Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 23

"Rain makes corn. Corn makes whiskey. Whiskey makes my baby feel...a little frisky."

"Who's been giving you whiskey?" I asked. Julia was in the costume closet finishing up on her last Pink Ladies jacket. Unlike me, Julia works better with singing and dancing. I'm surprised she hasn't pricked her finger yet with all the dancing I saw.

"Maybe you need some. Why are you so tense?"

Hell yeah I was tense. I'd been tense since my first class.

"Kara, what's going on?"

"Henry found me."

"That fucktard. What does he want now?" Julia said like his name was poisonous.

Henry was the biggest ass I'd ever met...and he's my ex-boyfriend.

"I don't know. He saw me and had that smirk he always has."

"The one where he's practically undressing you?" I nodded, "That guys a creep."

I had met Henry last year and he was a charmer. And I fell for it. I don't know if it was his handsome looks, him being a junior at the time, or the way he treated me but I fell and I fell hard. He was taking classes to become a director and I had met him by doing the shows and working with him. But apparently I wasn't the only one that used his charm on.

Julia had come to me one day saying that he was hitting on her. When she said that he was dating me, he said, "Didn't stop me with the others." And I ended it right after. When I confronted him about it, he didn't deny it. He just shrugged and walked away. I was a mess after that. I didn't talk to anyone, I didn't eat. I just worked hoping it would keep my mind off of Henry...it didn't. I was a silly freshmen that was asking to be hurt I guess and since then I hadn't been in a relationship. Any guys I became friends with, I kept it at that. Friends.

Patrick was the first guy since that I actually started having feelings for a guy again. Jon was the first guy since Henry that kissed me. Was I setting myself up for the same pain? Probably.

"Just ignore him Kara. If he gives you any trouble, I'll kick his ass. If that isn't good enough, I'll sick Jon or Pat on him." Julia said.

"I don't care. That guy ruined any future relationships I was going to have."

"That's not true. Jonathan isn't anything like that guy."

"I'm not dating Jon, Julia." She rolled her eyes.

"Fine. Well, Pat isn't...well unless he's cleaned up his act, he's not like fucktard."

Fuck...I would have feelings for another guy like Henry. But Patrick isn't completely like that...right? I'm not just gonna ask him, that's fricking weird. But Pat parties and drinks and has sex with a lot of girls. He couldn't keep a real relationship if he tried.

But the Patrick I know....he's a complete 180 from Henry.

"Kara, we're gonna need you to fit the girls for their dresses." Sofia said walking into the closet. I nodded and started laying out the dresses as the girls came in.

I was measuring a senior when I overheard a couple of freshmen talking, "Did you see him? He's so hot. I'm meeting him after this."

"You're so lucky. It's not fair that he's that sexy. What is his name again?"

"Henry." The first one said with a dreamy sigh. I quickly finished the senior and moved on to the freshman.

"You talking about Henry Freeman?" I asked quietly to her, keeping the conversation between us.

"That's the one. Do you know him?"

"...Yeah."

"Isn't he just drop dead gorgeous?"

"Look, I'm gonna give you some advice. I don't care if you follow it or not but don't say you weren't warned; He's playing you. If you fall for him, you're just going to be another notch on his belt." She gave this disgusted look.

"Are we finished here?" She asked, attitude obvious in her voice. I noted her sizes and let her go, her friend following soon after.

"She'll learn." Julia said behind me.

------------

"Dude, I'm thinking about inviting Kara to one of our games." I said as I sat next to Jon after a game.

"I already did." I paused and looked at him.

"When did you talk to her?"

"Last night. But I asked her to come to Chicago for a game during her break. She's gonna bring her roommate."

"Why didn't you say anything to me?" He shrugged.

"Why is it a big deal." Why was it? I knew she was friends with Jon, I just didn't know that they were that close. Sure, she visited him but so what? But why would she plan to come to Chicago with Jon when I said the exact same thing? Why is Tazer even asking her to come? She's my friend.

"Tazer, Kaner, you guys coming out with us?" Sharpie asked us. Jon shook his head no, as usual.

"Yeah I'm coming." I answered. For some reason, I needed a drink. I needed to forget about Kara and Jon and just get laid. The past month or so I had let up on the drinking and sex. Now, that's all I wanted.

I showered and changed back into my suit. As I packed everything up, my phone went off, "Great game! Tell Sharpie nice goal." That's all? That's all Kara has to say? I played fucking awesome and she wants to compliment Sharpie? Fuck that.

When I turned to walk away from my stall, I saw Jon texting, a smile on his face.

Of course she'd text him. Am I not good enough now?

"Come on Kaner! We don't got all night!" Sharpie yelled.

I stormed out the locker room, leaving Jon and Kara behind me.

-------------------------

"Great game! Nice assist Captain :) " I sent to Jon.

"Great game! Tell Sharpie nice goal!" I sent to Patrick.

Only Jon responded, "Thanks. Did you watch it?"

"Of course not...the Sabre's were playing :P "

"Haha gee thanks :P "

"Maybe if you score a goal, I'll consider watching"

"Fine. Next goal is for you ;) " I smiled.

"What's that grin for?" Julia asked. I hadn't realized she was starring at me as I texted Jon.

"Nothing."

"Bullshit it's nothing. What did Captain Dreamboat say now?"

"He said the next goal he scores is for me."

"Aww that's so sweet!" Then she started hacking.

"I'm gonna tell him you're jealous and want a goal."

"You better not." I gave her an evil smirk and started texting it. Julia jumped off the bed very ungraceful like and charged for me.

"Too late. Already sent." I told her. We both waited for the reply.

"Then I'll score 2 ;) " He said. Of course we both let out a ear piercing squeal.

"Did you text Patrick?" Julia asked.

"Yeah but he hasn't text me back yet."

"Doesn't he usually?" I nodded. Why wouldn't Patrick text me back? Jon is so it's obvious that all the media stuff is done since Jon is usually the last person to walk out the locker room. "Don't worry about it Kara. I'm sure he's just excited with the win and all." I nodded and we both went back to our homework.

"Kara, what are we gonna do for Halloween?" Julia asked out of the blue a couple seconds later.

"That was random."

"I just thought of it. You know Janice is having a party and she invited us. Wanna go?"

"Sure."

"Awesome. We need to come up with amazing costumes."

"We'll go shopping Friday." I said to her. She smiled and looked back at her books.

I love Halloween. My parents were big in the holiday so of course it was a big deal to me. Besides the amazing amounts of candy I get, I love to just dress up. Last year was the first time I could actually dress up sexy like since my parents couldn't see me...Julia's a bad influence sometimes. But last year I was in a relationship so I had to be carefully with what I wore. This year I could give a flying fuck. If Julia and I are going to dress up, we're gonna be hot!

Now it's just coming up with an idea...

---

"Julia, these costumes suck! We'd be better off just making our own." I whined. We'd been wandering the costume store at the mall and we were turning up empty. The ones we like, didn't have our sizes, others were just dumb, and they were extremely pricey.

"We need to come up with something no one would do." She said flipping through the same rack of costumes for the fourth time. I rested my head against my arms as I leaned on the rack. I was about ready to fall asleep when I heard Julia gasp, "I know the perfect idea." I looked up at her and raised an eyebrow. She grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the costume store.

"Julia, what is going on in that head of yours."

"I know the perfect costume that no one would do."

"...Are you gonna fill me in?"

"No, you're just going to have to go with it."

"That's not fair."

"Too bad."

So that day we traveled all over the Rochester area to get our stuff. I wasn't quite sure what was going on but I let Julia lead the way. If she put it in my hand, I bought it without question. Some of the stuff she bought, she wouldn't let me see which just scarred me even more.

Julia can be evil sometimes.

---

Saturday morning, I went in to work on the costumes for the shoe while Julia stayed back and worked on our costumes for tonight.

"Kara, you going to Janice's party?" Steven, one of the actors I was fitting, asked.

"Yeah. Are you?"

"Wouldn't miss it. What are you gonna be?"

"I have no idea. Julia's making the costumes as we speak."

"I'm scared for you." I laughed.

By the time I got back to the dorm, it was 5:30, "I'm starving Julia. Let's get dinner."

"Stay right there! Don't get any closer!!" She yelled at me. I froze and waited behind the door as she shuffled around making all kinds of noises. When she was done she opened the door out of breath.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm finished with the costumes so you'll have to wait till after dinner to see it." I smiled at her enthusiasm.

We finished eating and came back to shower and get ready, "I'll do your hair and make-up." Julia ordered.

"I don't know if I trust you." She rolled her eyes and told me to blow dry my hair. After She sat me in the room with 2 different sized curling irons, a straightener, bobbi pins, 3 cans of hairspray, 2 cans of glitter spray, and her giant bag of make-up. She blasted her iPod as she went to work on my hair, straightening it and curling different pieces. She pinned back the sides then put a giant whole in the o-zone layer with all the hair spray she used. Next came the glitter spray.

With my hair in place, she began painting on my make-up. I felt like I had an extra layer of skin on. She colored my eyes, used mascara, eyeliner, foundation, blush, more glitter, and lipstick.

When she finished, she allowed me to look in the mirror, "Holy shit Julia! What did you do to me?"

"Wait till you put on the costume." She went to her closet and pulled out a pair of red high heels, short ass black shorts, and the smallest T-shirt in the world. When she held up the shirt, I started laughing, not believing this, "You're kidding right?"

"Nope. My dear Kara...we're gonna be puck bunnies."

"I'm not wearing that."

"Oh come on! You said you wanted to be sexy!"

"There's a difference between sexy and slutty!" I pointed out.

"It's just for one night and it'll be fun."

"Why do I have to be a Blackhawk puck bunny?"

"Because I'm a Sabre's puck bunny."

"We both could have been a Sabre."

"But Jonny's feeling would be hurt if you weren't a Blackhawks bunny."

"Jon's not seeing this."

"Oh yes he is."

"Oh no he's not."

"Kara, you know he's gonna ask you about it and you're going to tell him. Why not give him something to look at?"

"You're fucking ridiculous."

"Just put the goddamn outfit on and be happy!" She ordered before she went to get ready herself. I let out a sigh and got changed.

Julia must have forgotten my size when she picked this stuff out because my ass was almost hanging out of the shorts and the shirt was just above my belly button. The shirt was so tight across my chest I thought the girls would fall out if I made the wrong move. I surprised the Blackhawk symbol on the front didn't come apart. The red heels didn't help either.

"Kara...you look fucking hot." Julia said when she stepped out of the bathroom. She was dressed similar expect with a blue Sabre's shirt and blue heels. When she walked by me, I noticed the back design, "You put Derek Roy's name and number on the back?"

"Of course. I even put Tazer's name and number on the back of yours." My eyes widened and I raced to the mirror looking at the name and number on my back.

"Seriously Julia!"

"Kara, calm the fuck down. You look hot. I wouldn't be surprised if Jon got on the next flight here to see you."

"Whatever. Are you ready to go?"

"Nope, you're not finished yet." She handed me a pair of bunny ears and tail. At this point I've given up. There's no turning back now. When she put her bunny parts on, she added some war paint to my cheeks, "Now you're done. Kara...damn."

Just go along with it, I repeated to myself.

Julia pulled out her camera and started taking pictures of both of us before we left for the party.

By the time we got there, the party was in full swing. When we walked in the door, boys let out low whistles and complimented us on costume well done.

"Ladies, if I wasn't gay, I'd be all over you right now." Gary said taking a picture with us.

Maybe with a drink in my hand, this won't be so bad.

I felt my phone vibrate and say I got a text from Jon, "Hey, how's your halloween going?"

"You don't believe what Julia made me dress up to be." I replied.

"Haha, what?"

"A puck bunny."

"I've got to see that."

"I don't think so."

"Please? :( " I rolled my eyes. I was not about to embarrass myself by sending a picture of me. Before I could respond Jon sent me another text, this time with a picture, "I sent you mine. Let me see yours." I laughed. Jon had sent me a picture of him and Sharpie dressed as Mario and Luigi, mustaches and all.

"That's too funny. I don't think I can compete with that."

"Come on Kara, please."

"Fuck it." I mumbled. "Julia! I need a picture!" She came to my side instantly, ready to pose. I handed my phone to some guy in my Staging class and asked him to take a picture. "Thank you." I said and saved the picture.

"Are you sending that to Jon?" I nodded and she squealed with joy.

"He's taking a while to respond." Julia said after about five minutes, "I bet he's showing all his friends."

"He better as hell not!" And just on cue, Jon responded back.

"......I think you guys win best costume."

"That picture better be deleted Jonathan Toews! >:( I have your mother's phone number."

"Haha alright, I'll delete it."

"Thank you :P "

--------------------------------------

I'm so not drunk enough. I don't think I'm even buzzed. Everyone looked like they were having a good time at Sharpie's party...except me. I hadn't been in the best of moods since the other day. I never responded to Kara and I was starting to feel bad. She was just trying to be nice and I was being an ass.

Man, I wish she was here right now. I wanted to text her, to tell her the party was lame without her. I wanted to ask her what she was doing but I didn't. My phone was dead. So I sat at the bar with a beer in hand.

"Enjoying yourself Kaner?" Jon asked sliding onto the stool next to me.

"I'm the life of the party."

"Yeah I can tell. We might have to cut you off if you're going to be this energetic." He joked.

"Hey can I borrow your phone? Mine died like an hour ago?" I asked. He pulled it out of his pocket and handed it to me.

"Tazer, you gotta see this!" Someone yelled from across the room.

"I'll give it back when I'm done." He nodded walked over to where he was called.

I went to Jon's messages to start a new one when I noticed that he had been texting Kara. I glanced over my shoulder to see Jon busy talking to someone and opened the messages.

"Haha alright, I'll delete it." Was the last thing he sent to her. Delete what? I scrolled through the messages reading them until the next one I found was a picture.

It was of Kara and another girl dressed fucking sexier than hell.

Why the fuck would she send him this picture? That outfit is totally revealing and Jon was the one with a picture of it. Fucking bastard. I kept going through the messages and saw he asked her for a picture. At first, she resisted. Then why did she send it? Why didn't I get the picture?

I closed out of his messages and stormed over to him, shoving the phone in his chest. Everyone watched what I did and then slam the door on the way out.

If that's how she's going to be then fine.

Two can play at that game.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my goodness, 2 chapters! Yeah so this one probably isn't that great but I guess I just wanted to get it out of the way. It will actually help me to get into the core of the story.

Totally understandable if it wasn't your favorite. Not mine either, but I thought we'd get through it together.

More to come I promise! Probably not tonight but soon.

Thanks for reading again!