Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

Coaching Practice

Since the last game on Friday, I hadn't seen Sidney all weekend. We did keep in touch though; he'd text me when he could and I wished him good luck before his game Saturday.

Of course Maddi and I watched on TV. She even wore her Crosby jersey as she sat closely to the television. Eventually, the Penguins won 5-3 against, Sidney with only 2 goals this time.

Tell Maddi sorry I only got 2 goals. Sidney text about an hour after his game. I was lying on the couch unable to get up because Maddi was sleeping against me.

I'm sure she'll forgive you but you'll owe her 2 more goals. I replied back.

Haha I think I can do that. Are you working tomorrow?

Nope, got a day off.

Maybe you and Maddi would like to come to practice with me.
I blinked at his text.

He really wants us around. I'm surprised that he wants anything to do with us. All the other guys that hit on me run and hide once they know about Maddi, and they just assume she's my daughter. When I introduced Sidney to Maddi, he had the same look as the other guys. That look like, "oh shit she's married!" or "She has a daughter?" But when I told him that she was my goddaughter everything in his face relaxed.

Madison loves him for some reason. I had never seen her be like that with anyone, and since the accident, she was barely like that with me. But there was something about him that drew her to him.

Sure, what time?

---

At 8:15 the next morning there was a knock at the door, "Maddi, can you get the door?Sidney's here!" I yelled from my bathroom.

I wrapped my hair into a bun and double checked myself in the mirror. I turned the lights off and grabbed my bag.

At the foot of the stairs was Sidney holding Maddi, "You ready?" He asked. I smiled and grabbed my keys from the counter.

"We need to get her car seat out of your car." Sidney said as I locked the front door. I clicked the button to unlock the car and pulled out the car seat, setting it up in Sidney's car.

"Are you ready for some practice?" Sidney asked Maddi once she was strapped in. She smiled and clapped her hands.

"You're not going to get in trouble for this?" I asked him getting into the passenger side.

"No, people always come to our practices. Besides, the guys want to get to know you and Maddi." He gave me a reassuring smile and drove off in the direction of the arena.

Inside the CONSOL Energy Center, it was quiet, obvious we were the first people to arrive.

"Do you always get here an hour before practice?" I asked Sidney as we walked to the locker room. He laughed.

"I need to get dressed. You guys can sit on the bench." I nodded and brought Madison to the bench.

Madison pointed towards the ice, "You want to skate?" She nodded, "I don't have any skates for you. I'm sorry sweetie. Maybe we can get you some." Maddi continued to point to the ice but there was nothing I could do, "I'm sorry Maddi but I don't have any skates."

"You want to go out on the ice?" Sidney asked. He was dressed in his hockey gear, a bucket of pucks in one hand and his stick in the other. And over his shoulder was a pair of skates for kids. Maddi's eyes lit up. Sidney sat her on the bench and tied the skates on her feet.

When he finished he asked, "Ready?" She nodded and slid down onto her feet, wobbling a little bit. I stayed behind Maddi and Sidney held her hands in front of her. Sidney stepped onto the ice and waited as Madison carefully followed him. She almost lost her balance if Sidney hadn't caught her.

I leaned against the wall watching Sidney skate her all over the rink. He taught her how to use her feet to push her forward. He dragged her around in circles and no matter how many times she almost fell, she always had a smile on her face. Watching them have fun on the ice just makes my heart melt. He takes care of her and he's only known us for a month or so. He was very good to her and I couldn't be happier.

"Looks like you've got yourself a future hockey player." I turned and found Max, Kris, Geno, and Marc behind me. They must have just got here, which meant practice was starting soon.

"He couldn't wait to come back here. He really wanted to see you." Max said. All of the guys leaned against the wall with me.

As Maddi skated by on her own, Sidney not far behind her, she waved causing the guys to smile and wave back.

"There's something about that girl that captured his heart." There's something about that boy that captured my heart.

"Are you coming to the game tomorrow?" Marc asked. I nodded.

"Are you coming out with us tomorrow?" Max asked.

"Yeah, I guess so. Sidney found me a babysitter." The guys all laughed.

"He really wanted to spend some time with you." Max added.

"The whole trip, he was trying to figure out what to do." Marc.

"Sidney like you." Geno whispered. The guys laughed and pushed him as if this was a giant secret. I tried my best to cover up my face knowing there'd be a blush on my cheeks.

"Now that the cat is out of the bag..." Max started, waiting for Sidney to skate by completely, "...he practically runs out of practice to see you. It's sad sometimes."

"We were happy you said you'd go to the game the other day. We can't imagine how he'd feel if you said no." Marc added.

"You guys gossip more then teenage girls."

"Dude, she doesn't believe us." Max elbowed Kris who shook his head. "Just wait for it...he'll come around."

Sidney skated over, Maddi joining all of us by the wall, her smile still shining bright, "How'd she do?" I asked.

"She's a natural. Get her a hockey stick and she'll be a pro in no time." Sidney said as Maddi grabbed onto his leg.

"She learns from you, she'll end up kicking your butt."

"I would not doubt that...I'm an excellent teacher." I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Practice is about to start so I need to get going. I'll see both of you after."

Maddi and Sidney stepped off the ice and we walked towards the locker room, "Sid, I didn't realize we recruited a new player." I recognized him as the coach. He got down on his knee,

"Would you like to help with practice today?" Maddi nodded taking Coach's hand and leading her back to the ice.

"You guys are in for it. That girl never goes easy on a workout." I pointed out to Sidney. He gave me a questioning look, "I run, she rides in a stroller. She doesn't like when I stop and take a breather."

"Then sprints will be fun."

"Good luck!" I yelled laughing to myself.

---

Right as the guys were getting on the ice, I took a seat in the stands. All around the glass there were kids watching with amazement as the Penguin players skated in circles around the ice.

A step up, were the teenage girls that were trying very hard to get the attention of the players,

"It's crazy really." To my right was Vero, a Tim Horton's in her hands. She took a seat next to my and handed me one of the cups, "I've spent years watching girls like that faun over the players. They only want one thing from them."

"And if they had them, they wouldn't know what to do with them." I said.

"Amen to that." She clinked her glass with mine. "Is that...is that Maddi?" Vero asked leaning forward in her seat.

"Yeah, the Coach asked if she wanted to help."

"That's so cute."

"Wait for it...she's a slave driver." And so she was. Coach mistakenly gave her a whistle. Vero and I just laughed the whole time. I'm sure Maddi will never be allowed to come to practice again.

By the time Vero and I walked to the locker room to meet the guys, we had tears in our eyes.

"So guys...how was practice?" Vero choked a laugh covering her mouth with her hand.

"You're right...she's a slave driver." Sidney said, sweating literally falling down his face.

"I'm going to hurt tomorrow." Max said waddling by. The little four year old came skipping over to us.

"Hey sweetie, did you enjoy being Coach?" I asked sweeping her in my arms. She smiled and nodded.

"I don't think the guys have ever worked harder." Vero added poking Maddi in her stomach.

"We're going to get change. Be back in a sec." Sidney said and walked through the locker room door.

"We should all go out for lunch." Vero suggested.

"Yeah that's a good idea." I said smiling. Hopefully the guys won't mind Maddi for a few more minutes.