Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 18

God I'm bored.

Ever since Pat left, I've had nothing to do. The show had wrapped up so the only thing keeping me slightly busy was the babysitting. I had no giant child to keep me company.

It didn't help that it felt like someone was poking my heart with a stick. The time Patrick was here, I knew my feelings were growing for him. He learned a lot about me. I knew I could tell him anything, I could trust him. And as much as I was falling for him, I couldn't tell if the feelings were mutual. He would flirt with me and ignore the girls that oogled him. But he made no move.

I wish I knew what was going through that head of his!

"I miss your friend. When is he coming back?" My mother asked no more than two days after he left.

"I don't know mom." I grumbled.

"He's a nice, young man. And good looking too. Why did he leave?"

"He had some hockey business to take care of."

"It's too bad he had to leave. You two seemed very close." She said nudging me, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Mother!"

"I'm just stating what I saw. I do hope he comes back though...maybe he'll bring his friend with him."

"What friend?"

"Oh, I forgot his name. Very, very handsome man. He came to the show."

"Jon?"

"Jon! That's it! Whatever happened to him?" I stood there, a blank expression on my face. Every time I thought of Jon, I thought about that kiss.

"He's home mom, enjoying his vacation."

"You should get him to come stay for a while."

"He actually wants me to visit him."

"Then what are you waiting for? Christmas? I'll go order the tickets. Where does he live?"

"Mom, I'm not just going to show up...that's weird." My mother rolled her eyes and left, mumbling something about putting a leash on a handsome man like Jon.

Jon and I talked while Pat was here. The conversations were usually just asking how the day was with the occasional request for me to visit.

Jon's ears must have been ringing because his name appeared on my phone. I got up and went to my room, out of the range of an eavesdropping mother, "Hello?"

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Pretty boring since Pat left. You?"

"Pretty busy. But I finally got a whole week to relax."

"Oo a whole week. Whatever will you do with it?" I joked.

"I was wondering if you'd like to come up then. I know I keep bothering you about it...I just miss you." I bit my lip trying to hold back a smile. "Please Kara, it would mean the world to me if you came up, even if it was only for a few days. I promise never to bug you about anything ever again." He was really trying. But what could a few days with Jon do?

"Alright."

"Really?"

"No Jon, I'm just teasing you."

"That's it, now you're coming. If you aren't here by Sunday I'll come get you myself."

"Don't try and pull out Captain Serious on me. You know that won't work." He laughed.

"I'm sorry. So will you come?"

"Sure, why not."

"Great. Let me know flight times and such when you get them and I'll pick you up when you get here." I agreed and he hung up giving me an order to get my tickets now. I couldn't help but laugh at his giddiness.

"Hey Ma! Go pull out my suitcase...I'm going to Winnipeg!"

---

Saturday morning my mom drove me to the airport. The last thing I wanted to do at five in the morning was sit in an airport but yet here I am....Jon so owes me for this.

I soon boarded my plane that was taking me to Chicago for the first stop where I'll jump on my second flight straight to Winnipeg. The trip was going to be a total of over seven hours...plenty of time to catch up on my sleep.

I found myself in Chicago's airport soon and I sat with a Starbucks hot chocolate in the terminal. I was able to get some sleep on the way here but I was still exhausted.

I texted my mom that I made it to Chicago in one piece and that I'd let her know when I was in Winnipeg. Besides her reply, I got another text, this one from Patrick, "Hey what's going on?"

"Just sitting in the Chicago airport...you know, the usual." I replied back.

"...Why are you in Chicago?"

"I'm heading to Winnipeg to visit Jon." And that was the last text I got from Pat.

---

As I headed towards the exit I spotted Jon. It wasn't hard. There are only a few people in the world that would wear a baseball cap and sunglasses inside. When he saw me, he smiled. I walk right to him and rested my head against his chest as he embraced me, "How was your flight?" He asked.

"Sleep. Now." He chuckled and tossed my carry on over his shoulder. We picked up my bag at the luggage claim and got to his car safely with no one recognizing him, or at least bringing it to attention.

"When we get back, I'll let you sleep. Then we'll head to my parents place for dinner."

"I'm meeting your parents?" I had turned my head that was still resting against the glass.

"Yeah, they're excited to meet you, especially my mom. She's surrounded by men all the time." I smiled and could understand. After spending a few weeks with Pat, I was in desperate need of a female companion.

At Jon's place, I didn't even look around the place. I just let him lead me to the guest bedroom and crashed.

---

When I woke up a few hours later I was in much need of a shower. My phone said that it was 6:27pm. Jon mentioned going to his folks place for dinner so the least I could do was look presentable. Jon and I were not a couple but that didn't mean I didn't want to make a good impression on his parents.

Quick in the shower, I dressed in a blue tie dye dress with a beading design on the front, matched with brown sandals. I curled my hair and brushed my teeth. I put light make-up on; light brown eye shadow and mascara. Glancing into the mirror, I hoped this was nice enough for a 'meet-the-parents' night.

As I walked down the hallway, I took in Jon's house. He had a few pictures hanging on the walls, most of his family and friends I didn't recognize. The front of the house was very open , the living room had a good view into the kitchen. It was defiantly a man house with a touch of motherly care. There's no way Jon would match the simple couch pillows with the color of the rug. Guys didn't think like that.

"We'll be over as soon as she's up mom, I promise....I don't understand why you're so excited to meet her. It's like you can't stand Dave and I......Well mom, I'm sorry David was a boy...." I heard Jon's voice coming from down the hall and as he emerged from, I guess, his room he saw me. Conscious of his stare, I smoothed out my dress. "Hey mom, we're gonna head out now. See you in a few."

"Ready?" I asked as he stood in front of me.

"You look great." I smiled, feeling the heat grow in my cheeks. I followed Jon back to his car and we sat quietly for the quick minutes to his parents home.

Turning off his car, Jon looked over at me with a grin, "Try not to look so serious."

"Coming from the Captain himself."

Jon took my hand as we walked through the front door. Inside it was a normal home. The sportscasters debated decisions about something, the noise of the stove fan spun in attempt to suck up the steam, the smell of chicken and cookies settled in the air of the family home.

"David, I've warned you! If you keep eating those cookies Je vais couper les doigts de réduction!" I assume whatever was said was funny since Jon was laughing.

"Mom?"

"Jon? Is that you? Montrez-moi la fille! Je veux la rencontrer!" From around the corner a woman shorter than Jon appeared. She wore a welcoming, excited smile, herhands clasp together, "Hello there. My name is Andree. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." Her French-Canadian accent was much stronger than Jon's.

"I'm Kara. It's nice to meet you."

"Jonathan talked so much about you since he's been home." I smiled and looked over at Jon and his reddening face. "Dinner is almost ready. Please make yourself at home. Jonathan, did you as if she wanted a drink? Quel genre d'un hôte êtes-vous? J'ai pensé que je vous relance mieux que ça!"

"Maman, nous y sommes allés à la porte." Then he turned to me, "Would you like anything to drink?" I chuckled and shook my head. Jon then turned and led me into the living room where two men sat studying the TV as hockey highlights played, "Dad." The older man looked over his shoulder and stood when he saw his son, "So this is the young lady you've been raving about? It's nice to put a face with a name now."

"Kara, this is my dad Bryan. Dad, this is Kara. And that loser over there is my brother David." Jon introduced and pointed to a younger man on the couch. David turned his head at the insult and did a double take when he saw me, "He's been hit one too many times in the head. Big brother tends to forget he's the loser." Jon took David in a headlock, the two of them wrestling as Bryan said, "Ignore them, please make yourself comfortable." He gestured to the room, smiling. I walked around the Toews brothers and sat in the middle of the couch as Bryan returned to his seat in the recliner. Soon the brothers joined me on the couch, one of each side, "So Kara, where did you pick up this bum?" David asked, a thumb pointing at his brother.

"We met at the NHL awards."

"Interesting. How did you meet there?"

"I first met Patrick who introduced me to Jon." I noticed David lift an eyebrow at his brother who just shook his head.

"Dinner is ready!" Jon's mom called out. The four of us got up and sat at the small table, natural built for only four but there sat five place settings. I took the place beside Jon, his mom to my left. Mr. Toews started with the bowl of hot pasta and passed it to Jon.

"So Kara, Jonathan says that you're into theatre." Andree started.

"Um, yes. I'm majoring in theatre."

"And you just finished up a show?"

"Yes. I work with a performing group back home. We just finished 'West Side Story'." Mrs. Toews let out a dreamy sigh.

"Such a romantic show. Do you perform?"

"Oh no, I'm do more of the backstage stuff."

"Like what?"

"I've made various costumes, set design, prop making, organizing. I've done a little bit of everything." Finishing my answer I went to take a bit of the delicious smelling food when David asked, "Do you like hockey?"

"Um, yeah I like it."

"You don't sound convincing." He said with a smirk.

"Do you have a favorite team?" Mr. Toews added. If Jon didn't bring home many girls home, I think I understand why.

"She likes the Sabres." Jon answered for me, obviously seeing that I needed some help.

"The Sabres? Why them?" David asked, his brow pulled together.

"A friend of mine is a fan so I guess it just rubbed off on me."

"Are you from Buffalo?" Mr. Toews asked.

"No, Syracuse but I go to school in Rochester which is more of a hockey town than Syracuse." The family nodded and we continued our meal with light talking.

When we finished, I helped Mrs. Toews clean up, complimenting on her meal, "It's one of Jon's favorites. Not that there's many meals he doesn't like..." She continued of telling me stories of Jon and David when they were younger, always keeping me laughing and reminding myself to remember some of these embarrassing moments.

In the living room, the conversations went on. Sometimes there were questions about my home life; my family, babysitting, school. But with all the questions there were firing at me, I knew they were trying to make sure I wasn't some puck bunny. With the answers I was giving them, I hoped known of them made me sound like a bad person. They were looking out for Jonathan. I respected that.

The night was coming to an end and Jon decided it was late enough to start ending home, "You just don't want us asking her more questions." Mrs. Toews teased, "It was very nice to meet you. I hope you won't be a stranger while you're here." She told me, giving me a departing hug. When she stepped back, Mr. Toews wrapped an arm around her.

"If you ever get tired of this guy, let me know. I'm not as serious as he is." David joked.

"I'll keep that in mind." We waved our last good bye and got in Jon's car. I was physically drained from today. Even with that nap I wanted nothing more than to sleep.

"I'm sorry they were throwing questions at you. It's not everyday I bring a girl home." Jon said over the soft playing music coming from the radio.

"It's alright. I understand. They're just looking out for you." I smiled, "I just hope I didn't let them down if they were picturing something else."

"I'm sure you passed the test."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter. Sorry it took a while. I started thinking about my other story when someone asked for me to update it. So now I've got to hopefully active stories going. On top of that I have another idea for another one but if I start on that will never finish the two I've already got! Plus I've been trying to read more stories in books and less on the computer haha can't get enough of those hockey men ;) I'm hoping these books will inspire less boring chapters make you all happy :) I apologize now if I don't update right away and if I've been spelling Jonathan's name wrong. I feel horrible now. I know a Jonathon that spells it like that instead of Jonathan. Honest mistake, but if I'm wrong again let me know so I can stop acting like an idiot.

Thanks for reading!