Child of the Moon

Vampires, Werewolves, and Raw Squirrels

But all too soon, the new moon came. Not a fun experience.

You see, if we take Wolfsbane, we are very awake while we are a wolf, as well as the actual transformation. All that trouble just so a few humans don’t die.

But it was very necessary today because Bella was here, and there was a town very close by. No way I was taking any chances.

So I curled up into a tight ball on my bed and waited for the sun to set. I could see the streaks coming through the blinds, and one by one they slowly disappeared.

Right then was when it started. First the prickling all over my skin as fur grew from nowhere. Then my bones stretched and smooshed themselves into the build of a she-wolf, and dragged the muscles, organs, and skin with it. The fingernails felt like they were being ripped from my skin as they were pulled and curled into claws. It took everything I had in me not to scream- or howl- and succumb to the pain.

It took a while, but the transformation was over soon enough. After a moment, Edward was standing in my door, even though I knew that he had been hunting with Alice and Carlisle somewhere in Canada.

“Alice said that you were transforming… I just wanted to make sure that you were… erm, normal,” he rushed, looking at me curiously.

I didn’t know what he was expecting of me; I mean, I couldn’t talk or anything, so I just held his gaze evenly. Totally un-animalish.

But I kept forgetting that he could read my mind. I wonder if he could read my mind as a wolf…

EDWARD! I screamed in my head, and he nearly jumped out of his shoes. I laughed, which came out as a strange mix of a bark and a howl.

“You think that’s funny, do you?” he asked with a smile, and I barked happily. “Well, you scared me to death, so what do you want?”

Shouldn’t you have been able to read my mind, vamp?

He sighed. “I was trying to give you some privacy by ignoring everything from you. But apparently you don’t deserve it.”

Do so! Go back to doing that, I like it when I can keep thoughts to myself!
He laughed, just as I wondered if he could get me anything to eat.

“Seriously? You couldn’t have eaten before you turned?”

I wasn’t really thinking about food, I was trying to force feed myself Wolfsbane!

“Fun stuff,” he laughed. “I’ll help next time.”

Next time? How long are those people going to be here?!

“Alice says they’re here for at least another month, especially now that they can smell you. They’re pretty persistent when they want something.”

But why me? I’m no different than the other thousand wolves out there!
He sighed, patiently, as if he were explaining something to a child. “Well, you do only look sixteen,” he chided.

Yes, but I’m still a whole mess older than you, I reminded him sweetly.

“Anyways. They don’t know that. You’re the first they’ve crossed paths with.”

Well then they’re obviously blind. I bet they have at least five living in Volterra. I grumbled unhappily.

He laughed. “So what do you want?”

Raw squirrels. Definitely.

He tried to hide his disgust, and was failing miserably, causing me to laugh again.

I’m just kidding. You have any Frosted Flakes? I’m having a major cereal craving.

He laughed again, and said he could get me some. This is probably the best time I’ve ever had as a wolf.