Status: I love comments :)

How to Save a Life

Hide now!

Emily's Point Of View

"What's that?" He whispered. Wide eyed as we pulled up to the express way ramp that led off to Kentucky. There was a line of cop cars. Stopping each car and asking for IDs. They were looking for someone. If it was Zane they were looking for, we are screwed. "Crap, Em. Get in the back seat. Cover up with the blanket and just stay quiet." He growled. Using one hand to shove me back there when he thought I was moving to slow. But hey, its not my fault if I move to slow when I'm drugged.

He growled again when I struggled to get the blanket unfolded and shove myself under it. Trying to at least look like I was sleeping. But I snuck a peak when I felt the truck groan to a stop.

Zane's window rolled down and a flashlight was shined inside. The smell of the cop was so strong that I could detect it through the blanket. It was a strong smelling colon. A hint of wood as well. I didn't like the smell.

"May I see your ID?" The cop's gruff voice questioned. Zane's shuffling was loud, and I heard the glove box open. Ever so carefully I squinted so I could see. Hoping that I still looked like I was sleeping. The cop was dressed in his uniform, and had a big bushy brown beard. He was also bald. The sight of him made made uncomfortable. "Zane Clearfeild?"

"Yes sir." I've never heard Zane sound more nice. He really has a good cover up, if you knew him in really life you would never recognize that voice. But he gave the cop the right ID. Did he plan that? Or grab the wrong one?

"What a shocker there. Where's that step father of yours?" The cop growled. "He just broke out of prison."

"I'm not sure Sir, I haven't seen him since he was put in there. I have no desire to see that man." Zane informed. Of course they had to know that Zane was related to him. They are going to want to search the car.

"Who is in the back, Zane?" The cop questioned. The light shining back onto me. I felt myself freeze.

"That's Emily. She's my girlfriend. You can search my truck if you would like. All I have in here is that pistol, but I've got the papers for that as well." Zane promised. The cop nodded that instructed him to pull to the side. Zane rolled up his window and did just that. "Don't say a word. You have no ID, and your last name is Reed. Got it?" He's eyes met mine through the rear view mirror. I nodded. "I'm going to keep pretending that you are sleeping, so I'm going to have to wake you up." Again I nodded. He open the door and stepped out. Shutting in again. I heard some of the cops start talking to him.

"I haven't seen you in a while, Zane. Keeping out of trouble?" One of the questioned.

"Oh ya, I moved back up to Michigan when I heard he was in jail. I'm going back down to Kentucky to get a job. Lost my old one up here." Zane explained. Opening the back of the truck. "Wake up, Em." He demanded. When he talked to me he sounded desperate. I don't really blame him. I'm scared to. Zane helped me out and grabbed my boots as he did so. Keeping the blanket around my shoulders. I leaned down to tug the boots on. Not really looking around at all the cops. Zane just kept me in his arms and pretended to try and keep me warm.

One of the cops opened the tail gate and truck topper. "A bed? Really?"

"Come on, don't judge me. I have no money to pay for the hotel. It was either sleep in the truck or go hungry." Zane chuckled. The cop hopped in the back and dug through the blankets. Searching for weapons, Zane's stepfather, and drugs. Another cop opened the glove box in the front. Pulling out the gun. "Papers are somewhere in there for that."

"What about these?" The cop pulled out a bag of pill bottles.

"Some aspirin, pain pills, cough meds." Zane informed. "They are prescribed, don't worry."

"Ya, for an Emily Reed. Who is that?" The cop demanded.

Zane chuckled again. "This is Emily." Patting the top of my head. Another car was pulled to the side. More cops walked over to that one. Looking tired. It had to be three in the morning and they were out here searching cars. I feel bad for them.

"Oh, okay. I don't see anyone in here. I think you are good. But you call the cops if you step father contacts you." The cop demanded. Climbing out.

Zane nodded. "I hope you find him." Then he pulled me back over to the truck. Helping me inside then slamming the door again. I felt a sigh of relief wash over me. A cop knocked on the window again. Zane rolled it down. "Yes, Sir?"

"Where's your mother Zane?"

Zane seemed to freeze himself now. "Do you think she's safe? I haven't seen her since last year. I hope she's alright."

"I do to. I doubt she's safe though. He's probably looking for her. How about your brother?"

"Detroit. I seen him last week, I'll give Peter a call to look out for him." Zane promised. The cop nodded then allowed us to leave. I don't think I have ever seen Zane look so relived in his life. He was even starting to shake. "God. He ruins everything. I hate that man."
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't be a silent reader please :)
Song of the chapter Riding Dirty by: Chamillionaire