Status: Active

Monster

a gaping hole

Draco awoke still sprawled out across the blue duvet, his cheek pressed against the fabric in a way that he was sure left a mark. He looked up blearily to the window across the room, watching the rain fall in sheets. For a few blissful seconds, Draco enjoyed the feeling of being fully rested and calm. He closed his eyes and grinned.

From the door, a voice cleared. Draco lifted his head to look at Potter. “Yes?” Draco croaked, his throat still not used to speaking after almost a month of silence.

“I’ve brought you food,” Potter said cheerfully. “I figured it’d be nice to let you sleep in a little, and I know you’re uncomfortable with all the people that have been coming and going today.” He crossed the room to Draco’s bed and set a dinner tray full of food on the table next to him.

Draco sat up and picked up the glass of water, taking small sips reminiscent to the ones he took while imprisoned. Stomach churning, he placed it back on the tray and slid backwards until his back rested comfortably against the smooth white wall. “So, Potter, how’s the wizarding world? Fairing well after you played savior for the filth of the world?”

Potter’s smile disappeared as he sat on his own bed and Draco found himself missing the cheery curl of his lips a bit. “Yes, Malfoy,” the half-blood muttered darkly, “things have been going quite well. The Order is doing its part to rebuild and right what’s wrong.”

Draco absently tugged at a loose thread on the duvet. “And will Hogwarts be open next year?”

Potter’s brow furrowed and Draco caught a glimpse of Potter’s famous scar crinkle under the boy’s dark mop. “Not sure yet. Why exactly do you care, Malfoy?”

“I don’t know,” Draco answered quickly and defensively. “I did live in that world my whole life, Potter.”

“You can’t mean you miss it when you tried so hard to destroy it!”

Draco ran a trembling hand over his trousers and clutched the material at his slightly bent knee. “I tried to make it a better place!” I thought I was doing the right thing! Draco added to himself silently.

Potter stood suddenly, knocking his knee against the bedside table. Water sloshed out of the glass and seeped into the bread of a ham and cheese sandwich. “Think again, Malfoy,” he seethed. “Also, you have a huge line on the side of your face.” Draco’s hand flew up to his face and he massaged his cheek, watching as Potter continued stomping out of the room in such a fashion that would have made the old Draco gleeful at least. All Draco could feel now though is a gaping hole in his stomach. Figuring it was just hunger, he picked up the sodden sandwich and bit down.

Despite the soggy texture to it, it was actually kind of good. Good enough for Draco to eat it in only four rapid mouthfuls. When he was done, he stroked his cheek with his thumb once more. Yes, it was just the hunger. Of course.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my, I've been gone for quite a while.

Thank you so much for your lovely, inspiring comments:
maxx danziger, canine., SingingSinner, wide_eyed_jokers, and dumb_dumb.

Also, my birthday is on January 31st... so a great birthday present would be a comment from you? Thanks. :)