Status: 415 words

Night

the end

Your hair smells like lilacs and your hand is gripping mine so tightly, it hurts, but it reminds me you’re still here, for now. I breathe you in and lift my head so I can look into your eyes, wide like a doe's. We know this is it.

It is pitch black outside, but that’s all right. The dark is kind, gentle, like your lithe fingers pushing through my hair. Time seems to be passing by so quickly but here in this bed, everything is slow and beautiful. Kisses light as your laughter, though there hasn’t been any of that tonight.

We don’t speak because we don’t need words, they’re too clumsy and loud and they could break this moment, still perfect in the dark. We only need hands and eyes and each other, to touch and see and love.

Sometime in this sea of you and me, blues streak across the black out of your window. I look at you, into you sharply, ruining the lethargic calm we had before. You stare back and there’s something else in your eyes, something desperate and I recognize it because I feel it to.

Your hand squeezes mine even tighter, your eyes well up with tears so I kiss your eyelashes, and then try to take in every inch of you because this is it. There is nothing but you and me and the sunrise, that fucking sunrise. I beg God to let this night last a little longer, because with every second there’s less dark and less time and less you. This is it.

I hold you and bow my head down, hoping that if I closed my eyes, the dark would come back, but the light just makes you look so goddamn beautiful, and I know in that moment that there is no one else for me, and the look on your face as the sun starts to push past the trees tells me there is no one else for you.

I will never get to see you again. I will never kiss your lips again, propose to you, have kids with you, get a dog and name it Sully with you.

I try to fit your love in me, in this moment, because this is it. I try to fit a life’s worth of love in me, in this moment, because this is it.

There’s the sun.

There’s everything I wanted, gone with the night.

No more you and me. Just you. Just me.
♠ ♠ ♠
This piece was inspired by a dance choreographed by Travis Wall to Ingrid Michaelson's Turn to Stone. Melanie Moore and Marko Germar danced to it on So You Think You Can Dance, and it was absolutely beautiful and every time I watch it I am moved. I was actually kind of emotional while writing this.

If you want to watch it, something I think you should do, click here.