Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

Decisions to Make

By the time the Penguins knocked out Jersey and Ottawa, I was back working at Tim Horton's, my life finally going back to normal...well as normal as my life could get.

Since returning home, I had been useless around the house, sitting and letting Sidney do everything. I felt horrible. He had so much on his plate with playoffs, now he had to take care of Maddi and I. When I was permitted to go about my days normally, I did my best to take some of the weight off his shoulders. I went back into the routine of taking Maddi to school and picking her up after, I did chores, cooked meals, and returned to cheering for the Penguins at the games.

It was good to be home.

Work, thankfully, never burned down while I was away. We were gaining more customers as Playoffs brought in the visitors fans and more. I was happy to be working again and providing our customers with the satisfaction built under the Horton name.

"Danni, you've got a phone call in your office." One of my employers said as I finished up an order for a decked out Penguins fan.

"Have a great day." I said to the fan and headed back to my office, "Danni Samson?"

"Ms. Samson, this is Peter Highman. How are you?" Peter Highman was the man that sent me to Pittsburgh, hoping for the expansion of the popular coffee shoppe across the US and Canada.

"I'm good Mr. Highman. And you?"

"I'm fantastic. I'm calling about your work in Pittsburgh." I wasn't sure if he had known about the accident and it made me nervous that I did something wrong, "We have heard nothing but compliments about your business. It was a brilliant idea to open a shoppe in Pittsburgh."

"Thank you Mr. Highman."

"Since business has been successful there under your control, we want you to open a few more."

"A few more? Where?"

"We've been looking at Virginia, Michigan, Minnesota, a few in Wisconsin, Washington, and Vermont. Now, if there was a way to get you to all of them, we'd really love that but we know that's asking too much."

"You want me to move to one of those places?" I asked, sitting in my office chair.

"That was the plan. I know it's short notice, but we want to open them up before next season. The places are there and the equipment is on it's way, we just need someone to run them. This is a big job, Ms. Samson and we couldn't think of anyone else to do this. It'll pay good money, a house will be provided, along with help moving there."

"Mr. Highman..."

"Just think it over Ms. Samson. I understand your responsibility for your goddaughter and we want what's best for you and her. Think it over and give me a call back." Mr. Highman gave me his direct number and I promised to think this decision over.

I leaned against the desk, thinking over this life changing decision. This was defiantly an opportunity for me. The money I'd be making would support Maddi and myself long after Maddi leaves college and that's all I'm concerned about; giving Maddi a future. But is her future in one of those towns or here in Pittsburgh?

I'd be taking her away from her school, her friends, the idea of playing hockey here, the team, the guys who have practically adopted her...and Sidney.

Sidney

There was no doubt that I'd need to talk to Sidney, but there is one thing I need to figure out before I tell anyone about this...what do I want to do?

My shift ended with time to pick Maddi up and drive over to CONSOL to catch the last half hour or so of the boys practice. The whole way there as Maddi told me about her day, I couldn't stop my mind from wondering to Mr. Highman's offer. I had to talk to someone about this. Nathalie? Vero? One of the guys? No, I needed to talk to someone not here, someone that wouldn't be a tie here.

Once Maddi and I were in the arena, we met Vero in the stands a few rows up from the bench, "Hey Vero, can you watch Maddi? I need to make a phone call." The French-Canadian nodded, accepting the bubbly five year olds presence. I went back down the stands to find a secluded hallway I could talk in with no worries of eavesdroppers.

"Danielle, is everything okay? You don't usually call this time of day." My mother pointed out answering the call only a few rings in.

"I know mom, there's something I need to talk to you about. I got a call from Mr. Highman. He works with the Tim Horton's company. He offered--"

"What did he want?" I rolled my eyes.

"He wants me to manage another Tim Horton's."

"In Pittsburgh? You should tell him to let you manage a new one in Rochester, that way you're not so far away."

"No, he gave me a couple options."

"Where is he sending you , Danielle?" My dad asked. My mother has the tendency to put my phone calls on speaker phone. I have no problem when it's just my folks there but when there's other family members or their friends in the house, I would be broadcasting my life to the world.

"Washington, Virginia, Vermont, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota."

"Those aren't anywhere near New York."

"I know mom."

"Well what's the problem?"

"Mom...Maddi and I have a life here. Maddi has friends here and she wants to play hockey here. The guys want to help her and then there's Sidney."

"Babygirl, have you talked to Sidney about this?"

"No, I haven't had the chance. Mr. Highman called, like, an hour ago."

"You need to talk to him about this Danielle."

"I know dad, but this opportunity will be good financially."

"But you just said you didn't want to leave." My dad pointed out.

"I know!" I groaned, running my other hand through my hair, "I don't know what to do! There's good and bad things to this and I don't know what to pick!"

"Danielle, I understand but you need to really think about this. It sounds like Pittsburgh has become home to you, much to your mother's dismay, and Sidney and those guys on the team have become a part of both your lives. Moving to one of those states might be good financially but you're doing pretty good down there. You just need to really think about what's important. And as much as I don't like some guy being the reason for any of your decisions...Sidney seems like a good guy and you really need to talk to him. He might be able to help you." I let out a ragged sigh, leaning my back against the wall

"Thanks dad. Well I need to get going. Maddi and I are waiting for Sidney's practice to end."

"Alright babygirl. I know you'll do the right thing. We love you."

"Love you too."

Hanging up the phone, I twisted it in my hands. This had to be the simplest decision a person could make, but I'm standing here not sure what to do. Does this make me a bad person?

"So what are you going to do?" I stood up straight. Vero walked towards me, her arms crossed.

"You heard all that?"

"Yes, I did. And what are you going to do?" The tone in her voice was a giveaway that she wasn't pleased with what she heard.

"Vero..."

"Look Danni, if I can just say...We love you and Maddi. You two are like family to all of us and we want what's best for the both of you. But if you want my opinion...I think Pittsburgh is where you two belong. And I'm not just saying that because I would be heartbroken if you left, because I would be, but because you being in Pittsburgh was like...destiny. And you and Maddi being a part of this teams life is destiny. You being a part of Sidney's life," She smirked, "I was starting to lose hope he'd never find a girl. But you came along and I don't think I could allow you to leave without fighting for you to stay. We love you Danni. And we hope whatever you do, it's right for you and Maddi." She brought me into a tight hug and pulled away at arms length, "Come on, practice finished." She turned to head to the locker rooms when I stopped her.

"Can we keep this between us?" Vero never keeps things from Marc, but this was one thing I didn't want spread around especially if I haven't even told Sid yet.

Vero nodded, looping her arm with mine and walked to the locker room. Maddi was sitting next to a showered Kris, talking the Frenchman's ear off but he sat there, smiling away as the five year old went on and on about something. Marc and Max were punching at each other, laughing at whatever. Jordan and Geno emerged from showering and changing, and the other guys were chatting like the family they were. Seeing all of this was just going to make my decision even harder.

"There you are." Sidney said, fresh from the shower. He kissed my cheek, a big smile on his face like they just won another playoff game.

"Sorry I had to make a phone call." I told him, accepting his arm around my waist. I noticed Vero's glance at us before her attention turned to pulling her fiance off of Max.

"I am so ready to just sleep the rest of the day away." Sidney slipped on a shirt and packed up his gym bag, a tired smile on his face. I didn't blame him. A nap sounded great right now.

"Aunt Danni!" My goddaughter yelled, her little legs sprinting over to me and crashing into my arms, "Can I go to Jordan's house with Kris?"

"Did Jordan say you could?"

"Yes! He said that I can play with his puppy!"

"And why is Kris going?" I asked, glancing up at the quiet Penguin who had walked over to us.

"I was heading that way anyways." He answered.

"I suppose but it is a school night. You need to be home before 7:00. Plus you have to do your homework." I told her.

"I promise to do it at Jordan's house. Please can I?" Maddi clasped her hands together, sticking her lower lip out with big puppy dog eyes.

"Alright but remember what I said. Homework get's finished and home by 7:00." I ordered looking between the five year old and the twenty-four year old defenseman. Both nodded with big smiles. Maddi kissed my cheek and took Kris' hand as they walked to the parking lot.

"So I guess it's just you and me tonight." Sidney said suggestively, taking my hand and bringing me to my feet.

"I thought you were tired." I pointed out, heading to the exit of CONSOL.

"I think I just got my second wind." He whispered into my ear.

---

Between the time I talked to Mr. Highman and now, he had emailed the details of each coffee shoppe; the home, the car, the store, the pay, the benefits, everything. After the alone time with Sidney and seeing this, I needed a drink.

My beer sat beside the laptop while I cooked chicken for dinner. My mind was racing with the different options of the offer, trying to find something wrong with them, something that would show that those places weren't as good as Pittsburgh.

At one point, I just let my mind go blank. I didn't want to think about the offer or what I had to do tomorrow or the next day or the day after that. I focused my eyes on the sizzling chicken on the stove top, occasionally poking it with the fork.

"Smells good." I felt Sidney's warm chest press against my back, his lips kissing my neck and shoulders.

"I hope you're hungry."

"Starving." He answered, teeth grazing my skin. I felt him pull away but didn't hear him go anywhere, "What's this?" I heard him ask. I glanced over my shoulder, mentally slapping myself for not closing the laptop. Sidney tilted the screen and scrolled through Mr. Highman's email, "Danni...what is this?"

I set the fork down and turned to face him, "I got a call from the people from Tim Horton's. They offered me some management jobs."

"In other states? Don't they know you're doing fine here?" He asked, looking between me and the laptop.

"That's why they offered. They like what I've done here and want to me open a few more." Sidney's eyebrows furrowed, those pink lips falling into a frown and his jaw line tightening.

"So...you're leaving?"

"I haven't agreed to anything." I almost whispered.

"But you are leaving...sometime, right?"

"I don't know Sid."

"You want to leave Pittsburgh?" The tone of his voice made me want to break down. It was like telling a kid their dog died kind of tone of voice.

"No, I don't but these places offer a lot of benefits financially."

"I can do that! I can offer you more than these places!" Sidney said, raising his weary voice.

"...I know Sidney but I don't want you to do that. That's your money and I can't..."

"I want to help. Why won't you let me help you? You were like this during the whole Stephen thing. Just let me help you." He begged. I would've let him do whatever he wanted with the face he was giving me but...I just couldn't.

I looked away from him, turning my back on Sidney. I heard him let out a ragged sigh and the sounds of his footsteps leaving the room. When he came back he was dressed, his car keys in hand.

I turned the stove off, suddenly not hungry and met Sidney by the front door. I crossed my arms over my chest, "I'll call you." He mumbled, fidgeting with his keys. I nodded and grabbed the door when he opened it. Sidney took one step closer to me, kissing my forehead, and left. And I just watched him drive away. Tears fell when his car was out of sight.

I took the longest shower once Sidney left. I was hoping the scolding water would wash away everything but when I got out and changed I felt just as shitty as I did before.

I didn't want to hurt Sidney. I never wanted too. I was hoping for more time until I talked to him but I guess that was too much to ask for. I shouldn't of let him walk out. I should of talked it over with him, figure it out. How could I just let him go like that?

A knock at the door pulled me away from my bed. Part of me was hoping it was Sidney, a second chance of talking this out. But when I saw Kris standing there, cradling a sleeping Maddi against his chest, my shoulders slumped.

"Hey Danni," He whispered, "Sorry it's after 7:00, Heather cooked and then Maddi wanted to put in a movie so we lost track of time." He explained.

"It's fine. You can just lay her on the couch." I told him, wiping my sore eyes.

"Where's Sid? I thought he'd be here."

"He, uh, went home." I answered, fidgeting with the sleeve of one of Sid's sweatshirts.

"Danni, what's wrong?" Kris asked, his eyes searching my puffy, red ones.

"Nothing, just tired. I've had a long day." I said, my eyes looking at everything but Kris.

"...okay, well then I'll see you at the game tomorrow?" I nodded and walked him to the door.

Walking back to his car, Kris waved and smiled sympathetically. I knew he noticed my state of sadness. And I wouldn't be surprised if he talked to Sidney about it the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just when one problem ended, another one started. Sorry about that. And I'm sorry for it being a while. I had half of this typed up and then I wanted more to write and couldn't think of anything. I'l do my best to get the next one out soon.

Thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting!

With love, <3