Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

Court is Now in Session

By the end of the month, I was able to take this custody case to court. My lawyer had been digging up dirt on Stephen, hoping to find something that will help us but there wasn't much. I had been at the courthouse an hour early to go over everything with my lawyer, praying we are prepared.

Sidney promised he try and make it but I wouldn't blame him if he couldn't. The press would have a field day if he was caught at this custody case.

"Don't worry about it Danni. We'll beat this." My lawyer comforted. I just nodded, taking a sip of water from my paper cup. I trusted my lawyer, like everyone should. He was able to dig enough into Stephen's past to have something against him but until he get's the chance to question Stephen, things are looking a little weary.

When it came time to sit before the judge, I was shaking. Stephen looked casual, that evil smirk on his face, "Danielle, looking as beautiful as ever." I glared at him and took the seat beside my lawyer.

The session finally began and Stephen's lawyer called me up to the stand for questioning, "Ms. Samson, when did you become Madison's sole guardian?"

"January 2010, after her mother died."

"Was there no other family to step in?"

"Addison's family stopped contacting her when they found she was pregnant. I was the only person willing to step up." I answered, sending a glare at Stephen.

"How long have you known my client?"

"For about six years."

"What was your relationship with my client?"

"He was my friend's boyfriend."

"So you were somewhat close to my client?" Stephen's lawyer was pacing the floor before me.

"No. I barely saw him between classes and work."

"What happened the day Addison told my client she was pregnant?"

"I wasn't there. When I found out, I had just come home from work. Addie was crying in the living room and she told me that Stephen didn't take the news well."

"And what was your reaction?"

"I wasn't surprised."

"Why's that?"

"He never showed much affection for Addie. When I did see him, he was just sitting on our couch drinking. He was constantly out with his friends, leaving Addie home. He was practically living out of our apartment and didn't help pay for the bills. He's irresponsible and he proved it by running away instead of growing up."

"That's quite the accusation, Ms. Samson. So you think you're a better guardian for a child?"

"Objection, your honor!" My lawyer called, standing to his feet.

"Sustained." The judge declared.

"Ms. Samson, why didn't you contact my client when Madison was born?"

"I thought in unnecessary since he didn't care about her being pregnant in the first place."

"Did you know what my client was doing in the time between the pregnancy and the death of Addison?"

"No. Last I heard, he had graduated and moved on."

"So letting the father know that his child was born didn't seem important?"

"Not for him," I answered nodding at Stephen, "If he didn't care before, why care four years later? So I was granted custody of Madison and we moved on with our lives."

"No further questions."

Next, my lawyer stood up and asked me several more questions about how I've been taking care of Madison and how she is happy to be with me, proving that I am a capable guardian. There wasn't much for me to say besides trying to plead my case so I returned to my seat and let Stephen's lawyer take over. He had called his client to the bench and began the questions, "Stephen, what happened when you found out Addison was pregnant?"

"She had sat me down to tell me and at first I was surprised. I wasn't expecting it. I admit that I had not contacted Addie after but that was because I needed to jump on my school work so I could graduate and get a job to support my child."

"What did you do after you graduated?"

"I got a job in Buffalo and jumped on the chance. I needed to make money, and fast."

"And what happened when you found out Addison had died?"

"I was heart broken and upset. I found out when I returned to Rochester but when I got there, I was told the news and that Madison wasn't in town any more."

"What did you do after that?"

"I searched around to find out where she went. I asked friends, I searched online. It took me a year and a half to find out she had moved to Pittsburgh with Danielle."

"What were your reactions on her moving?"

"I was mad that someone would take my child away from me and not even tell me. I'm her father. I have a right to know." If we weren't in a court room I would of left my chair and punched him in the face.

"So you filed for custody of Madison?"

"Yes, I want my daughter in my life. I loved her mother and wouldn't want to betray her by not taking care of our child." I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. Stephen smirked at my uncomfortable state. He knew just how much this was pissing me off. He knew how to get under my skin.

The lawyer ended his questioning and sat back down, allowing my lawyer to take the floor.

"You said you got a job in Buffalo. Doing what?"

"I managed the Hilton Hotel and Resort there."

"And you've been working there since?" Stephen nodded. "Why did you return to Rochester?"

"I was making a deal to come work in a hotel in downtown. While I was there, I thought I'd see Addison and talk to her."

"Who told you Addison had died?"

"A friend that went to the same college. They claimed she died in a car accident. I asked about Madison and they didn't know. I could have easily assumed she died with her mother."

"But when you found out she was alive, what did you plan to do?"

"I guessed she lived with her grandparents but I had no contact for them leaving me empty handed."

"Then how did you find out about her being in Pittsburgh?"

"I stopped by the Tim Horton's Addison and Danielle worked at. The manager said that Danielle moved to Pittsburgh and Madison was with her."

"And you didn't approve of this?"

"Objection!" Stephen's lawyer said.

"Overruled." The judge turned back to the witness stand.

"I didn't know what to think. Danielle and I weren't that close. She was more of an acquaintance than a friend."

"Did you know what my client did for a living before you filed for custody?"

"I knew she was running a Tim Horton's but that was all I knew until I hired an investigator. I wanted to make sure that she was at least taking good care of my daughter."

"And what did your investigator find about my client?"

"That she was dating Sidney Crosby." Gasps and whispers from the crowd and whatever press was there filled the air. The clicks of cameras sounded.

"Well, Sidney Crosby is looked up to by the city of Pittsburgh. Why is it an issue that he is dating my client?"

"You obviously don't understand the lifestyle of a professional hockey player." Stephen commented.

"Then please explain the lifestyle of a professional hockey player."

"Objection. This has no relevance to the case." That son of a bitch needs to keep his mouth closed. I just want to know exactly what Stephen has to say.

"Sustained."

"The I have no further questions, your honor." My lawyer ended his time and sat down beside me.

"If that is all, we shall return tomorrow at 2:00pm. Case dismissed." The judge tapped his gavel and the room began to empty out.

"I'll start working on getting more witnesses and hopefully this will wrap up tomorrow." My lawyer said as we exited the court room.

Before I could turn to leave, I was swamped by press and photographers yelling questions at me, "Ms. Samson, is it true you're dating Sidney Crosby?"

"My client has no comment and will not be answering questions any further." My lawyer helped push me through the crowd and walked me to my car. With a promise to win this tomorrow, I headed home.

Just as I walked through the door, I saw Sidney taking off his jacket and setting his keys on the side table, "You just get home?"

"Yeah...I stopped by the courthouse to see how everything was going." From the tone in his voice he heard what Stephen said before the session ended. Neither one of us were in the mood to discuss it, not with Sidney's game tonight. Right now, the Penguins were in first but the Rangers weren't far behind. A lost could cost them a Division Championship.

"Come Sid! We have to take the pregame nap!" Maddi called from the top of the stairs. Sidney and I headed upstairs; me to change and Sidney to nap. I smiled seeing Sidney laying on his back, arm under his head while Maddi curled up by his side.

Sidney smiled at me as I approached the bed, sitting on his other side, "Sleep well." I mumbled, giving him a kiss and quietly closing the door behind me.

I was working on some inventory for Tim Horton's when my cell phone went off. I was surprised to see the name flashing on the screen and answered, "Hello?"

"Hello Danni. How are you?"

"I'm good Mrs. Crosby. How are you?"

"Oh sweertheart, call me Trina. I was just calling to see how everything's going. Sidney said you were going to court today. How did it go?"

"It went alright. He's fighting a worthless battle. Unless he persuades the judge, he won't win."

"That's good. What happens now?"

"I go back in tomorrow and hope for the best."

"Everything will work out dear," There was some rustling on the other end and Mrs. Crosby seemed to be talking to someone, "Danni, hold on a sec, Troy wants to talk to you."

"Danielle?"

"Hello Troy, how are you?"

"I'm good. I was doing some research and I found something interesting."

"Research on what?"

"Well, Sidney gave me the name of Maddi's father and I found out that while he was in Las Vegas, he was arrested."

"Las Vegas?Arrested? For what?"

"He was accused of attacking a woman. They had no serious proof but he was fined."

"How did you find that? My lawyer didn't even find that!"

"I know some people. I can email the information to you. Maybe it'll help tomorrow."

"Troy, this is amazing. I can't thank you enough."

"Danielle, you do enough for Sidney. It's the least I could do." I repeatedly thanked the man and waited for his email to arrive. I called my lawyer, forwarding the information to him.

"We've got this one in the bag."

By the time Sidney and Maddi woke up for the game, I was in a better mood. Sidney was the first to come down, dressed in his suit and tie. As soon as I saw him, I pressed my lips to his, catching him by surprise.

"Not that I'm complaining, but what was that for?" He asked pulling away.

"Your father is the greatest man on earth." Sidney gave me a blank look, lost in why that influenced a kiss like that. "He dug up some dirt on Stephen. There's no way he's getting custody after this." Sidney's smile grew to match mine as we pre-celebrated the winning of this dreadful case.

---

In court the next day, my lawyer whipped out his new found information with multiple sources to back it up. The shameful look on the judges face was nice but the disbelief on Stephen's took the cake.

Stephen and his lawyer had nothing to sway the judges decision, "I hearby honor Danielle Samson full custody of Madison Johnson. Court dismissed." I hugged my lawyer, wiping away the happiest tears I've ever shed.

As I walked out of the court room, I felt a pair of eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. When I turned, Stephen's eyes faded from their natural color to black as night. I smirked knowing it would cause his face to flush red and it would just piss him off even more.

At home, I found Lauren babysitting Maddi, "Sidney had some Penguins stuff he had to do." Lauren explained. "So what's the verdict? Do you have to go in again?"

"I have full custody of Maddi." Lauren let out a loud cheer and hugged me. Just hearing those words made me tear up again but I didn't care. Maddi and I could finally live a normal life, er, as normal as it could be with Sidney Crosby in your life.

"So I get to stay with you and Sidney?" Maddi asked, hearing Lauren and I's celebration.

"Yes baby girl. You're staying with Sidney and I." I told her. She ran into my arms squeezing me tightly, as I was to her.

"I love you and Sidney." She mumbled into my shoulder.

"And we love you too. We love you so much Madison. Why don't you go and play with Lauren while I make a few phone calls. Maybe we can have a little party later with the team. How's that sound?" Maddi smiled her mother's smile and rushed off to the living room with Lauren in tow.

I made the rounds calling everyone to inform them of the good news; my mom and dad, my brother, Sidney's parents, Vero and some of the other WAG's I kept in touch with. Vero was going to help plan this little party for tonight, "I'll help call some of the boys when their done working."

Knock Knock Knock

"Thanks Vero. I'll call you right back. Someone's at the door."

I peaked through the window to see a familiar figure in a suit standing in front of the door. They were standing too close to the door for me to get a good look at them but everything about them screamed bad news.

"Lauren, can you take Maddi upstairs for a sec. Shut the door too. And here," I handed her my cell phone. She took it besides having that confused look on her face.

Once I heard Maddi's door close, I opened the front door.

"Hello Danielle."

"What are you doing here?" Stephen pushed his way into the house, looking around the area in search of something.

"I'm here for my daughter."

"She doesn't belong to you. You heard the judge."

"Fuck the judge Danni. Where's Maddi?" He hissed taking hard strides towards me. I back away but had hit the wall.

"She's not here."

"I want my daughter Danni. Tell me where she is."

"You'll never get her. Now get out of my house before I--"

"Before you what? Call your boyfriend? He won't be able to do anything."

"I'll call the police." I warned.

"The police won't stop me from taking what is mine. Now tell me where my daughter is." I remained quiet, refusing to give him what he wanted.

Stephen's jaw clenched, his breathing hard as he grabbed the nearest object and threw it across the room, shattering it into pieces.

"You know what happen's when I don't get what I want?"

"You throw things and beat up woman?" A hard sting pained my cheek as Stephen slapped me.

"I take down whatever is in my way. Right now, you're in my way. So if you don't tell me where she is, I'm gonna have to force it out of you." I spit in his face, daring him to make a move.

"Over my dead body."

-------------------------------

Yesterday's win felt good but right now as I had a press conference, I was getting sick of talking about it. All of the guys were here for different reasons; press conference, Pens TV, photo shoots, workouts even.

At the moment, I didn't have last nights game on my mind. I was thinking about the custody case. Danni had told me that my dad found some information to give them a leg in the case and all of us were hoping this would end.

I hadn't had the chance to check my phone sitting up here on this table, with reporters asking me questions about playoffs and expectations.

For the past ten minutes my phone has been going off. Naturally, I leave it alone but after about the fifth time it went off, I pulled it out to see Danni calling me. All of the calls were from her. She knew that I had Pens stuff to take care of, why would she be calling me?

After the fifth time, it stopped ringing. She must of remembered or something and stopped. She probably was trying to talk to me about this case but realized that I'd call her back when I could.

In the back of the room, the double doors flung open as Mario came rushing in, a panic look on his face. He would of been sprinting to the stage had it not been for all the people in the room. When he got to the Public Relations girl, she had a look of horror on her face and took Kris's microphone off it's stand, "I'm sorry everyone. This press conference has come to an end. If you have any questions please wait until we have a respondent for you to ask."

The reporters let out groans and a few curse words as their work came to a random halt.

Mario stepped onto the stage and over to me, leaning in, "Sidney there's been an accident. Come with me." My chair practically flipped over as I followed Mario. The guys didn't miss the scared look on all of the staffs faces and joined me as Mario led us to the parking lot.

"Mario, what's going on?" I asked, frustrated with the lack of details. Jordon, Marc, Geno, and Kris piled into Mario's SUV and waited until he found the right words to say.

"Lauren called. Someone came to the door sometime after Danni got home. Danni sent her and Maddi upstairs. Lauren heard crashes and thuds. She called the police and they're on their way. She tried calling you Sid but she couldn't get you."

I wanted to slam my head into the dashboard. I should of answered my fucking phone! Lauren was trying to call me and I didn't answer! Now something terrible is happening and I should of done something!

Mario was trying as best as he could to make it to Danni's house without getting pulled over but it seemed like every light was turning red. I bounced in my seat, about ready to get out of the car and run to Danni's. I don't even give a fuck about how far it is. I just have to get to her! She could be hurt or Lauren or...or Maddi. Oh dear God! Why is this happening?!

None of us in the car let Mario park it before we jumped out of the vehicle and sprinted into Danni's house. The foyer was torn apart. Furniture broken, pictures fallen to the floor, glass shattered.

It's when I heard the sound of flesh beating flesh from the kitchen, when I saw red. The six of us surrounded the kitchen and found a man on his knees, bent over something. His fist continued to rear back and then make contact with something. Jordan grabbed hold of the man and yanked him onto his feet.

When that son of a bitch's face looked up into mine, I lost it completely. Fist after fist did I send into his face, determined to create a hole into his skull. I didn't even pay attention to what was happening around me. My focus was on Stephen and making sure he never sees the light of day again.

I grabbed the fucker's neck, ramming his head into the nearest cabinet repeatedly until someone was pulling me away from him. That's when I noticed the police had arrived, taking the situation into their own hands. When Stephen was cuffed and dragged out of the house did it finally hit me, "Where's Danni?"

"They're getting her into the ambulance. Marc is with her." Jordan answered, still holding onto me after separating me from busting Stephen's head open.

"And Lauren and Maddi?"

"Kris is up there now. Sid, man, we need to get your hands checked out." I looked down at my blood soaked knuckles, unsure what's mine or Stephens. A paramedic came, dragging me outside to one of the ambulances and began cleaning up my hands, wrapping them up. When they finished, I saw Lauren, tears streaming down her cheeks as she ran to her father. Mario wrapped his arms around his eldest daughter, rubbing her back trying to soothe her.

Kris was next to come down the stairs, a policewoman holding on to a fidgeting five year old, "I want Sidney!" She cried out. I ran over to her, catching her in my arms.

"It's alright baby girl. I'm here. Everything's fine." I cooed as Maddi's tears soaked my shirt.

"Sir, we're going to need to come down to the station." A policeman said.

"I need to get to the hospital. I need to see Danni." The man agreed to take us over there so he could ask us some questions.

Maddi, Kris, and I took a cop car over to the hospital so we could get there faster. At the front desk, the nurse explained what was going on, "Danielle has numerous cuts and fractured bones. She is currently unconscious but is getting stitched up and examined. The doctor will come and get you when he's finished.

In a private waiting room, the police began asking Lauren, Maddi, and I questions.

"Can you explain to me what happened?" The policeman asked Lauren. All of us waited to hear exactly what had went down only minutes ago.

"I was babysitting for Danni while she was in court. A few minutes after she got home, there was a knock on the door," Lauren stopped, choking back a sob, "She sent me and Maddi upstairs and ordered us to shut the door. She had giving me her cellphone too."

"Did you see who was at the door?" She shook her head.

"I just did as I was told and went upstairs. At first we didn't hear anything, but when I heard something break, I knew something was wrong. After that there was more crashes and banging. The man was yelling but I couldn't make out what he was saying over Maddi crying. I called the police and tried calling Sidney. But when he didn't answer, I called my dad and told him what was going on." My heart broke as Lauren told the story. I could imagine Maddi crying upstairs, scared at the sounds and the yelling. I could imagine Danni trying to fight off Stephen but being overpowered for the strength difference. The next image I tried to push out of my head, but it was starting to haunt me.

"Now Sidney, what is your relationship with Danielle?"

"I'm her boyfriend." I answered, my voice clogged with anger and phlegm in the back of my throat.

"And you knew the attacker?"

"I never met him but Danni explained to me who he was."

"What is this case that Danielle was at before she was attacked?"

"Stephen was suing her for custody of Maddi. Something must of gone wrong and Stephen snapped." I assumed that would be the only reason he would. He could of before but I suppose he had no reason then. Something caused this anger.

"I think that's all I have. I'll be back when Danielle wakes up to ask her some questions."

"What's going to happen to Sidney? He's not going to get charged or anything, is he?" Mario asked but the policeman shook his head.

"Initially, he was protecting Danielle. You can't be charged for saving someones life." Then he turned to me, "You're a hero Sid, in more ways than one."

Once he left, the waiting room became silent besides the sobs coming from Maddi and Lauren. Marc had walked away to call Vero, finding out Danni had called her about the case, "And just before she hung up, Danni said someone was at the door. Vero's kinda freaked that she had just talked to Danni seconds before all of that happened." He explained.

"Mario what are we gonna do about the press? They're going to have a field day about it." I asked, running my hands through my hair at just the mere thought of the press.

"We'll worry about that later. Let's just worry about Danni."

It had to be strange seeing most of the Pittsburgh Penguins sitting in the waiting room of the hospital. Nurses and doctors, patients, and guests had to double take when they walked by the room. All of them confused, probably thinking a player was injured, but they're all to afraid to approach.

I don't blame them though. I'm sure I look like a mess, but until the doctor arrived, I will continue to sit here with my head in my hands and just wait.

"Sidney?" Maddi's tiny voice leaned close to my ear. I let out a sigh and sat up to see the five year old. Her eyes were red and puffy, cheeks stained with the tears that have fallen.

"Is Aunt Danni gonna be okay?" I smiled at her, wrapping my arm around her and setting her on my lap. She rested her head against my chest, practically curled up like a ball.

"Aunt Danni will be okay." I whispered to her. I'm not sure if I was initially telling her that or if I was trying to convince myself of that.

"Hello everyone." A man dressed in light blue scrubs and a white coat on greeted as he stood in front of the worried hockey players. "Are...all of you here for Ms. Samson?" Everyone in the room stood and approached the doctor, waiting for him to just give us the news.

"How is she?" Mario asked.

"She suffered quite a beating. There were no signs of sexual assault. She's got a minor concussion, a few fractured ribs and a fractured wrist. She's got stitches on her head and one on her arm from a shard of glass. And besides some bruises, she'll be fine. She actually isn't as bad as I've seen some attacks. She's lucky you came to help her." He explained, nodding to me at the last part.

"Can we go see her?"

"She's sleeping but she should wake up soon." Mario thanked the doctor and walked with him off to the side for a private talk.

All of us headed down to Danni's room, circling her bed. Maddi ran up to her side, taking her Aunt's hand.

Being a hockey player, I've seen my fair share of beatings; bruises of many colors, broken body parts, stitches, sprained wrists or ankles, but seeing Danni lay there in the white bed was hard to look at.

Her cheeks were black and blue, a stitch was right above her black and blue left eye. Her left arm was wrapped in a bandage, blood staining the white cloth. Her neck had hand markings around it.

"Aunt Danni?" Madison patted Danni's hand trying to wake her up. Everyone in the room watched as the little girl attempted to wake up her Aunt. Each guy in the room had a sympathetic look on their faces. Two hundred pound, grown men about ready to break down seeing all of this. Vero and Lauren were the only ones with tears in their eyes. "Aunt Danni, wake up."

"Danni needs to sleep, Maddi." I told her.

"But I want Aunt Danni." She said turning to look at me. Her lower lip quivered as tears fell from her green eyes.

"I know baby girl but Aunt Danni needs her rest so she can get better." I tried to explain.

"How about we go get something to eat, Maddi?" Vero offered. The five year old looked back and forth between her sleeping Aunt and the French Canadian.

"Come on Mads, let's go buy some candy for us and flowers for Aunt Danni." Marc suggested. Maddi seemed to perk up at that and took the goalie's hand. The couple left the room with the five year old leaving Jordan, Geno, Kris and I.

"She'll be alright, Sid. She's strong." Jordan said.

"I should of answered my phone when it first went off. She probably wouldn't of been as bad." I sat down in the chair beside the bed.

"You were in a press conference, Sid. You did what you could do. You saved her, don't forget that." Kris reassured.

"I've talked with the the PR's and they said that they're going to cover this up best they can. Ray says that you can take off all the time you need." Mario explained, coming into the room.

"I can't. I need to play. We've got playoffs and I need to be with the--"

"No. You be with Danni and Maddi. They need you. Come back when ready." Geno interrupted.

"He's right. You need to be there for them. We can handle Winnipeg tonight. Just let us know when she wakes up." Jordan patted my back. The three guys left with Mario still here.

Marc, Vero, and, Maddi all came back with flowers, balloons, and chocolate all over Maddi's mouth. Maddi stood by me and set a teddy bear next to Danni.

"Is she still sleeping?"

"Yeah she is." I answered brushing Maddi's hair out of her face.

"Are we gonna miss the game tonight?" Maddi asked. I took a tissue and began wiping off the chocolate around her lips.

"Why don't you go with us, Maddi? You can help me make Marc's dinner." Vero offered. From the look on her face she knew deep down I wanted to stay here with Danni, but with Maddi here, it wouldn't be easy.

"Are you going to the game Sidney?" She turned to me.

"I'm gonna stay here with Aunt Danni." I told her. The five year old looked conflicted, trying to figure out which way to go.

"Aunt Danni would want me to go to the game." She mumbled, turning to Vero and taking her hand.

"I'll call everyone with an update." I said to Marc who nodded.

"Watch over her like Mama did." The four adults in the room looked at the little girl confused. "Aunt Danni told me that Mama's watching over us because she's an angel. Mama kept Aunt Danni safe."

Madison Johnson was wise beyond her age.
♠ ♠ ♠
Interesting, right? Well there's more to come I promise. I'm working on the other story as well and a friend and I want to write a combined story. Plus school started yesterday so I'm getting back into the swing of things.

I apologize if the court session and the hospital scene wasn't accurate. I've never been in that kind of situation so forgive if they're not realistic.

I promise to update soon. Keep reading, commenting, and subscribing!

With love, <3