Sequel: Mess You Made

Smiling In Everything

You aren't gonna fall.

"I've always loved giraffes."

I look over at Alex, raising an eyebrow. "Okay," I giggle, smoothing my hands over my white capris pants. "Why have you always loved giraffes?"

"Because they don't give a fuck about anything," he answers, leaning against the railing as we stared at the giraffes. "Like, they wanted to have long necks, so they adapted to having long necks. Do you seen any other animal with long necks? Nope. Just giraffes."

I laugh out loud. "You are so silly, Alex."

He grins, looking over at me. "You're the silly one, Sadie."

I stick my tongue out before he starts pulling me over to the Elephants. We pass by a couple of about 18 to 20, their faces close as the chuckled, watching the cheetahs chase each other around their field. I bite my bottom lip. Here I was with a guy I've been head over heels for for years, and I can't even do that. I shake my head.

"Look, Sades!" Alex points at the steps. "You can ride the elephant! Let's go!" He grabs my hand, his eyes shining as he pulls me up the stairs. I laugh and follow, tingles shooting up my arm at the contact of our hands.

"Two," Alex smiles, handing the guy the money. The guy nods and whistles, signalling for the worker in the elephant pin to bring the elephant around. He does, guiding the animal over.

"It's really big," I murmur, my voice shaking. "What if I fall off?"

"You aren't gonna fall," he says. It seemed like he was gonna add more to the sentence, but stops there and pulls me over to get on the elephant first. I carefully swing one leg over the back of the huge, gray animal, squeaking as I plop down on it's hide. It doesn't even acknowledge it as Alex gets on as well, his arms going around my waist like the instructor told him to do so.

"Ready?" the instructor on the ground asks.

Alex gives him a thumbs up before putting that arm back around my waist. I was very tempted to lean my back against his chest, but knew that would be inappropriate. So I settle with the feeling of him holding me.

The guy on the ground starts pulling the elephant forward, who obliged to the command.

As the elephant takes the first step, I gasp as we lurch forward. I could Alex chuckle in my ear. "You okay?" he asks, his tone amused. I could feel my cheeks heat in embarrassment.

"Yeah. Just..."

"Scared?"

"Shutup."

He laughs again, tightening his arms around my waist. It assured me, and I relax my tensed muscles just a little bit. The elephant was moving at a leisurely pace and the scariness of the situation dimmed as we continued to walk around the elephant pin in a circle.

"See? Nothing to be scared about," Alex says, a grin in his voice, his breath tickling my neck.

"I guess not," I laugh weakly, shifting on the back. As I did, the elephant turned a corner in the pin, and my legs lost grip on the animal. I let out a muffled shout as my body jerks to the right. I prepared myself to hit the ground, but Alex's arms around my waist stopped my fall and he hauls me back onto the elephant. The guy on the ground stared up at my body that half on the animal and half-off, his mouth a silent O.

I was pulled back into a sitting position by Alex. "Shit, are you okay?" he asks, his arms like a death grip around my torso.

I nod, but I knew my skin was white from fear. "I'm fine."

"No you're not."

I don't answer as we stay silent for the rest of the ride. Once we were back at the staircase, I immediately jump off the elephant, my hands shaking. I try to get them to stop by stuffing them in the pockets of my pants, but that didn't help.

"Come on," Alex says, putting his hand against the small of my back. "Let's sit down."

He leads me to a bench, telling me to stay put as he goes over to a kiosk and asks for two waters. He comes back with bottles in hand, giving me one. I take a sip, biting my bottom lip.

"I guess the elephant ride wasn't such a good idea," Alex finally speaks, sounding worried.

I shake my head. "It was fun, I just lost my grip. It's not your fault. It was my own damn fault for not paying attention." I chuckle darkly. "I've never liked elephants anyway. They're really big and could stomp on you if you're under their foot."

Alex laughs. "At least you're still alive."

"True. I can now say I had a near death experience."

He grins. "And I can say that I was the one to save you."

I smile back, but bite the inside of my cheek. He looks up at the sky, thankfully not seeing the forlorn look on my face. I just wish he was there every time to save me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not really a filler, but not really a chapter.
Just to show a sweet side to Alex. He saved Sadie. AWWWWH.
Thoughts?

Also! No one has guessed what is going to happen in the story. Hmm, kinda weird. It's almost, like, RIGHT in your face. I can't give a hint without giving it completely away. That contest to see who gets it first is still on! The prize: Role in my story, banner, subscription, or one-shot. Keep on guessing!

RebeccaRiot!
girl at the rockshow
lilac encouragement; (x2)