Status: Active.

City Traffic Puzzle

Day 7.

"Jack, he's gone," sighed Rian, trying to speak words of reason as he pulled himself up to sit on a battered leather couch, "Look, I'm real fucking sorry, and it hurts me ever so much too, but you've got to live your own life too. You have to look after yourself now, because that's what's important. I'm trying to give you time but I don't think your emotions are healthy right now. It's almost scary to watch, Jack."

With a faint sigh, Jack nodded and let out a small smile. He knew his friend was right, but somehow he felt terrified to let go, because that was the same as moving on, and deep inside he knew that moving on was like putting the nail in Alex's coffin.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled, dragging his feet back and forth along the carpet, "But I can't let go of this little bit of hope."

The next fifteen seconds seemed to be never-ending, but it was Jack that finally opened his mouth to explain himself.

"Rian, think about it. We've got news that Alex has died, but they never found his body - "

"We've been told the body has been found," Rian interrupted gently, knowing where Jack's fragile imagination was headed.

"Exactly what I mean," Jack quickly retorted, "They've told us they've found a body, but then why aren't they letting us have a burial? If they've got the body, and he really was killed with violence, surely they could put him in a casket for his family and friends? Thing is, they haven't given us Alex's body and that's what makes me think there might not even be a body at all."

Heart hammering in his chest, Jack exhaled quickly, feeling sick from admitting the madness in the walls of his mind.

"Jack, he's dead. I hate to say it like this, but he's gone forever."

"No he's not," he mumbled quietly, tears welling up in his eyes, "Alex isn't dead, but he's scared, trapped and hopelessly alone. These people, the ones you think you can trust, well they want us to give up on him. They're trying to make us forget him so they can rip him away from us forever. You might have forgotten him but I still have hope."

The sun was still high in the sky, but it felt as though the conversation had lasted into the deepest hours of the night. Both men could hardly bear to let out a word, but they knew this short exchange of words was for the best in the future.

"I'm so sorry to say this, Jack, but you have too much hope."

"I know. I'm the most hopeful person in the world, and sometimes, I'm the saddest, most let down and disappointed person in the world. But then I'm hopeful that I'll be happier the next day, and it works, and that's why I don't let go of my hopes."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M SO SORRY THAT THIS STORY DIDN'T UPDATE FOR LIKE A MONTH OH MY GOD I MISSED WRITING THIS GKJHDFS