Status: semi active

You Can't Hurry Love

Chapter twenty one

Everyone was now assembled at the river ready for the canoe task. The camp leaders were explaining the task to us, and how it was ‘team building’ but I was zoned out, as I was picking out the true meanings of the task.

We were meant to be canoeing down the river with a partner, taking photos of wild Pokémon as a ‘trust building’ thing. Apparently we were meant to trust our partner to take the reigns whilst we rowed. Didn’t make sense, but it was believable enough for everyone at the camp.

I’d like to say that I was so angry with Lance that I was ignoring his presence, but every few seconds I’d look his way to see if he was looking at me. A lot of the times I’d see him quickly turn his head away from my gaze, and it made me wonder if the times I didn’t see him do it had he moved away fast enough?

I was snapped out of my mind game with Lance as I noticed Jack in front of me.

“This is the first time I’ve seen you without that Lance dweeb hanging off you.” Jack stated to me, and I could tell he was holding himself back from saying more as he fished for my reaction.

“Mmm, yeah. Sorry I haven’t been able to talk much, he hasn’t been leaving me alone.” I replied.

I felt a little guilty for painting Lance in this light. He had been nothing but polite to me, and I was the one who begged him to keep me away from Jack. But then I remembered that he put my safety above everything else and forced me to canoe with him alone. This anger made me run my mouth even more.

“Who even calls their kid Lance, anyway? Like, what the hell. It’s such an overrated name. I don’t care about the champion, in fact I think he’s a stuck up moron. The way he watches over Kanto and Johto is almost creepy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he sat outside girl’s windows at night and watched them.” I said loudly, not hiding the fact I was talking ill of Lance.

I was expecting Lance to ignore my statement, or just shoot me a dirty look and walk away. I was being immature and I knew that, and as Lance is a very mature individual I thought he’d avoid my statement at all cost.

But maybe that’s just what I was hoping for. As soon as the words came out of my mouth I instantly regretted saying them, but it was too late. They were stated, and Lance had overheard.

“Emily, stop being immature and ridiculous. I know you regret coming to this camp with me, and to be frank I regret coming with you too. You were quite a poor choice to have as my partner for this task, and I will quickly replace you once this camp is over.” Lance said to me, letting out a sigh at the end.

Jack narrowed his eyes at Lance and looked a little uncomfortable upon Lance’s words. Whilst Lance’s statement was cryptic and didn’t reveal our plans, Jack knew it wasn’t flowing conversation and there was something suspicious going on.

I however, felt gutted. I felt like my heart had dropped out of my body onto the floor. It felt like the blood in my veins had turned to venom.

I had something good going on with Lance. And for once, it wasn’t some idiot trying to get into my pants. We got along together well, and we managed to have some interesting conversations. We also had amazing adventures so far, which was only going to go deeper as time went on. Lance had opened up to me, telling me things I’m sure he hadn’t told anyone else outside his clan, and perhaps some things he hadn’t told anyone else full stop.

Then I had to go and ruin it by being a selfish moron. Lance had my best interests in mind as he suggested I canoe with Jack. He wouldn’t ever put me in harms way, and before I even accepted this mission he said I would have to trust him, no matter what. He was a secretive guy who no doubt had a dark past who was putting his trust into me, and then there was me with no dark past, no trust issues who is a normal university student with no secrets who was the one with the trust issue. How could I be so stupid?

I thought about a Hollywood style epic apology. Something heartfelt, where we’d cry and makeup. Yeah, I could do that! Then Lance and I would be all good again, and stronger than ever to beat Team Rocket.

“Lance, I um…there’s a reason for my actions. If we talk about it alone, I can explain it better. But I’m sorry.” I said to Lance, out of earshot of Jack as I ran after him.

Lance stopped in his tracks and I smiled widely that he was considering it. In all honesty the apology sounded better in my head.

“Emily, there’s nothing you could say that could surprise me. Save your breath.” Lance coldly said to me before walking off, and my smile faltered.

I hung my head and didn’t even bother hiding my disappointment as I trotted back to Jack. What’s the use anymore? Mission aborted. I could have self pity without trying to do a secondary task.

Hell, I could even go and pack. I could leave the camp today and lay low for a while in a Pokémon centre, until I’m forced to go home and tell my parents my friendship with the champ and dragon tamer fizzled out because I said some heated words. Yay.

“Oh dear? Having some friendship issues it seems? Why don’t we skip the canoe task, and hang out in my tent? This is a fun and friendly camp, I don’t think anyone would mind.” Jack suggested to me.

“I um…you know what? Okay. Let’s skip the canoe task.” I brightly beamed, his words finally cheering me up. The last thing I wanted to do was to be forced onto the canoe and be reminded of this petty fight.

“Alright. You go to your tent for a while and freshen up, I have a few calls to make. Just to let my friends know I won’t be able to make it, nothing too serious. Then after you’ve freshened up I want to see your pretty face in my tent.” Jack winked.

I nodded, taking in his statement and I was a little shocked as he grabbed my form into a hug. Without warning, he quickly let go and bounded off, and I was left to walk to my tent in a daze.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't believe there's been 21 chapters, and nothing but angst and platonic feelings between Emily and Lance. This is going to be a loooong story, haha. Chapter dedicated to xXPinkyPieXx as she motivated me to finally write another chapter.