Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 20

Buzz....Buzz...Buzz....

"Hello?"

"Kara we've got our show for the fall."

You've got to be kidding me? "Jesus Christ Julia, don't you know what time it is?"

"It's 9:45. Unless Syracuse has a different time zone, you should be awake."

"I'm not in Syracuse."

"Then where are you?"

"...Winnipeg."

"Winnipeg...what?"

"Canada."

"Kara Harrison! What are you doing in Canada?"I let out a sigh and told her the whole story from Vegas to now. Julia wasn't too happy that I left her out of the equation but I simply forgot, "You owe me you jerk!" I smiled and told her I'd make it up back at school. In the past year that I've known Julia, I know how to make her happy. She is my best friend up at college and we know everything about each other. "So back to why you called me..."

"Oh right. So this fall we are doing...'Grease'! I'm so excited! Defiantly a change for the historical shows we've done."

"Did they assign jobs?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"Of course. And we got costumes, as usual. Janet and Stella are helping. The freshmen will be the Go-Fors. I'm so happy we didn't have to do that last year."

"That's because we knew how to work a sewing machine." I commented.

"Anyways, they seperated the jobs by characters. Janet said she'll shop for the jeans and shirts for the men, Stella will shop for the women, so that leaves us with the jackets and the big dance, plus the fair scene. Want anything in particular?"

"I'll take the T-Bird jackets and the women's outfits for the dance and the fair." I told her.

"Sounds like a plan. I'll get back to others and let them know and I'll tell Sofia what we got."

"I'll start the designs and have them ready for school."

"Fantastic. Thanks babe. Can you maybe have one of the jackets made up for school?"

"Um, yeah I'll try. I'll fit it for Jake, I'm sure he'll get Danny."

"Probably. He's a dream boat."

"Go take a cold shower. I'll send you pictures of what I got."

"Alrighty. Talk to you later. Tell Jonny Toews I said hi."

"No promises."

"Come on Kara! That's not fai-" I rolled my eyes and hung up on her. I laughed when I got the 'bitch' text from her, but that's how we work.

I tossed my phone at the foot of the bed and closed my eyes. Fucking Julie. Now I can't get back to sleep. I hate it when that happens. I suppose I could get up and start working...and just when I thought I had a break.

I got up and dressed in a bathing suit with a pair of shorts. I unwrapped my hand which thankfully didn't look as red and blistering as it did yesterday. That's my drawing, stitching, sewing hand.

I grabbed my notebook, iPod, and a towel and headed outside. It was cool outside since it was early but with the sun shinning brightly, it'll get warmer. I strolled off the back deck down to the dock, lying my towel down and tuning the world out.

When it comes to my designing, I'm in my own little world. I picture each costume; every detail, every line, every color. I combine original designs with those from movies or different shows. I've gotten use to just drawing up ideas either for fun or to present to a director. This is my forth notebook. I've drawn costumes from all types of themes and eras; "Les Miserables" to "Seussical: The Musical". I go through lists of shows and just create, prepared for any play that's brought to me.

Not many can appreciate the work that goes into bringing a show to life. Some only see the actors but if you look closely at the set designs, costumes, lights, sound...there's a shit load of work to be done! Because I'm not on stage, I bring the show to life through costumes. I make the audience and the actors feel like everything is real; the bright colors, the beauty or craziness, all done for the audience.

When I finished the jacket design, I scanned it over taking notes, making changes. Two drawings of a male figure posed in the middle of the page; one facing forward dressed in his jeans, shirt, and leather jacket, the second turned around giving view of the T-Bird symbol. I left notes and reminders on the margins on the page so when I went to start the jacket I had the size and layout for it. I took a picture of the jacket on my phone and sent it to Julia and Sofia, the Backstage teacher in charge of everything.

With the first plan done, I turned to the next page and recreated past dresses I remembered in the closet. I added some details or took away some so it didn't seem like I was using the exact same dress. The lead characters were made to stand out and that's what I'm going to do.

I was on a roll with the designs. It might be because no one was around and I could focus on my work. In the past, people would constantly bother me when I was working. Some were so bad, I would mess up on a drawing, forget what I was doing, and bang my head against the table trying to bring back the idea. Last year we were on a deadline and needed a last minute costume from scratch. I was in the middle of working when someone asked me to fix another costume. I lost my train of thought and blanked out trying to remember what I was just doing. Julia was just as furious as I was because of the time. She ended up getting me a 'Do Not Disturb' sign and hung it up when I was working. It was a little ridiculous but the incident never happened again...go figure.

"Kara? What are you doing?" I pulled my headphones and looked over my shoulder to see Jon.

"Drawing." I answered. He walked closer to me and bent over to see my pictures.

"Must be an intense drawing. I was calling you for like five minutes. So what is that?"

"A costume. Got a call this morning for the fall show."

"What is it?"

"'Grease'."

"Oo, don't tell my mom. She loves that movie."

"Maybe she could help me. I need to look for some material."

"I'm sure she'd love too. So, if you're not too busy, would you like to go around the lake?"

"I get to see the famous Lake Toews?" Jon laughed.

"It is pretty awesome." He joked. I smiled, closed my book and gathered my stuff. I followed Jon to the boat house and waited in the boat as he set it in the water and backed it out. I know nothing about boats so it was better for me to stay away from doing anything. Last time I raised a boat out of the water with that crank thingy it made a really bad noise and it wouldn't move. But you can't blame me. My family never had the boat and lake house thing. If I was near a lake, I was with a friend and their family. But right now...I wanted one.

I sat at the front of the speed boat, the wind blowing in my hair. Very cliche but it just went with what's going on. The sun beat down, drying the splashed water on my arms. I gazed at the huge houses along the shoreline, picking out what ones I wish I could have. I had to give up because they were all amazing.

When we passed other boats, I waved totally feeling like the frickin' queen of England. God this is awesome!

I didn't realize that we had gotten back to Jon's place until the boat slowed down to a stop. I turned and looked at Jon thinking something was wrong.

"David's joining us, if you don't mind." He explained.

"Of course not." I replied.

"Great. We're gonna hang here till he graces us with his presence." I nodded.

While we waiting, I thought I could get a little tanning in. So I laid down my towel on the bench and stripped my shirt off and stretched out. The sun was so warm against my skin. Hopefully I'll be able to get some tan before I go back to school and turn white again.

If this is how the rich live, sign me up! I could so get use to this.

"Damn." I turned my head and saw David standing at the door of the boat looking at me. I really hope my face is sunburned so they don't see me blushing. "Did that come with the boat or was it purchased separate?" He asked Jon, both of them looking at me.

"Nice to see you too David." I said sitting up. Jon smiled and started the boat back up. I didn't realize he had taken his shirt off...now it is obvious I know he took his shirt off because I'm positive I'm starring at him...Sweet Jesus.

"So Kara," David yelled over the roar of the wind and engine of the boat, "How've you been?"

"I've been good, David. How've you been?"

"I'm dandy. Has Jon been a gracious host?" I glance over at Jon who was shaking his head.

"He's been a wonderful host."

"Good, good. Don't want you not coming back because Jonny here wasn't treating you right. Now Kara...got anyone special waiting for ya back home?"

"...no."

"No boyfriends?"

"No boyfriends."

"No line of men waiting to win your heart?"

"Not that I know of."

"Good, good." I chuckled, a tad confused why we were suddenly curious about my dating life. "Now, you're good friends with Pat?" He continued.

"Um, yeah I guess."

"Have you talked to him lately?"

"Before I got here, but he hasn't texted me back since." David's eyebrow rose. "But I'm sure he's just busy. He had hockey stuff to take care of." I added.

"Yes, I'm sure that's what it is. So I was talking to Jon and we were thinking you could use a ladies day. Jon said you needed to look for stuff for your show. Our mom could help you."

"Um, that'd be great."

"I know Mom would love to get to know you more."

"I'm sure that'd be fun." I said, trying to convince myself.

I mean, unless you want to go fishing with the big boys..."

"I'm not a big fish person."

"Then I'll let mother know." I smiled and turned in my seat.

Suddenly I was nervous to spend the day with Mrs. Toews. I mean, she's very nice but...it's Jon's mom. and it would just be the two of us.

"Hey Kara," Jon said "Wanna drive the boat?" I smiled and jumped up. I stood in front of Jon, his sun warmed chest pressed against my back. His hands were on mine as I steered. I glanced over my shoulder and smiled at Jon. David had a sly grin on his face.

Whatever was on David's mind wasn't going to bother me. I'm having the time of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one was just a filler. Something to introduce Kara's college friend. Thanks for reading. I appreciate it :)

How many days till hockey season?