Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 14

The party was in full swing when the three of us arrived. Music was playing in the back of the giant room. "You guys want something to drink?" They nodded and followed me to the man build bar along one of the walls. I cracked open two bottles of beer and handed them to each guy.

"The doctor is in the house!" A familiar squeal yelled "Hey Dr. McSexy."

"New nickname Nina?"

"Dr. McDreamy was already taken. Fabulous job with the show. Only you can make Dominic look good."

"It's because I dress him and do his make-up."

Nina and I became fast friends once she and Dom started dating. Since Dom and I are so close, we looked after each other and I wasn't afraid to tell him when a girlfriend was bad news. Nina had been the first one to win me over. It might have something to do with the fact that we were similar in many ways; same 5'5" frame, same curly brown hair, same love for Dominic, and same interests. A lot of people say we could look like twins if it wasn't for her green eyes and my blue ones. Dom was teased that he should date both of us, a thought he had considered but only earned a slap from both of us. Nina and I would mess with him, acting all lovey dovey with each other when he was around...it drove him insane, "I'm convinced you're cheating on me with her." Dom would accuse.

"So who are these fine young gentlemen? they look awfully familiar." Nina asked.

"This is Jon and Pat." I told her.

"Do Jon and Pat have last names? Didn't your mother teach you proper introductions?" I rolled my eyes.

"Nina French, meet Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane." Her eyes widened figuring out who they were.

"Don't let Dom see them. He'll squeal like a school girl."

"He already saw them. They were at the show."

"Oh god. I'll try to control him but I can't make any promises," Nina told the guys. "I gotta go find him anyways. It was nice meeting you. Save a dance Dr. McSexy." I laughed as she went off, mingling with some others.

"Alright I gotta know...why do they call you doctor?" Jon asked. I just shrugged, "I can fix anything. Dom started it when someone sewed his pant legs two different sizes."

"Looks like you and Kaner have something in common."

"They call you doctor?" I asked Patrick.

"Yeah, I have no idea why though."

The three of us walked around the room having small talk with various people. Jon and Pat didn't have much to worry about since only a few people knew who they were. The two hockey players were at ease from what I could tell. They could act like normal people and not have a care in the world. That made me happy. I could understand if they felt weird. They were surrounded by theatre people that confused hockey for football.

I stayed by their side as best as I could, occasionally being pulled away be people. I was grabbing some more drinks when Nina leaned against the bar beside me, "So are you dating one or both of them? Last time I checked we were together."

"Hey, if you're allowed to date Dom then I can see someone on the side too."

"So you are dating one of them. Nice work Doc." She said winking. I shook my head, "I'm not dating either one. We're just friends."

"What? How can you be 'just friends' with that? Plus, they both look at you the same as Dom looks at me."

"Nina, I think you've had too much to drink." I said reaching for her bottle.

"Hands off the beer woman. I don't have to preform tomorrow." She said caressing her bottle. "Come on, it's time to dance!" She tugged my arm towards the middle of the room. The beat to a remix song blasted through the speakers. A beat one couldn't keep from dancing too. Nina and I danced close, catching the eyes of most of the straight men in the room. "Kara she's my girlfriend! Knock it off!!!" Dominic yelled so now everyone was looking, even Pat. I sent him a smirk. "Your boy is starring at you." Nina whispered in my ear. "You better make a move before DQ does." I looked back over and saw the drama queen herself making a move on Pat. I pushed my way over to him just as Annabelle put her hand on his arm, "Let's dance." I said taking his hand. I saw Annabelle's scowl as I turned to face Pat in the middle of the dance floor. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his rested on my hips.

"I think you just saved my life." Pat said.

"It's my job to keep you away from the bad ones. That's why you pay me." I joked.

"I wonder if you make a better wingman than Tazer."

"Where is the Captain?"

"I don't know. I'm not his babysitter."

"Thanks for coming to the show....it meant a lot to see you."

"Anything for you Kara." I dropped my head knowing I was blushing.

We never left each other's side. We danced to the next numerous songs, slow and fast.

I lost all track of time. All track everything that's around me. I was having a lot of fun with Pat. All the time we had away from each other was being made up in this short time we've spent.

My back was pressed against Patrick's chest, his hands on my hips. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the feel of him being so close to me, holding me like I was all that mattered. This was just bringing back those feelings I started to have for him in the beginning. I had pushed those feelings away after what happened in Buffalo. It was obvious Pat didn't share the same feelings for me. Why would he? But I couldn't stop the feelings I've had for him.

"Mind if I cut in?" Pat and I stopped dancing and saw Jon standing there looking at me with a smirk.

"Um...yeah, sure. I'm gonna...get a drink." Pat said taking a step back from me. I gave him a small smile and turned to Jon as he pulled me closer to him, "How's your night been?" Jon asked.

"Fun. I hope you're having fun. I haven't seen you the whole time."

"Yeah it's been nice. Everyone's really nice."

"Good, I'm glad."

"You'll have to come meet some of my co-workers. They're about as fun as yours." He joked.

"I guess I could at least go to a game when you guys are in town." I promised.

"Attention everyone! It's time for Council!!" Dominic yelled.

"Council?" Jon raised his eye brow.

"Time for next years game plan. Dom likes to call it the Council, makes it sound more important than it really is." I explained taking his hand and leading him to the couch. The entire room circled around, separating into their right jobs; costumes on the couch, actors with lines in front of the stereos, chorus at the bar, dancers lining the floor, then the set builders, and make-up/hair on the chairs to the left of the couch completing the circle.

"Alright, we all know why we are here--"

"Dom, there is no need to milk this. If anyone has a show suggestion speak now." I interrupted him. He stuck his tongue at me and I just shook my head.

"How about 'Music Man'?" Daniel, a supporting actor suggested. He walked into the middle of the circle, "Well a woman who'll kiss on the very first date is usually a hussy. And a woman who'll kiss on the second time out is anything but fussy. But a woman who waits 'til the third time around, head in the clouds, feet on the ground! She's the girl he's glad he's found--she's his Shi-Poo-Pi! Shi-Poo-Pi! Shi-Poo-Pi! Shi-Poo-Pi!" He sang.

"The girl that's hard to get!" Everyone else rang out and clapped. Daniel bowed and took his seat.

"I say we do 'Once on This Island!" Harriet, a dancer said. She and two other dancers stepped up, "We dance! We dance! To the music of the gods! The music of the breezes through the green plaintain. The murmur of the river and the roar of rain. And if the gods decide to send a hurricane we dance!"

"'The Producers' that's what we need to do!" Donna, from costumes, jumped up, "Ven you go it, flaunt it. Step right up and strut your stuff. People tell you modesty's a wirtue, but in the threatre modesty can hurt you. Ven you got it, flaunt it. Show your assets, let them know you're proud. Your goodies you must push, stick out your chest, shake your tush. Ven you got it, shout it out loud!"

People shouted out titles and sang their songs to make their show the best. Every musical on the face of the earth was named. When I dropped my head, Jon started rubbing my back.

"Can we please narrow it down to one show per group?" I yelled in frustration. Everyone agreed and gathered in their own group. "What do you guys think?" I asked the group.

"They're all good ideas." Jenny said.

"No matter what we do, we can get the costumes together."Theresa added.

"We need a musical that won't make Annabelle the lead again. After the past few ones, I'm ready for an all male show." Donna said rubbing her temples. All of us nodded in agreement.

"Why don't we ask the guys?" Sally, the youngest of our group suggested. Everyone's head turned to Jon and Pat, who found me just as all this started.

"....what?" Pat asked.

"What do you guys think?"

"Kara, we know nothing about musicals." he pointed out.

"There wasn't any title that stuck out to you?"

"What about 'Chicago'?" Jon shrugged.

"You're just saying that because you live in Chicago."

"That's a good show. We could do that. We've got lingerie from 'Best Little Whore House in Texas'."

"Lingerie? Perfect! Do that one." Pat said. All of us laughing.

"So we all agree?" I asked, everyone nodding. When the other groups came to their conclusions it was time to pick next years summer show. Nina stood in the center as our non-theatre-related judge, "Everyone knows the rules? Each group will state their show. Actors will go first." Dom stood up, "The actors pick 'Les Miserables'."

"The Chorus chooses 'Jesus Christ Superstar'."

"Dancers want 'Footloose'."

"Builders pick 'The Phantom of the Opera'."

"Make-up wants 'Cats'." I stood up as the group leader, "Costume suggests 'Chicago'." The room erupted in murmurs.

"Everyone picked a really good show. But Costumes was the only one that didn't pick something that would compliment their station." Nina pointed out. "I'm going to go with Costumes."

"That's not fair! It's because you're friends with Kara!" Annabelle argued.

"But I'm dating Dom not Kara."

"That's still under consideration." Daniel mumbled.

"Les Mes will give all of us all a big boost in the business." Annabelle continued.

"No, it will give you a boost in the business. Besides, Les Mes is depressing. 'Chicago' has humor and love and greed in it." Donna pushed.

"So did 'West Side Story'." Annabelle sneered.

"Look! 'Chicago' is a classic. That's what people want to see. People love that show anyways. It's got the same qualities as Les Mes. And didn't your group pick this years." That shut up Annabelle. "Is everyone at an agreement? The summer of 2012 performance will be 'Chicago'." Nina declared. The costume group cheered and congratulated each other.

"Good work team. I need to head home. I'm exhausted." I said good-bye to everyone and headed home with Jon and Pat by my side. The ride home was quiet mostly because I could have passed out if I wasn't driving.

At home, all of the lights except the hallway was off. "We have a futon downstairs and an air mattress. You two can figure out where you're going to sleep and you can let me know." I told them as I walked upstairs to clean up. I put on some some boxer shorts and a tank top, tying my hair in a bun. When I finished washing my face, I grabbed two sets of sheets and blankets and went back downstairs, "Got stuck with the couch?"

"Yeah," Jon said "I figured since I leave in the morning." I tossed Jon one end of a sheet so we could tuck it in.

"What time do you need to leave?"

"My plane is at 7:25. So I need to be there at 5:30 or so."

"Then I'll see you in the morning." I said handing him his pillow.

"You don't have to do that. I can call a cab or something."

"No, I want too. Who knows when I'll see you next." He smirked.

"You can always come a visit me."

"I plan too. I hear there's a lake with your name on it." He laughed.

"Yeah, I can show you my home town. We can go for boat rides and all kinds of fun Winnipeg has to offer." He said stepping closer to me.

"Doesn't that sound nice? I will defiantly have to take you up on that offer." I said just above a whisper. I couldn't stop looking in those dark brown eyes as he brought a hand up to my cheek. His eyes glanced between my eyes and my lips as he got closer and closer. I knew my heart beat was at a fast pace, I was just hoping Jon couldn't hear it.

Mere centimeters away from feeling Jon's full lips on my, a sweet dream away when...

"Kara! You have NHL '10!!" Jon's head fell resting on my forehead, a groan in the back of his throat.

"I need to...um...go, help Patrick. I-I'll see you in the morning Jon." I said giving him a smile and walked down the stairs to the basement.

I was just three steps down when I heard "Fuck" being grumbled from back in the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
One of my not favorite chapters. sorry if it wasn't great.