Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 1

I lost my date...Great.

"Lost again?" Mary, the bartender, asked.

"It wouldn't be a party if I wasn't."

But this wasn't any party. I got the chance to go to the NHL Awards in Las Vegas. My cousin worked for the Carolina Hurricanes and I was able to meet some of the players. Over the past few years, I became friends with them, especially Jeff Skinner being that we were the same age. He had asked if I wanted to join him and I agreed. But we weren't technically dates or dating. Just one friend bringing another to a party.

I sat with him during the awards but we separated when we got to the party. I had chatted with a few of the other guys from the team. They probably felt bad. I didn't know anyone here and the one person that was suppose to keep me company ran off someplace.

I did attempt small talk with some people. But I always found myself back at Mary's bar drinking a water, being only 19, "I think I'm just going to hand here till they kick me out." I said accepting a glass from Mary. She shook her head, "There are plenty of good looking, young men here that will talk to you. Baby, if I was 30 years younger..."

"Aren't you married?" I asked nodding down at her left hand where a simple wedding band laid. She shrugged and went back to her job.

I crossed my legs and attempted to get as comfortable as one could on a bar stool. I set my clutch on the bar and pulled out my phone. My phone lit up with a text messages, 5 to be exact; one from my cousin asking how I was, one from Jeff making sure I was still alive someplace, two from my mother making sure I was behaving, and the last one I didn't even want to read. He was the last person I wanted to talk to on my vacation.

I let out a sigh putting my phone back in my purse. "Rough night?" someone asked. To my right, a blonde hair, blue eyes man stood. I know I recognize him from somewhere put I couldn't place it. His grin was about as sleek as his suit as he leaned on his elbows.

"No I'm good. It's been an interesting night." I replied.

"Yeah? How so?"

"I've lost my date...again." He smiled, "And how is your date? Maybe I can help?"

"Jeff Skinner."

"You mean Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes? The one that is talking to a blonde in a red dress?" The blonde haired man asked pointing behind me. I turned and spotted my young date smiling at whatever the big boobed, blonde cougar was saying, "Well then, guess I won't bother him."

"You don't think he needs help?"

"I'll get a distress text if it's bad. It's when he comes and finds me that it got worse."

"That's not fair to you,"

"Nah, this is his time. I'm just a friend."

"I thought you were his date?"

"Only when he needs help. Besides, this is his time. I'm only here for the adventure."

"An adventure?"

"It's not everyday I get out of the house, let alone to Vegas."

"And where is home for you?"

"Syracuse, New York."

"Really? I'm from Buffalo, born and raised."

"I've been there a few times. Once was for a hockey game." He smiled, "I've been to Syracuse a few times."

"There isn't really much there, which is why I'm here."

"Understandable. So how do you know Jeff if you're from Syracuse?" he asked.

"Travel...and my cousin works with the team. Couple tickets, a few passes, and a friendship blossomed. He asked if I wanted to come and I jumped at the chance."

"I don't blame you. Vegas is fun." He said with a smirk, "So how long are you here for?"

"Just a couple of days. It gives me enough time to sight see."

"There's a lot to see."

"Then I'll have to find me a tour guide."

"Kaner!" Both of us turned to see a dark haired guy coming up to us, a smile on his face, "Where've you been? I've been looking all over." he said. Kaner? I'm such an idiot.

"I've just been talking. Jon this is..." He started only to remember he didn't know my name.

"Kara, my name is Kara."

"It's nice to meet you Kara. I hope Kaner here is behaving."

"I straighten him out if he wasn't." I replied.

"That's good. Kaner, there's someone you got to meet." Jon said nodding his head behind him. Kaner looked between his friend and me like he was debating who to be with.

"Go ahead. I need to walk around anyways. It was nice to meet you." I said getting down from my stool smiling at them.

As I walked away, I reminded myself to thank Jeff for this. It's not often you can talk to Patrick Kane.
♠ ♠ ♠
There it is. It's a bit rough probably but what opening isn't? More to come :)