Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 27

The next morning I was able to sleep in. I had no idea what time Jon had practice but when I looked at my phone it said 10:46.

I rolled out of bed, not caring about what my appearance and headed for the kitchen. Julia was leaning against the counter, a cup of coffee in between her hands. She had that look on her face as if she were deep in thought, starring at the steam rising from her cup.

Then I remembered last night. Her and Jon snuggled on the couch together. I couldn't control the smile on my face, "Rough night?" I asked walking by her to pour me a cup of my own coffee.

"Um, no...so where were you last night? Jon and I were getting worried."

"Oh I'm sure you were." I smirked over the brim of my cup.

"What did you and Pat do last night?"

"We went to a diner and ate." I answered.

"Is everything okay?" I sighed.

"I guess. I don't know. We talked about Pittsburgh and when I asked what he did that night, he said he hung with the guys."

"So he just lied to you?"

"Yes, but technically I lied to him."

"So what happened after that?"

"Everything was...normal. It was great."

"When did you get back?"

"After midnight. But enough about my night, how was yours?" Julia's eyes darted all over the place, avoiding mine.

"It was fine. Jon and I came back, ate, and watched TV. Nothing special."

"Did you guys talk? Get to know each other?"

She shrugged, "Sorta. We made comments here and there but that was it." I dropped the subject after that. If anything really did happen, she would've told me.

Julia and I made a bowl of cereal and watched TV before the boys got back. Just as Full House started, Jon and Patrick walked in, "Oo pajama party!" Pat said noticing the two us still in our pajamas.

"How was practice?" I asked Pat as he sat next to me, throwing his arm around the back of the couch. Jon took the spot on the other side of Julia.

"Practice was practice. I just want to relax." Pat answered propping his feet on the coffee table.

"What's there to do in Chicago?" Julia asked.

"There's a lot to do in Chicago!" Pat claimed.

"Like what?"

"There's...there's..."

"Sights to see, shops, food. There's a lot." Jon finished for him.

"Well are we gonna do any of that?"

"...We can."

"Great! We're gonna get cleaned up and we can go!" Julia and I jumped off the couch and went to our rooms to get ready.

----------------------------------

"I'm gonna head home and change. I'll come back and pick you all up." I told Jon once the girls left the room. He nodded, running a hand through his hair.

All through practice, I kept bashing him about that picture last night. I can only imagine Kara doing the same to Julia. And now they're about to spend the day together? This will be fun.

At home, I took my time in the shower. I didn't exactly clean up that much after practice. I just didn't want to smell. After, I tossed on a clean pair of jeans and a T-shirt with a sweatshirt for extra warmth. If we were going to walk around Chicago, I wanted to be warm.

When I was running my hand through my hair I realized I was trying to look good. Look good for what? To walk around Chicago?

Slowly I lowered my hand, starring at my reflection. I don't usually look like this unless I'm going out with the guys or trying to impress a girl. I mean, technically I'm not going out so...I'm trying to impress a girl? Who? I just met Julia and I think Tazer already called dibs. And Kara....Kara's just a friend. Why would I need to impress her?

I shook the thoughts from my head, finished getting ready and left for Tazers. When I got there Julia and Jon were sitting on opposite ends of the couch, eyes glues to the TV screen, "Ready?" I asked, announcing my presence.

"We're just waiting for Kara." Julia answered.

"Well let's go speed her up." I said walking down the hall to Kara's door. I heard someone get off the couch but didn't look back.

Kara's door was cracked slightly. I could hear her talking to someone. A man. She was sitting on the bed facing her laptop, obviously skyping this guy. She suddenly laughed at something the guy said. I remember that laugh. I heard it numerous times over the summer. I can make her laugh like that. Who was she talking to that made her laugh like that? Is it a boyfriend or something? Why is she talking to him?

Why do I care?

I turned and went back to the living room. Julia must have been the one that started to follow me because she was watching me. I wass about to ask her who Kara was talking to when Kara walked out, "Sorry guys. Everyone ready?" Jon got to his feet and grabbed his jacket. As Julia and Kara put their coats on Julia asked, "How's he doing?"

"Good. He's complaining about the heat. I told him to shut up." Julia laughed, Jon and I out of the loop.

The four of us walked down to the first floor of the apartment building and out the front door. We were greeted by snow fall. I pulled my beanie further down over my ears to keep them warm and followed behind Jon as he began to give the girls a tour of the city. We stopped at various stores. I'm not sure if the girls wanted to really go in them or wanted to get out of the cold but every store we went in, we just walked around aimlessly. Julia and pulled out her camera and was snapping pictures of her and Kara. She did ask us if we wanted to be in some, obviously respecting us. Jon and I are celebrities. The last thing we want are pictures surfacing on the internet causing problems. Been there, done that. But this was their vacation and they wanted to remember it all...even us.

Every where we went it was captured on Julia's camera. I couldn't tell you the last time I had this kind of fun in Chicago. Maybe it was because I lived here and that I never saw it through a tourist's eyes. But was it me seeing the city itself or the beauty of it all in Kara's eyes? That smile I've seen often never left her face. She was laughing and joking with everyone, even with random people. But that's what I like about Kara. She can see the good and beauty in everything. She could easily put a smile on your face, even if you've never met her before.

---

After hour of touring the city, we found a quiet coffee place to sit down and warm up in. "Why don't you two find a booth and we'll get the drinks?" Kara suggested to Jon and Julia. They nodded and walked off grabbing a booth in the corner, sitting across from each other.

"They've been like that all day. Every time they got close, one would blush and back away. It's annoyingly cute." Kara commented watching her two friends interact.

"I gave Tazer a hard time at practice today about that picture." I told her as we stood in line. Kara laughed.

"I did the same with Julia but that was just too cute."

"So who were you talking to before we left? A boyfriend?" I asked, changing the subject.

"It was my dad." She answered quietly.

"Oh...I don't remember ever seeing your dad."

"That's 'cause he hasn't been around lately."

"Are...are your parents divorced?" I asked cautiously.

"Um...no, he's...he's overseas right now." That option never even came to my mind.

"How long has he been gone?"

"Almost three years. I forgot today was his day to call."

"No that's fine. Totally understandable." I could understand to some extent. My family was like that with me. I'd call my parents or skype my sisters when I could. Her dad was gone for a long time, and unlike me, she couldn't see him whenever. I could go home on breaks or fly my family out here to see me. Now that I think of it, there were family pictures around her house and there was a guy in them. That must have been him.

Kara took a step forward and started ordering our drinks. Before I even had time to think about it she had pulled out a twenty and handed it to the cashier, "I could have paid for that."

"Oh quit your whining. My babysitting money was burning a hole in my pocket anyways."

"Fine but I owe you a drink." She just smiled and took two of the cups to the booth.

---

"When did it get so fucking cold?"

"Julia...it's December...and we're in Chicago. It's suppose to be cold." Kara told her.

"Yeah but it wasn't this cold earlier."

"That's because the sun went down." Julia let out a sigh and tightened her jacket around her. I noticed Tazer watching her, that look on his face like he was trying to figure out if he should do something or not.

"Are you cold?" I whispered to Kara.

"I'm alright."

"No you're not. Come here!" I said, wrapping my arms around her, pressing her body close to mine.

"You're right. This is much better." She said with a grateful smile.

"Aw! How cute!! I defiantly need a picture!" Julia yelled. I felt Kara rest her head against my chest, a smile on her face. I put my head against hers and posed for the camera.

Even after the flash went off, Kara and I didn't move. We just stood there enjoying the presence of the other on this chilly winter day. The downtown lights lit up the night with a comforting Christmas feel.

"Should we follow them?" Kara asked nudging her head at Jon and Julia as they were walking away from us, oblivious to the fact that we weren't following behind them.

"Nah, let them have some alone time." Kara looked up at me, smiling, "So are you enjoying yourself?" I asked.

"I am. You're a fabulous tour guide. And you're extremely hot." I smirked and let out a laugh. "You know what I meant." She mumbled, snuggling closer to me. I tightened my grip on her, afraid that if I let go the warmth would disappear.

"Are two lovebirds coming?!" We heard Julia yell. They must've realized we weren't behind them and decided to make a scene.

Kara pulled away from me, looking down at her feet as if she was embarrassed. I smiled and wrapped my arm around her. She fit right into my side...perfectly.

"We were thinking of going ice skating." Julia informed us as we joined them.

"We don't have skates." Kara pointed out.

"They have rentals." Jon told her.

After getting out skates, we laced them and walked towards the ice. When I stepped on, I noticed that Kara wasn't behind me. She was still standing on the side right before the ice, "You coming?" I asked with an amused grin.

"Um...yeah, just...give me a sec." When she didn't step onto the ice I asked, "Kara...do you know how to skate?"

"...Not exactly." I went over to her and offered my hands.

"I promise not to let you fall." She glanced between me and the ice, unsure. She nodded her head like she was trying to convince herself it was safe, and took my hands. She slipped a little but I held her up, "I'll just pull you along until you get the hang of it."

"You won't let go?"

"I promise I won't let go."

"You won't laugh when I fall?"

"I promise not to laugh too hard when you fall."

"Patrick!"

"Okay, okay, I won't laugh." I told her.

As I started to skate backwards, Kara kept her eyes on her feet, "For a hockey freak, it's weird you don't know how to skate." I commented trying to get her to loosen up; she was squeezing the life out of my hands.

"Shut up. My family wasn't big into hockey."

"But skating is something you go out and do with your friends. Didn't a boyfriend ever take you skating?"

"No, they didn't. And none of my friends were really into it."

Where the hell did she grow up? Her friends didn't skate and no boyfriend took her? Skating would've been our first date! Then I would've taken her to a hockey game. Then asked her to go to one of my games, giving her my sweatshirt to wear to the game.

Here's a girl that loves to watch hockey. She watches for the game, for the excitement. Not the guys or the money or whatever. She's a hockey players dream!

What the hell am I saying?

"How's it going over here?" Julia asked as her and Tazer skated circles around us.

"You're a bitch, you know that? Why suggest skating when you know I don't know how?" Kara complained.

"Well who better to teach you than an NHL player? Besides, it's a perfect night." She answered before skating away. I glanced at Kara, who just seconds ago was upset with her friend, now had a smile on her face.

Just looking at her, everything was perfect. The snow fell softly and landed in Kara's hair, standing out against the dark color. The different colored lights shone in her eyes, making them gleam. And as her eyes came to look up at me, the world just stopped.

"What?"

"Nothing. You ready to keep going?" She nodded and I started skating again.

It didn't take too long for Kara to get the hang of skating. She still wobbled a little but I was able to skate beside her instead of in front of her. I kept hold of her hand, keeping my promise not to let her fall. I could hear her softly hum to the Christmas music playing through the speakers.

"Mind if I cut in?" Jon asked from behind us. Kara smiled and let go of my hand, letting Jon take her hand. I stopped moving and watched them skate off, Kara throwing her head back laughing at whatever Jon was saying.

The air around me suddenly felt cold, "Need a partner?" Julia skated up beside me. We casually skated around Millennium Park in silence. Julia was snapping pictures galore.

"You're going to run out of memory before the day is over." I commented.

"I'm gonna put them on my laptop when we get back to Jon's."

"Do you mind if I look at them?" She shook her head and handed me the little camera. I started scanning through the pictures. A lot of them were of the city and the sights. Then photos of her and Kara from earlier. I smiled remembering them when it actually happened. There was even pictures of Jon and I that I didn't even notice her taking, "I can send you a copy of those if you want." She said noticing the picture of Jon and I laughing at some funny sign.

The scenery in the pictures started to change into the Millennium Park and then the one picture I didn't realize I was looking for until I got to it popped up. We looked so happy standing there. My smile wasn't like the ones I usually have in pictures, that mandatory smile. This one...it was real, genuine. And Kara, she looked so....so...

"That's my favorite." Julia said.

"Mine too." I was about to continue looking at the pictures when we heard a burst of laughter come from in front of us. Both Julia and I looked up to see Kara sitting on the ice and Jon bent over, both laughing.

"Oh, I gotta get this on camera." She took her digital and skated over to Kara, taking her picture as she laughed on the ground.

"What happened here?" I asked when I joined them.

"I fell!" Kara said through her laughter. I smiled and stuck out my hand to help her up.

"I can see that, but how?"

"I have no idea. One minute I'm skating, the next I'm on my ass!"

"She literally was standing and then on the ground in a matter of seconds." Jon explained.

"Next time, I just skate with Patrick. He promised not to let me fall." Kara joked with Jon but I couldn't help the smile on my face.

"It wasn't my fault you fell!"

"I need to get off this ice before I fall again. Plus my ass is cold." Kara said. We nodded and headed off the ice to return our skates.

---

Back at Jon's we all gathered into his living room to watch whatever Christmas movies he had in stock. As the girls made everyone hot chocolate, Jon and I arranged a pile of pillows and blankets in front of the TV. When Julia and Kara joined us, we casually sat there drinking and watched The Polar Express, "Interesting selection there Tazer." I teased.

"Shut up, it's a nice story." He retorted.

"Sshh, it's starting." Kara said. I set my mug down and laid back on the pile of pillows behind me. "Ca you set this over there?" She asked, handing me her own empty cup. I took it and set it beside mine. Kara copied my actions and laid back against the pillows, her shoulder bumping mine. Without even thinking, I tossed my arm around her, pulling her into my side. Before I got too comfortable, I pulled own of the thick blankets over us, keeping the heat between the two of us. She laid her head against my shoulder and I set my head atop of hers.

I glanced over Kara's head at Jon and Julia. Both were just sitting there. Jon turned when he noticed me looking. I shot a look at Julia, signaling him to get cozy. He looked at me confused. So I glanced down at Kara then back to Jon hoping he caught the hint. He turned away that time. Slowly, he lifted his arm...like he was stretching. What a fucking loser. But as lame as his middle school move was, it worked. Julia leaned into him. He looked back over at me with satisfied smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes and mouthed "Wow"

"Fuck you." He retorted. He may know what he's doing on the ice, but I'm positive he has no idea what he's doing off ice.

I glanced over our little area here; close friends bundled together for warmth with a holiday movie on the television screen. It just seemed like the perfect ending to a great day. Part of me dreaded going to practice in the morning because that would mean all of this would end. But I know tomorrow, we'll be playing the Canadiens and Kara will be there in the stands, cheering me on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah so that's how I'm ending the chapter. I was at a loss of words so...yeah. I hope everything else was okay. I've had most of this chapter written out but it took me longer to finish it because I was pulling it from thin air. I've gotten some comments on some liking Patricks POV so I hope this was good.

So while Patrick and Kara get ready for the Christmas season I will be getting ready for the Hockey Season!!! I hope you're all are as excited as I am! My Sabres are in Finland right now and I WILL be watching their season opener. Good luck to all the other teams for their season openers. This will defiantly be a good year.

Sorry if I don't update soon. I get easily distracted with school and I've just subscribed to like, a hundred stories that I want to read so bare with me haha.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting and subscribing. I appreciate it 100% I promise to work on the next chapter ASAP.

Have a good night everyone! and a Happy (early) Birthday to Tyler Ennis!!

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!