Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

Game Time

For the next month or so, Sidney would stop by when he could. When he was there, we'd talk about anything and nothing at all. He would ask about my home town and life growing up and I'd ask the same things. I wasn't sure if every hockey player was the same, but Sidney's life was very busy. Between the training and the sponsors, team events to practices/games, this guy never really got a break.

"Are you sure you have time for coffee?"

"There's always a time for coffee." He answered with that same grin.

He told me about his game day routines and how he couldn't stop by those days. I just laughed and told him, "Lunch won't be the same without you." I said taking a sip of my drink.

"Are you going to watch the game tomorrow?"

"Of course. Maddi enjoys watching. Just like her mother." That seemed to have Sidney smiling but at the mention of Madison's mother, it wasn't as big as it usually was when he asked.

"You guys should come to one of the games." Sidney suggested.

I was surprised by his request. I hadn't been to a hockey game since college. Occasionally I'll turn on a Sabre's game but it didn't stay on the television long enough.

"It could be fun. Maddi seems to like the game. I can get both of you tickets."

"Oh Sidney, I don't know. Maddi's only four."

"She'll be fine. I know someone that could help you with Madison. It'll be fun...I promise."

Around 6:30, I parked my car in CONSOL parking lot. "Are you ready?" I asked Madison. She nodded a smile on her face.

On the weekends when I was working, Sidney would sit with Maddi keeping her entertained and the four year old was growing fond of him. She would point if she wanted something which was a step since it too me a while just to get her too moan or groan when she needed something. Whatever Sidney was doing with her, it was helping 100%.

I found Will Call and gave them my name, just like Sidney said. The woman smiled and handed over an envelope.

I was about to turn when they woman said, "Oh wait. Here is this as well." She was holding a small, gold gift bag.

"Thank you." I took it, confusion written on my face. I took Madison's hand and we headed inside the arena. When the arena people told me our seats were right against the glass, I could only imagine how much the seats cost. I shook my head at just the thought.

I felt a tap on my knee and Madison was pointing to the gold bag, "Do you want to see what's in here?" The little girl nodded and I smiled. I pushed aside the black tissue paper and gasped.

Inside was a small Pittsburgh Penguins Jersey, "Look Maddi, Sidney got this for you." I turned the jersey around and of course there was a giant 87 and Crosby embroidered on the back.

"Do you want to put it on?" Maddi nodded, her smile reaching past her ears as I helped her slip on her gift.

"We'll have to tell Sidney thank you." I told Maddi. Just watching the look on Madison's face tells me that no thank you could ever compare to what Sidney has done for this little girl.

The players skated onto the ice for their pre-game warm up. Madison jumped out of her seat and tried looking over the wall and through the glass to watch the players. Every time a player slated by, Maddi's head followed them.

And when finally the number 87 stopped in front of us, his back in our direction, Maddi knocked on the glass. The player beside Sidney turned and smiled nudging his teammate, pointing at the little girl. Sidney turned looking around until his eyes landed on Madison. He smiled at her and waved. When he spotted me, his smile grew. I mouthed 'thank you' and he shrugged and skated off to continue his drills.

The whole time, the other players skated by and waved at Maddi. She would wave back to them, her smile never leaving her face. The players skated back into the locker room to get ready for the game.

Madison looked at me, "They'll be back. I promise." She climbed into the chair next to me, never taking her eyes off the ice.

"Danielle Samson?" I turned and faced a woman about my height, black hair, and an over-sized 29 jersey on.

"Yes?"

"Hi, my name is Vero. I'm a friend of Sidney's. He asked me to come sit with you."

"Oh, okay. It's nice to meet you."

"Is that Maddi?" Vero asked, her French accent in her voice.

"Um, yes. Maddi? This is Vero. She's a friend of Sidney's." Instantly Madison jumped out of her chair and gave Vero a hug. What has gotten into her? She's never like this with strangers.

"So, how do you know Sidney?" I asked Vero who now had Maddi in her lap.

"I date Marc...the goalie."

"Oh. I'm sorry, I don't really follow hockey." She laughed.

"It's alright. Sidney asked me to find you during the game. He was nervous about you two coming." I raised my eyebrow, "He knew you didn't really know hockey and he wanted to make sure you were alright during the game."

I made an 'O' shape with my mouth and turned back to the ice. "So Sidney says that Maddi is your goddaughter?" When I looked back at Vero, she must've seen my confusion, "He's talked a lot about you and Maddi. He was really happy when you said you were coming. Everyone is excited to meet you."

"Everyone?"

"Yeah, we're going to meet them in the locker room after the game. Would you like that Maddi?" Madison smiled brightly and clapped her hands.

I starred at Vero as she played with Maddi, soaking in her words. Was Sidney really happy that we came? Why? I've seen the girls that fall for him and I'm defiantly not one of them. Those girls just wanted his name or his money...or his pants. I had a kid to look after, businesses to run. Sidney Crosby didn't seem like the kind to play a girl but...who knows.