Sequel: Act of Kindness
Status: Completed- So go read the sequal!! Please! :)

Life Coach

Chapter 6

I had been extremely busy with work that I jumped when my phone went off. When I saw Pat's name appear, I smiled, "Hello?" Ever since the day I talked to a week and a half a ago, it became a habit to receive texts and phone calls from him.

"Hey. How's it going?"

"It's alright. Just got home from work. You?"

"I'm about ready to go out."

"Didn't you go out last night? I strictly remember you going out last night because I laughed at your drunk texts."

"I wasn't that drunk."

"Then you don't remember your texts."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's just a little party with some guys on the team."

"And you're not going out to the clubs after?"

"....I didn't say that."

"Pat, you went out last night and now you're drinking again. I'm gonna have to put a restriction on how much you drink." I heard him let out a doubtful laugh.

"You won't be able to do anything."

"Do not doubt me Patrick Kane. I have my ways." He obviously didn't know that I had Jon's number and he's been keeping tabs for me.

"Yeah okay. So what do you have planned for the night?"

"Oh you know, maybe a movie while I wait for the drunk texts or calls from my favorite hockey player."

"Aw, I'm your favorite hockey player? That means so much." He cooed.

"Don't go getting a bigger head. Can yo at least promise me you'll be home around 1am and not wasted."

"Buzzed a little bit?"

"Fine but no girls."

"What? No girls? I haven't been laid in...a week."

"Ew Pat, I did not need to know that. You don't need to be having sex every weekend."

"But Kara..."

"Don't 'but Kara' me. You don't need to have sex. Period. So you either don't drink and sleep with ONE girl or you get buzzed and sleep with NO girls." It was quiet on the other end of the line. Is he seriously thinking about this? "Patrick!"

"What? This is an important decision."

"No it's not! I shouldn't even be giving you options. You need to learn to control yourself. Don't drink so much and don't sleep with every girl with boobs."

"....but I like boobs." he mumbled.

"Patrick!"

"Okay, okay. I'll be careful."

"You better."

"Thanks Kara. I'll talk to you later."

"Anytime Pat. Have fun but don't do anything I wouldn't do." He laughed but promised to be good tonight.

This is what it was like every weekend. I'd make him a deal and he'd have to agree. If he failed and messed up, he adds it to the IOU we're making. I haven't decided what he'd owe me, I was more focused on him being smart and making the right choices.

During the week, we'd talk when we could. He'd talk to me about his day of relaxation and I'm taking care of 5 kids and building sets. Bastard. "Kara, you need a vacation." he said to me one day after a 15 hour work day for me.

"Right Pat, let me jump on that."

"You need to get out more often."

"I don't have that kind of time or money." that was usually the answer I gave him. I actually had the money for it...I just didn't have the time. The show was next month and things were getting crazy. For a big show, there was a small crew and a lot of work to be done. There were times I wouldn't get home until close to midnight. And as I'm about to fall asleep, Pat will wake me up. He was right, I needed to get out but I had zero time.

---

It was a casual Saturday in July. I didn't have to babysit and crew was early this morning, giving me the afternoon to relax. It was a couple days until the 4th of July and I just wanted to seem some good fireworks.

I was laying in my pool on a hot day, music blasting as I soaked up the sun when I heard a car park on the street. I figured it was the neighbors kids that were constantly visiting, "Is that a kiddie pool?" I leaned my head to the side and saw none other then the party boy himself.

"Patrick Kane you are in Syracuse."

"And you are in a kiddie pool."

"I can't have a big pool so I settled with a kiddie pool. What brings you here?"

"Oh, I was just in the neighborhood and I wanted to see you again." He answered taking a seat next to my pool.

"Just in the neighborhood, eh? And um, how did you get my address?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"That's for me to know...and you to never find out."

"That's not creepy at all. Do you do that to all of the girls you're friends with?"

"Nope just you." He smiled.

"Fantastic. Why aren't you with your family? The holiday's coming up."

"That's actually why I'm here. I wanted to see if you wanted to celebrate with me and some friends."

"You want to celebrate the 4th of July...with me?"

"Of course! You can come to Buffalo. My family is having a party and a bunch of the guys from the team are coming over."

"Aren't most of them Canadian?"

"Doesn't mean they can't party. Come on, you need to have fun."

"And you need to stop with the 'having fun'."

"I'm not worried about me...I'm worried about you."

"You're worried about me?"

"Yes! You never go out. You never have fun. I'm the person you need to introduce you to this fun and exciting time."

"Yeah, and how am I suppose to explain to my mom and my bosses that I'm heading to Buffalo with Patrick Kane so he can show me a good time?"

"I think that was good." I rolled my eyes and stood up. Pat's eyes followed up my legs to my face at a very slow pace, "Can I have my towel please?" But he didn't budge. I stepped out of the pool and tried yanking him off my towel that he decided he needed to sit on. He got up finally releasing my towel and I wrapped it around me, walking towards the garage. "Kara, you need this. I want to help you."

"You make it sound like I have a drinking problem."

"Just ask your mom and your bosses. It's only for a few days and you'll be right back home. I promise." I turned to look at him. If it wasn't his body that wasn't trying to convince me, his face was doing a hell of a job. He must have heard that button down shirts are a weakness of mine because he was working it.

He really wanted me to go with him. He has no idea what he's doing to me. I try to tell myself that we're just friends. That he just needs someone to tell him he's fucking up but it's things like this that are causing me to read into everything the wrong way. Pat and I are just friends. But do I want something more? Ugh, I don't know.

"Please Kara."