Sequel: My Own Glory
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Just One Cup

From the Beginning

The day after the game against the Red Wings, I was quick to pick Maddi up and bring her home. I changed out of my work clothes and into just a pair of jeans and a T-shirt.

Maddi was set up at the island in the kitchen doing homework while I stirred a brownie batter for after dinner.

"Can I have a calculator?" Maddi asked.

"A calculator? For what?"

"I can't figure out how much 8 plus 7 is."

"I'm not giving you a calculator for your math homework." I said with a chuckle.

"But this is hard!" She dragged out. I just shook my head.

As I poured the batter into a pan, the door bell rang. "I got it!" Maddi jumped from her seat and ran to the door, "Sidney!"

"Hey Maddi!" He greeted. When they came into the kitchen, Sidney was carrying Maddi upside down. He flipped her back round and into her chair, "Sidney, do you have a calculator?"

"Don't let her fool you. She's doing her math homework." I warned him. He took the seat next to her and looked down at her homework.

"It's too hard! I can't do this is in my head." Maddi told him. Sid just chuckled.

"Alright, what question are you on?" Maddi pointed at the question and I noticed Sidney smile, "Start from eight and count up by seven." Maddi nodded, "8...9...10," As she counted, Sidney held up a finger so she could keep track, "13...14...15. 8 plus 7 is 15."

"Very good!" Sidney said. I watched as Sidney continued to help her with her homework while I got some little chores finished.

"Danni, I finished my homework. Can I watch TV now?" Maddi asked when I came back into the kitchen. I nodded and she jumped from her seat and ran to the living room. The sounds of the Disney Channel played in the background.

I was putting away Maddi's books when Sidney's arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me against his chest, "Hi." He said and leaned in giving me a kiss.

"How was practice?"

"I'm tired. I could fall asleep right now." Sid laid his head on my shoulder.

"Then go lay down. I'll have dinner started soon."

"I was thinking...maybe you would like to go out...with me...on a date."

"You want to go out tonight?"

"Yeah, we could get Lauren to watch Maddi. Come on Danni, it'll be nice. You won't have to cook, Maddi will be taken care of for the night. And I want to take you out, not at a club."

A night out with Sidney? Just the two of us....god that sounds great! We've been seeing each other for a while now and I won't lie, I'm not sure what we really are. Maybe this dinner would be nice, "Sure, we can go out." Sidney smiled and tightened his grip around me.

"I was thinking I could pick you up around 6. I can bring Lauren here and she can watch Maddi."

"You've already thought this all out didn't you?" I said laughing at him. He smiled proudly.

"Only the best for you."

"Then I guess I should get some dinner ready so Maddi can eat later." I gave Sidney a kiss and went to start dinner for Maddi.

---

She said yes! I don't know what I'd do if she said no. We've had so much time together and I finally want to make something of it. The guys have been bugging me about finally making it official.

"Sid, you really like this chick. Do something about it or it's gonna be too late." They'd say. I had to do this before our next road trip. We'd be gone a week and a half and I didn't want to leave and not know if we're official or not.

But before I did anything, I had to make sure everyone was on board. So I got up and went to the living room. Maddi was sitting on the couch with her knees pulled to her chest, "Hey Maddi, can I talk to you?" She looked away from her show and smiled up at me. I sat down beside her, "Maddi, what would you say if I asked Danni out to dinner?"

"Like...on a date?" She asked so innocently.

"Um, yeah, like a date." She sat there and looked away, her head cocked to the side like she was really thinking about it.

"Do you like Aunt Danni?"

"Yeah I like Aunt Danni."

"Like a lot?" I grinned at the four year old.

"Yeah I think so." Maddi leaned in, gesturing for me to do the same like this was some secret.

"I think Aunt Danni likes you too...a lot." I had to hold my tongue and try not to let out a laugh.

"So is it alright if I took her out?" She nodded."

You make Aunt Danni happy. She hasn't been happy in a long time." This girl could not have been four...she's too smart for her age. I put my arm around her as she did the same.

This girl was special. She had experienced heart break at a young age. Her parents gone and Danni was all she had. It's probably strange that I'd have to get the blessing from a four year old but the last thing I wanted to do was to walk into her life not knowing if something would happen. She was a part of Danni's life and if Maddi didn't like me I couldn't be with Danni.

"What are you two doing in here?" Danni asked when she came into the room seeing us in an embrace. Danni took the spot on the other side of Maddi and we sat there together and it was as if it was meant to be like this.

I had everything I could want; a great family, the career of my dreams, the Stanley Cup, a gold medal. But looking back on all that, right now felt like I had everything I could need.

---

Sidney stayed for only a little bit longer. I was able to finish the dinner for Maddi and store it in the fridge. I left Maddi sitting in front of the TV to go take a shower. With all the time that I had, I got cleaned at a relaxing pace. Usually when I took showers, I had to rush because of work.

When I finished, I put on a robe and opened the bathroom door. From across the room, I saw a small body standing in my closet looking through my clothes, "Maddi, what are you doing?"

"I want to help you get ready for your date."

"How did you know I'm going on a date?"

"Sidney asked me if it was okay." I blinked at her response. He asked her? Why would he do that? "He said he really likes you." I cracked a grin. This girl ceases to amaze me.

"Okay, then why don't you pick out something for me to wear and I'll do my hair?" I turned back to the bathroom.

"You should wear it down." She called after me. "You never wear it down."

Just like her mother. Addie would always tell me to wear my hair down in its natural curls, but because of the length, it got in the way often. Try fixing a coffee machine with hair past your mid-back. What could one night do? So I brushed it out and let the curls form on their own, a blessing Addie would call them.

"Danni, you have no idea how jealous I am of your hair. If I ever go bald, I'm cutting your hair and making it a wing." She said to me once.

Maddi's hair was pin straight and thin...like her mothers. Addie despised her flaming red hair. I'm not sure if it was the style or the color but she hated it. And when Maddi was born with blonde hair, Addie cursed her genes. "It makes you unique." I constantly reminded her. Her personality was like no other, so why not her looks as well?

I brushed my teeth and rubbed lotion on my arms and legs. By then, Maddi had pulled out three dresses and two pairs of shoes and laid them on the bed, "So which one is it?" I asked sitting down opposite of the dresses.

The first one was a rich purple dress. It rests just above the knee with a stright skirt. The top was satin and came around to the back, two straps holding it together. I had worn it at Addie's 21st birthday party.

The second was a white top and gray bottom mini. I had worn it to my cousins wedding. It would hug my figure tightly. I do remember for most of that night, I had to keep pulling it up since it was strapless.

The last dress was an emerald green halter dress. Gold lined the halter and around the dress just under the bust. It was a flowy skirt to the knees. The last time I wore this dress was when Addie and I celebrated the successful business at our first Tim Horton's.

"I like this one." Maddi said pointing to the green one. "You'd look like Tinker Bell, just no wings." I laughed.

"Then I'll wear this one." I went back to the bathroom and changed into the dress. I put on my make-up now that I knew what dress I was going to wear. Maddi came in soon after with a pair of gold heels. She watched me pull the sides of my hair back with a gold pin. Maddi handed me my shoes and I slipped them on. I put on some simple jewelry and double checked myself in the mirror, "You look really pretty." Maddi said standing next to me.

"You think Sidney will like it?" She nodded her head, "Mama would've liked Sidney." I felt my heart stop just for a moment at the thought. What would life be like if Addie was here? If both of us were here in Pittsburgh. She would have tormented the guys on the team, being the Saber's fan that she is, but they would've loved her. Her quirky personality would have rivaled theirs. We all would've been happier.

As I stood here in front of the mirror with Maddi, I felt tears welt up. All these questions popped into my head. Questions I'd never get answers for. I tried to be strong for Maddi, tried not to cry in front of her but as I stood beside her, I was looking into Addie's eyes. I know she's here with me but I can't help but wish she was really here with me.

The doorbell brought me out of my trance. While Maddi skipped down the stairs, I wiped away the tears before they could escape. I grabbed a golden clutch purse and put my phone, wallet, and any other necessity in there before I walked downstairs.

Sidney was dressed just like he does for a game. His handsome build was complimented by his suit. And the closer I got, I could smell whatever entrancing cologne he was wearing.

Sidney's back was too me as he talked to Maddi on one knee. It was when Lauren let out a low whistle that he looked up and over his shoulder. His gaze started at my feet and he took forever just to bring it up. I know my whole face was turning red just from his stare.

"I told you she looks pretty." Maddi said nudging Sidney from his trance.

He stood up and came over to me, "She was right, you do look beautiful."

"Alright you two, you should head out. Don't want to be late for dinner." Lauren said.

"I cooked some dinner for you and Maddi if you want it. You can just throw it in the microwave. There's brownies too. You have my number and all that..."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now get! I've got everything covered." She said and both her and Maddi pushed us towards the front door. I got my coat out of the closet, Sidney helping me into it.

As we got into Sid's car, Lauren and Maddi stood in the front door and waved us good-bye, "So Maddi helped you get ready?" Sidney teased.

"So Lauren helped you get ready?" I teased back. Sidney just smiled and back out of the drive way.

---

"You've got to be kidding me?"

"I swear to god it's a true story. I couldn't make that up."

"You're team is extremely weird. You're all just a bunch of children." I laughed as I thought Sidney's story over again.

"They're good guys though, pranks and all."

"They are. Maddi loves them. She looks forward to seeing them."

"Tell me about Maddi." Sidney said sipping his glass of wine.

This moment was the first time things got serious. Since entering the car back at my house, Sidney and I laughed at our outrageous stories of family and friends.

"What do you want to know?" Our meal had long been over with. But we couldn't just bring ourselves to leave, forcing the night to end quicker then we wanted.

"Everything...from the beginning." I looked away, down at my hands holding my own glass. I had shared stories of my childhood, of my life back home but never had he once asked me about life with Maddi.

I expected it. It's hard not to wonder. If I even thought about this thing between us was to go far, he'd have to know sooner or later. He's been patient. The least I could so is let it out. I breathed a sigh.

"Addie got pregnant the spring of our sophomore year. That summer we got an apartment. We felt so free and alive. We had our own place. When she told me that year, I kinda panicked. We'd only been working since the end of our freshman year and the money was going to the apartment. Now we had to provide for a baby while we were both still in school. I didn't know how we'd make it work.

"When we told my parents, they did everything they could to help. The brought us baby supplies, old stuff that they picked up from friends. They were happy to help."

"What about Addie's parents?" I rolled my eyes.

"They...weren't as supportive. Addie was an only child. Her parents sought to make her the perfect child; Straight A's, managed accounts, good college, honorable morals. Well, a perfect child wouldn't have gotten pregnant without being married first. They basically disowned her. They stopped any communication with her. No one in her family contacted her. My family pretty much adopted her. And we had only meet freshman year.

"We continued life normally up until Maddi was born December 24th. She was a gift from God," I let out a laugh, "I remember that day like it was yesterday. Addie and I decided to stay at the apartment for Christmas, much to my mother's disapproval, but we wanted to start our own traditions. We were just sitting there watching an old Christmas movie when she just blurts out casually that her water broke," Sidney chuckled, "I'm glad at least she was calm about it. I looked like a chicken with its head cut off. When I drove her to the hospital, she called my parents giving them the news just as calmly as she gave it to me. But that was Addie, no matter the situation, she kept her head on her shoulders. That's why me made a great team.

"That night was the longest of my life. Between the cursing and the squeezing of my hand, I was ready to collapse. But through all of it, the world felt like a better place. Madison was born and our lives changed completely. My parents stayed with us until we figured out a work schedule so one of us was home with Maddi. Things worked together. Everything was perfect."

Throughout my whole story, Sidney kept his eyes on me. He looked like his coach was just telling him the most important play in the world. He soaked in every word.

"Where was Maddi's father through all of this?"

"He worked a lot. He was older so as soon as he graduated, he was working 24/7."

"You don't talk much about him." Sidney pointed out. I shrugged.

"Like I said, he wasn't there much." Sensing my uneasiness, Sidney took my hand and squeezed it. Looking into his eyes, I saw sympathy, compassion, care. He was the polar opposite of guys that I went out with since taking in Maddi. This caused me to smirk.

"What?" Sid asked.

"Nothing." I brushed him off.

"No, no...it's something. Come on, tell me."

"It's just...you're really the first guy that's taken any...interest in my hectic life. Most run off as soon as they hear about Maddi."

"Well I'm not like most guys."

"You don't need to tell me that." I said with a grin.

"Danni I really care about you...and Maddi. I don't know what it is but you're different from the girls I've gone out with. I respect you Danni. What you've gone through was huge. You've done a great thing."

"We should probably get going. It's late." Sidney nodded and helped me into my coat.

I'd be a fool if I didn't have feelings for Sidney. I'd be a fool if I ever let a guy like him slip from my grasp. I'm lucky enough just to have his hand in mine as we walked to his car and drove to my place.

A single light in the living room showed any life in the house. Just as I was about to unlock the door, Sidney grabbed my hands, kissing the tops of both of them, "I had a great night." He whispered.

"So did I."

"Maybe we can do it again...before I leave for the road trip."

"I'm sure I can schedule you in." Sidney smiled and pulled me up against him. My arms immediately went around his neck, his engulfing me around the waist. His kiss was sweet. But as simple as it was, it stirred a fire within. This was a guy I could see something with. Nothing could ruin this...this moment, this night, this week, this year.

I was happy with my life. I had a good home, a loving goddaughter, an enjoyable career. This guy in my arms was the cherry on top. Nothing could make this worse.

Sidney pulled away slightly, my lips automatically getting cold, "I think we're being watched." He whispered. I couldn't help the smile from growing on my face.

He pecked my lips one last time before I opened the door to see two bodies run from the window to the couch, "Hey guys." I said.

"Oh, hey, you're back already? Wow. How was your night? I'm sure it was...fantastic." Lauren said. Her and Maddi both turned around on their spot on the couch, their heads resting in their hands.

"You should be in bed missy." I said brushing Maddi's hair from her face.

"Come on Lauren, you're dad won't want you out this late."

"I'm sure he'll make an exception." She said getting off the couch and sliding on her coat. I handed Lauren her money and walked both of them to the door. Sidney had left the car running to keep it warm, so while Lauren jumped in the car to beat the winter cold, Sidney turned back to me, "I'll see you tomorrow?" He asked. I smiled and nodded, watching him get into his car. Maddi and I waved as they pulled out.

I felt Maddi's head slump against my leg, her eyes droopy, "Let's get you to bed kiddo."
♠ ♠ ♠
What better day than to update on Sidney's birthday! Honestly it wasn't planned but I thought it be a nice way to start off the day. Hope this was alright. More to come, I promise.

Happy Birthday 24th Sidney!

Thanks for reading! :)