Child of the Moon

The Vampires and The Wolf Girl

The vampires were still sitting like they had when I left fifteen minutes ago, although the human was with them. The perky one moved over so I could sit next to her. I sat rather reluctantly, and the one who was called Jasper glanced up at me curiously. He was the one who could sense feelings. So I guess he would be a little confused at my fuming state.

“My name’s Alice,” the vampire beside me said. “I can see the future, so I saw you coming during the fight.” she said cheerily.

I forced a smile, pretending that this wasn’t creepy at all. “Accalia.”

The human was sitting on the other side of Alice. “So, A-… erm, Uh… Ec.. Al… uh?” she looked around in confusion. “There’s something wrong with me.”

I laughed humorlessly. “Nothings wrong with you besides your humanity. Which there’s nothing wrong with that either. You can call me Houri.”

The human nodded uncertainly. “So, Houri? What’s it like to be immortal, without hating your existence?” she looked pointedly at all the vamps around us.

“I don’t really know. Busy, I guess. If I don’t hate myself, then there’s plenty of hate to go around to other people, I guess.”

Bella nodded uncertainly, like that wasn’t the answer she had been looking for. I doubted it was, but it was the first thing that came to mind, and I honestly didn’t feel like anything of anything better to elaborate on at the moment.

Jasper looked over at me sympathetically. I gave him a small smile, trying to cover up my anger. But, of course, he could read emotions. I furrowed my eyebrows together. So that didn’t really work.

He laughed lightly and I laughed a little too, before the sound in my throat caught. It had been years since I had laughed, and I had forgotten what it sounded like. It had been a sign of weakness in the pack, so I had gotten into the habit of refusing to laugh at an early age.

“It’s okay. We’re not like that here,” Alice said encouragingly. I wondered briefly if she could read emotions too, but I doubted it. Just intuitive, I guess.

I gave a small smile, trying to get used to this ‘family’ environment.

“So where did you come from?” Carlisle’s mate asked curiously. “Oh, and I'm Esme,” she added with a smile.

“Oh, right. I live mostly in Europe, where most of my kind are. This is the first time I’ve been here since the witch trials in early American Colonies. They were rather interesting from our kinds point of view, and so it was very popular for us to come over once in a while to watch.”

The blonde one gaped at me. “How old are you?”

And so we got into a night-long discussion about our kind and where we all were before we got here. I was wearing a genuine smile by dawn. This is how it must feel to have a home.

Sometime after many laughs and tear jerking stories, Alice’s head snapped up. She was staring directly at me, but it didn’t take a genius to realize that she wasn’t seeing me.

After an awkward moment as everyone got silent, she looked back over at Edward and Carlisle.

“The Volturi is coming. They want to see if Bella’s a vampire yet,” she said worriedly.

“How long do we have?” Carlisle asked calmly, although I could feel the nervousness radiating off the younger vampires, and especially the human.

“Minutes.” Alice said softly.

The all glanced at each other, and then at me.

“You’ll have to hide here. I don’t think they will be able to tell what you are while you are masked in our scent.” Carlisle said.

“We’ll be back soon. Make yourself at home,” Alice said with a quivering smile.

I nodded as they left with the human. Strange group of people.

I walked up the large staircase upstairs to what appeared to be a bonus room. I curled up on the bed and fell asleep almost instantly. It had been a really long day.

I woke up hours later to the scent of demons.

I jumped out of the warm bed and jumped over the banister with ease. I landed and ran over to the door. Figures were moving outside quickly, the smell of the demons all over them.

I pulled out a small dagger from the elastic around my thigh quickly, bringing the blade above my head.

The door eased open and I pushed myself even further into the wall. The man moved forward, and just as he stepped into the threshold, I swiped the dagger down, stopping just before I pierced the skin on his neck.

“Who the hell are you and what have you done to the owners of this house?” I hissed quickly, only audible enough for him to hear.

The vampires neck tilted back but the figure didn’t move. “Accalia? It’s Edward.” He said softly.

Move into the light, then. You know you smell like shit, right? Been hanging with demons, have you? I said in my mind sarcastically, knowing that no one could hear me. This wasn’t Edward, and those weren't the Cullens. They were obviously creatures with demonic purposes.

“No, really, Accalia, it’s us!” Edward hissed, moving into the light a little, and I saw the fear on his face. At that moment, the Jasper turned to look at us.

“The wolf girl’s trying to kill Edward!” he shouted, purposefully not using my name the moment he loses all the trust we formed in the past twenty four hours. I lowered the knife immediately.

“I-I thought…” I stuttered, but the vampires muscles tensed to pounce despite my sad excuses.

Without a moments hesitation, I tore through the house to the front door, ripping it off its hinges as I fled into the night.