Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 26

To say that things the next morning weren't tense would be an understatment.

Jon stayed in my room all night and Julia must have come back from the club late. All three of us were woken up by someone's obxnious pounding on the door. I pushed Jon off the bed so he could answer the door because after a night like last night, I didn't want to leave the confidments of the sheets.

"I thought I'd find you here. Where'd you go last night?" Pat, who was obviously in a better mood then the rest of us, asked.

"Um, Kara wasn't feel well so I brought her back." Jon answered, his voice heavy with sleep.

Suddenly I felt the space beside me dip down and a hand was on my shoulder, "Kara, are you alright?"

"Peachy."

"That asshole didn't come after you again did he?" I shook my head. It was a different asshole this time I thought but knew I couldn't say it out loud. "Good. Come on, we need to eat then head to the airport. Julia...get up."

"Fuck off."

"I'm gonna head back to the room. I'll be back soon." Jon said, moving my hair out of my face. I just nodded and kept my eyes closed. The door shut and silence filled the room.

"Do you want the shower first?" Julia asked.

"I don't wanna get up."

"Me either." A week in Chicago seemed like a better idea a couple days ago. Now it just feels like it won't be what I expected. I thought Pat had changed. I should've known guys like that don't. I've lived it before.

I rubbed my eyes, letting out a groan of annoyance. The air was cold and I just wanted to snuggle deep into the blankets again. But I had to get up...at least for Jon.

I grabbed some sweats and changed quick, throwing my hair in a bun and washing my face.

As I packed up my bag, Julia jumped in the shower quick and got her stuff together. I text Jon telling him we'd just meet him in the lobby. I knew that if we stayed in the room, both of us would've fallen asleep.

Down the lobby, we grabbed some coffee and sat on the nice comfy chairs, trying to keep our eyes from shutting."Come on you two. We've got a plan to catch." Why was Patrick so fucking awake right now?

The whole ride to the airport and onto the plane was quiet between the four of us. Besides us all being tired, I don't think we wanted to talk to Patrick. I certainly didn't. Thankfully my seat was next to Julia and we just listened to our music and fell asleep the whole trip.

---

We arrived at Jon's place right after the airport. Patrick said he was going to head home and then rest up, promising to stop by tomorrow. Oh joy.

"There's two guest rooms with a joined bathroom. I'll let you ladies pick. I'll be in my room if you need me." Jon told us as we gawked at his condo. Total bachelor pad. It reminded me of his place back in Winnipeg but I'm guessing his mom didn't help decorate this one.

Julia and I walked down the hallway and examined the guest rooms trying to pick which one we wanted. Julia walked into the blue room, we'll call it. So that left me with the yellowish looking color room. I dropped my suitcase at the end of the bed and fell on top of it. I could so fall back to sleep right now. After just a trip to Pittsburgh and Chicago I was worn out. I don't know how Jon can get use that. I'd be dead soon if I kept it up.

In my pocket, my phone went off, "Hello?"

"Young lady, you were suppose to call me. Did you make it to Chicago?"

"Sorry mom, we literally just walked in the door."

"How was your flight?"

"Tiring."

"Okay. Go get some rest. Don't forget to tell Julia's mom you made it." I grunted a response and hung up.

I crawled up to the pillows at the head of the bed and got comfy under the sheets letting sleep take me away.

---

"Kara? Kara wake up."

"Ugh, what time is it?"

"It's 6:30. You slept a long time. I was starting to get worried." Jon said with that boyish grin.

"Is Julia up?"

"Yeah, she woke up a couple hours ago. So, how are you feeling?"

"Like I've been drained of any life."

"Do you wanna talk about last night?" Should I talk to him? Julia probably told him the blunt of it when she went looking for him but I know he wanted to hear it from me. When I didn't answer he said, "Just come to me when your ready. Now come on, we're ordering Chinese." He took my hands and helped me up.

"Are you allowed to eat Chinese food? I didn't think that was on the hockey player diet."

"I can make an exception." He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and we walked into the living room area. Julia was laying on the couch, making herself at home, "Good morning Sleeping Beauty."

"Shut up I was tired." She moved her legs giving me someplace to sit but ended up putting her feet in my lap.

"What do you guys want to eat?"

"Just order whatever. I could eat a horse." Julia answered.

"What she said. Hey did you call your mom?"

"Yeah I sent her a text before I crashed. Have you heard from Pat?" Julia answered.

"I haven't checked my phone."

"You know...we can just go home if you want." She whispered.

"It's forgotten. I just want to have a good time." Julia smiled and pulled me into a hug. She pulled out her phone and snapped our first picture of many yet to come.

---

When I woke up the next day, Jon left a note saying he had morning skate for his game tonight. I showered and straightened my hair, dressing in skinny jeans and a red tank top. Just as I walked out of my room, Julia came out of hers dressed for the day.

"It's quiet."

"Jon has morning skate."

"...Makes sense. Hungry?"

"Starving. I'll get the eggs cooking."

"I'll get the music." Julia walked back into her room for her iTouch and I searched Jon's kitchen for the proper food and pans to start making omelets. I found some tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, and ham, "I'm shocked...he actually has real food in here." I said.

"He probably doesn't know what to do with all of it."

"I'm sure he knows how to cook." Julia just rolled her eyes. Suddenly, Blake Shelton began to play and I couldn't help but swing my hips to it. Julia and I worked together to make our breakfast, singing and dancing along to the music that played. It's moments like this I can't wait to get a place of my own. I can play my music, look like a fool listening to it, make breakfast with my best friend. This was the life.

"You'll be my soft and sweet, I'll be your strong and steady. You'll be my glass of wine, I'll be your shot of whiskey," We were too into our song to hear the door open and two figures walked in, "You be my sunny day, I'll be your shady tree. You be my honey suckle, I'll be your honey bee."

"Ladies?" We both stopped and turned to see Jon and Patrick standing there watching us.

"Did you just get that on your phone?" Julia asked Patrick who had his phone out. His smile answered for him.

"We were making breakfast." I told them.

"I would love some!" Pat said sitting leaning against the counter. Patrick told me when he wanted in his omelet and cooked it for him.

"You girls ready for the game tonight?"

"I think we should be asking you that." I said to Jon.

"We're always ready," Patrick started, a move full of food, "We're going to kick some Canadien ass!" The guys continued on about how they were going to 'kick some Canadien ass' in wonderful details. I felt like I didn't even have to go to the game now.

After eating the boys cleaned up and went about their usual game day routines. Julia and I chilled just watching TV and surfing the net.

When it came around to leave for the game, Julia and I were ready and waiting for Jon to be done. "Are you girls ready?" He yelled from his bedroom. We just rolled our eyes and called out "Yes!" Jon came speed walking out of his room attempting to latch on his watch and grab his keys at the same time. Julia stepped up and helped with his watch. He swung the door open and let us out first before shutting and locking it.

I jumped in the passenger seat and watched as the snow lightly fell onto the streets of Chicago. As much as I hated the winter, I loved the days when the snow fell gently, coating the ground with a blanket of white.

At the players parking lot, Jon grabbed his bag and tossed it over his shoulder, stomping off to the arena, "Don't forget to lock your car!" I called after. The giant SUV flashed its lights and beeped, locking.

"Is this what he's always like before a game?" Julia asked. I shrugged and followed the snow prints to the players entrance. Inside, people were busy running around. Someone bumped into me and I already felt like I was in the way. We just followed whoever looked like they were going to the locker room and hoped for the best that we wouldn't get lost.

"Excuse me ladies," A very big man stepped in front of us blocking our path, "I need to see your passes."

"Passes? Shit Jon forgot the passes...again," I turned to the man, "I'm really sorry, we came with Jonathan Toews and he forgot to give us our passes."

"Yeah, like I haven't heard that before."

"No I swear we're with him. Can I just call him?"

"Quickly." He answered, eyeing me. I pulled out my phone and dialed Jon's number.

"Umm....it went straight to voicemail. Let me try again." I told the man. This time I called Patrick, "Kara, where are you?"

"Captain dumbass forgot our passes. This nice gentleman won't let us by."

"I'll be right there." The three of us waited awkwardly for Pat to show up. And when he did, he was dressed in just his under armor......wow.

"Hey Jack, they're with me." The security guard nodded at Pat and continued on his way. "Usual Jon's on top of remembering everything." Pat said leading us towards the locker room.

"Where have you two been?" Jon asked as we got to the locker room area.

"Sitting with security. Someone forgot our passes." Julia told him.

"Shit, I knew I was forgetting something. Sorry."

"Don't worry about ti Jon. Just focus on the game." He nodded and walked off to god knows where.

"I need to get dressed. Try not to cause too much trouble."

"Then it wouldn't be us." He smiled and went into the locker room.

"Hello there." A soft voice said from behind us. The woman was about our height with straight blonde hair, a gentle smile on her face, "I'm Abby Sharp." She introduced, offering her hand. We both shook it introducing ourselves. "So you're the famous Kara? I've heard quite a bit about you."

"All good I hope." Now I'm kinda nervous. I knew of Abby Sharp. She seemed to be a very nice person, almost like the mother of the team. Whatever she heard I was praying it was good because without Abby's acceptance, I'd have zero chance.

"Of course! Patrick says that you've helped clean Kaner up."

"Oh, well not completely. He still can get pretty wild."

"He's young. He'll learn. So how do you know Kaner and Tazer?"

"I met them in Vegas at the awards and I guess we just hit it off."

"That's nice. You seem like a pretty down to earth kind of girl."

"Ha, then they obviously didn't tell you everything." Julia commented. I sent her a glare but Abby just laughed.

"Patrick was telling me that Kaner has cleaned up a little." This caught my attention because that's not what I've seen.

"Really?"

"Oh yeah, he said ever since Kaner met you he's made a total 180. He doesn't go out as much. His drinking has gone down and the ladies are few." So what? Pittsburgh was just time to fill up? "It's weird too; whenever I see him, he always has a smile on his face even if know one said anything, he'll just smile like he thought of something funny. I won't be surprised if he was thinking about you." She teased, nudging me with her elbow.

"Um...Pat and I are just friends. I doubt he thinks about me."

"I don't know. But...who will? It is Patrick Kane anyways." She glanced down at her watch, "Game is starting soon. I gotta head up to the box. Where are you guys sitting?" She asked.

"Somewhere behind the bench I think."

"Okay, well have fun and I'll see you after the game." She waved and left for her seat.

"That made zero sense. If he's been cleaning up his act...what the fuck happened in Pittsburgh?" I shrugged at Julia, asking myself the same thing. But like Abby said...it is Patrick Kane.

---

The Blackhawks took the lead right in the first period and continued to control the game against the Canadiens. They were defiantly in the zone tonight and the guys were going to be in a great mood after their win.

Down in the lounge, we just sat quietly in the corner and waited for one of the guys to grace us with their presence. I noticed that some of the 'girlfriends' of the guys were avoiding us. When Abby showed up, she walked right over to us, "Hey girls, Enjoy the game?"

"Always do." I replied with a smile. Abby's nice...I like her.

"Good. The guys should be out soon, but since they won there might be more press."

"Abby, do you know where the bathroom is?" Julia asked. Abby gave her simple directions to the ladies room and Julia went off to find it.

The guys soon walked out of the locker room dressed in their suits, smiles on their faces. Wives and girlfriends congratulated their significant other while the single men joined Jon and Patrick over with us, "Great game guys!" They all smiled.

"You ready to go?"

"Yeah, Julia's just in the bathroom quick."

"Hey Jon, come over here!" Marian Hossa called out. Jon excused himself and joined the small group of guys, leaving me with Patrick.

"Do you wanna go get something to eat with me?" Pat asked. Wait, just the two of us?

"Yeah sure." Pat smiled and put his arm around my shoulders, leading my to the exit. I text Julia telling her what was happening.

You sure?

Yeah. It's not a big deal. She didn't respond. I sent Jon a text that Pat and I were heading off and that Julia knows.

Patrick drove us to to this small diner outside the downtown area. We were seated quickly due to the lack of guests in the diner, but it is pretty late. We took a booth in the back next to the large front window. Pat discarded his suit jacket, loosened his tie, and rolled his sleeves to his elbow. The restraint I have is pretty impressive.

"Great game Pat."

"Thanks Judy." Pat replied to the older waitress.

"The usual?" Pat nodded and handed her his menu. I ordered a cheese burger with fries. Judy gave me a warming smile and said our food would be out soon.

"So how you feeling? Jon said you weren't feeling good the other night." Patrick started. His forearms rested on the table, leaning forward.

"Oh, um, yeah I'm fine."

"Why didn't you come find me if you weren't okay?" He asked confused and I could sense some...jealous?

"I didn't know where you were. Jon was there."

"You could have at least called or something. I got worried." I looked away so he didn't see me roll my eyes. I'm sure he was super worried about me with that blonde humping his leg.

"What did you do that night?"

"Just hung with the guys. When I couldn't find you I left." Liar. I know exactly what you were doing. Judy came back with a tray of food right after he answered. He stayed silent as we ate our food. After him just lying to my face, I had a hard time looking at him so I kept my gaze of the gentle snowfall outside. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, why?" He shrugged.

"I don't know. You don't seem like yourself." Now it was my time to shrug. "How was your show?"

"It was good."

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it."

"You had hockey. If you were at the show and not a hockey game, I would be very mad at you." That got a smile.

"What do you have planned for next semester?"

"Um, just taking more classes. Then I'll have to start getting ready for Chicago."

"Now that is a show I can't wait to see. Hopefully it won't interfere with all the celebrating I'll be doing after we win the Stanley Cup."

"You seem pretty confident Mr. Kane but it's the Sabres that are going to win."

"Just 'cuz you said that, I'm going to make sure we pound the Sabres into the ground when we beat them."

"Come on Pat, you're from Buffalo. Support the home team."

"Oh I do, but when it comes to the Stanley Cup, Blackhawks all the way."

And just like that, things were right again. I had my friend back. The real Patrick Kane that many don't get to see.

We talked and joked. We took goofy pictures and videos. We laughed so hard Pat almost fell out of the booth. This is how things should be. I want them to always be like this. The question is...will it?

---

Pat was walking me up to Jon's condo after the diner kicked us out because they were closing. By now it was well past midnight when we reached the door. "Thanks for coming out with me."

"Thanks for inviting me. I miss these times." He smiled, probably remembering all those times during the summer when it felt like just the two of us in the world.

"I'm glad you're here Kara." He said softly.

"I am too."

"Would you maybe like to do something tomorrow with me?"

"Of course Pat."

"Great...okay, I'll text you after practice tomorrow."

"Okay."

"So...I'll see you tomorrow." He started backing up to the elevator.

"See you tomorrow Pat." I said with a little wave.

"Tomorrow will be fun."

"Okay Pat." I smiled.

"Great. Tomorrow. You and me. Fun."

"Got it Pat, just go home."

"Right...bye Kara."

"Bye Patrick." I giggled. Patrick was able to turn around before he smacked his face into the wall. He pressed the down button and waited for the doors to open. When he stepped on, he gave one last wave before the doors shut.

I stayed in the hallway for a few more seconds before I walked into Jon's apartment. All the lights were off. The only glow was coming for the TV. I went over to turn it off when I saw two figures sitting on the couch sleeping. Julia's head rested against Jon's shoulder. His head resting against hers, a blanket covering both of them. I had to hold my breath before I started laughing. I will defiantly be rubbing this in their faces tomorrow.

I did take a quick picture of it and sent it to Pat, I come home and this is what I find. So cute!

Letting the two sleep, I walked to my room and got ready for bed. Just as I snuggled up with my pillow my phone lit up, I will never let him live that down haha. Sleep came over me, followed by dreams of tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
yay! another chapter. Sorry it's taking me forever. More to come, I promise.

Thanks for reading!