Status: I love comments :)

How to Save a Life

Sickness

Zane’s Point of View

By the time I finally got the water to run clear instead or rust brown, and the heat to actually circulate heat instead of dust three days had passed. Emily and I both had fallen under the weather. Her worse then I though. She had Whopping Cough. That old lady that dropped off the cookies told me that. She and her husband came over to help. The husband assisted in fixing up the house, the woman was an ex-nurse, so she tended to Emily’s wounds. We made up a story for them, I told them that she was jumped in an alley. I told them that she found her way home to me after she got away. They believed it. I was thankful for that.

Very carefully I picked up the plastic cow-head shaped cup. Trying not to spill the chicken broth I brewed to sooth her sore throat. The old lady-whom we now called granny- told me that I was not to kiss Emily, and that I was to wear a breathing mask every time I was around her. She was highly contagious, I was the only one who was here to cook for her and make sure she ate. If I got sick, we’d both be screwed.

She also told me what Emily was feeling. She said that Emily’s throat hurt horribly, enough to wear she didn’t want to eat because it hurt to swallow. She told me to make her plenty of soup because it would sooth the aching feeling in her throat. Emily was to stay put on our new couch-given to us from them as well- and rest as much as she could. Only talk when she has to because it could damage her vocal cords. I felt so horrible that I allowed her to get sick.

I knocked on the bathroom door, then opened it. Slipping in without letting the heat escape. Carefully I set the cup down then turned to look at Emily. She was laying in a ball in the corner of the tub, rocking back and forth. Her skin was bright pink from the heat of the water and steam was raising off her soaking wet hair. Quickly I reached over to her to pull her out of the hot water and wrap her in a ratty old brown green towel.

“That water is way to hot, darling. Don’t burn yourself.” I whispered in a soft gentle voice. Sitting on the toilet to curl her in my lap. Pressing my paper covered lips to the top of her wet head.

“I-I just w-want the f-frostbite to go away.” She rasped quietly. Starting to gasp from a cough. Her breathing became hoarse. I patted her back, trying to help her clear her air ways. She leaned onto me to stop herself from falling off my lap. “Z-Zane.” She whined.

I turned away from her to sneeze. Which just shot me back in the face due to the breathing mask. I gagged a bit. Really, if I have to choose the one thing I hate the most, being sick is it.

“I know it hurts. But you’ve got medication, it will start to help soon I promise. Here, I put some into your soup.” I reached for the cup then handed it to her. She held it tightly in her red hands. I looked at her frostbite, it was just a really pale color now. I honestly think that it will be better soon. At least I really hope. Emily took a sip and made a face. I chuckled a bit. “Can you tell?” She nodded. “Well, I just hope we both get better soon.” Again she nodded. At least we were beginning to agree on something.
♠ ♠ ♠
Read me
I actually had whopping cough last winter. The doctor told my dad that i had to eat each meal because I was skipping them because it hurt to bad to swallow. Not to mention talking and breathing. When I talked it was so raspy and quiet that you couldn't understand me. It was horrible.
I actually have songs for each chapter now if you want to go check them out.
Please don't be a silent reader
Song of the chapter Down With The Sickness By: Disturbed.