Nowhere, Anywhere, Somewhere

Wife?

17

Brian's POV

I woke up the next morning still on the back porch, empty bottle of Jack in hand and marching band in head. 

I shifted in the chair, stretching as I stood up. 

" Fuck" I muttered, feeling my back pop back into place. 

After I pulled that dumbass move last night, I don't know how to be around Meg anymore. 

I felt my pocket vibrate and I pulled it out 

Incoming Call: Michelle

I groaned slightly, clearing my throat before answering.

" Hey babe." I tried to sound happy. 

" Brian Elwin Haner Jr.!" she screeched, making me flinch. 

I sighed,"Hey Michelle. I was just about to call you-"

" - just about to call?!?! You were supposed to call as soon as your flight landed! Yesterday! I've been worried sick-"

I pulled the phone away from my ear as she continued to yell. 

I've always hated that about her. She yells too much. 

That thought hit me hard. 
Why had I never realized it before?

" Look, baby. I'm sorry. The fucking service out here is really shitty. You have no idea." I lied. 

I heard her heavy breathing calm down and she sighed,"I'm sorry...it's just, you being so far away- it makes me nervous. And I don't trust that girl, Megan what's-her-face. "

My eyebrows rose and I pulled out a cigarette, lighting it and taking a hit. 

" Why not? Meg's  a really great person, ya know. All the guys love her. " I mentioned, feeling my temper rise. 

How could anyone not like Meg?

But who the fuck am I trying to fool?

My wife is telling me she doesn't like the girl who I kissed last night. 

Wonderful. 

" Whatever Brian." My wife scoffed," Just stay away from her. That slutty country bumpkin needs to know that she can't have you-"

" Slutty Country Bumpkin?! Are you serious! What the fuck Michelle?! Are you jealous or some shit?!" I yelled back. 

" I'm not going to argue about this Brian. "

" Good!" I said, tapping my cigarette in the ash tray," Drop the subject. I'll be home tomorrow morning. See you then. " I hung up and groaned. 

Another fight with my wife. Just what I need. 

" You okay man?" I heard a voice ask. 

I turned to see Will, Megan's brother, standing in the doorway. 

I scoffed," No. " I ran my hand through my messed up hair and almost whined. 

I hate bad hair days. 

" Sounds like it. Got into a fight with your wife?" he asked, coming to sit beside me. 

He held a cup of coffee and propped his feet up on the  rail. 

I shot him a look," How did you know I was-"

" Meg."

I nodded. " Oh. Yeah. She doesn't trust me or some shit. It's kinda getting old if you know what I mean?"

Will nodded, looking out at the Texas sky. 

" Yeah get ya man. So dad's gonna be home in a few. His flight came in early. "

I groaned," Great. Parents never like me. Especially dads."

He rose a blonde eyebrow at me and in that moment I could see the resemblance between Meg and him. 

" Mom liked you. "

I smiled, nodding," True. Any of the guys awake?" I asked,putting out my cigarette and getting up to go into the kitchen. 

He nodded. And said nothing. 

I rolled my eyes, and walked in the house. 
Instantly the smell of bacon his me. 
Meg stood at the stove, back to me as she flipped bacon and stirred eggs. 

She wore a plain white tee and    some short blue pajama shorts, golden hair thrown up in a messy bun. 

I gulped. 
" Morning." I greeted, sitting at the large kitchen table. 

She stiffened, turning to look at me. 
" Mornin'. The guys are in the livin room. Told them I'd call them in when breakfast was done. " her voice was distant and impersonal but a bit scratchy. And between that and her puffy red eyes I knew she had been crying, and that it was my fault. 

" Shit. " I muttered, taking her hint and leaving, finding my way into the living room. 

Everyone offered some form of greeting as I sat down on the leather sofa, right next to Jimmy. 

" Have a nice sleep, Syn?" Matt smirked, flipping the channels on the flat screen. 

I narrowed my eyes," Fuck you, shads. "