Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

A Night Out

"Why do you keep looking at your watch? Got a big date?" It was obvious to Ashley that I was in a hurry. Ever since I stepped into Tim Horton's the next morning, I glanced at my wrist every few minutes.

Tonight I was going to the Penguins/ Red Wings game. I hadn't been so excited to go someplace as I had today. This time, I was going alone. I was meeting the famous Lemieux's and going out with the team afterward.

How could one not be nervous?

"You do have a big date tonight! " Ashley squealed beside me. I glanced at the teenager and shook my head, "Don't give me that? Is it with Sidney? I bet it is! It has to be! He wouldn't keep coming in here just for coffee."

"Ashley, I am not discussing this with you. I need to head out and pick Maddi up." I told her heading to my office for my bag.

I clocked out and drove to the elementary school for Maddi. Maddi was in Kindergarten and had a full day compared to the Pre-K times. This was defiantly an advantage for me, giving me an early morning to afternoon shift instead of the long day ones I was use to when I worked with Madison's mother.

By the time I reached the house, I had under an hour till Sidney picked us up. "Maddi you need to pick out some pj's just in case you get uncomfortable and put them in your back pack. Do you have any homework?" She nodded "As soon as your done packing, start on it so you won't have to do it at the Lemieux's please." Maddi nodded again and ran to her room. I knew she was excited to see Sidney and meet more of his friends. I wish I felt the same way. Not that I wasn't excited, it's just my nerves were taking over the closer the time came to meeting Sidney's 'foster family' as he called it.

In my room, I changed out of my work attire into some dark jeans and a white T-shirt. I found a pair of heeled boots and slipped them on adding a couple inches to my short form. I took my hair out of it's bun, curls falling down my back. I brushed my hair and clipped it back up. My original make-up held up all day needing no need for touch ups. I searched through my closet for a shirt to change into after the game and picking a black and white off the shoulder top. I tossed it in my purse with my brush and small make-up compact before I headed down stairs.

Maddi was already doing whatever work her teacher gave her at the island in the kitchen. Her backpack on the floor next to her, a pair of Mickey Mouse pajama pants and it's matching shirt stuffed inside. It was a gift from her mother on her last birthday, her favorite pair of pj's.

"Is this all of your work?" I asked her standing over her shoulder as she colored in the letter 'C' in orange. It looked like a little coloring book. The page next to this had line after line of scribbled big B's and little b's.

Madison shook her head and showed me a little note with instructions to finish what she didn't complete in class and continue to the letter D. I looked at the clock above the stove, 2:20. Sidney said he'd be here at 2:30.

"If you don't finish this before Sidney get's here I want you to finish after dinner. No playing till it's over. I'll make sure Lauren knows this before I leave." The young girl nodded and rushed to finish coloring and move on to the next page. I kissed Maddi's head and went to my office to check my email. I moved the mouse bringing the computer back to life.

The first thing I saw was a picture of me, Maddi, and Addie, Madison's mother. It was in the summer. Addie and I had taken Maddi to a carnival. Madison looked so much like her mother; the bright head hair, the freckles on the bridge of their noses, the same smile, same nose, and same dark green eyes. There was no mistaking them for mother and daughter. Addie was a beautiful woman and Madison would certainly grow to look just like her. It was surprising that Maddi didn't look like her father at all...thank God.

I opened my email to find none about work and one from my mother. Since Tim Horton's was doing so well, the corporation found no need to check in with me, which only meant I was doing my job right.

My mother's email was just her complaining about my lack of contact with her and her need to see Maddi and the house soon. Since moving to Pittsburgh, I lost the habit of calling my mother every Tuesday. Work and Maddi kept me busy and I didn't feel like discussing when I'd come home next or if I'd be home for Christmas. I was lucky I could plan for the next day.

As I finished up my reply to my mother, the door bell rang. 2:30, right on the dot. I clicked send and exited out of everything, smiling one last time at the picture before I entered the living room.

Sidney was kneeling down in front of Maddi, helping her into her coat when he looked up and saw me. His gaze moved up from my feet to my face just as mine was doing it to him. I took in his dark suit and light shirt and tie. He certainly was a handsome mad.

He slowly stood up, never breaking eye contact with me, a smile on his face, "Hi." He said.

"Hi." If it wasn't for Maddi patting Sidney's leg, we might have stood there forever hypnotized by each other.

"Ready to go?" Sidney asked Maddi.

"Yes!" She exclaimed happily. I pulled out my black pea coat from the hall closet and buttoned it up. I grabbed my purse with everything important in it and followed behind Sidney and Maddi as he pulled Maddi's car seat out after I unlocked it. He strapped her in and came around to the passenger side door and opened it for me.

"You look great." I smiled and climbed into his car.

The beginning of the drive was quiet, comfortable silence. The radio played some song and I could hear Maddi humming along to it as she bounced her feet.

"How was your day?" Sidney asked.

"Long. But this shift is better than the ones I had back home."

"How long did you work then?"

"Pretty much all day. Maddi's mother and I worked the whole day alternating. When Maddi was born, I took some of her mother's hours but soon split the day so one of us could watch Maddi."

"What happened after the accident?"

"My mother stayed with us until I could figure something out. Usually Maddi would stay at work with me if she didn't have school."

"Where was her father before the accident?" When ever he was mentioned my blood turned cold but I wasn't about to let Sidney know this so I took a deep breathe...

"He worked a lot too, on top of his schooling. When he was home he'd usually be sleeping. I never saw him much."...and I lied.

The conversation ceased and we returned to silence the rest of the ride.

As Sidney pulled up to the beautiful house, I felt my mouth drop at the sight. To live in a home like this had to be marvelous. Sidney parked and helped get Maddi out of her car seat. I slowly stepped out of the car as I continued my gazing of this mansion, "This is beautiful." I said. Sidney came to my side, Maddi in hand, and smiled. I followed him to the door which he causal walked through, no knock necessary.

"Nathalie!" Sidney called out. From the left a woman's voice replied, "In here!" If Sidney didn't put his hand on the small of my back I would've stood there in the foyer all day.

In the kitchen, an older woman was bustling every which way checking the oven, stirring pots on the stove, chopping vegetables, "Hello Nathalie." Sidney said. The blonde haired woman looked up from her work and smiled, "Well hello there."

"Nathalie, this is Danni Samson and her goddaughter Madison." Nathalie wiped her hands on a kitchen towel and walked over to us, embracing me in a hug.

"It's nice to finally meet the famous Danni. We've heard so much about you." Nathalie looked down at the young girl who was now wrapped around my leg, "You're a very pretty girl Madison. My name is Nathalie." Nathalie offered Maddi her hand but she didn't budge.

"Can you say hi Maddi? She's a friend of Sidney's." And just like every other time, Maddi hugs Nathalie. Something about those words makes that girl open up.

"Would you like to help me cook?" Nathalie asked Maddi. She nodded and smiled, taking Nathalie's hand as they went back by the stove. The older woman began talking to Maddi, giving her instructions on how to do something.

"Let's go find Mario." Sidney whispered to me. Sidney took my hand and led me down the hall and to a opened door.

"Hey Mario." Sidney said walking right into the room where a man of good size sat behind a large desk, reading some papers. Mario looked up and smiled, putting his papers down and walking over to us, "Hello, I'm Mario Lemieux. You must be Danni."

"It's a pleasure to meet you." I said shaking his extended hand.

"As to you. We've heard quite a bit about you. Where is Maddi?"

"She's in the kitchen helping Nat." Sidney answered.

"I see. Well, welcome to our home. Would you like a drink? I know Sidney doesn't drink before a game but no one said you didn't have to either." I smiled and nodded. He brought Sidney and I into a very large dining room and cracked open a bottle of wine, handing me a glass. Mario took a seat at the head of the table as Sidney and I took the two places to his right, "So, what is it you do Danni?" Mario asked as he sipped his wine. If he knew so much about me, wouldn't he already know this?

"I run the Tim Horton's downtown."

"Ah yes, a blessing from God. Whoever thought of that idea is one smart man."

"Thank you, it was actually a friend of mine's idea. I just went along for the ride."

"It was you? Well Sidney, a smart girl like her is defiantly a keeper." I glanced over at Sidney and saw a faint blush creep on his face. "Now what did you do before coming to Pittsburgh?" Mario added.

"I ran numerous Tim Horton's in New York."

"Interesting. How did you and your friend know to put a Tim Horton's in Pittsburgh?"

"My friend is a huge hockey fan. Somehow she knew that one was needed in Pittsburgh and being a big hockey city, it only made sense."

"Where is your friend?"

"Um, she passed away last year."

"Oh, I'm very sorry." I gave him a reassuring smile that I was alright when Nathalie and Maddi joined us in the room, "Dinner is ready!"

"And this charming young lady must be Madison." Mario asked setting his glass down and looking at Maddi.

"Yeah, she's Danni's goddaughter." Sidney answered for me.

From the look on Mario's face, he had more questions for me but the sound of footsteps coming into the room interrupted, "Dinner's ready?" A teenager, no more than 18 came and sat at the table beside her father. There was no mistaking her for anyone else's child.

"Lauren, we'd like you to meet Danni and Madison. They are friends of Sidney." Mario introduced.

"Oh yes! I forgot about tonight. It's a pleasure to meet you." She said with a genuine smile, just like her father. Three other children added to the room. They were introduced as Stephanie, Austin, and Alexa.

The Lemieux's were a quaint family. Their dinner conversations were filled with asking about each other's days and what they had planned for the rest of the night. Maddi and I sat quietly listening in on the talking between the family, only speaking when spoken too.

After dinner I lent Nathalie a hand in the kitchen, cleaning up and washing dishes, "Madison is a wonderful little girl. How long have you had her?"

"A year."

"Well you've done a wonderful job raising her. She's very polite, but very quiet."

"Yeah, she's been like that since the accident but once Sidney came into her life, she's opened up a little every day."

"Now if you don't mind me asking...what happened to her parents?"

"They were in a car accident. Died instantly."

"I'm very sorry dear. If you and Maddi ever need anything, just ask." She gave my shoulder a squeeze and continued putting the pans away.

"Danni?" I heard Sidney say from the doorway, "We need to get going." I nodded and folded the towel I was using. I went to the living room and called Maddi over to me.

"Remember to finish your homework or no game. Be good for Lauren. I don't want to get a phone call." Maddi nodded and hugged me. I placed a kiss on her head, "Now say good luck to Sidney." Sidney opened his arms as she ran to him, "Good luck." She mumbled and kissed his cheek.

"Everything will be alright. I'll make sure she does her work. Dad gives us the same rules." Lauren said joining me.

"Here's my number if you need me. She has something to change into if she gets uncomfortable." I handed her a small piece of paper with my number and she smiled. The Lemieux family said good bye to Sidney and their parents before we left and drove over to CONSOL.

Arriving at the arena I was expecting flocks of people waiting by the door for the hockey stars to walk by but surprised when there was no one. I looked at my phone and realized it was much too early for any of that.

I stayed with Mario and Nathalie as Sidney did his routine walk around. We waited in the players lounge were a few of the other families were sitting.

"Danni!" Vero called out spotting me behind the Lemieux's, "Are you excited? This will be an intense game." Vero said taking my arm and walking me around like we were on a tour. "I see you met the Lemieux's. Must be serious. Sidney doesn't usually jump to inviting girlfriends to their house."

"Oh, Sidney and I aren't..."

"Oh...I thought, from the sounds of it, you two were a couple."

"Why would you think that?" I looked at her, my eyebrow raised.

"Well Marc said what happened yesterday...that you and Sidney..."

"Kissed?" She nodded and I shook my head laughing, "Vero, it was just a kiss. Not a big deal."

"I don't know Danni. Sidney isn't like most guys. Not just because of his name but because he doesn't treat girls like how some of the guys do. Sidney...in my opinion, Sidney's afraid to get too close to anyone, afraid of what might happen if he does. It's obvious he sees something in you that is keeping him from worrying about whatever it is he's usual worried about." I suppose I could understand why he would be worried; being used, exploited. If I were in his shoes, I'd have similar feelings. But in my shoes, guys repel from me. Jumping to conclusions about my situation, wanting no responsibility.

The last thing I want to do is make things worse for Sidney. Just news that he has a girlfriend get's blown out of proportion. But a girlfriend with a child? I don't understand why he'd want to take on that pressure. Sidney's a private guy. If word got out that he was seeing me and a child was in the picture, his life wouldn't be private for very long.

Vero and I finished our walk stopping by the locker room before heading to our seats. The guys were about to go out for the pregame skate. They gathered in groups getting psyched for the battle ahead. Vero had run off to wish Marc good luck and left me standing there like an idiot. I figured I'd just go to my seat but someone called my name. When I turned, Sidney was wobbling his way to me dressed in his gear, "Hi." He said.

"Good luck tonight. Kick their asses." He smiled, it reaching his ears. "Remember Maddi's hoping for a goal." I reminded him.

"I'll score two tonight. One for her and one for you." I looked down at my shoes forcing the heat in my cheeks to go away.

"Sid!" He both looked behind him and saw one of his teammates wave him over.

"Good luck Sid." I whispered. He leaned down and placed a kiss on my lips. When he pulled away, he had the look on his face as if he could conquer the world. I stood there and watch him join his team before he ran off for the ice. I bit my lip, holding back that girlish squeal that was building in my chest.

"Danni, you ready?" Vero ran as fast as she could in heels, grabbing my hand, and we raced to our seats.

----

If my teammates weren't piled around me, I could have taken off. I just wanted to get out of this locker room and find Danni. I played my hardest today, earning another hat trick. This girl was my lucky charm or something. Since I met her, my playing as got ten times better...and everyone knew it.

"Mr. Crosby, you've just added another hat trick to your points, boosting you in the lead for most points. Your team is in a twenty game winning streak and rising in the standings for your conference, all before the new year. What's going on through your mind?" The reporter asked. I gave them some form of an answer. I'm sure when I watch it later, I made no sense but I don't care. I was able to send them to another player, giving me the chance to shower at lightening speed. I dried off and put my suit back on, tossed my bag over my shoulder and practically ran out of the locker room.

In the lounge, numerous people congratulated me on a job well done. I mumbled a 'thanks' until I spotted her. She was standing with Vero laughing at whatever was said. I noticed she was wearing a different shirt than when I saw her earlier. She traded her plain T for a top that showed off her shoulders. The white color bright against her tan skin.

When I approached the two, she smiled at me, "Hey Sid! Great game! Pick up any hats?" Vero asked when she noticed my presence. I opened my bag and pulled out a Penguins baseball cap, "Picked one up for Maddi. Think she'll like it?" I asked, my eyes on Danni.

"She'll love it." She said. I wrapped an arm around her waist, pressing her to my side. God did I want to kiss her....That's it...fuck 'em....I'm kissing her...

"Who's ready to party?" Max yelled, the locker room door banging against the wall causing Danni to jump. Everyone began to head towards the exit. Those with a significant other slung their arm on the others shoulder, those riding solo led the pack ready to search for a date.

Danni and I were bringing up the rear, content in each other's company when Mario and Nathalie came to our side, "You two have fun now."

"We promise not to be too late." I told him knowing Danni didn't want to burden them with Maddi.

"Don't worry about it." Mario said patting my shoulder. When we approached the door, I took hold of Danni's hand and kept her close to me bracing us for whatever was behind door number one. And just like that cameras went off, questions yelled, merchandise waved around. I bypassed everyone and let Danni in the car and quickly jumping in right after, "Sorry about that." She smiled and squeezed me hand.

Walking into the bar was similar to leaving the arena. Thankfully, the bouncers kept anyone from coming after us. "Do you want a drink?" I asked practically yelling at her over the music.

"A beer please." I nodded and ordered our drinks putting it on my tab.

Once in the VIP section, Danni and I sat with Marc, Vero, Kris, and Geno at a booth, "Danni have fun at game?" Geno asked.

"I did. And congrats on the assist." She said, Geno smiled like he just made his mother proud.

"Danni lucky charm. Come to every game." Psh...like I hadn't thought of that before.

"I'd love to Geno but Coach Maddi would have to tag along."

"On second thought, Danni just go to home games." Marc, Kris, and I raised our drinks.

"Amen."

"How is Coach Maddi?" Vero asked sipping her girly, fruity drink as Danni took a swig of her beer.

"Good, hopefully she's staying out of trouble."

"Please, Maddi's an angel."

"I just hope she did her homework. I had to give her the same talk I gave her mother."

"What was that?" Marc questioned.

"Finish your homework or no game." And everyone laughed.

Conversation flowed at our table going from topic to topic as if we were hanging at someones place and not at a club. Danni fit right into the group compared to some of the girls that come along. She listened to everyone's stories, throwing in a few of her own. She never excluded herself from the conversation. She wasn't just hanging on me like hockey gear and she wasn't flirting with all the guys. It was as if she'd been part of the group for years. No girl was ever like that with any of the guys. And I was not about to let anyone get in the way. So I kept my arm wrapped around the back of Danni's spot, fending off any girl who knew I was here and any guy that thought they had a chance at Danni.

"Danni, you must dance with me!" Max proclaimed, taking Danni's hand in his, "If you don't I will be heart broken."

"I'm not much of a dancer Max." She admitted.

"A gorgeous woman like you should not sit around. I know Sidney will not dance with you and I've taken it as my responsibility to do so." He tugged on her arm, bringing her to her feet and dragging her to the dance floor.

"Did you see that?" Marc nodded his head in the same direction I was starring at.

"See what?" Geno asked.

"Does she have a tattoo?" Marc turned to me. I just shrugged. Every time I was with Danni, I never noticed if she had a tattoo. This one must have been placed where it could stay hidden.

"Are you going to go after her?" Vero asked slapping my arm.

Oh I wanted too. I wanted to wrap my arms around her when Max asked her to dance. I'm not much of a dancer and to be around that many people would only bring unwanted attention. I was content to just sit and talk with my friends with Danni. Now that she was gone...I needed more liquid courage before I made my way to the dance floor.

---

"Max, seriously. I'm not much of a dancer."

"That's alright. My plan was just to get him jealous enough to bring his huge ass out here and dance with you. If he's not here by the end of the song, you're free to be on your own." Max informed me. I smiled and let him rest his hands on my waist as we danced to the techno remix.

It's been a while since I let loose and had fun. Since getting a job my sophomore year, I had no time to go out and party. So I relaxed in Max's arms and just had fun.

When the song ended, Sidney never showed up. Max and I parted, me to the bar and he to a tall blonde. I ordered another beer and carried it up to the VIP section. The table I had been at only had Geno, Kris, and some girls I didn't know. I looked around the room but dubbed it impossible to find Sidney at my short height. I slid my way over to the railing that over looked the dance floor. From here, I could spot some of the players grinding against various women. I noticed how some of the woman tried to get as close as they could to the guys as they could, some failing, others gaining the attention of the players.

"I like your tattoo." I heard someone whisper in my ear. To my right, Sidney leaned against the railing like I was.

"Thanks."

"What is it?"

"A lily with wings. For my friend."

"Quite a dedication."

"A bunch of us got it for her." I told him.

"Did you have fun dancing with Max." I shrugged, "Would you like to dance?"

"Max told me you weren't much of a dancer."

"Well neither are you so we can look ridiculous together."

By the end of the night, I was ready to get our of these fucking shoes! Ever since Sidney asked me to dance that first time, that's all we did, even if it was just swaying back and forth. But once I overlooked my sore feet, I smiled at how much fun I had with him. I couldn't remember a time I had as much fun as tonight. And as much as I was ready to fall asleep in Sidney's car, I didn't want the night to end.

Arriving at the Lemieux's, all of the lights, except the family room, was off. Sidney and I carefully walked in, afraid to wake the household. We tip toed into the family room and found Lauren stroking Maddi's sleeping head as she watched TV. When she noticed us walking in, she put his finger to her lips. Sidney went around and picked Maddi up in his arms, the young girl gripping onto Sidney.

"How was she?" I asked Lauren.

"Perfect. She did her work and cheered through the whole game. She passed out not long after the game ended." Lauren whispered. I pulled out my wallet and gave her the money for babysitting. She wasn't going to take it at first, but I insisted.

At my house, I let Sidney in and led him to Maddi's room. Already in her Mickey pj's, I tucked her in and kissed her head. Sidney waited in the hallway as I shut her door quietly.

"I had a great time tonight. Thanks for inviting me." I said to him as we stood in the main entry way.

"My pleasure. I'm glad you could come." Sidney cupped my cheek, his thumb brushing it. I looked up into his hazel eyes. The light from the hall, gave them gold specks making his eyes more mesmerizing then usual. Sidney bent his head giving me a gently peck, but the feeling of those soft lips made me want more. I stood on my toes pushing my lips against his. The hand on my cheek moved the the back of my head and the other around my waist, keeping me from going anywhere. I wrapped my arms around his neck hoping I could get closer to him than I already was, but no air would pass between us. I felt his tongue graze my lower lip, looking for an entrance.

I had known this guy for maybe over a month and I was putty in his hands. No man ever made me feel the way Sidney did. Most would begin to claw at my clothes but Sidney kept his hands on my hips, maybe rubbing them up my waist and back down again. His actions might have read gentleman but his kiss was nothing less than passionate.

I had to pull away for air or Sidney would have needed to preform CPR, which wouldn't help the problem. Sidney rested his forehead against mine, his breathe on my lips.

"I should get going." NO!! my body screamed.

"Alright." was what I said.

"I'll stop by tomorrow."

"Just come here. I'm out early tomorrow." I said. Thank god for Kindergarten.

"Okay. Good night Danni."

"Sweet dreams Sidney." Because I most certainly will. He left me with one last kiss for the night.

How many hours till 2:30?
♠ ♠ ♠
Well there's another chapter. Thank you for those that wanted more. I'm sorry I've neglected this story. I've just been so wrapped up in my other one that I couldn't think of anything for this one. I hope this was alright. Comments/feedback are welcome.

Thanks for reading!