Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 28

Through most of the game, I scanned the crowd. Hundreds of red jerseys, a good number of them reading 88, but there was only one 88 I was looking for. And she sat three rows back behind the penalty box.

She explained that she wanted to be able to see the whole rink and be straight across from the bench. That way she could see me on and off the ice. Originally, Jon and I were going to get them seats right by the bench, but when we overheard all the evil deeds they had planned; something about Skittles taunting them. So straight across was the best idea; I could keep an eye on her.

Right now, she was following the puck as it slid into Canadien territory, laughing at whatever Julia said. With all the people around, she stuck out with just that smile.

"Kane! Line change!" Coach yelled, snapping me out of my trance. I jumped over the boards waiting for Toews to win the face off. Keith got the puck and sent it up towards Montreal's zone. I took off after it before the Canadiens got to it giving me a 2-on-1. The rest of the guys caught up, creating a play in the enemy zone. I shot the puck form the wing, seeing Sharpie waiting for the pass. When the puck bounced off Price's pads, Sharpie lifted the rubber disk over the goalies shoulder, hitting the back of the net. The team came together to congratulate Sharpie, some complimenting me as well.

I skated off the ice before the face off, pounding my fellow teammates gloves. When I sat down my eyes went to Section 111, Row 3, Seat 10. There she was, a smile on her face, her eyes on me. She gave me a thumbs up. And at that moment, I didn't care if we won or loss. Kara was here and that's all that matters.

---

"A toast! To a great victory!" The team toasted, everyone clinking their drinks.

We had beaten the Candiens by two points and it left everyone with a positive attitude for the holiday season. To celebrate before out break, we went out. Honestly, I just wanted to hang out at Tazer's or something, which is a first but I just wanted to spend time with Kara, even if I attached her to my hip as soon as I saw her after the game.

I looked down at the small brunette at my side. She was smiling and laughing with all the guys. She chatted with Abby and some of the other WAG's that decided to tag along. She fit in perfectly with the team, always talking to whoever looked left out. I mean, she even had Crawford talking up a storm and that guy never talks. I noticed the guys would watch her interact with others, it was that look of family. They considered her family. And the guys have never given that look to my dates.

Wait...date? What?

"Kara! I want to dance!"

"Julia, you don't have to scream in my ear!" She replied laughing. Julia rolled her eyes and pulled Kara away from my side. Worry crawled into my stomach as I watched her disappear into the crowd of grinding bodies.

"If you're that worried, go after her." Sharpie said, watching as I never took my eyes off the crowd.

"I'm not worried." That might have been partially true. I was kinda worried, especially after last time.

"Well, if you're going to just sit there, than I'm gonna go dance with her." Corey said standing up and walking the same path Kara had taken into the dancing group. Part of me said I should go after Crawford and kick his ass for thinking about dancing with her. And the other half said, "I need another drink."

As I made my way to the bar, girl after girl came up and tried to talk to me, but I just smiled and kept walking to the bar. I sat on one of the stools and sipped my new beer in as much peace as a club would allow.

"Dude, you see the Blackhawks are here?" some guy to my left said.

"Yeah, they're probably getting all the good chicks." His friend added.

"Did you see that chick Corey Crawford had? If he doesn't take her home, I am."

"What does she look like?"

"She's right there." The first guy answered, pointing into the crowd.

"Holy shit! I bet she's good in the sack." I turned to look at the dance floor. In between the groups of people was Corey, a smile on his face. It might have something to do with the short brunette swaying her hips against him. The smile makes sense now. Kara's tight shirt had rode up just enough to make her smooth skin visible. Her jeans clung to her legs like a second skin. Her boots gave her a couple inches but she only came up to Crawford's chest, but they defiantly complimented her legs. Her hair, straight compared to its usual curls, was pulled back out of her face. She had light make-up on, enough to make her eyes stand out but not enough to look like a mask.

But no matter what she wore or how she looked, the one thing that stood out the most...was her smile.

Even though she was pressed up against Crawford, her smile said she as just there to have fun with her friends, not to sleep with anyone. But the blood in my veins boiled when I watched Crawford's hands slide up her waist, touching her skin. He leaned down to whisper something into her ear making her throw her head back against his chest, releasing a laugh.

That's the last straw.

I got up from the stool and pushed my way through the bumping bodies till I reached Kara. Crawford noticed me coming and began to back up from Kara. She looked up at him when where he was looking. When she saw me, she smiled. All the frustration faded away as I took her in my arms and we started to dance.

---

"Come on Kara, you can do it." I coaxed her into Jon's apartment. She was laughing about something I don't even know but she just laughed like I told her the funniest joke in the world.

Now, I'm pretty sure that she's not drunk but she's defiantly not sober. After we danced, we went back to the table and the guys ordered a bunch of shots. They convinced Kara to try some. She might have had 2, maybe 3 and I could easily tell she wasn't use to whatever the guys ordered.

I led her to her room, having to make sure she wouldn't walk into a wall, "Okay Kara, why don't you get changed and I'll get you some water and Advil?" I told her. She just nodded and continued laughing.

I'm 98.67% positive she doesn't get this buzzed on a regular basis. Her form of drunk is my slightly buzzed...do I seriously drink that much?

Once I found Tazer's Advil, I went back to Kara's room, where she was lying on the bed. She was playing with a strand of her hair, until she noticed me. She smiled and sat up.

"Here," I handed her a pill and a glass of water, "I'll leave the bottle here. You're going to need it in the morning."

"Wait, you're not gonna stay?" She asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Do you want me to stay?" She nodded her head but wouldn't meet my eyes. Was she...embarrassed?

I let out a sigh and walked over to Tazer's room, stealing a pair of sweats and a T-shirt. When I got back to the room, Kara was on her side facing the inside of the bed.

I crawled in next to her, noticing the short shorts and tank top/sports bra combo she was wear.

"Thanks for staying with me." She whispered, her eyes closed.

"What kind of a friend would I be if I left you alone?" I joked. She gave me a tired smile.

"I'm not usually like this when I go out."

"I noticed. I thought you didn't really like alcohol."

"It's not that I don't like alcohol. I don't like what alcohol does to people."

"What do you mean?"

"Alcohol can turn a good person into a lying, cheating, heartless person." She sneered.

"That's quite an effect."

"But it's why I don't like to see people drink till their brains fall out. You don't need to be drunk to have a good time."

Did you know someone who changed because of drinking?"

"Yeah...an ex-boyfriend."

"What did he do?"

"He went to a bunch of parties, drank so much and cheated on me. It happened so many times that he didn't even have to be drunk anymore to cheat."

"If he cheated on you so many times, why'd you stay with him?"

"I didn't know. I found out from Julia."

"How?"

"When he tried sleeping with her. I confronted him about it, he didn't deny it. He didn't care. He could get any girl he wanted and he didn't need me anymore."

"What a dick." She chuckled.

"Got that right. But since school started and we had the show, he won't leave me alone." She yawned and I raised my eyebrow.

"Wait, what?" This creep is bothering her?

"He keeps trying to talk to me, thinking he can sleep with me or something."

"Why didn't you tell me? I'd kick his ass." She smiled, placing her hand on my cheek.

"That's sweet Pat, but I can take care of it."

"Promise me if he keeps bothering you, you'll tell me." She nodded, trying to stop from yawning, "Kara, promise me."

"I promise." She curled her hands under her chin, pulling the blanket with her.

I took her hands in mine realizing she's really cold. I rub her hands in mine, trying to create some heat when I heard her moan, "You know Pat, any girl would be lucky to have you. I know I would." I starred at her hoping she would explain her statement but her breathing evened out and she was fast asleep.

Her words ran through my brain, trying to find the meaning behind them but nothing would come,

She doesn't know what she's saying. It's the alcohol talking. Maybe I'll just ask her in the morning. But she probably won't remember. No need to worry about it now. She's asleep.

I let out a yawn and got comfortable, closing my eyes and falling asleep.

---

The next morning I woke up before Kara, even at ten in the morning. Kara was curled up in my side, a peaceful smile on her lips.

That won't last long.

I carefully pulled away from her and walked out of the room, my clothes in hand.

In the kitchen, Jon and Julia were quietly talking but when they noticed me they stopped. One with a smirk and one looking confused, "Are those my clothes?" Jon asked.

"I'll give 'em back."

"How's she doing?" Julia asked, eyebrow raised over the brim of her mug.

"She's gonna have a headache, but that's it. She didn't drink that much."

"I'm surprised she drank as much as she did. She's never like that. Did she do anything dumb?"

"She laughed a lot, but she's like that without alcohol. She did mention an ex." Julia slowly lowered her cup to the counter like she was nervous about something.

"What ex?" Jon asked.

"She didn't say his name. Just that he cheated on her and didn't care and that now he's been bothering her." I answered. Jon and I both looked over at Julia waiting for her to explain or something.

"Did she say anything else?"

"Julia, who is this guy?" Jon questioned, pulling out his Captain Serious and keeping her from changing the subject.

"He's no one. Just an ex-boyfriend that cheated on her. He's been pestering her but she won't even give him the time of day. No need to get your panties in a knot. Did she say anything else?" I shook my head deciding against telling her about the other thing.

"I'm heading home. Text me with plans." Jon nodded and I left the apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay another chapter! I promise things will start coming together, just need to set the stage. I hope you're enjoying the story and this wonderful hockey season that is upon us, I know I am.

Promise to get another chapter up soon!

Good luck to all teams playing this week.

Let's go Buffalo!!