I'll Be There

The Beginning

“Man,” Justin said while looking up. “The weather looks like crap.”

“It’s been looking this way for days,” Madeline said.

Justin and Madeline were currently sitting out on the balcony of his apartment. They were sitting side by side against the brick wall. Both were gazing up at the sky which had currently turned a nasty shade of gray.

“Do you think we should go back in?”

“Not yet Maddie,” Justin replied. “Plus there’s something that I need to show you.”

“What?” The blonde haired girl asked while her blue eyes sparkled.

Justin licked his lips and smiled. He quickly dug in his shirt pocket and brought it out. He held it up and Madeline gasped. “I bought if for you.” He held up a gleaming silver necklace with a beautiful glimmering stone attached.

She simply sat there with her mouth formed in perfect ‘O’. She finally got her voice back and began talked rapidly. “You shouldn’t have Justin! Oh gosh it’s beautiful! And it’s my birthstone!”

Justin sat back and nodded his head. “I know, I know. I saw it and you immediately popped in my mind. It had your name written all over it. Do you want me to put it on you?”

“Of course.” Madeline held up her blonde hair as Justin wrapped it around her neck and closed the clasp. She put her hair down and just sat in amazement. “You’re too good to me Justin.”

Justin grabbed her hand. “Don’t ever say that Maddie.”

She blushed. “I know I shouldn’t. It’s just that I feel so guilty about my dad.”

Frowning, Justin squeezed her small hand. “Speaking of you dad, did he mention what time he was going to come over and get you?”

Justin knew that Madeline’s father hated him. It all started when Justin brought Madeline to one of his concerts and left her backstage for one minutes. It just so happened that her father came in and accused Justin of leaving his daughter behind for someone else. Justin had denied that claim over and over, but it was like beating a dead horse. Her father then dragged Madeline by the wrist and took her home. Justin didn’t even have time to say good-bye.

The mere memory of it always made him shuddered.

Madeline looked around as if her father was hiding somewhere. “No he didn’t, but now that you mention it, maybe it would be best if I told him to come and get me.”

“But I don’t want you to go!” Justin interjected. His brown eyes were wide and defiant. “Stay with me. You don’t have to go with you dad. You’re 18 Madeline! You’re a legal adult. You can do whatever you want to do.”

Madeline bit her bottom lip, desperately trying to get it to stop trembling. The last thing she wanted was for Justin to see her crying. “It’s not that easy. I’m still in school. I just can’t get up and walk out. It doesn’t work like that.”

Justin didn’t say anything. Instead, he got up from the ground and helped Madeline. He dusted off the back of his pants and looked down. His apartment balcony wasn’t too high off the ground, but it was high enough to make sure you didn’t accidentally stumble over the walls. It was about 35 feet high. Shaking his head, he was getting slightly frustrated. He was just so tired of dealing with Madeline’s father.

Madeline slowly walked to the stairs and turned around. “Are you coming or not?”

Justin was just about to respond when they heard a car screech to a halt. He gulped. He quickly ran to the front of the balcony and nearly cussed out loud. “Maddie, it’s your dad.”

She froze and her eyes widened. “He’s early.”

Justin was already running to her. He kissed her on the cheek hard and led her to the stairs. “Go now, before he gets out. I know he doesn’t want to see me so I won’t even say anything. Just go baby!”

Madeline nervously held her new necklace between her fingers. She grasped the stairway well and ran down. As she was leaving, she yelled out, “Bye Justin!”

Justin bent down on his knees and watched the scenario before his eyes. Madeline’s father came out and jerked her to the car. “You’ll never see him again!” Her father yelled at her before closing the door behind Madeline. He climbed in and quickly pulled in reverse and far away from Justin’s apartment.

Justin reversed his position so that his back was now against the wall. He wasn’t going to lie to himself; those five words that he just heard hurt him. It was like taking a punch from a professional boxer. He knew that it shouldn’t bother him, but it did. Sighing, he got up and walked to the stairs. But before he did, he took one last glance at the sky and saw its morbid state, ironically reflecting how he felt inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
833 Words.