Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

Now or Never

*Sidney*

After that practice all I wanted to do was go home and crash. That will be the last time a four year old leads practice.

"Dude, she's worse then Sidney." I heard Jordan mumble. He got that right. I don't think I'd ever be like that. But Maddi was too adorable for anyone to get mad at.

And as much as I wanted to sleep, I wanted to spend more time with her and Danni...especially Danni. True, for the past month I've met her at Tim Horton's but that's only for 15 minutes or so but mix in game days I've probably only seen her for about a few weeks.

"So Sid...have you asked her yet?" Max asked me from his stall.

"Asked who what?" All the guys let out a groan.

"Have you asked Danni out yet?"

"She's coming to the game tomorrow and maybe out with us after."

"Yes I know that but have you asked her out on a real date yet?" My silence answered my question which caused the guys to throw their nasty ass socks at me.

"What? I haven't had the right time. Besides, she has Maddi too look after. It's not like I can just take her out and leave Maddi home."

"Then who's watching her tomorrow?" Marc asked.

"I was going to ask Nathalie if Lauren wanted to babysit."

"Well, if that goes well ask Lauren again." Max suggested.

"And if that doesn't work out, I'm sure Vero would volunteer." Marc added.

"But we had this problem before. Where am I suppose to take her?"

"Sid...are you afraid of people seeing?" Jordan asked. The room was silent, everyone waiting for me to answer.

I wasn't afraid of being seen with Danni...I'm just...nervous honestly. I mean, if she says yes to go out with me, she would expect it...right? She would know what would happen if she was seen with me. Plus I need to be careful about who I'm with...not that there is anything wrong with Danni, she's...she's perfect. She's professional. She doesn't walk around in high heels and short skirts everywhere. She's nothing like the girls I've come across. She has responsibilities. She has a kid for Christ's sake!

And what about Maddi? I can't bring her into this. The media would have a field day. I can see it now, Crosby's unknown child? Details at 6. But she's such a sweet girl. And from what Danni has hinted, she hasn't been happy in a long time. She deserves a normal childhood.

But could I even give her a normal childhood? I never had one. As much as I loved playing hockey, I never had a normal childhood. I practiced morning and night. I practiced when I was home, at a rink, on the pond, in the streets. I didn't even have a normal life now.

"Sidney?" Kris nudged my shoulder, bringing me out of my trance. "Danni is...something else. You're not going to find another woman like her. And Maddi, she's young and she needs someone like you. You've already had some kind of impact on her. Don't let the media or whoever keep you from being happy." The quiet defenceman patted my shoulder and walked out the door. He was right. It was now or never.

Most of the guys stood in the lounge around Danni, Vero and Maddi, laughing. Kris was holding Maddi on his shoulders. Marc had his arm around Vero and Danni stood there, her back to me. "Anyone hungry?" I asked, my hand resting against the small of her back.

"I know a good place." Max suggested.

Everyone climbed into their appropriate vehicles and we carra-vaned it to a small pizza parlor only 5 minutes from the arena. We set up the small tables into one large one, ordering 4 pizzas and drinks. Danni sat herself right in the middle of all the tables, Maddi to her left and her right, vacant.

As causal as I could make it, I rushed over there and snagged the seat pushing Max one spot over. Kris took the seat next to Maddi, keeping her entertained. Seriously, that guy could woo any female of any age. TK, Marc, Vero, Geno, and Jordan sat across from us.

For most of the meal, everyone fired questions at Danni asking her about her home life and what brought her to Pittsburgh. She graciously answered every question with a smile. She kept us laughing at a lot of her stories, the guys adding a few of their own when the topic came up.

It was amazing how well she seemed to fit in with everyone. She had only met them a few days ago and it was like she'd been a part of the team for years. This had to be a sign. Someone is telling me that this girl sitting to my right had to be in my life somehow, some way. And god only knows what would happen if I missed my chance.

"Danni, she has got to be the most adorable little girl I know." Vero said nodding at Maddi.

The four year old was sitting on Kris' lap, pressing her small hand into the defenceman's large one. Danni smiled.

"Yeah, she's something."

And at that moment, I felt the tension in the air. Everyone wanted to know more about the little girl. I certainly did. How did Danni end up with Maddi? Where are her parents? What happened to her parents? Does she have other family? But just like me, everyone was nervous to ask. It seemed like a sore subject, yet we all wanted to know.

"Danni?" Max started "What happened?"

All eyes focused on Danni as she starred at her goddaughter. When she looked up she gazed into the curious eyes around the table, finally landing on mine. She let out a sigh.

"Her parents died in an accident." From curious to sadness, everyone look at the little girl, oblivious to the conversation. I noticed Kris' head snap up looking over at Danni. It was obvious that Maddi's mother was close to Danni and only Kris could really share that same painful feeling of loosing someone very close to them.

"I'm so sorry Danni." Max said but she just shook her head.

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure all of you were curious. Who wouldn't be?"

"You must have been very close to her mother." Jordan stated.

All of us wanted to smack the back of his head for pushing the topic but Danni gave a small smile as she patted the little girls head, the memory playing in her head.

"We were best friends. Met in college and we just hit it off right away. Both in the same major. We worked together at the Tim Horton's near the school, both of us managing it later on. We were juniors when her mother got pregnant. She named me godmother and I helped take care of her. It was the last year the accident happened and I was the closest thing she had to family. I adopted her and gave her a life her mother would've wanted her to have." Danni spoke very softly.

It was heart wrenching knowing this happened to both of them; Danni losing her best friend and Madison losing her mother. Hearing her story, I couldn't have been so proud of Danni for taking Maddi in. To be thrown into the life of motherhood and guardian so quickly is not the easiest thing, but Danni was strong, and I could see that.

"I think it's time we get going. We've got a big game tomorrow." Marc said earning nods of agreement. The bills were paid and everyone filed out of the parlor to the sidewalk. Everyone said their goodbyes to Danni and Maddi, hugging both of them before they got in their cars and drove home.

I helped get Maddi in her car seat then got in myself. The ride to Danni's was silent. I honestly couldn't find any words to say. What do you say in a situation like this? I felt terrible about it all but I also felt myself continuing to fall for this girl. She sat there and told her tragic tale, never shedding a tear. She was strong and I had so much respect for her. I found myself wanting to do something for her. To take care of her, to tell her that everything is better and things will only go uphill from here but my throat stayed dry and my mouth shut.

Reaching Danni's, Madison had fallen asleep. I don't blame her. I wanted to just fall asleep too. I carried Maddi inside and followed Danni to her room, setting her on her bed. I walked behind Danni as she led me back to downstairs.

"Would you like anything to drink?" She offered heading towards the kitchen. I shook my head no and watched her put away a few dishes that laid dry on the counter.

"I'm sorry." I found myself blurting out. Danni glanced at me but continued her chore.

"It's alright. I'm sure you were curious too."

"I was but I wanted you to tell me."

"I appreciate that. Most people usually ask when I first introduce her as my goddaughter."

That's one of the many questions going through my mind way back ago. It seemed personal and I know I'm not a fan of people bugging me about my personal life. So why do it to others?

"Today was fun. Thank you for everything." she said breaking the silence between us.

"You're welcome. You're both always welcome to practice. We just might have to lay off the coaching a bit." I joked. Danni smiled thankfully.

"You have to admit...it was kind of funny."

"I don't think I've ever worked so hard in my life...and that's saying a lot. Are you still coming to the game tomorrow?"

"I told the guys I was coming. Don't want to upset them." She answered. "So who is babysitting?"

"I asked Lauren Lemieux if she was interested. She's very good and I've babysat her plenty of times."

"That's very nice of you."

"And I was thinking, if maybe you wanted to eat dinner with me and the Lemieux's, you're both welcome. That way you can meet Lauren a little bit."

"You want me to join you for the sacred pregame meal? I feel honored. Are you sure though? I don't want rocks at my windows if your ritual isn't done perfectly." she joked and I laughed.

"I can make an exception besides, the Lemieux's are excited to meet you."

"Yeah, and why is that?" I could see red creep up onto her cheeks. Now's your chance...go for it!

I walked around the small island in the middle of the kitchen, "I don't know...something about 'capturing my heart' was said." I now stood next to her, close enough not to freak her out but enough to feel the heat radiate off her body.

"Capturing your heart, eh?"

"Yes."

"So...did I capture your heart?" She asked barely above a whisper as our bodies stood close enough, centimeters of space a part. My eyes switched between her deep blue eyes and her soft lips. I raised my hand to her cheek as I placed my other one carefully on her waist.

This is it. It's now or never.

I leaned in, never taking my eyes off her lips as she watched me get so closer.

And just before I took that plunge I whispered...

"Yes."