Sequel: Listen To Your Heart
Status: Completed

Untangle Me

Time to Go

I squeezed him tight as a warm tear slipped down my cheek and hit his shoulder.
“Oh Jamie, please don’t cry.” He said as he pulled back from my grasp a little and wiped my tears with his thumb and gave me a sad smile.
“How can I not Pat! I’m moving across the country, away from you, my best friend in the whole world! Who knows what will happen. What if I never see you again? Pat, what if we never talk again?” I said frantically.
“Are you serious Jamie? That will never happen! We are going to talk every single day. I promise. And we’ll see each other again, I don’t know where or when, but trust me, we will.” He said as he rubbed my back soothingly.
“How can you be sure?” I whimpered.
“I just am. Now, I wanted to get you something before you left. To make sure you’ll never forget me.” He said as went over to his dresser and picked up a little box.
“Pat, you didn’t have to get me anything, you know I’ll never forget you.” I said, feeling bad that I hadn’t gotten him a gift.
“I know, but I wanted to.” He grinned and handed me the box. “Come on, open it!”
“Okay! Okay!” I laughed and gently open the box. Inside was a shiny silver bracelet. It was made of thin, wavy links attached to one another, but it the center, was a small silver heart. I was simple, and it was perfect.
“Do you like it?” He asked with toothy grin.
“Like it? I love it! Oh Pat, thank you so much!” I hugged him tightly. “Will you put it on for me?” I asked.
He nodded and I held out my wrist and he fumbled with the clasp. I examined it as I twirled my wrist and it sparkled as the light hit it. “It’s perfect.” I said and hugged him again. We just stood there hugging; both knowing it would all come to an end soon.
I heard a honk from outside, which I new was my parents, saying it was time to go. I had come to Pat’s house to say my last good-byes, and my parent’s said they would pick me up when it was time to hit the road. I gave Pat one last squeeze and pulled away, holding him at arm’s length.
“I’ll call you when I get to the new house.” I told him.
“I’ll wait by the phone.” He joked and we both smiled. “Good-bye Jamie.”
“Bye Pat.” I said and left the room before I started to cry again. I ran through his house, the house I knew so well, it was my second home really. I spent my childhood and preteen years in this house. And now I was leaving it, for good. Moving 3,000 miles away, to a place I’ve never been before, where I don’t know anyone. I don’t want to leave, but I had no choice. My dad got transferred to Boston, Massachusetts for work, and we didn’t have a say in the matter. So I’m leaving Tempe, Arizona, my hometown, and everyone in it, including my best friend. It’s not fair to put a 14 year old through this. Now I have to start high school, which is hard enough, without my friends or anyone I know. Frankly, this sucks.
I burst through the front door of the house and ran to my car. I jumped in the back with my sister Mary, who was 13.
“You okay?” She asked worried. She knew how hard this was for me, and it was just as hard for her. I nodded and turned back to Pat’s house as my dad started to pull away. I looked up at his window, and just as I thought, Pat was there watching me. I waved good-bye to him, as I thought that this might very well be the last time I saw his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys! This is my first story so I hope you like it. It's gonna be a long one, so expect lots and lots of chapters. I promise to update often! So comment it up, I'll read them all. Enjoy!