and right now there's a chance my family will be split apart. I want to concentrate on that and I want Sidney focused on playoffs. The only big question he's allowed to ask me anytime soon is 'Do you wanna hold the Cup?'" Vero laughed.

"Okay, okay I understand. But I'm giving him a year. If he doesn't ask by then I'm picking out a ring and doing it for him. Maybe my wedding will give him an idea."

"How are the wedding plans coming?" I asked slightly changing the subject off me.

"They are coming along. Now it's just the waiting. Hey, I was wondering, do you think Maddi would like to be my flower girl? A cousin of mine was suppose to do it but apparently they had plans made already."

"I'm sure she'll love that." I answered. Vero smiled big. She pulled out her phone from her purse and started messing with it until she handed it to me.

"These are the bridesmaid dresses and the flowergirl's dress will be the same but smaller." I gawked at the beautiful knee-length, gold dresses.

"Vero, those are beautiful."

"I wanted to do it in Penguin colors but black would've made it look like a funeral. So the boys will stick with black and the girls will wear gold. And that reminds me," She went back to her purse, this time searching through it a little longer. She pulled out an envelop with Madison and I's name on it, "I kept forgetting it at home but I remembered it this time. We would love to have you at the wedding."

"Thank you Vero. I'm honored." She waved it off.

"You've become a very close friend and Madison is like a niece to me. We're all family here, that means you two, too." I smiled at Vero.

She was right, we were all a family. And I was grateful that everyone has accepted Maddi and I into their crazy world. We'd been in Pittsburgh for such a short time but instantly all of our lives were intertwined.

I'm a believer in fate. I believe things happen for a reason. I know that can be hard to understand considering what has happened in the past but with the bad things, there have been good. The decision to move here was an upside to the hard work Addie and I did. Meeting Sidney and the team was the good to the bad of loosing Addie. Stephen coming back in our lives is the bad to Sidney and I becoming closer and closer.

Someone up there is watching out for Madison and I. Whether it's God or Addie, I know that with the struggle we've fought, we'll come out of it strong. Things will get better because fate, or someone else, says so.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter. Pretty tense but it all worked out in the end. Hope to get more done before I head back to school in a week.

Keep reading, commenting, and subscribing!! :)

With love, <3