Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 24

"Don't these people know there's a Sabre's game on right now!? And I'm missing it!" I shook my head at her.

The two of us were sitting in the audience in the way back watching the rehearsals and it was going on forever. I remembered to bring some homework to do but Julia didn't think we'd be here this long. The two leads were both sick...ironic right? Well they were both out and the director and Henry were just reading the lines but they were getting just as frustrated as we were.

"I can't do this anymore! I need to be directing, not acting. Someone else needs to do this."The director yelled. He turned and looked off stage, into the crowd. "You!"

"Oh shit!" Julia ducked leaving me the only one visible.

"Come here!" He ordered.

"You're a jerk and I hate you!" I hissed at Julia as she snickered from under the seat. I stormed up the aisle and to the stage.

"Can you read?" The director asked.

"...yeah?"

"Can you sing?"

"I guess."

"Good enough. Take this," he pushed the script in my hands "Read and sing. Do your own dancing. Action!" I stood there pretty much scared. This isn't what I signed up for.

I looked down at my script. "Summer Nights" was the scene...great. I followed the other actresses to the picnic bench and sat down, waiting for Sandy's part to come on. When the lines switched over to the guys, the whole Henry filling in for Danny had totally slipped my mind.

Soon enough the music started and I was doing my best not to feel scared when I sang. This was defiantly not my area of expertise. I'm just glad I've watched enough rehearsals to get the swing of things. I did my best at remembering the Sandy's moves. I obviously wasn't paying too much attnetion because at the end of the song, I was face to face with fucktard. I couldn't break character so I kept going. Fucktard on the other hand sent me a smirk. It got bigger when the song ended.

"Thank the Lord! Now that's what I call a performance. We'll end it on a good note. Everyone is dismissed." Mr. Director said from his spot in the audience.

"Hi Kara." Fucktard said with that fake charm.

"Fuck off." I spit and walked to my things by Julia.

"Excuse me," I stopped, "And why aren't you in my show?" Mr. Director asked.

"I'm not much of an actor." I said.

"With a little training you could be. Who are you?"

"Kara Harrison."

"And what is it you do, Kara Harrison?" He removed his glasses from the tip of his nose, looking me up and down.

"I mostly do the costumes but I've worked with everything."

"Except acting?" I nodded. "Well Kara Harrison, the next show I direct, you better be at auditions."

"Yes sir."

"Kara...that was awesome...when did you learn to sing?"

"Shut the fuck up Julia. It's your fault I had to go up there." I snapped, sliding my backpack over my shoulder.

"You know if I went up there, they would've just put me out of my misery."

"You made me go up there and Henry was there. You totally did it on purpose." She chased after me out of the auditorium, catching up to me.

"Fine, I'm sorry. I'll buy you an ice cream."

".....I want bubblegum ice cream." She laughed.

"Alright."

"Hey Kara." Julia and I stopped in our tracks at the sound of his voice.

"What do you want fucktard?" Julia asked once he caught up to us.

"I want to talk to Kara...alone."

"Oh hell no. Whatever it is you have to say--"

"It's fine. I'll catch up to you." I told Julia. She starred at me before walking off.

"You look great. Did you do something different?" He causualy asked.

"Yeah, I got rid of you as a boyfriend."

"Aw come on Kara, are you really going to hold that against me? That was last year."

"What do you want, Henry?"

"I wanted to see if you'd go out with me this weekend." I laughed and left him to meet with Julia, but he came after me. "Kara, you know you felt something for me on that stage. And you do right now too."

"The only thing I feel right now is kicking you in the balls."

"Just let it go Kara. I'm a better man now."

"Ha! I know full well you're still using women. I want nothing to do with you Henry." I turned to leave again but Henry grabbed my wrist, holding tight. He pulled me into his chest.

"You know you liked it Kara. I know you still think about me. Stop this little charade and go out with me." I felt his other hand grip my waist and move down.

"Let go of me Henry." I whispered, venom in my voice.

"Just one little kiss Kara." He leaned forward but I turned my face. His hand came up to my cheek and forced to me look him in the eyes, "You shouldn't have done that." Like a sign from God, my phone rang. Henry pushed me away, "You'll come back to me Kara. I plan on it." And he stalked off.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and answered it. "Kara, are you okay?"

"Jon?"

"Yeah. Kara, you sound shaken. Everything alright?"

"Um...yeah I'm fine. Just tired is all. What's up?" I asked, changing the subject.

"I just wanted to call now because I won't be able to after the game."

"Oh that's right. You guys are in Vancouver right?"

"Yeah and we'll be gone a week and a half."

"You'll guys will do great."

"Thanks. How was your day?"

"Busy with work and the show."

"When do you guys do the show?"

"In December right before break."

"You and Julia still interested in coming to Chicago for a little while?"

"Of course." I smiled. Just the thought of traveling with Julia and seeing Jon and Pat again is defiantly how I'd like to spend my break.

"Are you guys done with school by the 18th?"

"I believe so."

"Well, we play in Pittsburgh if you guys want to go to that game and fly back to Chicago with us."

"Jon that would be absolutely amazing. I'll talk to Julia about it and get back to you."

"Great. I need to get going. I'll text you when I can."

"Don't worry about it Jon. Just play well and score some goals."

"Always do."

"And don't forget to kick their asses."

"How could I forget?" He joked.

"Alright Jon. Good luck and tell Patrick I said good luck. He hasn't been answering my texts lately."

"Really? That's weird. But I'll tell him. See ya." I smiled and hung up.

"What took you so long? I was ready to go out there and beat his head in." Julia said handing me my ice cream.

"Jon called."

"Oo, what did Jonny Boy have to say?"

"He just wanted to call now and talk 'cause he might not be able to later. He even asked if we wanted to meet them in Pittsburgh and fly back to Chicago with him on our break."

"Seriously? Best idea ever! So can we?"

"I can if you can."

"Looks like we're stopping at Pittsburgh. Did you talk to Pat?"

"Um, no. He hasn't responded to any of my texts."

"Jerk. What's up his butt?" I shrugged. Just when I thought things were better between Patrick and I, he doesn't respond to me. But it doesn't make sense that Jon has time to call and text me but Pat doesn't. "Forget him Kara. He's an idiot."

If only it was that easy.

-------------------------------------

"Happy Birthday Patrick." The blonde on my right whispered into my ear. The feel of her breath in my ear was not as hot as I'm sure she thought it was.

That or I'm not drunk enough yet.

Due to our long road trip, I had to spend my birthday in Edmonton. And at this very moment, I could care less if I was turning 23...I did not want to be in Edmonton.

We had won our game obviously against the Oilers but I had played like shit. And it wasn't just this game I was doing bad in, it was the same at the ones before it. I wasn't on my game and everyone noticed.

"Kaner, you need to loosen the fuck up. What's going on in that head of yours, forget it and have fun." Brent said slapping my back.

"I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me."

"Neither do we but you better figure it out soon. We need you kid."

I know I was letting the team down because of how I was playing. I wasn't being myself but I just couldn't shake whatever was bothering me.

"Hey handsome." Something must seriously be wrong with me. Blonde hair, dark eyes, her tits just covered by her shirt, legs a mile long under that "skirt"...and I feel nothing.

"Hey."

"You look lonely. Want to come back to my place? I'll keep you company."

"Um, no thanks. I'm gonna get going." Her jaw dropped slightly in disbelief. I set my glass on the bar and made my way out of the bar. I got a cab and just headed straight to my room back at the hotel.

When I walked into the room, Tazer was sitting on his bed phone stuck to his head, "Yeah Kaner just walked in." I ignored him taking my shoes off and falling face first onto my bed.

"Hey?" I looked up as Jon stood next to me, handing me his phone. I set it against my ear, "Hello?" Jon walked away, shutting the bathroom door behind him.

"A little birdie told me it was your birthday. Happy Birthday." Just the sound of her voice made every muscle in my body relax.

"Thanks Kara."

"Great game too. You did well." Yeah, right.

"Thanks." I heard the water to the shower turn on.

"Everything okay Pat? You seem down."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Exhausted."

"I understand. Get some sleep. At least your next game isn't until the 23rd."

"You know my schedule pretty well."

"I gotta keep with you guys. I like watching you guys play...when Julia let's me." I laughed.

"I hear you're coming to Chicago."

"December 20. I'll see you in Pittsburgh. I can't wait to see you again Patrick."

"I can't wait to see you too. It's been long."

"Too long. So how is the life of Patrick Kane?"

"Oh you know me. Just super busy."

"It must be so tough for you."

"I'm just so ready to be back home again."

"You will soon. Once you kicked everyone's ass, you can go home." I smiled. It was quiet, neither of us sure what to say.

"I miss you Kara." I practically whispered. I'm surprised she even heard me.

"I miss you too Patrick." She said sincerely. I really did miss her. I miss the times we had during the summer; so carefree and fun. She had become one of my best friends in those months. Now here we are, miles between us and I'd been an ass to her. She'd try and talk to me, before and after games but I didn't budge. I ignored her.

I'm such an ass.

"I should let you go. You need your beauty rest." She joked.

"I got all the beauty I need."

"There's the Patrick Kane I know. I was starting to get worried I'd lost him."

"I'm sorry Kara."

"I know. Don't worry about it. Just go out there and score some goals. I want a Stanley Cup Patrick Kane."

"I thought you wanted the Sabres to win the Cup." I retorted.

"You're right. Well at least get to the finals and we'll see how it goes."

"If I win the Cup, what do I get?"

"Your picture on magazines, girls throwing themselves at you, TV publicity...the list goes on Pat."

"No, if I win the Cup, what are you going to do?"

"Well, if you win the Cup, I might be happy for you."

"That's not what I meant Kara."

"Okay, okay. Tell me what you want Patrick."

"I'll let you know when I think of something." She laughed.

"Oh boy. Alright well I'll let you go. I have early rehearsals tomorrow. You're flying tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

"Have a safe flight. Text me sometime. I miss talking to you."

"I will I promise."

"Good. Sweet dreams Pat."

"Sweet dreams Kara." She said goodbye and I tossed Jon's phone on his bed.

How can I ever be mad at her? This just proves that I've won the biggest jerk in the world award. When I think about the things I've done and said because I was mad at her were ridiculous. Though she'll never know any of it, I know Kara will always be there for me.

And just that thought promised a better future.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yayay! Another chapter!! My friend has been busting my chops about writing so here it is :P

I hope you enjoyed it. Things may seem confusing now but bare with me, there will be more to come. I promise.

Thank you for reading! I know I'm not the best author and there are plenty of better writers than I am but I appreciate all of you reading. You make me smile like this --> =D

Have a great weekend and I hope to get another chapter up soon.