Status: I love comments :)

How to Save a Life

Zane

Zane’s Point of View

By the time we got to the hospital, Emily was asleep. Once I had shut up she was out like a light. It worried me that she was still shaking though. Her feet and hands were almost blue, the tips the each finger and toe were definitely blue. I felt totally responsible. Why did I let her go? I could’ve caught her in an instant. Why did I let her run?

Was it a deep feeling of hope for her? That maybe she would get lucky like the others, and make it? Of course I wanted her to be happy. I knew she hated it with me, I knew how much she wanted to be home. But I also knew how they treated her back home. No friends, no loved ones. She was just as better off here. I treated her better, she lived better with me. I don’t want her to leave.

I knew she wouldn’t make it. I knew that as soon as she ran for the woods. But why didn’t I go after her then? Maybe a punishment. I’m not sure. But when I found her, I felt a feeling of ease. Knowing that she was okay. That she wasn’t dead. I got the same feeling when I saved her from my mother. She was mine, I didn’t want her to be killed. Like I said, she’s the only one who has ever been truly nice to me. I’m not letting that go.

“What happened?” The doctor questioned as he wrapped her feet in gauze. I looked away from her face. She was just waking up, I didn’t want her to say anything. I was afraid she would tell them everything. I can’t loose her.

“We were arguing, and she left. I didn’t relies she wasn’t wearing shoes or a coat.” I explained. Turning back to her. She nodded weakly. Still looking at me. I really hope she doesn’t say anything.

“What were you arguing about that made her so upset? If you don’t mind me asking.” He asked. I really wish he would stop asking. I’m not full of answers. Emily will want the answers as well. I’m going to have to stick to what I say.

“I’m moving.” I sighed. “She doesn’t want me to leave, but I really have no choice in the matter.” He finished her foot then pinned it off. “How’s she going to fix up.”

“Fine, she’ll fix up fine.” He chuckled. “She doesn’t have horrible frostbite, it’ll be a little painful, but she won’t loose anything.” Good, I wouldn’t take it well if she lost a toe or a finger. It really was my fault. The guilt in me told me that, I can’t forget it. “Allergic to anything, Emily?”

“Penicillin.” She informed. Hm, she never told me that. I’m glad I know it now. If I drugged her and it had Penicillin in it, she could die. That’s horrible to even think about.

“Oh, well then.” The doctor smirked. “I guess you’ll have to rely on the good old out of the bottle pain killers.” Good, they’ll be cheaper. I need the cheapest I can find. Especially if we are moving. We can’t stay here. I have no money to pay for this hospital visit, how am I going to get us a new house? Food. That’s the real problem, I’m sure I can at least get a cheep apartment. But how am I going to feed us? Not to mention the gas prices are horrendous. How am I even going to get us where we are going? Where ever that is. “I can’t do much for her. The most I could do was dress the frostbite. We’re lucky she doesn’t have hypothermia. She’ll be fine though. Just let her rest in bed, and tend to the frostbite and she’ll be fine.”

“I don’t have anything to pay for this, I have no clue what to do.” I sighed. Regretfully looking up at him. I expected that he would give me a filthy look. But what I got, was the look of understanding. I didn’t quite understand it myself.

“I went through a bit of a rough patch though collage. I know how it feels to have no money, I understand. You won’t have to pay, I didn’t do much for her. Dressing wounds is easy work, its going to be fine. I’m sure you’ll land a good job for yourself. Just promise me that you’ll come back for this girl, if she did this because she was upset that you were leaving, imagine what she would do if you never came back.”

Ya, only if it were true that I was truly leaving her. But that’ll never happen. I wouldn’t leave her even if I were dead. I’ll always be in her thoughts. Even if she escapes me. What I’ve done to this lovely girl will never leave her mind. I’ve stolen her, cared for her, made her cry, most everything that could happen in a year has.

When she fall sick, I helped her get better. When she cried, I stayed until she stopped. I’ve acted as a friend and an enemy. I’ve been there for her and I haven’t. But the most important thing I’ve done for her, I’ve kept her alive. I’ve saved her life. More then once actually.

“Thank you.” I whispered.

“Just get her out here, make sure she gets home.” He insisted.

So I did, I scooped up her tiny package and held it close. Tucking her soft face against my warm neck. She did seem quite comfortable there. Her fingers felt nice against my chest. It was like a little spell she had on me. It made me never wan to put her down. To feel her against my chest the whole time. But I wasn’t that stupid. A friend was a friend, I can’t let her be more then my friend. With my family, that’d end her life. I can’t do that. There’s only one person in the whole wide world who I trust with her, and our little secret. The only person in my family worth trusting. My brother, Peter. He was the lucky one.

He was the only one in my family who’s normal. He led a normal life. But that was because the state took him away from my mother and father when he was 14. Peter was given a loving family and someone to help him get over the abuse. But for some reason my case never won. I was left with my parents. Told to take what ever I want, that’s what became of the kidnapping of Emily. I was just the one who collected them, mom always decided who was supposed to become our prisoner. At first it was to give father someone to use as a punching bag over us. When father finally left mom just didn’t stop. She got them to point the blame on me. I shouldn’t have brought Emily into it, but all I was longing for was a friend. I got that out of her. Mom knew that. She didn’t like it. Emily was my mothers worst enemy. She tried to end Emily’s life, and I ended hers. I know it was wrong, but did I have a choice at all?

Once outside well walking to the truck, I began finding the words in my brain to speak to Emily. But I just had to decide how I wanted to say them.

“Does it hurt?” I whispered. Moving one arm to open the door on the dark green thing I called my truck. Setting her in the front passenger seat. Wrapping her in that thin blanket once again.

“No, I’m fine. I promise.” She whimpered. Fingers still on my chest. Almost clutching onto my shirt.

“Okay, then we’re running. My brother will get me back on my feet then we’ll be fine again.” I don’t know if I believe that myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
See he does have a heart lol te-he.
DON'T BE A SILENT READER! Thanks.
Song Of The Chapter Fix You By;Coldplay