Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 15

At 4:45 my alarm went off. Fucking alarm. I was having a pleasant dream!

I rolled out of bed and quietly made my way to the bathroom to fix my hair and brush my teeth. I even splashed my face with cold water to wake me up. I dressed in yoga pants and slipped on a Sabre's sweatshirt over my tank top. I grabbed a hat and carried it downstairs with me. As I glanced over the banister, I noticed the sheets were neatly folded and placed on one side of the couch. The light to the kitchen was on so i ventured that way.

Jon was leaning against the counter rubbing his eyes. A perfect view of his butt for the morning. He looked like a bum in sweats....I suppose I shouldn't be saying much.

"Good morning." I said, my voice filled with sleep still. He dropped his hands from his face and looked at me then down at my sweatshirt.

"I might have to fix that."

"I think you should work on your own choice of clothing." I said nodding at his Blackhawk...everything. "Do they even give you Hawk underwear to match? I bet they have the days of the week on them too."

"Wanna see?" He grinned gripping the waist band of his pants. I put my hand over my eyes.

"Too early for that. Let's get going, we can stop at Tim Horton's quick. Do you want to say by to your boyfriend?"

"Funny but I see enough of him as it is. He won't miss me." I nodded and headed for the front door picking up my wallet and keys.

Jon tossed his bag in the back seat as I climbed in the drivers spot, turning my jeep on. When Jon was in, I back out of the drive way and headed towards a Tim Horton's. As we approached the drive-thru I asked, "What would you like?"

"Coffee is fine."

"Nothing to eat? I know those airplane peanuts are delicious..." He laughed.

"Nah, I'm good." When I got to the box I ordered a coffee and a hot chocolate and began pulling up to the next window. I saw Jon pull out his wallet, "I'll put it on your tab." I told him as I pulled out a $10 and handed it to the tired looking man in the window.

I sipped my drink the best I could without burning my tongue, hoping it would keep me awake on this silent car ride. Jon had his head against the headrest, it looked like his eyes were closed. He looked so peaceful and calm. When I was usual around Jon, he had moments when he was tense like his mind was always running, always thinking about something. Like he was trying to keep up his Captain Serious facade but I had been around him long enough to know that he takes that mask off and when he does...he's a whole new person. So carefree, so...peaceful.

Arriving at the airport, I parked the car and walked Jon in to security, "Got everything? Ticket? Passport? All that good stuff?" I checked.

"I think so. If not, you'll have to put up with me for a little longer." He joked.

"I don't 'put up with you' Jon, I 'put up' with Pat." He laughed.

"Thanks for everything Kara."

"No thank you. You came to the show and put up with all those theatre people."

"I liked seeing you in action. Reminded me of a captain I know." He said smirking.

"I promise to get my ass to a game and you can show me how a true captain works."

"Just promise I'll see you before school starts?"

"I'll do my best." Jon set closer to me, wrapping me in a hug. "I'll miss you Kara." He whispered into my hair.

"I'll miss you too Jon." He pulled his face away so he was looking at me, our arms still holding each other. "Text me when you make it home." I told him.

"I promise." And with that, his lips were on mine. He was gentle at first, waiting for me to respond before he put more pressure on my lips. God, if this was what before was going to be like, I would've made sure I made Pat's bed first. I didn't want this to end. I hadn't realized the effect Jon really had on me until this moment. I always saw Jon as a good guy and a great friend. But right now, there was something a little more to him.

As much as it pained me, I had to pull away, "You need to get going." I whispered.

"I don't want too."

"Your family is waiting for you back home."

"I can see them anytime. I don't know when I'll see you again."

"Soon, you'll see me soon." He leaned in for one more kiss then stepped back.

"I'll see you soon." He said before he turned and walked towards security. Once passed, he looked at me and waved. I watched him walk down the corridor until I couldn't see him anymore.

"You'll see him soon dear, don't worry." An older woman said beside me patting me shoulder. She gave me a reassuring smile and left.

"Soon."

----

"Kara," is that dog talking to me? "Kara.....Kara! Time to wake up!!"

I was brought out of my dream when I felt 180 pounds sit on top of me.

"Oh my god Patrick Kane! You way a thousand pounds!!" He gasped.

"Are you calling me fat?"

"YESSSSSSS!" He slid off of my and laid down on the bed. I pulled the covers over my head to block the bright light that was for some reason filling my room.

"Come on Kara, it's time to do something fun!"

"Sleep. Sleep is fun." I mumbled through the covers. Pat just let out a sigh.

"No it is not! Now come on! Your mom says you have your show tonight so we need to make the most with the time we have."

"Can't we just stay here and have fun?"

"As much fun as that sounds, I don't think so. Kara, you get to spend your day with Patrick Kane. THE Patrick Kane. Cherish these moments....they don't happen often." He told me.

"So this is the only time you're going to hang out with me?"

"Of course not! I'm just saying. Now get up! I wanna have fun!!" he said jumping off my bed and leaving the room.

I flipped the covers off my head and slowly opened my eyes, bracing them for the sun light. I found my phone on the night stand and looked at it. It read, "One new message: Jonathon Towes" I smiled as I opened the message, "Hey, I made it home as much as I wish I was with you. I hope you slept better than I did on the plane. I promise we'll see each other soon :) " I raised my hand to my lips. I could still feel his on mine.

Jonathon Toews defiantly knew how to leave an impression.

"Last call Kara or I'm getting the cold water!!!" Fucking Patrick Kane.

----

"So what are we going to do today?" Pat asked when I walked into the kitchen.

"I thought you were the one with a plan since you thought I needed to be up."

"I was bored and just wanted you to wake up."

"Gee thanks...jerk. Don't you have to train or something?"

"I already got that planned out. My trainer has friends with the Syracuse University hockey team so they're going to help me train. Already three steps ahead of you."

"And you're not starting today?"

"It's Saturday, no one works then." He said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I do. I have the show tonight."

"Okay so you have to work. But I wasn't gonna start training till Monday while you're working."

"Damn Pat, you thought a lot about this." He beamed me a proud smile. "So are you going to the show tonight? You can probably hang with me as long as you stay out of trouble."

"When am I ever in trouble?"

"Well there was that one time in Buffalo..."

"Okay, okay. I'd love to hang with you....but what do we do till then?"

"We could...putt putt...?"

"That's an excellent idea! Let's go!" Pat exclaimed jumping out of the chair he was sitting in. I kind of just starred at his sudden child-like excitement.

"Um...okay." I grabbed my wallet and keys and drove to the nearest mini gold place.

"Good thing it's not so crowded today." I said as we walked to the building where we pay to play.

"Why because people will recognize me?" Pat asked. So full of himself.

"No so I don't have to wait long." We walked up to the teenager working there and payed for two people and started on the first hole, "Age before beauty." I said to Pat. He just rolled his eyes and set his ball down.

"Be ready to be amazed by my awesome putt putt skills." He lined up his club.

"Whatever you say Superstar." He hit the ball up the small hill except....he didn't hit it hard enough. The ball came rolling back towards him, both of us just watching, "You're right...serious skills."

"Shut up that was a practice shot."

"It still counts." I mumbled as he hit the ball again getting it over the hill and near the hole. I lined up my club to the ball and hit it. the ball bounced off the wall and rolled into the hole. "Loser buys ice cream." I said walking past Pat to retrieve my ball and to the second hole.

"Not fair! You know the course!!"

The next 17 holes were close between the two of us. He'd do well at one hole, I'd do good the next. I'd make fun of him and his so called 'putt putt skills' and tell him not to quite his day job.

"Stop making fun of me!" He would whine.

"That's what happens when you gloat."

When we finished all the holes, we sat at a bunch as Pat added up the scores, "Would you like my toes to help you?"

"Leave me alone." He grumbled finally pulling out his phone and opening it to the calculator. "Well Kara I'm sorry to say...you are buying ice cream." He said.

"What? How is that possible? I did better than you! You got a 7 at one hole...the limit is 6!"

"I don't know Kara. The calculator does not lie." He grinned and stood up.

"Let me see the card!" I yelled chasing after him.

"What you don't believe me? Kara, I'm an amazing golfer. I never lose."

"Give me the card Patrick!!" He switched the card between his hands as I tried to get it. Then he stuck his right hand up in the air, clear out of my reach even if I jumped. "That's not fair! You're taller than me!"

"Then I guess you need to grow some more."

"You jerk, if you're career wasn't so important, I'd take you out at the knees. Then we'll see who's taller."

"Once again hockey saves me."

"If you're going to be like that, then I'm gonna buy me some ice cream and you can watch me eat it!"

"That's not fair!"

"Neither's lying to me!"

"Fine, fine...you won but we will have a rematch."

"Just accept you lost to a girl who's ten times better than you."

"Never!"

Patrick Kane can be a child sometimes but I wouldn't change that about him. He had me laughing the whole time. I felt so comfortable around him. I could be myself around him and even get to see him at full force. This Patrick I could get use too. The Patrick Kane that drank a lot and slept around? Not so much. If he was like how he was today all the time, he'd have all kinds of girls lined up, ones that weren't just looking for sex and 15 minutes of fame. When I first met Pat he was using his famous Patrick Kane charm but it was this Patrick Kane that...I sort of fell for.

Fell for? I can't fall for Pat. It has nothing to do with that little moment Jon and I shared earlier...okay that may be part of it but he wouldn't want a girl like me. But I could say the same thing about Jon.

But Jon and Pat are different. I think that's why they're such good friends; one is serious, the other is wild. They balance each other out like ying and yang.

I think I'm more like Jon anyways. We know how to have fun without getting drunk...but Pat's not drunk right now.

Jon his serious about his life. He knows when to buckle down and focus....I'm sure Pat does to when it comes to his career but he also knows how to find a way to bring humor into a serious time without it being too much.

Jon doesn't get into trouble....Pat doesn't want to get in trouble, he wants to change.

I can't compare these guys to each other. No matter what one has, the other has something to counter it. They are both great guys. How couldn't fall for them? I guess the question is...who am I falling for?

---

"It's alright. You fixed the problem. Just relax." Pat cooed as he massaged my shoulders.

Ever since we arrived at the theatre something went wrong. There would be holes in clothes, spills on the stage, not enough make-up. I couldn't tell you how much I wanted to rip out my hair.

It was a good thing Pat was here or I would have hurt someone. When we got here, I asked Connie if Pat could hang in the back with me, "It's alright with me. But he's your responsibility." She told me. He obliged by sitting on the sewing table as I scurried around the place fixing everything. He just sat there quietly, watching me like I was an intense game of pong.

Right now, I was sitting in front of him as he rubbed my shoulders. His hands are like magic. I leaned my head back against his legs looking up at him, "Better?" He asked.

"Much. You should do this for a living."

"Maybe when I retire." He joked.

"So I hear 'Chicago' is our next project." Connie said pulling up a chair.

"You have him to thank for that." I pointed at Pat.

"Too bad you missed 'Best Little Whorehouse in Texas'." Connie told him.

"Sounds interesting. Maybe you guys can do it again." He smirked. Connie and I laughed.

"Kara, I'm thinking about making you Assistant Costume Director for the show. Even though you practically are now. You'll just get paid a little more."

"Connie that's awesome! But I'm looking into this travel show that Dom told me about. It goes through the summer."

"My little birdie is flying the nest." Connie pretended to wipe a tear away, "That will be a great opportunity for you Kara. As much as I'd love to keep you it's what you've always wanted."

"Connie, we lost the mic tape!" Someone said over her walkie talkie. Connie rolled her eyes and stood up leaving to find the tape.

"What is it you're doing next summer?" Pat asked looking at me confused.

"Um, there's an internship with this travel company that I'm going to apply too."

"What is it?"

"We travel around the country to put on this show. Dominic is doing it and he suggested I look into it. It's what I've always wanted to do."

"That would defiantly be an adventure." I smiled at the thought.

"Yeah, it would."

"So I won't get to see you much next year." Pat mumbled. I turned in my chair so I could face him.

"You'll be so busy with hockey and winning the Cup, you won't even remember me."

"I could never forget you Kara. I guess we'll have to make the most of what's left of this year." He said with a small smile. I returned a similar smile resting my head against one of his knees. He brushed my hair back behind my ear, smoothing it out. It felt so nice I closed my eyes in comfort.

Pat was right, if I get this internship I won't get to see him much and I frowned at the thought.

But this was my dream.

He'd understand.