Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 32

When I woke up this morning, I wasn't expecting to see a woman of my height, brown hair, blue eyes, and a five month pregnant belly on the television screen. She was on Good Day Chicago, the headline at the bottom of the screen read, "Patrick Kane's child?"

Pat was at practice and I'm sure as soon as he leaves he'll be attacked by reporters.

The news is out and there's nothing we can do.

I sat there and listened to this woman explain how Pat and her met on Halloween, "I tried to stay in contact with him but he never returned my calls."

"When did you first find out you were pregnant?" Anchor Anna Davlantes asked.

"A few weeks later."

"Did you call Patrick when you found out?"

"I had called but he wouldn't answer." She dabbed her eyes, wiping away the fake tears that were shed, "I just want my child to have a father in their life." She whined. I rolled my eyes and turned the TV off.

If the media did get to Patrick, he won't be in the mood to talk about this, but we needed too. We needed to work through this and try to find a hole in this woman's plot.

What do you say to someone who fucked up even when you warned them of the consequences? I told you so? Yeah, that might sum it up but it might be a bit harsh right now.

I'll ask him about what he remembers from that night and what the Hawks Organization is gonna do now that the cat's out of the bag. He also needs to think about the outcome. If the baby is his, he'll have to pay for child support or something. This is affecting his life, his career, his future. Let's just hope he has a plan.

Patrick came home an hour later, slamming the front door and throwing his bag to the ground. He stormed into the kitchen and sat on the couch, a beer in hand. I snatched the bottle from him and set it on the coffee table away from him, "Kara, give me the beer." He ordered.

"Beer isn't going to make it go away."

"I want the fucking beer." He hissed.

"Too fucking bad." Pat crossed his arms, "Pat what happened at practice?"

"I don't wanna talk about it now."

"Well we'r going too so deal with it. What happened at practice?"

"The press was there asking questions about Lindsey and the baby. The story wasn't even suppose to get out yet. They told me it wouldn't."

"She was on Good Day Chicago this morning. Someone obviously bought her story."

"And now everyone thinks I'm the bad guy because I ignored her. It was a one night stand. You're not suppose to call." You would know, wouldn't you?

"Alright, let's, um...start from the beginning. Maybe we can figure something out." Pat didn't respond so I continued, "What happened on Halloween? What were you doing that night?"

"Sharpie was having a party. The whole team was there."

"Was Lindsey there?" He shook his head, "So you left the party?" He nodded, "Why?" He hesitated this time.

"I left because...I got mad."

"At who?"

"...Jon."

"What did Jon do?"

"He uh...did something that pissed me off."

"Like what?"

"It's not important! I got mad, let's move on!"

"You know Pat, I've noticed when you get mad you go out and drink and have sleep around."

"What are you my therapist?" He said sarcastically. I was about ready to punch him. Just because he's angry, doesn't mean he can take it out on me...like all the other times.

"What happened that made you mad? What was it that Jon did that triggered this?"

"He had a picture on his phone. I saw it, got mad, and left."

"Picture? Picture of what?"

"...of you." A picture of me? I sent Jon a picture on Hallo....my costume. How did Pat see that? Jon was suppose to delete it.

"You saw that picture? He was suppose to delete it. Who else saw it?"

"I don't know."

"How did you see it?"

"I borrowed his phone and I saw he was texting you so I looked and I found the picture."

"So...you got mad because he had a picture of me?"

"...Yes."

"You don't sound so sure." He let out a long sigh, sitting up to rest his elbows on his knees.

"I was mad at both of you."

"Why?"

"Because! Did you not see that picture? It was pretty whorish, don't you think? If you send him a picture like that, I can only imagine what other pictures you send him. I wouldn't be surprised if you fucked him too while you were in Winnipeg! That's probably why you went there!" He yelled standing up and pacing back and forth.

I've never seen Pat get this mad, and at me none the less. And I'm surprised I haven't kicked him in the balls yet for what he just said.

"Jon and I never did anything. We're just friends I went to Winnipeg to visit him because he's my friend. If you invited me to Buffalo again, I would've gone too." I said very calmly.

"Why were you even sending him that picture in the first place? Why wouldn't you send me a picture?"

"Because you weren't talking to me for whatever reason and Jon asked to see what I was for Halloween." I explained.

"Do you like Jon, Kara? Because if you do, I bet he wouldn't mind hooking up with you! It's obvious he's interested in you!!" Okay, this is getting out of hand.

"Pat, just calm down. You're overreacting and don't know what you're saying." I said standing up and walking over to him. He pulled his arm away as I tried to touch him.

"You're no better than those other puck sluts! You just know how to get in and get what you want!! You're no better than Lindsey! Using us for our fame and money!! It was a mistake to be friends with you!! I should have never talked to you in Vegas!!" My mouth dropped as he said that, poison dripping from every word. "Just get the fuck out of here! Go find Jon and get out of my life!!!"

I took a step back, blinking back the tears that threatened to fall. The blue in Pat's eyes darkened, his face red of angry and hate. His fists were clenched by his side, his jaw line tight with pressure.

I turned and walked to the guest room, packing up whatever stuff was out of the bag and slipped on my jacket.

Without a second glance at Patrick, I walked out his front door, slamming it on my way. When I entered the hallway I stopped and let out a shaky breath, letting my tears fall freely. From the other side of the door I could hear the crash of something glass.

The nerve of him to say all that stuff about me! He's out of his fucking mind! He should be fucking begging for me to stay because I was the only one willing to be there for him. I was there for him after every screw up he had. And this is how I'm repaid? Fuck this shit!

I made my way down to floor level and hailed a taxi, telling him to take me to the airport. I was able to change my ticket to an earlier flight and was boarding my plane a half an hour later, "Julia?"

"Kara, what's wrong?" I called her as I sat in my seat before the flight took off.

"I'm heading to Rochester. Can I stay with you?"

"Of course. Is everything okay?" I felt a whole new wave of tears fall down my cheeks.

"I'll tell you when I get there."

"Okay babe, text when when you're landing." I agreed and hung up. I slipped on my ipod and let the world drown out around me.

When you try your best but you don't succeed...

-------------------------------------------

"You've got some fucking never Kaner!" Jon screamed slamming the locker room door open the next say at practice. I didn't even bother to look at him.

"Turn around when I'm fucking talking to you!" He ordered. Just because he wears the 'C' on his jersey, doesn't mean he can he's the fucking Queen of England.

When I didn't listen to him, he shoved my shoulder around to face him, "What's your problem man?" I said shoving him away from me. He came lunging at me but Sharpie held him back. The guys now circled us.

"What's going on here?" Sharpie asked, looking between the two of us.

"This fucking asshole kicked Kara out yesterday!" Jon answered. The guys looked at me for an answer.

"So what? I told her to go find you!"

"She went back to fucking New York! You fucking called her a whore!!" As I looked around the room, all of the guys were shocked, some becoming upset.

"Is that true Kaner?" Sharpie asked.

"She is! I saw that fucking picture from Halloween! I sure you fucked her too! She's just anther fucking puck slut!!" This time when Jon came at me, Sharpie let him go. And he punched me in the face.

"You're the fucking whore Patrick! She's been there for you the whole fucking time, accepting you for your mistakes and you call her a fucking whore?! You're a fucking idiot!!" He yelled, his face getting redder the louder he got. "I hope you're fucking happy Kaner because right now, you've got no one on your side! No one wants to put up with your fucking mistakes!! Kara was your last friend and you through her out!! I hope this fucking child is yours so you can finally grow the fuck up!!" He finished then stormed out the door. The team watched as he left and when he was gone, they turned to me.

"You really did it this time Kaner." Corey said with a shake of his head. The other guys did the same thing and went back to getting dressed for practice.

I really did it this time, didn't I?

----------------------------------------

"Kara, you need to eat." Julia had been trying to get me out of bed since I got back from Chicago.

The sad part is...I've been back for a month.

"I'm not hungry." I told her. She just rolled her eyes and left the dorm. I knew she was getting fed up with me but I just...I couldn't function right. I only left the room for classes and even when I went, I wasn't there 100%.

I barely ate, I stopped working out, I kept to myself with my headphones in listening to my "Depressed" playlist. I couldn't sleep with Patrick's words ringing through my head every minute.

I couldn't stop thinking about him. If you thought I was heartbroken before, my heart was currently in Chicago, smashed with that broken glass on the floor.

He never called. He never apologized. I never heard from him.

The days following my return to Rochester, Jon and the other Blackhawks called and texted but I never responded. Julia admitted to talking to Jon the night I got back and he must have told the other players. They still tried to contact me though but I wouldn't budge. I didn't budge to anyone.

I just want school to end and the internship to begin. I'll be so busy I won't have time to even think about Patrick Kane. This internship was my ticket to forget and move on.

Julia tried to keep me active. She put the Sabres games on now that they were in the playoffs...but so were the Blackhawks. She even offered to buy me a ticket to a Sabres game if I got out of bed and showered.

I hope Patrick feels just as shitty as I do right now. This is all his fucking fault.

Jon and I dating? That would never happen! If Pat got that mad at a picture, I can only imagine what he'd do if he knew about that kiss from the summer. I mean sure, Jon is a great guy and any girl would kill to be with him, but I never had strong enough feelings for him. Not like I did for Patrick.

I bet Jon wouldn't be as dramatic.

I can admit I did keep an eye on the news to see if it's his kid or not. Lindsey was really getting the story out, making it really convincing. She has to be hiding something. She has too many details in her story, and that's defiantly a sign of a lie. But according to an interview, she's not agreeing to a DNA test until the baby is born. She's also demanding the money since she's had doctors visits.

It's scary really. As I look at her picture, I notice a resemblance to me; same hair, same eyes, same build. If Pat was that mad at me, why pick a girl that looks like me? "Well he thought you were with Jon. Maybe he wanted to be with you." Julia suggested when I pointed it out. I don't know how I couldn't have been more obvious when I was around him.

He could have been with me.

---

"Kara, please! This is their a playoff game!! We need to go and support them!"

"Julia, I do not want to fly to Chicago. I do not want to go to their games. I do not want to see Patrick Kane."

"You won't have too! Jon said that Pat will never know if we come. Come on Kara! The guys want us there!! You can't turn down a offer like this for one guy."

"What about finals? Don't you have work to do?" I was trying to find anything to get out of this. I couldn't go back to that city and not break down into tears.

"I've done everything! I even made flashcards to even bring with me to study! Please Kara, I don't want to go without you." I looked at her.

"Fine. We'll go." I couldn't take this away from her. This was technically our Christmas present. And I knew she wanted to see Jon again. They had talked nonstop and for me to deny their reuniting moment would make me a terrible friend.

We left early Friday to get there for the game. Jon picked our seats behind the bench a couple rows back. I sported my Crawford jersey and Julia had her Toews on.

Abby texted me to meet her after the game. I'm sure she knew what happened just like the rest of the team. And deep down...I was hoping she let Patrick Kane have one.

The Hawks were playing Ducks in their second game of the series. It was a close match, both teams fighting for the a win advantage to a long series.

The boys played great. Jon and Sharpie had some goals and assists. Corey played fabulous, only letting one goal in for the Ducks.

To say that the city of Chicago was excited for their win would be an understatement.

I tried to avoid the familiar 88 as he skated around the ice. I tried to avoid the checks he gave, the hits he had, and the penalties he received.

And when Julia and I walked down to the locker room to meet Abby and Jon, I was ready to avoid 88 again.

Abby was waiting in the lounge with Madeline in her arms, her father's number on her back, "It's so good to see you guys again!" Abby greeted.

"You too Abby. You look great." I said and she smiled.

"Thanks, you too. How've you been?" I shrugged. I was excited the Hawks won and I didn't want to think about 88 right now. She gave me a sympathetic smile and patted my shoulder, "Don't think about it. Tonight, we celebrate as much as Captain Serious will let us." Julia and I laughed.

Jon and Sharpie were the first to walk out of the locker room. Jon hugged Julia, spinning her around either for happiness of winning or happiness she was here. When he set her down, he hugged me, a little less enthusiastic, "How are you?" He asked. I gave him the same answer as Abby.

"I think she needs a drink Tazer. How 'bout we head to your place and celebrate?" Sharpie offered.

"I think we can go for a little celebration. No alcohol though." Julia and I let out annoyed complaints.

"We don't have playoffs! We can drink!"

"If I remember correctly, you're not old enough to drink." He smirked.

"Hasn't stopped them before." Sharpie added.

"Fine, but not too late. We have practice in the morning. I'll get the other guys." Jon says going back into the locker room. Minutes later, he's got a group of guys coming out through the door. All of them with smiles on their faces. All of them greeted Julia and I and raved about the celebration we're about to have.

"Let's get this party start before Tazer gives us a bedtime!" Dustin yells out. The whole team and their significant other head towards the exit. Julia, Jon, Corey, and I were in the back of the group about to turn the corner when someone called out, "Kara?" The four of us turned back to see Patrick watching all of us leaving. "Kara...can we talk?" Jon and Corey both took a step forward, blocking me from Pat's view.

"It's alright." I told them.

"Are you sure?" Jon asked and I nodded. "Five minutes, and I'm coming in after you." I nodded and watched the three of them walk down the hall, then I turned to Patrick.

"How've you been?" He started off.

"Fine. You?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Fine." Then the awkward silence.

"Is there something you want Kaner?"

"You never call me Kaner." He pointed out. "Um...I want to apologize...for what I said."

"Just forget it Patrick."

"No. I can't. I screwed up and I need you. All the guys are pissed at me, the press is breathing down my neck, and my mom won't do anything but tell me how disappointed she is."

"There's nothing I can do, Patrick. I'm nothing but a whore."

"Kara, no. I didn't mean to say it."

"Then why did you?"

"I-I was mad. It slipped."

"It was uncalled for." He let out a sigh. "Why? Why did you get mad at me because of the picture?"

"Because...because I thought you were with Jon."

"So what if I was?"

"You-you can't." I took a step closer to him.

"And why not?"

"Because...you are suppose to be my friend...I didn't...I didn't want you to be with anyone else."

"But you could go and sleep around with whoever you wanedt? If I really wanted to date Jon, I could but I didn't."

"Why didn't you? You two were pretty close until your friend came into the picture."

"I didn't like Jon like that...there was someone else." I admitted. Was he really going to make me say this? Did he honestly not know this whole time?

"Who is he?"

"He's no one. We don't talk anymore."

"Then who was he?"

"Forget it Patrick. It's not important. Look, I need to go. Jon's waitin-" I turned to walk away when Patrick grabbed my arm.

"Kara, who is he?"

"It was you! Okay? It was you." His grip loosened around my arm. "Ever since I met you in Vegas. I didn't think it would ever happen because of who we are! Who you are! But we talked and got to know each other. You invited me to Buffalo, you became my friend! You weren't 'Patrick Kane the hockey player,' you were Patrick Kane the guy from Buffalo. When you came to my show, I was happy. When you stayed in Syracuse those weeks, I was ecstatic. I knew I fell for you. But every time you called me drunk or told me you were sleeping with some girl, it was like you just stabbed me in the heart!

"I tried to be there for you, no matter how much it hurt. I stayed by your side because I really cared about you. I honestly don't know how you couldn't see it. Everyone saw it, everyone knew! Except you.

"You're right, I was your only friend when this Lindsey thing came up. You're lucky I agreed to come to Chicago because Julia was pissed at me for agreeing. She didn't think you were worth it! She said I shouldn't put up with your shit anymore, 'If he listened to you in the first place, he wouldn't be in this shit right now!' she told me. But I came anyway because I liked you!!.

"But right now, I'm done with you! I'm done with your shit! You've done this to yourself and you need to figure it out on your own!" I got right up into his face, "I hope she was worth the fuck because she might be the only person who wants anything from you now." I hissed before I stormed off. Hot tears streamed down my face as I walked away from him.

I was just reaching the exit door when Jon opened it, "Let's get you out of here." He whispered when he saw me. Corey and Julia were standing outside Jon's car when we met them there. Corey helped me into my the backseat, staying close to me, rubbing my arms in comfort.

Jon pulled out of his parking spot and headed towards the exit.

Outside the window stood Patrick Kane...the guy from Buffalo.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter the next day! yayay! I hope it was a good one because I haven't started on any of my homework and skipped the nap I was planning on taking.

Sorry for the language but I'm sure a number of us would be swearing if we were in that situation.

Kara finally told Pat where to stick it and now Pat feels like a giant ass :) the world is right again!

Just kidding, it won't end here. You'll just have to stay tuned and find out ;)

I loved the comments from the last chapter by the way, made me laugh. My roommate who reads the story was getting on my ass about finishing this chapter so she can find out what happens next. Keep reading, keep commenting, and keep subscribing. I write for you :)

PS: Abby Sharp is actually pregnant with a baby girl, I looked it up on several sources and they said she is due December 15th I believe. I know I put it on a later date but, its fiction. So congrats to Mama and Papa Sharpie on such a blessing. The baby will defiantly be in good hands.

I'll update ASAP. Good night everyone and...

Let's Go Buffalo!!!