Status: I love comments :)

How to Save a Life

Failed attempt

Emily’s Point of View

He flew down the road. Every so often glancing over at me. Making sure I wasn’t doing anything stupid. Like getting ready to open the door and jump out for example. Which the snow would cushion my fall, but he’d catch me. It’d take me a minute or two to get up, and then force myself to run. For him it’d take him two seconds to pull over, and about three to steal me back. Then give him a minute to smack and yell at me. It wasn’t worth the pain.

The tracks of the couple that escaped disappeared at the side of the road. Thank god, they found a ride. They are safe. He’ll never find them again. This was going to be a good day. I saved a life. They will live. Maybe, I’ll be saved. That man promised. He said at least a week. That’s all I have to survive. Another week.

He pulled to the side of the road. Cursing then stepping out. Thinking, I rubbed my bare foot up my leg. Feeling the smooth skin. I might be able to get away now. But the chance of freezing was extremely high. I have no shoes and a sun dress on. This might not be the best idea, but I’m going to try. I have to. There’s such a high chance that he would move us. I can’t sit around anymore. If I ran, he’d have to stay until he found me. Then the cops would find him, and hopefully find me. This might be my only chance. The last one left.

Carefully and quietly, I pulled open the lock. Making sure the door was unlocked. I have to wait until he gets in. Then he’ll have to get out again to catch me. If I run into the woods, he can’t take his truck. I have no idea if he’s a fast runner of not, but I’d rather take my chances with him then his truck.

He cursed again then walked back to the truck. Forcing his way in then slamming the door. Punching the steering wheel. Which in turn blared the horn. I jumped. Listening to him begin to breath heavily out his nose. Now was my chance.

Well he took the time to calm down, I moved as quickly as I could. Kicking the door open then taking off. Hoping that he was at least stunned and it took a minute for him to react. I didn’t hear his door open, so I knew my plan was working so far. I’ve just got to keep running.

The frozen snow was painful. It felt like I was stabbing my toes with a knife. The cold air made it hard to breath. Like I was sucking in water. I felt drowned, which only made me feel like I was giving up already. But unless his hands catch me, I can’t stop.

“Emily! Stop! You won’t survive out here!” His voice screamed. Sounding desperate, but it also gave away that he wasn’t following. I’ve got the upper hand here. I might get out. “Emily!”

I just blocked out his voice. If he wasn’t following yet, I’m going to make it. The snow began getting deeper. It was getting harder to run. I was more like stumbling along the forest floor. The snow was getting so deep that it was up to my knees. It hurt. It wasn’t that I was cold, which believe me I was. But it felt like my legs were getting stiff.

Twenty minutes at the very most. The truck was out of my sight. He never followed. But I was beat now. The weather proved to strong, like I knew it would. But I didn’t expect it to start snowing yet again. That’s what brought me down. It made me fall into the snow, and stay there. To cold to force myself up.

That’s where I lay now. Shaking like a leaf in a wind storm. I regret leaving the warmth of the truck. I might have survived there. The old house might have been saving my life. Why did I leave? How could I have left? I could be going crazy, but I’m longing for him to show his face now. For him to step out from behind a tree. Be a hero for once. But from the way it was snowing, I doubt he can find me now. This could very well be the end of my life.

I did the unthinkable then. I allowed myself to fall asleep. Hoping that maybe if I slept, my dreams could make me warm again. Only in my mind of course. But the dreams didn’t help anything. Though they did keep me asleep until dark. Which scared me when I woke up. Buried in snow. Still shivering. But the sound of a quad in the distance made my hopes rise. Someone besides me was out here. I’ve got to get their attention.

“EMILY!” I listened closely to the voice. It was his. I don’t really care, all I want is for him to find me. To get me warm again.

“O-over h-here.” I shook. Not being able to sound very loud. The sound of the engine being cut off echoed though the trees. He was close, I could hear him stepping down, I might even see his flashlight in the distance. Please be close.

“EMILY!” He called again. I racked my head for his name. Something with a z. I need to call his name. He has to find me. I can’t stay out here anymore. Zane, his name was Zane.

“Z-Zane!” I shook, trying desperately to get out his name. It was hard, but he heard. His flashlight swung to the general direction I was in. He stood perfectly still for a few seconds. Searching for another sound. “Z-Zane!” He heard it again, then took off. Running to the sound of my voice. Feet crunching loudly over the snow. I tried to push my way up-so he could see me, but I couldn’t find the strength to lift my head, let alone force my way out of the snow.

Thankfully, he saw the shape of my body under the pile of snow. The flashlight’s light fell right onto me. I felt relief wash over my body. I was saved. I’m not going to die. I’m safe.
Zane reached me. Kneeling at my side. Setting down the flashlight to reach into the pile and pulled me out. His hands were warm. He was warm. I found myself tucking myself against him as he hugged my shivering body. He was the happiest I’ve ever seen him.

“I’m s-sorry.” I whimpered. Clutching myself to him. Not believing that I was apologizing to him. That I was happy that he found me.

“Shh, we’ve got to get home.” I didn’t like how nice he was being. I’m not stupid, I know he’s ticked. What’s he going to do to me?

He didn’t make me walk. He carried me back though the woods. Still holding me close. Like he was happy to have me back. Not mad that I ran, just happy that I was back.

I was right about the quad. He drove the old red thing out in the woods for probably about 4 miles. I’m surprised it still ran. For the year I was here, I’ve never heard him so much as take it out of the barn. I’m generally surprised that it made it this far to be able to find me. Unless he towed it with the truck out here. That would explain why it took him so long to get here.

He set me on the front, the swung himself on behind me. Leaving one arm around my waist. Starting the quad with the other. I allowed myself to lean against him still. Soaking in his warmth. It just made me hurt more though. Like it was un-thawing me.

Finally we took off. It jerked around a bit, but was still pretty fast. I was astounded. I honestly didn’t think that would work. But we’re on our way back to the warm heated house. I’m going to survive. Well, unless he decides to kill me. He probably would. I ran. He always kills you if you run. But right now I don’t care, I just want him to keep me warm.

I didn’t make it as far as I thought I had. He made it back to the road within three minutes. But then again he was probably traveling forty miles an hour. He pulled up to the truck. So I was right, he hauled it here. I knew this old thing wasn’t capable of making it that far.

Zane shut it off right next to the truck. Then hopped off, helping me off. Making sure to keep me off the cold ground. He opened the door or the truck then helped me inside. Pulling a blanket from the back onto me, then shut the door. He reloaded the quad. Strapping it in. I didn’t like having to watch him, because lets be honest, this blanket wasn’t nearly as warm as he was. If I said this last year, I would’ve killed myself. I want to wrap myself in his arms and hold myself there. I need to get warm, he was just about my only option.

He climbed in. Starting the truck, blaring the heater, then turning to me. “I told you not to go.” He growled. I might have scared him, but I forced myself into his side. Nuzzling against it. Clutching myself there. Not allowing him to pull me away. “Emily, don’t run again. You’re lucky I found you. If I hadn’t found you, you’ve would’ve been dead by morning.”

He actually held me for awhile. Stroking my dark red frozen hair. Trying to get me to stop shaking. Warm me up maybe. It was nice to see him acting like a human being again. Maybe it wasn’t horrible here. I have something that I never had before him. I have someone who looks after me, who cares for me. He may be a murderer, but he was a sweetheart, I know that for sure. But the thing is, that he might never be able to break that hard outer shell. He could kill me at anytime. Why was I allowing myself to open up to him?
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like it, I sure do. I'm proud of this one :)
This is Emily's Sundress, Zane of course bought it. Emily's sundress
Song of the chapter: Won't Back Down By; Eminem