Pier One

Icy Blue

Nobody in their right minds would be in this water in the middle of February. All five of the Great Lakes were nearly frozen over at this time of year. So why exactly would two boys be standing on a pier, overlooking Lake Erie on a chilly February day?

The water was nearly still and icy blue, soft ripples moving to and fro across the surface. On the pier beside the two was a trodden on pile of snow, footprints evident in the white mass.

Underneath the boys’ feet, the pier was slightly wet, as if it had just rained or water had been splashed from the lake. Thin moccasins covered both pairs of feet, tight pants on their legs, hooded sweatshirts and tees encasing their torsos, and thin hats setting on their heads. The two almost matched exactly.

Their problem? They had arrived too early. Within the next twenty minutes, at least fifteen additional persons walked up beside the original two boys, greeting each and every one of the others they encountered. When everyone expected to arrive was accounted for, a large burly man addressed the crowd of talking people.

“Welcome, and let the twelfth annual Sandusky Polar Bear Jump commence!”

His words were greeted by splashing water and cheers as each of the twenty-or-so jumped into the nearly frozen water.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you don't know, there are people all over America (and I'm sure the rest of the world too) that do this.
All throughout winter or sometimes once a winter, crazy-ass people jump into freezing cold water for an adrenalin rush.
here's about the only thing i could find to show you all. It's a part of a Cake Boss episode where they do it and make a cake for the people.