Status: one shot, completed.

Ripples

one of one.

The pond sparkled beneath the warm southern California sunlight, the trees left behind from the storm looking bare and naked, their branches laying beside the small deposit of water like the clothes of last night. The only green thing that remained were the bushes, full and lush. They appeared to be the only things untouched. The pond was peaceful, quiet. There was almost no sound, no movement. The dirt was still wet and squishy from the pounding water, and the pond seemed to push all boundaries previously laid. It was nothing like she remembered it.

She walked along the edge, her black Vans barely touching the crystal clear water. Her hair was in her eyes, and her thin frame was even thinner since the incident had begun. She wrapped her bare arms around her waist, feeling her hipbones through her jean shorts. Her mind was racing, but she was coherent enough to slip off her Vans and socks before sitting by the water, tucking her knees to her chest and pressing her face into them. She didn't know how to feel. Was she supposed to feel relieved, that she no longer bore a secret that could mean the end of her perfect little girl reputation, or feel crushed by the weight that she was now, in all forms of the word, completely and totally alone.

She remembered little from last night, but remembered the way his face had looked when he realized what she had done. She sighed, rubbing her face with her small palms. Her stomach grumbled, but she ignored it. Since she had met him, she had felt like she would never be skinny enough, never pretty enough, never good enough. So she had piled on lots of makeup, and pretended to be someone she was not, as well as starving herself to look skinnier. She sighed again, taking a deep breath and looking into the depths of the pond, the pond where they had met.

She gazed into the pond's depths like it was a mirror. She hardly recognized the girl looking back at her. Her makeup, heavily piled on to make her look prettier than she believed she was, was smudged from crying, and her fat body seemed to burst from her clothes. She tried a smile, but realized she had forgotten what her smile looked like. In a burst of anger, she screamed as loud as she could, not caring who heard her or who judged her for it. She pushed sticks out of her way, adrenaline pulsing through her veins and she took a stick and stabbed her reflection.

At first, it was a gentle tap, causing ripples to distort her face, like the ripples that had appeared around her once healthy frame and face that caused it to distort into something it wasn't, and like the ripples of light that had warped around her to leave her in permanent darkness, her smile never bright enough to bring her out. She was trapped, and it was all his fault. She realized this, and with a smug look of anger across her features, she threw the stick across the pond, splitting it against a branch and using both hands to make her reflection disappear.

The Anna everyone loved would reappear, leaving behind the Anna that everyone hated behind for him to savor as he lay alone in bed at night, wishing he hadn't let her go.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi! this is my first original one shot, so thoughts?

i kind of like it, haha. that sounds so bad! but i worked hard on this, so please tell me what you liked or did not like about it. thank you so much!