Status: ACTIVE - updated every Wednesday :)

Stories Yet To Unfold

Sad Girls

Jeff’s P.O.V

Loud, echoing laughs were heard throughout my house. All five of my best friends were seated accordingly around my living room in their usual spots. Each of us telling the funniest news we’ve heard and planning some things to do with All Time Low. We were trying desperately hard to get them on a tour, but of course we got off task once again.

“So, single again, Gaskarth?” I asked him as my last laugh was sounded.

“Of course,” he shrugged in a way that showed he honestly did not care. “She was honestly too weird for me. Danielle kind of creeped me out in ways I can’t even explain. I mean who collects fucking dead spiders, I mean really?”

A knock sounded at the door and my face scrunched up in confusion. I didn’t remember inviting anybody else over other than these five. Everyone hushed themselves for me to open the door and see who it was.

When I did, I was surprised to see a middle-aged woman and a young, teenage girl behind her. The woman soon spoke. “Are you Mr. Jeff Maker the second?”

“That is me,” I answered slowly – completely confused about why exactly this woman was at my door. As I spoke I saw the brunette girl pull her blue suitcase closer to her body.

“Well, we have a bit of a situation, Mr. Maker,” she began as I nodded for her to continue on.

“This young girl right here is Melissa Chicker. Her mother, Amanda Chicker, just got admitted into a prisonfor a twenty year sentence and has no place to say.”

A small portion of sympathy fell over me for the girl as I asked a question. “What does this
have to do with me though, ma’am? I’ve never seen her before and I’m only 24.”

“We understand this, but you are her second cousin,” she explained. “And I am speaking for the government as I ask you this: Can you provide care for Ms. Chicker for another four years and legally adopt her?”

My eyes widened with surprised. “A child? I mean I don’t know if I can take care of her. I mean, I just, I just can’t.”

“Well, if you deny her this home then she will have to go to orphanage,” she informed me.
“This means she’ll stay there until someone adopts her or provides a foster home for her. It’s really backed up so I am not sure when this will occur for her.”

“Look, Melissa,” I directed towards the brown-eyed girl. “I’m really sorry, but I just can’t take care of you, I’m too young. I’m very sorry and I wish you the best of luck.”

She shrugged and wiped a tear from her eye. “It’s okay, it’s not like you can just take in a fourteen year old in on such a quick basis. Thank you though, Jeff.”

My face turned to a frown as I saw her tears. I could so obviously tell that she was hiding a lot more tears in her body as she spoke. It felt as if each word she spoke made her break her calm look bit by bit. I could literally feel my heart break as I saw her speak.

“What about my mom, can she take care of her?” I suggested with hope.

The woman sighed. “We have already been there and she refused to take her because she hated Amanda so much. She apologized to Melissa then slammed the door; she simply would
not take her.”

“Oh,” I trailed off.

“Well, we must be getting on our way to the orphanage,” the woman said. “Thank you for your time, Mr. Maker.”

“It’s no problem,” I fake-smiled as I closed the white front door slowly. With that, I wiped a tear that fell from my eye and composed myself for my friends.

“What was that about?” Rian questioned curiously. “It seemed pretty serious.”

Before I could do anything, my mind started filling with her sad face again. With much courage,
I ignored Rian’s question and opened my door and called out to the white van in my driveway.
“Wait, I’ll take her.”

Melissa stuck her head out of the window and the woman showed me her perfectly white teeth. She motioned for Melissa to come out and she did, with her bag in hand once again. The blonde lady took paper work out of her car for me to sign as she spoke. “Here are all the things you need to fill out, let’s go into your house, if you don’t mind, to do it. It won’t take much longer than a half hour.”

I sighed. “Sure thing, you two come on in.”

I looked back at Melissa to see her examining everything on the house; her eyes filled with admiration. It made me smile that I could at least cure a bit of those tears that fell from her face. We made eye contact and she gave me a smile. In that moment, I knew I made the right decision – even if what I had in store for me was harder than I could ever imagine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys :). So, here is the beginning of the story of Melissa and Jeff - and I hope you like it! I have a lot planned and am honestly really excited about really getting into it :). Please comment and subscribe, it would really mean the world to me. Big thanks to the commenter and four subscribers already :). Just for you all to know: the band is 17 years old and Matt (their tour manager) is 19. I also know that this is a bit unlikely but this is fiction, so you know.Thank you all <3.