Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 17

"I don't want to go home." I whined as Kara and I sat in her basement starring at the TV screen.

"I'm sure your mommy misses you." I rolled my eyes. I had to head back to Buffalo to spend some time with the family and to do some hockey stuff. I honestly didn't want to leave. For the short time I was here, I had fun. I hung out with Kara everyday either at home or at the theatre. She would go to practice with me a few times or we did whatever we could in Syracuse.

"We should do something." I blurted out.

"We've done everything there is here; movies, putt putt, bowling," She listed off, "the only thing we probably haven't done is go to a baseball game."

"What? You never said anything about a baseball game." I said sitting up and looking at her.

"You never asked...why? Do you want to go?"

"Of course!"

"Then I guess we should go see if there's a game tonight." Kara said standing up. I turned off the TV and followed her up stairs to her room.

The only time I was ever in her room was to wake her up. When she sat down on her bed and opened her laptop I took the opportunity to look around at everything. There were photographs in the shape of a heart, all different of her friends and family I guessed. She had softball and soccer awards taped up next to a couple of jerseys, some with her name on it, one of Mia Hamm, and another of Jason Pominville from the Sabres. On the other wall across from her bed were posters of various shows all signed I assume by the cast and crew. Drawings of costumes, sets, and free draw pictures pinned up on the wall. She had a desk filled with sketches, lists, threads, and pictures. A book shelf beside it over flowed with books. A small TV sat on her dresser. This room portrayed Kara's life.

"Guess we're in luck. There's a game tonight at seven." I glanced at her clock next to her bed; 6:10pm. "We'll need to get going. It takes about 20 minutes to get there and we still need to buy our tickets."

"Then let's get going."

"Let me change quick." Kara said closing her laptop. I left to her to change and headed downstairs. I grabbed my wallet and my phone, one of my Blackhawk hats and a pair of sunglasses. "What do you two have planned for today?" Mrs. Harrison asked coming in from the kitchen.

"We're heading to a baseball game."

"Sounds like fun. You two better be on your best behavior." She warned.

"It wouldn't be us if we were." There were a few times Kara and I almost got into some trouble. Nothing serious but enough to embarrass her mom. I remember the one time we were at a movie and I kept asking her questions and annoying her and the people around us. The theater people came in a few times to tell us to be quiet. But Kara did get me back by filling my skates, gloves, and helmet with silly string. I might have to use that one on Sharpie.

"Pat?" I heard Kara call from the loft over the living room.

"Yes?"

"Are you wearing baggy shorts?"

"...What kind of question is that?"

"Just answer it!"

"...I guess. I don't understand what the import--" All of a sudden something landed in front of me, "Did you just throw a big bag of Skittles at me?"

"You were suppose to catch it." She said coming down the stairs.

"You couldn't warn a man about falling Skittles?" I asked picking up the bag, "And why does it matter if I have baggy shorts on?"

"We need to hide the Skittles."

"We're going to smuggle Skittles into a baseball game?" I just starred at her.

"Well yeah. It cost like $3.00 just for a small bag and I'll have to share them with you so the bigger the better." I rolled my eyes and put them in one of my side pockets.

"Alright mom, we're leaving!" Kara said grabbing her wallet and keys.

"Try not to get into trouble."

"Not making any promises." Kara called back as we walked through the front door.

The ride to the stadium was quiet between the two of us. The radio played softly in the background. Kara's phone, which was sitting in one of the cup holders beeped a few times, "Someone's Miss. Popular. Who's texting you?" I asked reaching for her phone.

"Jon." She answered just as I saw the name flash on the screen. The whole time I was with Kara I never saw her texting anyone and if she was she told me about it. Why wouldn't she tell me she was texting Jon?"

"Oh...how long have you guys been talking?"

"Um, we'd talk usually at night since we're both busy during the day." I set the phone back down and looked out the side window, "Have you been talking to him?"

"No...I haven't."

"Oh, I thought you would since you guys have a little bromance." I didn't say anything. I really just wanted to change the subject. She was suppose to be hanging out with me, not talking to Jon. I haven't talked to anyone except maybe my agent or something. "You're not mad...are you?"

"No," I said, "why would I be mad?"

"I don't know. You're not saying anything."

"It's not a big deal. Can we just drop it?" I didn't mean to snap at her. Kara did as I asked and dropped it but I felt bad for it. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to--"

"It's alright. You can make it up to me."

"How?"

"You're buying the tickets." She smirked and just like that, problem avoided.

---

"Come on! That was a strike? Where the hell is your zone Ump?......What?"

"You scare me." Kara had just realized I was looking at her wide eyed. "You may be short but you're short tempered."

"Shut up Pat. You're not any better." She said elbowing my arm.

"Girl you don't know me."

"You did not just go ghetto on me." She asked laughing. I gave her the Z-snap formation making her laugh harder. "I can't tell you the last time I laughed so hard."

"I appreciate the compliment but I'm sure you had just as much fun in like, high school." When she didn't agree with me right away I turned and looked at her. She was looking down at the water bottle she was playing with. "What?" She turned and looked at me. "Kara, what's up?"

"Nothing, it's nothing."

"It's not nothing. You got quiet all of a sudden."

"Seriously Pat, it's nothing to worry about. It's all in the past."

"What's in the past?" Then she was quiet again. "What did you not have fun in high school?" She shrugged. I turned in my seat, put on leg on my other knee, and folded my hands, "Kara, tell me about your life."

"Who was you? Dr. Phil?"

"Consider me Dr. Kane."

"God that's scary. You a doctor?"

"Come on Kara. I want to get to know you. I've known you since like May and I don't know anything about you."

"Well who's fault is that?"

"Come on, spill. What was life like before Kara Harrison met the awesome Patrick Kane?"

"Exciting, fun-filled, like a dream--"

"Now you're just being mean. I'm serious Kara, I want to know about you. Tell me about high school."

"High school was...high school. I went through the motions and couldn't wait to go to college. I was a normal kid. I played sports, did the shows, went to dances."

"Any boys?" I teased leaning on the arm rest that separated us.

"Oh dear god you're weird. Um, yeah there were boys. Not many. I wasn't very popular in school."

"That's a lie. How could you not have been popular?"

"I just wasn't. I wasn't the best at sports, I wasn't a lead in a show, I didn't get A+ grades, I wasn't the best looking, I was shy....I really didn't have a place in high school. I just went to high school, waiting for college to start." No matter what Kara said, I found it hard to believe it was true. Kara was an amazing person. Who wouldn't like her? I mean, yeah she's not the hottest girl I've seen but when did looks become everything. I was now learning that and it was Kara that was showing me. I wasn't perfect in high school. I played hockey most of the time. Hell, I'd give anything to have someone like Kara in my life before now. I wouldn't of made as many mistakes if someone was there telling me that I was fucking up. Sure there was Jon but Kara and Jon were different.

As I looked at Kara right now, I mustered over the thought that there was some reason Kara was in my life now. Meeting in Las Vegas at the NHL party, can't get anymore weirder than that. I was lucky to have her as my friend, probably one of my closest even for only knowing her for a few months. I wanted to make her happy just as she was making me happy, "Well it's all in the past. You're in college, you have a great group of friends, you're sitting next to the best hockey players ever. It's time to look towards the future." I put my arm around her shoulders pulling her as close to me as I could with the arm rest between us.

"Thanks Pat."

"Anything for you Kara."

Just as the team was getting ready for the next batter Kara turned her head at me, a confused look on her face, "What?"

"You said I was sitting next to the greatest hockey player...I don't see Sidney Crosby." And I just let my head drop as she laughed her's off.