Shut up and Sing It With Me

Gravity Defies

Gravity defied against me – causing me to plummet to the ground. The breath forced its way out my lungs as my back made contact with the hard ground. A small ‘crack’ and shot of pain through my arm was definitely a bad sign. I whimpered in anguish as I twisted in agony. Beyond my anguished groans, I could hear snickering from the upstairs window. Unfortunately, I was stuck rolling in the dying grass, unable to defend my pride.

“She jumped out of the damn window,” the tenor voice chortled. “Those pills fuck people up bad; got them flying out windows now.”

Shortly after I watched his head pop back in the window, I heard the front door snap ajar along with two pairs of clunky shoes thump against the pavement and finally crunching the yellow grass. I now lay on my uninjured side, gazing at a pair of black boots that resembled the ones that soldiers would wear in combat.

“Carry her to the car?” a new voice spoke – the gangly one.

The other one must have nodded in agreement because suddenly I felt hands all over me. I started kicking and swatting at them with my good arm. There was no way in hell I was going with them.

“Get off of me, you dirty bastards!” I growled.

However, my protesting was hopeless; I was now in both of their arms. Though, I kept up my squirming until I felt knuckles against my skull as blackness covered my sight…

It must have been night when I woke up – the room was dim and no light peeked through the curtains. I attempted to sit up on what felt like a slab of stone that I was covered in blankets on, however, a pain surged throughout my whole body like an electric current. My hand reached for the back of my head, but I realized that it was sandwiched between two splits and a wrap. That’s when it all dawned on me at once – I wasn’t home anymore.

Quickly, I hopped up out of the covers and off the solid mattress – gritting my teeth at the ache that rocketed within. My eyes raped the trashed room; mattresses lined the wooden floor, tattered blankets thrown in lumps upon the mattress, and clothes of sorts littering any vacant areas. This had to be a nightmare, this place was so shitty.

I backed up in disbelief and confusion to only fall backwards on something. My legs caught on the lump I had tripped on, however, that bump groaned and turned around.

“What the hell?” I breathed while staggering upright.

“Wh–,” the lump sat up and yawned, revealing it as yet another man. This man’s yawn was interrupted, however, when his eyes suddenly widen, “Guys... guys! She’s awake!”

Hell no. I ran for the window only to be greeted with the fact that it was boarded up. In reaction, my legs carried me through the bedroom, tripping and stumbling through the mess, and out into the equally dimmed hallway. However, my stride was cut short when two rough hands grasped forcefully at my upper arms. I was swiftly rotated around to face the same man who had only wrecked into my car a few hours prior to this disaster.

My eyes searched his face in attempt to avoid his penetrating eyes. His lips were full and his nose came down from its bridge at a triangular shape. His eyebrows were light, almost blending in with his skin, and his pale, thin face framed with dark curls that spiraled down from his scalp in a bushy manner.

“If you run, you ain’t going far with one arm,” he animated his words by shaking his head – his hair flowing with the motion.

I felt his tight grip submit from my arms. My eyes still latched onto his face even as he turned away and headed down the murky hall. This was my given opportunity to make a run for it and I wasn’t going to miss this chance. To hell with what he said, there was no way we could be that far from home. My feet carried me to a doorway that was partially covered with a board, but from the light sneaking in the cracks, I could tell it was an exit. I pushed the door aside on its hinge, which was a single nail attached to the top of it, and walked out into the blazing sun.

It was evening. I could tell by the way the sun was slowly hiding beyond the mountains in the distance. The mountains cast large shadows across the miles of desert surrounding this shack. Wait… miles of desert? My eyes reexamined the land thoroughly, only to see the same vast desert again. Maybe he was right, I couldn’t stand a chance, but I had to get out of here and back within the safety of my pristine house – away from this dump. But how?
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been on a writing hype for a few days now, which was the reason for this update coming sooner than normal; it's a little shorter, though.

Also, thanks to everyone who has commented so far; it means a lot. :)